Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited December 2013

Brrrrrrrr.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2013

Wow Nihahi! I would never come out of my den.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited December 2013

Thanks for the hugs, prayers and good vibes, friends!!!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited December 2013

That and more headed your way Bailey!

Jeannie and Cherrie, great photo! Looks like you had a blast!

Just coming around after a week of lying still and sleeping. Skin is finally starting to grow back after rads stopped and finally got pain under control. Doc wants to get last three done, but not so sure I want to continue. I cancelled my surgery scheduled for the 10th. I just can't go through any more right now. But looking forward to the new year and making plans to celebrate a year of treatment being done! and kicking cancer's ass!

Next year will be awesome!

• Jeannie57
    edited December 2013

Oh, Bluebird, I sure hope so! You made it through a very difficult week and year. That's something. I wish you didn't have to think about rads anymore. :(( It's wise not to have surgery now to give your body a chance to recover. It is amazing what we can bear.Cheers to the new year!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2013

(((bailey))), (((jeannie))), (((bluebird))), ThumbsUpcherrie

nihahi:

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited December 2013

Nihahi, I'm there with you, girl.  The dogs don't want to step on the grass to pee because it's chilly.  I actually had to put on a bathrobe this morning, and yesterday, the neighborhood kids were shivering a little on their way to the pool.  Hang in there.  We'll suffer through this together. 

Bailey and Jeannie, you're in our prayers every night.

Happy Hump Day, everyone! 

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited December 2013

Hey Tammy....IT'S WORKING, THANKS!!!! The sun is shining this morning! With a windchill of -20F, it's still not beach weather, but everyday with sunshine is a good one. That snow bank is the result of about 8" of powder snow, packed into rockhard drifts by the wind. When I tell you guys it gets windy here, I mean IT GETS WINDY HERE Shocked!

(shhhh.....don't tell him, but THANKFULLY, hubby decided he could make it into work today...lordy, his retirement is going to take some adjusting to Loopy!).

SBE.....SNORT! We'll see who's laughing when I run you up a mountain trail, sans bike, in my neck of the woods!!!!!!! Nerdy

Time for a second cup of coffee...in total peace....then, on with MY day.

hugs to all......have wonderful days.

• Morningsun1
    edited December 2013

Happy Hump day to you too sbe, good luck on Friday. Back to work.

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

Nihahi, when you run this sea-level girl up a mountain trail in your neck of the woods, you're going to have to bring oxygen.  Lots of it.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

My plan is to let Movie's hubby carry the tanks.....it might slow him down enough to stay with us Nerdy

• Jeannie57
    edited December 2013

Nihahi, it's 27F here this morning with a high of 32, I think. Cold for us! Bright blue sky. I hope Cherrie is staying warm!!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

72 and sunny down here. Doing my best to cope with winterLoopy.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

marty.....if there was an "emotion" for giving a "raspberry"......guess what I would be selecting right now!!!!!

It's ok, really, it is, I don't mind putting on boots, mitts and a touque to take the garbage out......Sad......sob...

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

A touque?  What the hell is a touque?

Edited to add:

I looked it up.  Here's what Google says:

In Canada, the knit cap is also known as a tuque (pronounced tuke; also spelled touque or toque), a word closely related to the French word toque, originally referring to a traditional headwear and now used for type of chef's hat (short for toque blanche, meaning "white hat").

• Jeannie57
    edited December 2013

Nihahi, is this your toque?

• Morningsun1
    edited December 2013

"Crazy Canuck", a perfect fit...

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

HappyHappyHappyHappyThumbsUpThumbsUp

R.O.F.L........Love it!!!!! jeannie....you've made my day

ahem....who you calling crazy?!

I have done my morning yoga and workout in the gym....good lord, if this weather continues, I may actually have to do the dishes!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited December 2013

You are all crazy...cyber loons....

I wonder what out dear Liefie is doing today????

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

slapping on sunscreen no doubt! Sipping some South African wine and not giving one wee bit of thought about bc, chemo, rads, recon or nipples! That's my hope for her!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2013

It is cold, but it didn't stop us from visiting Alpental in the Snoqualmie Pass. We had a beautiful drive there. My son has a ski pass there. It looks mighty steep.

Home now to watch the RED WINGS and pack. Leaving in the morning. 😪😪😪

Katy- Do you live near Pasedena? The Spartans may be coming for the Rose Bowl. Lodging is &350-$500 a night. GHEEZ!!' We may be priced out of that since we are two retired teachers. Do you have a friend of a friend of a friend ........who rents their house to people coming to the Rose Bowl???? LOL

Jeannie- Love the hat!! How do you put pics up??

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

Here's a fun game we can all play! I'm going to call it "YOU KNOW YOU'RE BORED, WHEN......"

I'll go first......

YOU KNOW YOU'RE BORED, WHEN YOU'RE REALLY HAPPY THAT YOUR DUCT TAPE REPAIR OF THE FOOT ON THE IRONING BOARD, ACTUALLY WORKS, SO YOU CAN KEEP IRONING.....

ok, who's next.......Nerdy

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2013

Im with you Marty although its been gray here a lot lately.  I am in serious need of an intervention ladies, I now weigh 192lbs and I walked out of the hospital in June at 177, precancer, I was 164.  What the hell am I doing to myself?  I eat between 1500 and 1900 calories a day and I worked out three times a week for an hour.  Im so depressed, I was always the skinny girl growing up.

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

Cherrie, I just PM'd you.

• Jeannie57
    edited December 2013

Cherrie, I make sure the pic I want to post is in my iPhone camera roll. Then I go here. I click on what looks like a pic of landscape on the right, above here. I click on Choose File, go to my camera roll and click on the photo I want. Easy peasy. I am not generally tech savvy, so I'm surprised I figured this out...hope it works for you.

Sweet, I don't know why this is happening to you, darn it. I wish I could help.

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

Sweet, a couple of thoughts. Have you had your thyroid checked? Chemo and rads can really kill it, and a low thyroid makes it impossible to lose weight. Also, are you tracking every bite? I journal my meals on LiveStrong.com and it's a real eye-opener.

And...do NOT go into the self-loathing mode because you've gained a few pounds. I'm certain the people in your life who love you are glad you're alive and think you're beautiful just as you are. You opened a huge can of whup-ass on cancer, girl. That took strength, determination, and grit. Yay, Sweetpickle!

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2013

Big hugs Sbe, thank you and you are right. DH and the kids are just glad to have me here.  I did check my thyroid and it was low. I tested .6 and normal is .66-1.5 I think, so I was borderline low.  My doc put me on levothyroxine and it made my anxiety shoot through the roof so I asked him if I could stop and he said yes so I have been off it for two days now. 

I need to just go get some pretty nails done, that will make me feel better.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited December 2013

Thought I better check in....been a rough day over here in Oregon......Jeannie, how'd you deal with the lipo pain? I am really hurting....hope it gets better real soon..... :(

Sweet, I don't think I ever acknowledged you losing your dog.....I am so sorry....I have two myself, and it is really hard to say goodby to a member of the family ......just want you to know I am sorry.......

As far as your weight gain......listen to Sbe....she has wise words.......I would just add that when I am intent on losing weight, my caloric intake hovers around 1200 calories/day, with one day a week that I allow myself more. That being said, you are dealing with more than the average person (one w/o cancer) and you have to take all that into account .....also look at the type of calories you are consuming .....ie: lean proteins, vegetables.....not much in the way of simple carbs, and low intake of complex carbs......that works for me. Also, you might consider upping exercise to 5-6 days a week to jump-start your metabolism.....I consistently work out 5 days a week, and aim for 6, when I want to drop weight. You are a youngster.....I bet if you could get your metabolism jump-started, the weight would come off easily.....not like a 59 year old woman! The key is to never give up......maybe get yourself a pedometer, and start tracking your steps....the goal would be 10,000 steps a day (I usually do 15,000-18,000, but I have been doing this for a long time, and I SHOULD be doing that many steps/day). Keep at it....you will find what works for you..........

Okay...NOW I am sleepy, again. I have a love/hate relationship with oxycodone......going to need another real soon ......

Love you ladies!

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

sweet...I second what the others have said.

#1...The IMPORTANT thing is that you are here with your family and us.

#2...Tracking your food intake is very very informative, when you are trying to figure out why you are struggling to lose weight. There are lots of different sites that let you enter what you've eaten, and they break it down into different components for you. I agree....it's not necessarily how many calories (though your total seems high for weight loss) but the "value" of those calories. Sugar is a proven weight gain food, but lots of people don't realize how sneaky sugar is. If you eat a whole lot of fruit, you are actually eating a lot of sugar, natural, yes, but still recognized by your body as sugar. Fruit juice as opposed to fresh fruit....even higher in sugar. Refined carbs like pasta and white bread.....again....sugar to your body. Corn, a great veggie right....sugar!

#3...Better to do something (30 minutes minimum) everyday, than day on , day off. For me, daily exercise keeps my attention focussed on also eating right. Regular exercise has been more and more proven to be the most important thing anyone can do to minimize the risk of recurrence...as well as many other health issues.

#4...Maybe talk to your doc for some extra help/guidance??? It seems like you have a good relationship with him, why not use him.

#5...DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP....YOU'VE BEEN THROUGH HE** AND BACK!!!!!

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

movie....so sorry to hear how much you're hurting. Try to rest as much as possible...let yourself have some easy days for a change!!!!