Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited November 2013

Sweet, so sorry to hear about your doggy. They are such a big part of our lives.

However, little Liza Jane has decided that 3:30 AM is a good time to bite whatever is itching and 5:30 is time for breakfast. She's not on my good side today.

Sbe, Aubrey is just a doll. Grand kids are great. The costumes were not too fancy, but the kids were thrilled with them.

Jeannie, my heart breaks for your friend. Some doctors sure need to improve their people skills! I know that your circumstances have to be very unsettling. I can only tell you that God has ways of working things out, based on my past experience. It is so much easier to see in the rear view mirror when those things are behind us. Hang tough!

Love and prayers for you all. ...Julie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2013

I have 4 turkeys done - all for seniors in need of a thanksgiving meal. Tomorrow I will prepare ours. I used the carcasses to make rich turkey broth for minerals. The livers became chopped liver pate (good source of protein for healing). My beef bone broth is tucked into the freezer so that we can enjoy a cup a day, often with caramelized onions for a yummy French onion soup. Tomorrow afternoon I will be thankful to stop cooking. And perhaps, I won't want to see another turkey for 12 months (probably).

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I hope you enjoy a wonderful, fulfilled, happy, humorous, loving day with those you care about and who care about you.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2013

I expect most of you gals in the US will be enjoying family, friends, and turkey with the trimmings tomorrow, as you should be!!! So just want to send "Happy Thanksgiving" wishes to you all.

May the weather allow everyone to travel safely and arrive at their destinations and then safely back home, may the turkeys be moist inside and golden on the outside, may there be enough stuffing for all (plus the leftover sandwiches that everyone craves), a bounty of veggies, both healthy and yummy, lump-free gravy and mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie that doesn't land wrong side down on the kitchen floor, whipped cream canisters that don't spray the entire table when little ones ask to do it themselves, lots of eager hands to help with the cleanup and dishes, amazing football games where everyone's favourite team wins, and above all.....many, many, many more years for each of us to "thankful" for so many things.

I will be with you in spirit (and my turkey sausage/stuffing casserole) and saying my thank you's for the privilege of "meeting" you all. {{X}}

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited November 2013

Wow, Marty, that's awesome.

Thanks, Julie. I am trusting and hoping but will be seeing a therapist on Tuesday to help me sort through my feelings! I've never seen one before...

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited November 2013

Happy Thanksgiving Eve, everyone! The kids came over tonight to watch TV and eat sandwiches, and my DS brought a huge cooler with a 26-pound turkey in it so we could "brine" the thing. We poured all the ice in the freezer over it and then filled the cooler with salty, seasoned water. The whole effect was like that of a corpse bobbing around in a murky lake. I'm hoping the mental image doesn't last.

Jeannie, I saw a therapist every week for a few months, a couple of years ago (before BC, in fact) and I found it to be a very healing experience. I pray it will be the same for you.

Marty, you are amazing. But if I could find any rich turkeys I wouldn't be making broth out of them. Sorry, lame joke! I wish I could transplant you to my kitchen!

Sweet, bless you as you grieve the loss of your friend. I'm so sorry.

Have a wonderful day, dear friends.

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

Going off the grid ladies....I'll be hanging out in the mountains until Sunday night. Stay well, I'll be thinking of you.

• sbelizabeth
    edited November 2013

Have fun and be safe, Nihahi! Turn off all electronic devices until you see the landing lights at home Sunday night!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

I am so full, I am embarrassed to say I took my compression off after dinner. First time in 10 weeks! It feels great. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Haha, Cherrie! It's amazing you kept it on for that long. I'm sure Thanksgiving removal is okay! Looking forward to our visit.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2013

4 days Jeannie and I am too!! Looks like the weather is changing.

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Cherrie, I'm glad the weather was so cooperative for you this week. I'll be bundled up on Monday!

• sbelizabeth
    edited November 2013

To quote Scarlett O'Hara..."As God is my witness, I will never be hungry again."

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited November 2013

Sbel....ThumbsUp

• kdoole01
    kdoole01 Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2013

My thoughts exactly!!

LOL!

• kdoole01
    edited December 2013

baily6760: Again, don't waste the energy mentally crossing a bridge until you absolutely must. I know is is nearly impossible to do, but try to stay in the present moment if you can for it is the only thing that is guaranteed. When bad thoughts come into your mind, dismiss them as quickly and as best you can. The waiting game is so tough, but the mental energy spent on it is energy wasted.

• bailey6760
    edited December 2013

Awww, thanks Kdoole. I appreciate that. I am doing well the last several days. It's in God's hands....I am in His hands. I hope you have all had a great weekend. I sure wish I had another four days!!!

• bailey6760
    edited December 2013

Wow....Kdoole.....I was just reading your stats and see you had Avastin, too. I don't think I've ever met anybody else that had it. Did you have healing problems because of it? I still have healing problems and Avastin is sometimes blamed by my med professionals. I don't know....seems like it would not still affect me two years later!

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

Hey friends.....back from my GWA (girls weekend away)....I'll catch up tomorrow...just wanted to say hi, and send hugs to all.

• kdoole01
    edited December 2013

Hi bailey6760...funny that you would bring that up. I have just had the most difficult year in which I received laser treatment to telangiectasias on my previously radiated breast in April. They are basically spider veins and I was "encouraged" to do this clinical trial at MSK (MSK is always pushing you into one trial or another). Subsequently, I developed a non-healing wound in the very spots I was lasered in, and my breast implant ruptured thru the wound. Implant was removed in July, could not heal that wound. Did 6 weeks of hyperbaric tx with no effect. Hospitalized x2 for sepsis from cellulitis in non-healing wound area. In October had flaps done, so the entire right chest was removed. Thank God the wound has just about healed (tiny scabbed area healing by second intent, left purposely as I had an open wound for greater than 6 months). MSK said I was the most complex chest wound for the breast service that they had ever had. No one ever brought up the Avastin though, but I did sustain heart failure from the Avastin tx. I was part of a clinical trial in which earlier stage breast cancer patients were given Avastin concurrently w/the ACT every 2 weeks and every 3 weeks thereafter for 1 year. I developed heart failure 9 months into treatment. Tx was stopped for 2 months and I did complete it in the end. I think my heart failure was secondary to an overload of fluid during the Abraxane (that was my "T" of the ACT) as I put on 13 lbs of fluid in less than 5 days and no one would diurese me and take off some fluid. But in medicine, once the horse is out of the corral you are only guessing how he got out. I do know that Avastin does interfere with wound healing, but I did not have trouble healing my chest wound after expanders were replaced in spring 2007 (that was before the RT, so I think that is more to blame here). There are so few of us that have had the Avastin, so there are not enough numbers to know if that is to blame for our horse getting out of the corral! And the docs at the academic medical centers will never commit!!

PS- I never needed that laser tx...and look at all the trouble it caused!!

• Jeannie57
    edited December 2013

Oh, Kdoole, you have been through so much! I am glad you have come through it. Your advice about not worrying and taking it one day at a time was hard-earned.

• kdoole01
    edited December 2013

You know what Jeannie57? I think that this year in particular taught me to be in the moment. That and my 23 year old son recommended a book that he had read in his college Ethics class called "A New Earth, Awakening to Your LIfe's Purpose" by E. Tolle. When I was pending clearance for the flaps (only got official clearance <48h before the surgery) he said to me "Mom, if I were you and I had accomplished as much as you have in your 49 years, I could die happy for you have accomplished so much!" I replied to him that it would be different if you were 49 years instead of 23 years, lol! But the book really reminded me that yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us. SillyHeart

• Jeannie57
    edited December 2013

We had a wonderful time with Cherrie and her husband, Tony! Such nice, warm people. I wish I could meet all of you in person!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

So glad you caught up. You look chilly, but happy!

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

Had a very nice lunch with Jeannie and her hubby, Tom. We ate at Ivar's on the water in their beautiful town of Mukilteo. It was so nice to give her a hug for everyone. It did my heart so much good to visit with her.

Katy and Nihahi- I have gotten out and walked most days since visiting Seattle. I get between 7-9 thousand steps most days. I've been eating way to much though.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

cherrie and jeannie.....THANK YOU FOR THE PHOTO!!! So happy you got to connect and spend some time together. It means so much, doesn't it!

cherrie....no judgement from me.....just congrats on the steps!!!!! If I was in Seattle and area.....with family for Thanksgiving....I'd be overeating too!!!

friggin cold and blizzard conditions here today.....I didn't poke my nose out the door....not even an wee bit!

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

Cherrie and Jeannie--what a lovely photo of the two of you! Just look at the friendship there! I've eaten at Ivar's lots of times, and I can never get enough clams.

Cherrie, walking is SO good for us, no matter what we eat or don't eat! You're just plugging away at it, and we're all so proud of you.

Bailey, you're in my prayers every day. Raft service, with love.

If I lived near Seattle, I'd be shopping at the Ex Officio store. I have to settle for ordering their stuff from Sierra Trading Post, which I love, but the store was lots of fun.

Sleep well, girlfriends.

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2013

Jeannie and Cherrie- Wonderful picture, so glad you guys got to spend time together!

Bailey- HUGS!!! keeping you in my prayers

Crazy weather here, suppose to be up to 71 by Friday.  We got our tree up last night and I found three nig inflatables for outside that I thought were lost in my last move.  Yay!!!!!  Keep warm my northern sisters!

• Jeannie57
    edited December 2013

Woohoo! Nipple day is February 7th! I hope we'll be able to afford it. sigh

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

Our parking lot this afternoon.....thankfully.....not my car!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2013

I want to say "Cool!", but better make that "COLD!"