Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2013

Nihahi- What is chinooking? I have never heard that term.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited December 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

cherrie.....this link explains a Chinook pretty well. It has info and pictures and diagrams. It really is quite a dramatic weather event, that is a lifesaver after weather like we've had here recently....I think it keeps people sane!

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited December 2013

Sweet, I am glad to see you around. I never see you on the DIEP site. Glad I was taking a quick read through here, and saw you reached out. I am good. Had my exchange surgery last week with fat grafting. The lipo and grafting was the worst part. I swore I would never do it again, but now that pain is fading and I can see the results, well.....never say never. Heheheheeh. The verdict is still out on the foobs. I think there is some tweaking to be done. Will see PS tomorrow.

How about you? How are you feeling? Are you getting out more? Is the Cymbalta helping with your pain? I hope it is. Do you have a stage 2 coming up?

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited December 2013

Good morning, gloobsters! Nihahi, congrats on the Chinook; I hope it makes the weather more enjoyable there. The hot wind there may keep people sane but it makes people crazy here. Santa Ana winds are our hot winds, and they just make a mess. Trash cans blow over, power lines down, hard to keep my little Prius on the road. But it reminded me of a quote I came across a long time ago, from an 18th century theologian. I think it's still worth a read--

Rules Of Contentment

Allow ourselves to complain of nothing, not even the weather.

Never picture ourselves in any circumstances in which we are not.

Never compare our lot with that of another.

Never allow ourselves to wish that this or that had been otherwise.

Never dwell on the tomorrow; remember, that is God's and not ours.

~E.B. Pusey, English Theologian

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

Wow......ThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUp!

I LIKE THAT!!!! Thanks sbe!!! (EXCEPT...I reserve the right to complain about the weatherNerdy)

Have a great day in the tube!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited December 2013

sbe - I LOVE the rules of contentment! By any chance, was E.B. Pusey from Florida? It's -11 C here this morning, and even my basset hound is grumbling about the cold.

Goldie - So happy that your pain has lessened!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited December 2013

Finished one year of treatment! Woo Hoo!!!!

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited December 2013

sbe, I liked that quote so much I put it as my facebook status today. Thanks for sharing.

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

Great quote!

Happy 1 year Bluebird. That is huge.

Cold as heck here and bad roads. Be careful Bailey and Kat.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited December 2013

Movie....once again you made me laugh out loud.....that is an excellent exercise...you are full of good advice :)

Congratulations on your year, Blue :) Sorry you are in this "race" at all....but so glad you are here with us in this "room" :)

Cherrie...yes the roads have been lousy all week! 8 days straight of snow!

Thanks for all of your kind words about about my friend. We will cope...for now we just cope. Hopefully next month we will paint her bedroom the color she has always wanted and make her a beautiful sanctuary. I know my recovery room has been a great comfort to me and everyone that comes in loves it. We (the girlfriends) are not always good about staying in touch, but we are hoping to make a commitment to dinner together on the second Sunday of the month, every month, to make sure we do better. The Second Sunday Club!

And, drum roll please......THING ONE GOT A FULL TUITION SCHOLARSHIP!!!!!! We got the letter today. Good news feels so darned good, doesn't it??? We are so proud of the boy....he has worked so hard!!!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited December 2013

well...just jumped on to take a peek....

Bailey!!!!!! Such awesome, awesome news....brought tears to my eyes......so very happy for you, your family, and especially Thing One......what a tremendous accomplishment! Sometimes I think our cancer journey allows us to savor the sweet just a little more, because we have so much bitter.....this is a sweet victory ! You may not have to resort to bagging your head against a wall.....Loopy

Sbe.....you little cutie......makes me want to bring you home and set up DD's hamster maze.......Nerdy

Blue......you are one tough cookie, and if I ever need someone to have my back, you, my friend, are it!

Have to run...may pop back a little later......XO to all

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

Bailey, what a beautiful kindness, to paint her bedroom "her" color. And your news about the scholarship made me gasp. How WONDERFUL! Blessings overflowing! And yes, good news is so...good. Is Thing One on the top of the world? Of course he is.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

bailey.....such a wonderful thing to do for your friend, such amazingly awesome news for thing one!!!!!!!!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited December 2013

He is THRILLED! The scholarship is for his school of choice and now he doesn't have to compete anywhere else. We will see if he can pick up anything else by way of scholarships to help with room, board and books, but the scholarship he got today is the bulk of it.....we can cash flow the rest for him if we have to. He will have his Eagle Scout Board of Review soon....he turns 18 next week...been on two dates with a new girl...yeah lol....he feels pretty good right now....world is his oyster.

• Janet_M
    edited December 2013

Bailey - Wonderful news about your son! What a spectacular time of his life, and yours. You must be so proud. Heck- I'm friggin' proud of him! Such happy & deserving news.

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2013

Bailey- Oh my gosh that is wonderful news for your son! Big congrats to him and I can bet you are one proud momma!

Bluebird- Congrats on a year! 

Nihahi- I remember the months of gray darkness when I lived in Iowa so I know how far a little sunshine and warmth can go towards helping your mental state.

Goldie- Glad to hear that you are starting to feel better. I have my stage two scheduled for January 15th. The cymbalta has helped with the pain and my anxiety which is great. I jave put on yet another tenpounds in a month though so Im kinda miserable about that, I look horrible rigt now, bleh.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited December 2013

Bailey, that is wonderful news!!!

Definitely have him apply for every scholarship under the sun. There are many scholarship searches online. Just be sure it's a reputable one. 

At my university, the really gifted students do very well financially. Some end up with so many scholarships that not only is room and board and books covered, but they end up with money left over. 

Another trick is to play one university against another. Tell them he is considering other offers from other colleges.  If they really want him sometimes they will jump to offer more.  Usually it's for athletes, but not always. 

What a wonderful way to end the year! Congratulations! You must be so proud!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited December 2013

Bailey, it's so good to hear such happy news about your son! And what a dear friend you are.

Bluebird, congrats on completing treatment. A celebration is in order.

Sbel, love the photo. It reminds me of an enlarged tube you use at the drive-through pharmacy...whoosh!

I'm not posting much, friends, but I care about each of you and appreciate your care and support.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

I GOT IT.....I kept thinking that sbe's tube reminded me of something (well, something besides a hamster containment unit).....IT'S LIKE A TIME CAPSULE.....OR BETTER YET.....A TIME TRAVEL CAPSULE!!!!!!

YEP, I bet you can travel through worm holes in that thing and visit alternate universes....of course, it might just be the O2 sats playing with your brain, but....sounds like fun, eh!!!!!!!

hugs, jeannie, you don't have to be posting to be in our hearts.

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2013

jeannie, your avatar always brings a smile to my face. You have such a sweet and contagious smile. I am sure everyone you know would wish you to keep on smiling. Whatever you do, jeannie, don't try the first version of the "movie exercise," I tried it before my bridge last night and it didn't work. Now I see that the version 2 has changed from "banging" to "bagging." After she explains to us how to "bagging your head against a wall.....," I might try it before my next bridge game...Winking

Congratulations Bailey and Blue. Happy time travel sbe.

Thanks for asking about Chinook, cherrie. Very interesting.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited December 2013

Bailey, that is such great news about your son. Sounds like his senior year is going to be a great one.

Jeannie, I'm thinking about you sista. You are in our hearts.

Sweet, I'm on that upward track too. However I know I'm eating more than I should. I just like the way it tastes!

Sbe, you are looking good!

Grand kids have their Christmas program at church tonight. My mom's family Christmas is tomorrow. It's starting to look a lot like Christmas...

Have a great weekend everyone! ...Julie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2013

I love spending the day away from the computer and coming home to such joyful flappers! Sounds like everyone is doing well and having a great time. Yea for Thing One! Way to go!

• sweetpickle
    edited December 2013

For mynorthern sisters.........lol........happy friday!
  • nihahi
    edited December 2013

sweet.....LOVE THE PIC.....I've actually seen 4 bears at once...but it was a momma grizzly with 3 cubs. Hope to always and only see them from inside a car!!!

• sbelizabeth
    edited December 2013

Hahahaha...great pic, Sweet. I believe those are grizzlies. I've seen several black bears while camping, and kept a very respectful distance.

• Janet_M
    edited December 2013

Oh yeah, I recognize those bears!

• sweetpickle
    edited December 2013

I think they are adorable as long as there is a screen between me and them!

• Cherrie
    edited December 2013

Bailey- Your post brought a smile to my face. You sound so proud of your son as you should be. Also, your friend is so lucky to have this circle of love. She needs it.

Sweet- Love that picture and would love to see them from a distance.

Marty- thinking of you DIEP SISTER. Your time is almost here. Give Dr. Massey a big hug for me. I am going to Chicago at the end of April as she would like post pictures. I am happy to do that for her.

Nihahi-continuing with shoulder exercises and ice. Slacked today as I was at a funeral and had an evening out. My shoulder is better, but I still have work to do.

Jeannie-I think of you every day. (((Hugs)))

Ok, it is 2:30 AM here and I am trying to get sleepy after waking up. I think it will be a long night.

• nihahi
    edited December 2013

bailey.....could you please send your cleaning crew to my place when you have your place sparkling!!!!! Laundry seems to accumulate in the dark, doesn't it. I mean, there is now just me and hubby......laundry still piles up, just like it used to. Thank the lord we don't have to take it down to the stream and beat it on a rock.

sweet....????? You've put on another 10 lbs, since tracking what you eat???? Are you eyeballing portion sizes or actually measuring them??? Have you tried the sites like Fitness Pal??? Something just isn't right....maybe it is med related....????? Don't give up....you CAN get things sorted out, and feel better.....I KNOW YOU CAN!!!!!!

cherrie.....hope you eventually got some zzzzzz's!!!!!! Hang in there with the shoulder stuff....you're realistically looking at weeks or months, not days....but progress is progress...stick with it!!!!

have good days ladies.....!!! hugs to all.

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2013

Sharing my wealth with all: