Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2013

Okay, so I guess I was the only Halloween "scrooge" this year! Previous years, I would spend at least $60 on bags of candy for the kids. The first kids are always the cutest, but later in the night the really older ones would come. The older kids didn't even bother dressing up and just stuck out their hands -- sometimes you would get a "trick or treat". We more than one last year that was like "that's it?" -- as we gave each kid 2-3 pieces. Another was apparently disappointed in our selection. I never see this many kids in my neighborhood so I always tell my hubby that I think they bus them in or something. =P. This year, we decided to spend that $60 on us for a nice dinner.

It was sprinkling where we were last night--but that didn't stop the trick or treaters! =)

Movie-- I echo Jeannie's sentiments!

• mtpeteacher
    mtpeteacher Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2013

I have a couple of questions that this group could enlighten me on, please ;)

1. What does your oncologist or surgeon say about imaging your breast area after DIEP or TRAM procedures? I had bilateral DIEP and my oncologist says a recurrence would most likely show up on the skin (he's never seen one himself on the chest wall) but the surgeon, I believe, says regular MRIs. A TRAM friend says her doctor wants her to still do mammograms! What are you being asked to do?

2. Anyone find any difference with their vaginal area or vaginal canal after DIEP?

Thanks for your feedback. We seem to get conflicting advice at time.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited November 2013

Jeannie you really do live in a magical place! Love the photos! 

Nihahi still laughing over the Wilbur comment!

It is always sad to me to see any wild animal performing tricks. I'm not such a fan of orcas in general.  Beautiful creatures to see in the wild, as long as I don't see them hunting.  So deadly to whale babies, dolphins, penguins. I always root for the little guys. It seems that every nature show on tv is focused on killing and predators lately.  Watch walking Dead if you want to see death and blood! I'm more into gardens, peace and Zen these days. Lol...

Gov. Chris Christy cancelled Halloween last year for NJ!!  My son was so upset. 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Both my PS and my MO say absolutely do NOT compress your flaps. No mammograms! My PS even wrote a letter for my BS who wanted a mammo. The protocol is MRI's. (according to my docs)

I only had a handful of trick or treaters in the wind and rain. They were still happy. I also believe that disappointment is part of growing up. Most kids had raincoats on over costume. It is what it is. We are a society of always trying to make it perfect for kids. In education we call it enabling. Life lessons!

MOVIE- Congrats on one year. I will be there in 11 days and I intend to toast with a glass of wine. I will still be in compression, but that's ok.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2013

mtpet....I hope you don't take offense....I pasted your message over onto the Diep thread. I thought it would be a better fit over there, and likely get more responses too.

bluebird....gotta say....a hurricane aftermath is a pretty good reason to shuffle the norm!!!! Things would have been scary enough in parts of NJ already!!!!

I used to give handfuls of candy to the cute little ones, and to the animated, happy kids. The ones that were taller than me, that came later in the evening, and had a costume that consisted of maybe a team jersey if anything at all....got one piece of candy while I looked them in the eyes....I guess that made me a scrooge too. Halloween is expensive....those little bags of candy....sheesh!!!!! Most years, our rule for costumes was.....it had to be able to fit over a snowsuit!!!!! What's a little rain for goodness sake! An umbrella is a wonderful invention.....makes a great spider accessory!!!!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited November 2013

I bought one big bag of candy at Costco, that's it . 150 pieces. I kept a few Twix and Nestlé Crunch for myself....The older kids, who were always boys and were un-costumed, were asked, "who are you supposed to be?" When they said, "Myself" I usually said "Not good enough." I'll never forget two teenagers who came to my door in California with no costumes. When I asked who they were supposed to be they said , "Serial killers. They look the same as anybody else." Chilling....

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

jeannie.....that last part of your message is downright scary...sheesh!!!!!!!!!! What a mindset of those kids!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2013

Movie, YAY on the one year! This next one can only be better, right?

Jeannie, agree with Nihahi about the 'serial killer' comment. Really? What's up with that? One would almost be too scared to tell them to shove off . . . which is what I probably would have done with my big mouth.

Cherrie, I'm having a mammogram on Monday morning. They will not come near my DIEP boob with that machine. When I see my PS in January I will ask her about this - did not get any pointers as to how the foob is to be monitored.

I am 6 months out from DIEP, and still have a sensitive spot close to the sternum. It is hard, and feels like a bump there. It probably is where the rib was cut, and the vessels were attached. How long before it goes away?

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited November 2013

I don't know what is going on with me today. Why the heck am I teary??? Can't blame hormones,....you're the only ones I can share this with. I don't like it.

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

"recovery" tears, sweetie.......You need to let an awful lot of emotions bubble around and out. Happens when you least expect it, but for me, often when I have made it past a "significant hurdle" of some kind. You're still on the rollercoaster of this whole thing...but it does get better. Pet your doggie, keep the tissues handy....deep breath. ((((X))))

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited July 2014

Jeannie, Plot twist!

I needed one of those twist myself. Acted mean to my bridge partner last night which was totally out of character. When I got home, yelled at DH for no good reason (that happens sometimes). I had to call my partner this morning to apologize. Maybe it's because we didn't get our Halloween candy? I am going to have a piece before going to play bridge again tonight Loopy. TGIF.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited November 2013

" Mama said there'd be days like this, there'd be days like this my mama said" ......hugs to the sad and grumpy ones!

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2013

Hugs Jeannie! And for the trick-or-treaters....kids these days sometimes really freak me out....

As for follow-up tests, my BS said absolutely no mammograms. He wasn't even for ultrasounds or MRIs. I'm ecstatic about the no mammogram thing (the only time I got one was being shoved from one room to the other after my doc said I shouldn't have to get mammograms yet because of my age only to find out about my breast cancer).

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

Jeannie- (((((hugs))))) this too shall pass. Thinking of you.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

Sorry about this, but it must be said. Go green!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

Friday night here.......hubby is recording a football game, "watching" (yeah right) a hockey game, oddly enough, his eyes are closed and his breathing is getting louder....yep, fun times tonight!!!!!!

quiet on the threads today....I'm guessing many are crashing after a Halloween sugar high Sick

• bailey6760
    edited November 2013

GO GREEN, CHERRIE.....it's you and me, sista! GO SPARTANS!!!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

I'm guessing there's a Michigan game tonight?????

• bailey6760
    edited November 2013

MSU vs.U of M tomorrow @ 3:30, Nihahi...we're just starting the trash talk early lol

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

omg.....I'm looking for somewhere to take shelter!!!!!!

• bailey6760
    edited November 2013

Sbel.......

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

Nice shoes! My daughter flew in to go to the game. I will be tailgating at home with my Dh and DGD. We will have our green on and sing our Spartan Fight Song.

Can't sleep. I went to bed at 10 so tired and here I am at 4:00. Been up since 2:30 AM. Damn!!!!!! I just want a good nights sleep.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

Bailey- I would break my ankles in those things, but they are fine shoes!!!!!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

You guys are such a hoot! I would need a wheeled walker to maneuver on those, or on sbe's shoes.

Cherrie....cut the crap and get some good sleep, girl. After your long trip, you're bound to be out of sync. Get that fitness routine started...you're gonna want to be able to get up and down those Seattle hills...there is so much to see out there. What part of Seattle does your son live in? My sister is in Queen Anne Hill district...gorgeous place!

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

Thanks Nihahi! He and his wife are in the Ballard area. You are right.........I definitely need to step up the fitness. Just getting over a cold. Maybe that is why I am dragging.

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

still snowing here (since around 8am) and I'm back from doing a few errands and obviously avoiding being functional.

hmmm....where's all the counter "talk" re: Michigan vs. Michigan..........looks like a "point awarded to the green team"!

jeannie.....hope today is a bit less emotional for you...still petting that sweet little doggie? Or have you put up the "gone fishin" sign?

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2013

Bailey, nice shoes, but I will defo break my neck in them. The sharp points are also not good for the bunions - LOL.

Jeannie, hope you're feeling better today? Sometimes there's just no rhyme or reason to why we feel down - it just happens. Life just wears you down now and then. Take a nice, long bubble bath, drink some wine, eat some chocolate, listen to your favorite music. Maybe it helps a little.

So windy, rainy and stormy here today that they cancelled the ferries. That hardly ever happens, because those ferries are big ships that can tolerate a lot. Winter is showing its teeth here . . . is it still snowing in Alberta, Nihahi?

So today I wandered into La Senza, and bought me some sexy underwear - have not done that in years! Felt so good though.

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

Yep, it hasn't stopped snowing AT ALL....since it started this morning. Wow....it must be bad for the ferries to be cancelled.

woohoo on the fancy lingerie, liefie.....Wonderful treat, and must mean you're feeling pretty great about how you're looking (which you should..you gorgeous thing you!!!).

• bailey6760
    edited November 2013

Yup, victory for MSU!  Fun game with family Thanksgiving (early)  as well. I love my family so much.....we have such a good time. 

• bailey6760
    edited November 2013

I am Christmas shopping....while lying in bed lol! The internet is the best thing EVER!!!