Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited December 2013

movie, I'm sorry it's been a rough day! Add that to a rough night and you are suffering. Keep up with the Oxycodone. I only needed it for a few days and then moved on to Tylenol. My PS even allowed Advil. It just takes time, but not nearly as much as earlier surgeries. How do your nips feel? Are you numb there? Sending you smiles and hugs.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2013

Inner thigh lipo is tough, but it turns the corner quickly. I felt great 4 to 5 days out. It may not be the time to do 18,000 steps. 😉 My pedometer has been off, but have been pretty active on this trip.

My baby quilt is almost done. I sent it away to have it machine quilted. It will be here next week and I will do the border next. If I can figure out Jeannie's instructions, I will post a picture of it.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited December 2013

Movie, I'm into avoiding the simple carbs too. I'm way into healthy food like chicken flautas, beans and rice, tortilla chips with queso dip...oh, dear...isn't it great our bodies forgive us our occasional indulgences? LOL...I would jog around the perimeter of Los Angeles to sit down for dinner with you again!

Take good care and swallow those pain pills when it's time. And have we had a bowel movement today, Wilbur?

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2013

Movie- I hope Wilber pays you a visit and takes away your pain!  I looked through my lose it log and I am eating a ton of carbs like potatos and corn.  Also have high sodium foods and I bet that is adding to my water retention.  I am going to take your advice and start working out every day.  I am also going to shoot for closer to 1200 calories.  Thank you for your condolences, it was my MILs dog but they live with us and Ive known him since he was a puppy so it was like losing one of my own.

Nihahi- Yep, the fruit juices are horrible about sneaking in the sugar.  I eat fresh fruit but not everyday.  

• sweetpickle
    edited December 2013

Do you guys think it might be helpful to do a shake meal replacement for a bit to help get things going?

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

Sweet, in my humble opinion, 1200 calories aren't enough, especially if you're exercising. My nutritionist said 1500 is low enough, and to shoot for no more than 150 grams of carbs daily, in the form of whole grains, veggies, fruit. No refined products like sugar or flour, and no more than 35 grams of carbs in one sitting, to avoid the insulin spikes that go along with a carb load-up.

If you don't take in enough calories, your body goes into calorie-conservation mode and it's tougher than ever to lose weight.

Costco has a great protein shake with high protein and low carbs. It's "Premier Protein," it comes in chocolate and vanilla, and it's whey, not soy protein. I'll occasionally have one for a meal replacement when I'm crazy busy, but not ALL the time. Real food is better--less processing.

The hubs is outside wrapping the tomato plants in blankets so we don't lose all the gorgeous 'maters that are ripening. Fresh tomatoes for Christmas. Weird.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited December 2013

sweet.....I agree with sbe...."replacement" food is ok occasionally, but healthy eating is a lifetime lifestyle choice, imho, and a fake meal is pretty hard to stick with long term. It also takes away the "learning" process of portion size and nutritional content, that will serve you well in the long run. Also, don't try to do it all at once, and tapering down your calories as you are eliminating the less healthy foods will almost be a natural process.

cherrie....glad you had a great visit with your son and his wife. Have a safe trip home.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

Sweet - I agree with everything already said on the weight loss and food, but would add that exercise can be as simple as a 30 minute walk. Moving every day. If you haven't already killed gluten, you might do that. Many of us have a sensitivity to gluten we are not aware of and avoid wheat. I don't process the carbs in legumes well, so I avoid them. There are also options for hypothyroid besides levo. You might look at naturesthroid or armour. Different people respond differently to each - if I take levo I need to add cytomel. I currently take armor, but seem to need a nap daily so may be looking to switch or increase. No anxiety issues, but do take sertraline which helps that issue.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

Temp of -27, windchill of -35C.....at -40, F and C are the same temp...I will no longer discuss the weather until this crap has moved on...sob!

movie....hope it was a better night for you? Listen to people like cherrie and marty and jeannie...this too shall pass. Sending hugs your way until things feel better.

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

Holy cow, Nihahi.  You have my sincere sympathy.  That's just COLD. 

Being originally from Colorado, we resist turning on the heat until Christmas.  It would be like admitting we're weather wimps along with the rest of the Californians.  So we went to bed last night wearing stocking caps (touques?), mittens, and heavy socks, along with our flannel jammies.  Very sexy.

Movie, hope you slept and are feeling better!

Marty, what does cytomel do for you? 

A friend told me he was taking turmeric for his joint pain and he was amazed at how helpful it was.  I bought some yesterday and will report back.  And now, it's off to Walgreens for some zycam and nasal spray.  I'll need to convince tomorrow's pre-op crew that I'm healthy enough for surgery.

• MartyJ
    edited December 2013

Cytomel adds T3 which helped stop my hair from falling out too vigorously.

Turmeric is great. The pain docs love it. Along with high doses of omega 3. Just wait to start til after surgery. Zicam is zinc based and can effect antibiotics. Ginger is great for colds.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

Marty...the tumeric is interesting! Do you know of a recommended dosage/formulation???? I know with herbals, you need to be knowledgeable to make sure you are getting what you "think" you are getting. I wonder if it might help my hubby with his neck/shoulder/back pain???? I'd appreciate any info you have on it.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited December 2013

Sbe....I WISH I could move on......Wilbur not assisting with BM........miserable...may have to resort to dynamite....but magnesium citrate is on the docket today.........yay for me...... :P

• MartyJ
    edited December 2013

Nihahi - I started using New Chapter Turmeric Force which was recommended at Whole Foods. It runs about $34 for 72 tablets through Vitacost. One tab is a serving. I have since switched to Vitacost Turmeric Extract Curcumin C3 Complex® with Bioperine® -- 1160 mg per serving - 120 Capsules. It costs about $27 but you have to take 2 a day. I have been off it pending surgery, but my DH is on it. With 2 of us taking it, finding a cost effective solution is important. BTW, the bioperine is a black pepper extract that is supposed to enhance how the turmeric works.

Some of the exercises our PT is giving us do a lot on the shoulder, neck pain. In one, we lay prone on the bed with our head and neck hanging off. Then we rotate from side to side for 1 - 2 minutes. Amazing how it strengthens the neck muscles.

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

Oh, Movie, how terrible for you.  Not only the compression blues, but the no go's as well.  I hope the mag citrate works magic for you!

I'm chugging a bottle of the stuff today too.  My PS wants the bowel as free from...bowel stuff...as we can get it for tomorrow's abdominal pull.  It's not exactly a colonoscopy prep, but it's going to feel like one.  I thought I'd wait until I get home from work to initiate THAT launch sequence.

I bought turmeric yesterday at Costco.  Now I'm going to have to check out the manufacturer and dosage. 

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

sbe....I'm certainly no expert on herbals, but after reading earlier about the tumeric, and googled it a bit. I looked at sites like Mayoclinic, that are apparently doing trials, and I noticed a caution that it may interfere with antibiotics.....and can affect liver and kidneys. Maybe wait on it until you check it out a bit more? I'm not discounting its value, but just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it isn't without side effects. It does sound like there may be some promise to it though, cancer wise......interesting read.

editted to add:...hmm..that caution isn't on the mayo site..but I know I read it...just can't remember where.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited December 2013

Hey lovelies, just got done with having my "pictures" taken.....I arrived a bit early and am done before my 3:30 appointment time. Love that kind of efficiency :) So now we wait. I am glad today is here, though.....at least the pictures are in somebody's hands and we will see what we will see. 

Prayers for those just out and those just headed in.

Love ya, 

B

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

Good job of "just showing up" bailey.....you've done your part, now, deep breaths, positive thoughts. So glad the "waiting for" part is partway done. {{{{{{{{{X}}}}}}}}

• bailey6760
    edited December 2013

Lol....Nihahi I was early because I was skating around the edge of a meltdown at work and decided I had better just leave 15 minutes early rather than take my cancerfrustration out on a poor unsuspecting soul! 

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

hubby and I finished decorating our tree tonight. I'm posting a photo, to help give those ladies who may be struggling tonight with pain or worries.....something else to think about for a minute. Love to all.

• Jeannie57
    edited December 2013

Thanks, Nihahi!

I found out my insurance will cover one more set of compression sleeves this year. I chose a set of "bad ass" tattoo design. Not pretty.

Hoping they make me feel fierce.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

jeannie....the designs look very Northwest First Nation! How fitting for you!

• Moviemaniac
    edited December 2013

Nihahi, thank you....lovely tree, I wonder if I will get one this year???? Not feeling like it tonight, for sure!

Jeannie.......yes! All kinds of YES. YES. YES!

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited December 2013

like it Jeannie!

I wasn't going to do tree either, so my DH did it while I was gone to surprise me. It is nice

• sweetpickle
    edited December 2013

Nihahi- Pretty tree!

Jeannie- That is a funky sleeve I say go with it girl!

Movie- Hope you are doing better today and were able to clean out some.  I hate the whole constipation bit with surgery.

Bailey- Hugs, I am like you and would rather show up early and just get it over.

We got our tree up too and my whole house looks like christmas threw up everywhere, its awesome!  I slept most of today because I had insomnia last night and was up until 5am.  Tonight Im up at 2 am, oh joy.  On a positive note, I had a manic episode and cleaned my whole house tonight....lol.   I think the steroid injection did me in, I took two benedryl and still wide awake.  Getting ready to make some sleepytime tea.  Hope everyone is well :)

• sweetpickle
    edited December 2013

Testing if this picture posts, here is hubby and kidds at Halloween.
  • Jeannie57
    edited December 2013

Bailey, thinking of you. Hopefully you are getting some rest...

Sweet, sorry you're up!

• Moviemaniac
    edited December 2013

Sweet, I'll join you in insomnia-land.........everytime I move in my sleep, I wake up because everything hurts! I sure won't be cleaning house......want the job? :) Kids are cute! DH is scary...... :)

Bailey...hope you are doing okay.......am thinking of you!

Sbe.....soon will be in Wilbur's arms......

Okay....feeling sleepy-again...... :)

XO

• sweetpickle
    edited December 2013

Movie- I crashed just after 3 am and was back up at 6:30am........dragging hardcore this morning!  I would love to come clean for you, its my thing to do when anxious.  I hope you turn the corner soon with the pain, I remember being like that after stage one and it soooooo sucks!  I prefer my insomnia pain free....lol.  DH was a freak on halloween, I made him take off the mask because it creeped me out.

Jeannie- Thanks :)

• bailey6760
    edited December 2013

Waiting, waiting, wa-ate-ing....wait, wait, waiting, wa-ate-ing....Waiting waiting, wa-ate-ing, wait,wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT! (It's my new waiting song...to the tune of the Jeopardy theme song....what do y'all think?)