Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited November 2013

I do NOT care for those green shoes AT ALL! I did not watch football today--good thing--but I am a faithful Wolverine while my kids are there, at least. I rarely, rarely wear heels....

I am doing somewhat better today. DH leaves for a week in Chicago on Monday, which isn't helping. He used to travel a lot. I feel more vulnerable now and don't have the same friends or family to count on anymore because they've moved away. I'll just try to stay busy. i have a hort. class, my PS appt. in Seattle and maybe a coffee or lunch date .Yes, Nihahi, pup rarely leaves my side. He is a comfort and good company. Liefie, a bubble bath sounds really good but I'm not supposed to soak in hot water anymore. 😞 The wine, chocolate and music work for me, though! And you guys, of course. I think part of the tears yesterday were just feeling robbed by cancer sometimes. I have tons for which to be grateful, but my life has to be different now and it hits me upside the head now and again; for example, LE interferes with my activities a lot even though I try not to let it and now that I am nearing the end of recon I am realizing afresh that these new boobs will not be replicas of my old ones. They are good and I am SO glad to have them but.....Usually I am in a good place of acceptance and gratitude. I accept, also, that emotions come and go. I have never been a cryer so it takes me by surprise, that's all. It wasn't an option, growing up with three brothers...they are very supportive now, though.

We had the windiest day here since 2006. They closed one of the floating bridges over Lake Washington for a few hours today which rarely happens. Our local ferry still ran, though.Trees down, power out. Not here. Our wires are underground and our trees in the forest behind us did their swaying ballet but held steady. The wind did an awesome job of raking the leaves and needles out of the trees. Now who is going to rake them up??? I still have several deciduous ones holding onto their jewels. I laugh when I think how I blew the debris off the deck just yesterday. What a beautiful mess. They're predicting a foot of snow in the mts. tonight; and so it begins. It's not very cold here in the lowlands. Nihahi, Queen Anne is a beautiful and very desirable area! Cherrie, I haven't spent enough time in Ballard but anytime you are near the water, like some of Ballard is, it's a good thing!

Wonder where Sbel and our Aubrey-lobster are??? Did I miss it??

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2013

Jeannie....I agree about the Queen Anne area...beautiful, beautiful area. My sis lived in a beautiful side by side craftsman style duplex, but had to move a few years ago into a condo, still in the same area though. The condo isn't as "nice", but she lives alone and travels extensively for her work, so it is a good thing to be in a more "secure" place. Not long after she moved from the 3 level duplex, she tripped leaving a Starbucks....dislocated her knee and shattered her ankle. She was in a wheelchair, then walking cast for weeks....good thing she had moved!!!! Her condo has a view of the water, but lots of power lines too. She now lives within walking distance of Kerry Park....have you been there...OMG....what a view, especially when Mt. Ranier is visible. I'm not sure where Ballard is, in comparison to Queen Anne.

bailey....sounds like a fun end to a wonderful day...but seriously.....Christmas shopping....haven't given it a thought yet...and we're covered in snow, so you think I'd be "in the mood"!

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited November 2013

Bailey, it's the only way to shop. I think the only thing I actually go to the store for these days is groceries. I still enjoy a girls day out shopping once in a while, but the necessities of life are all at my finger tips. And, never pay shipping!!!!!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited November 2013

I have an Amazon prime account and rarely pay shipping. I actually hate shopping lol....even online....but it's better than running around the country. I am usually not thinking of it yet either, but I have to be done early this year because of my stage II. I don't want to be stressing out over shopping and wrapping right up until they wheel me in the OR! Trying really hard to get done asap!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

Temp of -2, feels like -9, wind blowing the snow sideways......oh, yeah, winter is defo here.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2013

Online shopping? Love it! Nothing tires me more quickly than wandering around a shopping mall. I always make sure there is a coffee shop/food court where I can 'rest' in between. Maybe twice a year I get a day when I will be in the mood to comb through stores, but for the most I avoid it like the plague. Now if only I could buy groceries online . . . it is surely possible in some areas, but unfortunately not in mine, not yet. Christmas shopping - arrrggghhh! Bailey, you are inspiring me to get a start on it.

Sbel, where are the little lobster photos? Friends of ours had a baby girl this week - 8 and a half pounds. So looking forward to my own little one now.

• goldie4040
    edited November 2013

Amazon is my favorite place. Once I find something I want I always go to Amazon next to see how much cheaper I can get it. Especially with shoes. First I look at Zappos, and then I go to Amazon. Have you tried 6pm.com yet? Also an awesome place to shop.

• bailey6760
    edited November 2013

Sbel.....you all right, man? Well, woman, but you know what I mean! Lobster baby, please!!!

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited November 2013

Hello beautiful ladies, I have been lurking but not posting.  The cymbalta has made me want to sleep all the time and I thi k I havesome depression popping up, took care of my pain problems though so yay?  lol

I also started a workout program for cancer patients which I really enjoy, still waiting to hear about stage two.  Hope everyone is doing well, I plan to call my doc tomorrow about the funk Im in.  HUGS!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

sweet!!!! How "sweet" to hear from you. Glad to hear the pain has been managed better for you.....keep moving, stay positive....call the doc. You're on the right track now!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited November 2013

Jeannie - I hope you're feeling better today. Feeling gratefulness and acceptance is a really good thing - but some days it's hard to feel those things when your flesh is in the wrong place, your arms are swollen, and you've been in battle mode for the last two years. I think we all go through all the five stages of loss and grief - but it seems that grieving has no time limit and is a very personal process. Being teary is a good release. You seem like a naturally upbeat person, but holy cow - you've been through so much.

I also think that you can be grateful/accepting and p*ssed off all at the same time. At least I can . Sometimes I get tired of feeling 'grateful to have my health'. Of course I'm happy to be back on track - healthwise. But I miss how easy my life once was - and I want my friggin' nipples back! Doesn't help that we just turned back the clocks, so now it gets dark just after lunch. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but the days are pretty damn short. (Nipples and light. Is that too much to ask for?)

And wine, chocolate and music of course. I hope your day is a good one.

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/07/opinion/la-oe-0407-silk-ring-theory-20130407

I'm not sure if I have copied this correctly to act as a link, or if you need to just "go to" this web address.

I found this on another thread....I think it is an amazing article!!!!!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Holy bananas Nihahi! I am complaining because Michigan is in the 40's. I will be going to Florida for 6 weeks this winter to get away from cold and snow. I just don't enjoy it like I used to.

I am still flying high from our Spartan Victory. We have prevailed 6 times in the last 7 years. Who knows Bailey........maybe a chance at the ROSE BOWL. That would be a great place to show off those shows. I'm with you on Internet shopping. Soooo much easier.

Nice to hear your "voice" Sweet. Glad you are handling that pain.

I believe Ballard is North and West of QueenAnne. It is where the Locks are. Getting excited about visiting. I know it is the rainy season, but I need to see where my son lives and I miss him. Why do our children go so far? Coast to coast for me. I am still have a hard time emotionally with this. I grieve every time I leave them.

• bailey6760
    edited November 2013

(Musical notes) all I want for Christmas are my nipples and some light (musical notes)

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Thanks, Janet. It feels so good to have my feelings validated here! There really is no other place like it. Your words help a lot, especially since I found out last night that my LE is worse after stage II. With 24 hour compression for two weeks it was impossible to do all the massage plus the surgery itself may have contributed. Instead of my Lymphediva sleeves I have donned my super-duper custom compression for awhile, hoping to avoid more appts. with my LE therapist. Sigh.

Nihahi, Kerry Park is the best! Cherrie, it is where everyone goes to take beautiful photos of Seattle.

Sweetpickle, I'm so glad you checked in. I'm glad you aren't hurting so much and hope your doc can help your mood. This can be such a struggle!

Nihahi, it seems like every time you check in it is snowing! How many feet do you have by now? We have friends--he's US, she's Canadian--who just left Edmonton after several years for North Carolina. They have little girls and the weather really took its toll. Not only cold but always windy. He is working for a Canadian bank, I think, in NC.

I am my older, brain-injured brother's guardian. He just turned 65 and I'm trying to get him signed up for Medicare. Wow is all I can say.....

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

yucko.....I'd move from Edmonton too! For many reasons, but once they get snow..it stays for the whole winter.

jeannie.....you'd think we'd be buried already, but only about 4 inches on the ground here. Our snow is "powder snow"....very dry and fluffy usually. It blows easily in the wind (bad) but doesn't turn into heavy mounds of snow either (good)! We also get lots of temperature changes, so the snow comes and goes all winter. In the mountains, they tend to get more, and it stays colder, so they keep accumulating snow all winter. Where I go to ski/snowshoe, now has between 8 to 12 inches on the ground, depending on the location.

I HAVE to get busy....later ladies.

• liefie
    edited November 2013

Sweetpickle, so glad you checked in, and doing okay. I was getting a bit worried. Also glad you have the pain controlled now - that is important.

Jeannie, what a tough thing you have with that LE! I hope the compression works to get it back under control. You are totally entitled to your feelings - most of the time you are so pleasant, positive and upbeat, but now and then the load just gets too heavy. So understandable!

Edmonton . . . 2 of my 3 kids are living there, and that winter is brutal. They do have lots of sunshine in winter though, but the sun does zero to lift the freezing temperatures. Will go visit, but will always be grateful for home where it is way warmer.

Cherrie, I hear you about kids living so far away. Mine are all so far away now, and I do miss them a lot.

Had a routine mammo of the healthy breast this morning. Was told afterwards by the radiologist himself that everything looks good. Phew - such a relief, because it is always a reminder of that time in Dec. 2011 when it turned out so disastrous . . .

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Oh, Liefie, I am celebrating with you about your mammogram! I think I'll have a glass of wine and some chocolate in your honor....

• liefie
    edited November 2013

Cheers, Jeannie!

• bailey6760
    edited November 2013

Oh, good, Liefie, so happy to hear that. I am having bread and olive oil and GARLIC to celebrate!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited November 2013

Hello, gloobsters--I hope everyone had a lovely weekend!

These are really terrible photos of Aubrey the Halloween Lobster, but most of mine turned out blurry and dark. It was so cute to follow them around trick-or-treating. Aubrey was so wide-eyed and alert, and startled everyone who peered into the "pot" to see what was for dinner.

Liefie, I met with a dietitian today, and I'll have to celebrate your mammo with a piece of salmon and some sparkling water. It's now my goal to keep my carbs under 150 gm a day, with no more than 30 gm at one time, to keep the insulin levels from spiking. I'm not diabetic or anywhere near it, but she pointed out that it would be easier to keep my weight under control if I was careful with the carbs/insulin thing, and controlling ALL of it is better for preventing recurrence as well as staying healthy overall.

So no gingerbread cookies for me! And the Halloween candy? She said THROW IT ALL AWAY.

Nihahi...Bailey...this is for you guys, just because.

Love ya, sisters!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

liefie....I've already mentioned this on another thread, but, your news warrants another WOOHOO.....CELEBRATION TIME...COME ON! Congrats, friend, on a great mammo....now....thoughts on the trip to S.A. and that smoking hot dress you are going to wear!!!!!

sbe....(((((X))))....beyond wonderful to hear from you. Condolences on the football game.....fyi...there are NO bad photos of Aubrey!!!! Gosh, it sure looks like she's got some beautiful blue eyes!!! Your son looks like he was having a wonderful time too! As determined as you are to do everything you can to stay "well"....I'm sure you will rise to the 130 gm challenge. Do you think it means big changes for you, or more of a dietary "tweaking"????

jeannie....hoping for "sunnier skies" for you soon. You are much loved, and hugely admired for your spunk....doesn't mean you can't have some "human" down days too.

• bailey6760
    edited November 2013

Winking(((Katy)))  she is adorable.....son looks happy....whose big smile do we see in the corner of the first pic? Looks like proud Grandpa, maybe?

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

Jeannie- thinking of you sister!!! I have never dealt with LE so I have no words of wisdom. I am so sorry you are dealing with this.

Liefie--CELEBRATION

Katy- great to hear your voice again

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited November 2013

Yeah, Bailey, it's a proud grandpa, but the OTHER one! Quit hogging the baby already! LOL...

• liefie
    edited November 2013

Oh my goodness girls, you are all so kind re: the mammo - thank you so very much! It is always such a relief these days when things turn out normal.

Sbel, Aubrey is too adorable in that big pot, and so alert! As far as the carbs, I started cutting out all white carbs and sugar sometime in August, and have lost 12 lbs so far. It is the only thing that works for me on Tamoxifen. I will keep at it until my BMI is in the lower normal range. Fat cells produce estrogen . . . and we all know how that ended.

Nihahi, that 'smoking hot dress' still needs to be shortened - only 3 weeks to go. Better get started!

Now with the time change it was dark by the time DH got home from work today. We always went for a walk then, but defo won't be walking in the dark. That treadclimber will now be coming in handy, I think.

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

liefie....no need to shorten the dress, just borrow a pair of sbe's killer heels!!!!

• liefie
    edited November 2013

Nihahi, I will probably break my neck before I get to the church . . . LOL!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

hmmm....ok, better break out the needle and thread instead!

• goldie4040
    edited November 2013

SBE, What a great idea for a Halloween costume. Love it. I think she looks like you, anybody else see it?

Liefie, so happy about the clean mammo. What a relief!!!! I am thinking about trading out my stepper for a tread climber. Do you like yours?