Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2013

You are right nihahi, she is ready to become a flapper. Her caption: Life Is Worth Fighting for.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited December 2013

Jeannie, you are in my thoughts and prayers!

• Morningsun1
    edited December 2013

Just curious, nihahi, how much snow are you getting now?

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited December 2013

Nihahi, you so crack me up. Thank you for all the friendship, support, encouragement, information, and love that you've shared. I so hope we get to meet someday soon, along with the rest of our dear flappers!

Tammy, I thought the figurine had ALREADY had her flap, what with the tight tummy and the patched-together glove. I look great and I'm happy with my results, but it's true, I look pretty frankenboobish and patched-together myself!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited December 2013

Jeannie I haven't read enough to catch up but the gist tells me you got another plot twist. Prayers in general......Will be more specific as soon as I read more k? Love you.

I have a lifelong girlfriend who was dx the year after me. So she is 1.5 years from initial dx. They saw some spots on her last scan that were very concerning. She called me last night and she has mets to her lung and a vertebrae. The spine mets is causing her a lot of pain. My heart is broken.  I was so hopeful we would both come through our scans last week with good news. It is hard to be joyful about your own good news when those you care for so deeply (like her and all of you) are hurting. Sigh. Hugs all around. Happy and sad at the same time. 

We will get by, by and by.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited December 2013

Oh, Bailey...no words that can express how sad I am for you, and for your dear friend. I'm so sorry.

• Morningsun1
    edited December 2013

Oh, bailey........

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited December 2013

bailey.....such hard news to hear and to share. Certainly news none of us ever want to hear. How hard indeed, to be so happy and relieved for yourself, while your heart is breaking for your friend. But, you HAVE the right to be happy for yourself, so don't discount the need to be so. Certainly, the "significant spin" for your friend, is that she has YOU as her friend. Sending prayers that they are able to minimize her pain quickly and get her mets stabilized. And.....hugs for you.....that this does not become a bigger burden than you can bear, yourself.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited December 2013

Nihahi...re: Movie's squeezes......OMG, NO!!!!! I am in the vise from HADES........Loopy

Bailey. So very sorry to hear about your dear friend.......there is no rhyme or reason, is there? Sending you love, and pass some on to her.......

Jeannie.......think about you a lot, every day.......just know I am here, and you have my #.

So thankful every day for you women.......and the strength I take from you......so wonderful to win lottery so we could all meet together........

Love you all.....

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2013

Bailey- So sorry to hear that about your friend, this stupid cancer stuff can be so random!  Hugs to you and prayers for your friend.

Movie & SBE- How is the pain ladies?  Im starting to ge nervous about my stage two, not looking forward to recoverying again!

Goldie- How are you doing?

I am seeing a PT on Thursday for my frozen shoulder. The steroid shot he gave me helped a lot and I have been icing it also. I never realized how much recoverying from cancer would take from me, I was just worried about making it through treatment.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2013

Bailey- I am at a loss of words. It takes so much energy just to recover ourselves. Your friend is fortunate to have you by her side. I am so sorry.

Sweet- There are so many of us with shoulder issues. I had not heard that from posts before my DIEP. We will just have to share what works. Mine is not frozen, but must keep it moving. A lot of pain.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited December 2013

Bailey, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Love and prayers for you both.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited December 2013

thanks, everybody.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2013

Bailey, I am joyful for your good news and sorry for the news about your friend. Prayers for both of you. (((Hugs)))

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

Jeannie- Thinking of you. Something good has to come out of this, but it stinks in the meantime. Just know you have a lot of support and prayers coming your way.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited December 2013

Nihahi - Thanks for the wake-up call about 'babying the abs'. I realized that I've been doing the same thing. At six months I've been acting as though I'm still in recovery, and I've clung to MartyJ's wisdom of 'Being gentle with yourself'. She was absolutely correct about that, and I credit gentleness with my good healing from the inside out. But - I was at yoga last week and I still go from sitting to lying down by rolling to my side. No ab muscles - and I'm acting like a big slug. So I've started back at gentle Pilates so I can strengthen my core again. My tummy is flat (Thanks DIEP) and it's funny that I look so fit when I'm actually the least fit I've ever been. For the first time - I look fabulous in m workout pants, but I can barely do a thing. Time to stop being a baby.

By the way, what exactly is a frozen shoulder? My LE shoulder has started to ache. I noticed it when I tried to reach behind me while I was in the car. Ouch. Have noticed a dull stabbing ache ever since.

Bailey - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend

Jeannie - You and your hubsy are in my thoughts in the most positive way.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

Too funny - do be gentle with yourself after the Stage 1 - give yourself at least 3 - 4 months to heal inside and out. Then happy abs, but know they will resist you. Go slowly and build by using all of the core muscles (i.e. crunches generally do not work the entire core). But do take into consideration that after your revisions, you may need to baby yourself for a while. For me, I have not worked out for at least 8 weeks after to allow for healing inside and out. Of course, since each revision is 16 weeks apart, I have the oddest workout schedule. 8 weeks on, 8 weeks off. Getting a bit old now.

• Morningsun1
    edited December 2013

Ok, I will agree with you sbe, my avatar IS a flapper with her tight tummy and her loose fitting pre-flap shorts. Now she needs to exercise her muscles, get new bras and new work out shorts…

I've been active since my ab-incision was completely closed (about 3 month post op), but my lower ab muscles were still "asleep" 4 weeks ago. They have caused me knee pain/back pains and a groin muscle pull. I went to a sports PT session on November 11. The therapist did deep tissue massage on and around my tummy incision and belly button and she did electrical muscle stimulation and she also has me doing muscle strengthening exercises. After 4 weeks, my tummy does not feel like it’s stuck to the muscle anymore and my lower ab muscles are much stronger. It does not take much to get hurt when some of your muscles are asleep and the others trying to pick up the slack. My groin muscle pull and knee pain happened when I was slow jogging. A good sports physical therapist can make a huge difference in our journey to get back in shape.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

tammy......ThumbsUp. 100% correct, imho!!!!

• Morningsun1
    edited December 2013

Thanks, nihahi. Want to show us a picture of how much snow you have now?

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

I'll have to scoot out and get a photo, I guess. It is a big variable, because of our winds. In some places it's almost bare ground, in others, it's 3 foot drifts. It's chinooking this morning....the snow will be dissolving in front of my eyes!!! woohoo!!!!!!!!

• Morningsun1
    edited December 2013

I was thinking after you sending it all the way down to Texas, you will hardly have any snow left around you...

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

5 days of shoulder exercising, icing, and two days now alternating Tylenol and Advil ( thanks Nihahi) I am doing better. Today is the best I have been in 6 weeks. It is my focus it get rid of pain and inflammation, then on to more strengthening exercises. Thanks for everyone's input.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

Sounds great, cherrie!!!! Your plan sounds spot on......take it slow, but gosh, it's so good to hear you are feeling better!!!!!!

It is chinooking here today (temp is now up to 0!!!!!) I snapped a few pics of the chinook arch on my phone to show you guys....not the greatest pics, but gives you an idea of how it stretches from one end of the horizon to the other. Always a welcome site around here in the winter!

The parts of the roads that have snow on them, now feels like you are driving through a mound of sugar.....grainy, thick piles of it. In fact, when the dirt and gravel they spread on the roads gets mixed into it.....we call it "brown sugar snow".

• Zenful
    edited December 2013

Tammy, that is so interesting about the muscles being asleep. I am 12 weeks out from surgery, but when I do crunches, my abs feel really weird and different. I have this weird pulling and tenderness right across the waistline kinda in line with my navel. Haven't been able to figure out why I would have such ab tenderness if they didn't do anything to the muscles. I have begun doing more planks and core type exercises hoping to engage them properly.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

Even if you had a Diep....your ab muscles were definitely part of your surgery. They separate the tummy skin and fat at the fascia level on the surface of the muscle. Then, they "tease out" the vein and artery from between the muscle fibers by pulling the fibres apart. Then, they loosen the skin and fat above and below the tummy donor site, so they can pull it over the "gap", so that tissue has to "reconnect" to the fascia on the surface of the muscle. The only difference between a Diep and a Tram-free, is that the Diep separates muscle fibres, the Tram cuts out a bit of muscle with the blood vessels.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited December 2013

hey guys, just read an interesting factoid........did you know that banging your head against a wall repeatedly for an hour can burn 150 calories???? (I will not divulge how I know this......)Loopy

• Zenful
    edited December 2013

Once again, Nihahi, a beautiful, articulate explanation. Dang, there is such good information from this group. Thanks!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited December 2013

Movie, I'm definitely going to try that......

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

we're all in this together, zenful! What helps one, helps many in my opinion.

movie....seriously!!!!! Cabin fever already!!!!!! How many hours left before "squeezie" becomes part of the "yule log" fire Nerdy