Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited January 2014

Good news, Bailey!  People can be kind all over the world, isn't that a blessing?  We'll be in your mom and dad's pockets next week, be sure to tell them that.

Nihahi, I'm sure Bailey would rather come dust in sunny California than snowy Canada.  And I have a swiffer.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited January 2014

Bailey, good news for your dad indeed! And yes, the world is full of good people everywhere.

Nihahi and Sbel, you are too funny! I'm in for a little housework myself today. There are parts of my that need some serious tidying. With DH underfoot it will be interesting. It is just too wet and miserable for him to go outside, and he's pacing like a caged tiger already, so maybe I'll give him a room to tidy? LOL.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited January 2014

Liefie, your DH could come over and help paint our new baseboards! I am dreading crawling around and doing it. Seahawks this afternoon----Kakaw!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2014

Great news Bailey! Keep us updated. 

I am taking a step back on keeping up with all the posts in the 2013/2014 threads.  Staying connected to this thread and NOLA for sure. I love you guys and have come through a lot because of you. 

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited January 2014

Bailey, so great to hear how well your folks are doing.  That is incredible.  The surgery looks very interesting.  Praying that all goes smoothly.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited January 2014

Haha....would love to dust in Canada and California....anywhere with my dear friends.

Liefie, yes, put him to work! I put DH and the Things to work for two hours with me! I am always amazed at how much we can accomplish with all four of us having at it. Thing 1 was very funny. I asked him to clean the kitchen sink. Apparently he's never been assigned that job before. So I gave him a tutorial and left. A few minutes later he yelled, "Thank you for every time you've done this before!". LOL. I came back a few minutes later and he said, "Days like today remind me why the 50's were such a great time period for one group (men) and really sucked for another (women)". And I reminded him that not only were you doing all the work to run the house but you (a woman) did it in a dress and heels (not pjs like I was still in). 

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

Thing 1 sounds like a sweetheart......good job parenting an enlightened male, bailey!!! Your future DIL will thank you!!!

fyi sbe....I  have a swiffer, assorted scented "swiffs" AND I'll toss in a cup of coffee with a touch of "bailey's" in it !!!! Game on sista.

• liefie
    edited January 2014

Yes Bailey, you're raising a boy who's going to be a gem of a DH to some very lucky woman! So glad I don't live in the fifties. Would have worn the dress, but the heels? Nooo way. I'm barefoot 99% of the time! Was amusing in S.A. whenever my newly married DS helped to clear the table, did kitchen cleanup, pack/unpack the dishwasher, and did other jobs around the house for his new MIL. She was over-the-moon impressed with him every single time, because there men don't really help around the house as a rule. Don't know what the new FIL was thinking - probably that DS was trying to score points - lol.

DH and I now busy in our bedroom. I have a few large black garbage bags, and today we're going to throw out everything we have not worn for the last 18 months or so. He does not part easily with his stuff, so diplomacy/patience will have to be employed.

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Liefie, sorry, but you had me going with "DH and I now busy in the bedroom.."! Lol.

I was born in the fifties and I don't remember my mom wearing dresses or heels. The west coast is more informal, though, I guess. She did wear black short-heeled shoes with short white shorts, though! Strange and, I'm sure, not typical!

• Cherrie
    edited January 2014

Jeannie that was my very first thought. Great minds think alike. Go for it Liefie, I am in a purging mood too.

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

I stopped reading and averted my eyes at the "busy in the bedroom" paragraph.....what did I missShocked

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

haha! 

I recently purged 2 huge black garbage bags full of only MY clothes. My closet looks just the same! I need to do it again and again. Do I get rid of all my dresses, the least amount of clothing I own, because I rarely wear them?? 

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

ok, I am really in the minority here. I can pack all my summer stuff into one small tote. Then, when the seasons change, I empty the tote, hang up the summer stuff, and pack away the winter stuff...in the same tote....what is wrong with this picture???? I guess I have to admit....I have a boring closet!

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Nihahi, when I move to a condo like you, things will have to drastically change in my closet! I am trying to slowly get there....

• Cherrie
    edited January 2014

I got rid of anything I had not worn in the last year or two. Two for dresses as I rarely get in one and they are expensive to replace. I am trying to simplify and wear out my clothes a little more. I am not a shopper. I have one purse that is falling apart so I know I need to get a new one. Ha ha! 

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

But I do have 3 pairs of runners, and 2 pairs of hikers, 1 pair of snowshoe boots and 1 pair of ski boots!!! Maybe I'm a shoe person and never realized it!!

cherrie...I'm also in need of a new purse...for the same reason as you....but, then, I do have 3 backpacks!Nerdy..oh, and a set of paniers!

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

movie....??????.......sending hugs {{{{{{{{{X}}}}}}}}}}

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2014

happy 2014 ladies!  Well I got my first chuckle of the year (aside from the Fredericks of Hollywood catalogue right after my mastectomy).... It's a reminder for my annual mammogram from the radiologist's office....and to borrow from another BCO sister "since I failed that test miserably the first time around, guess I don't need to retake that test again!" Happy

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

hahaha...I like your response cuetang...hope things are well....it's going to be a good year...RIGHT!!!!!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited January 2014

Cuetang, I received one of those notices, as well.   I actually called up BS's office to tell them I wouldn't be needing a mammo......receptionist informed me that BS STILL wanted to see me (maybe to see outcome of PS's work) and to make an appt.   I told PS she wanted to see me, and he said in no uncertain terms that I was NOT to have a mammo-EVER.   BS did indeed want to do a US next year.....then possibly a mammo the following year (like hell, I thought to myself)...... I told her what PS said,.....and if she still insists on a mammo, I will be searching for a new place to be seen......

Nice to hear from you!

Still dealing with supercold.......having this cough kinda reminds me of getting dog poop on your shoe......you try to clean it off, then you go inside, and you can STILL smell it, but you can't see it.....but it's still THERE.......yup, that's my analogy for this crap.....pun intended.  Loopy

• Cherrie
    edited January 2014

GHEEZ Movie, you have been dealing with this CRAP for a long time now. Hoping for congestion free days ahead. Take care of yourself. 

Nihahi- How are you doing this evening? Hopefully much better. 

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

movie, that STINKS! Pun intended. I hope you start feeling better faster this week.

I, too, received notice that I needed a mammogram last year. The very same breast center that totally mishandled telling me I had breast cancer CALLED me and said I needed a mammo. Grrrr. I did laugh and say a mammo would be difficult since I HAD NO BREASTS!!!  I love Cuetang's answer, too.

I am getting pretty annoyed with my increasing hot flashes. They weren't so bad last year but have increased.  Another thing to bring up to MO on Wednesday.  

• liefie
    edited January 2014

Oh you girls! I should have chosen my words better - LOL! We were busy, a different kind of busy . . . oh what the heck, this is just sounding even worse, so 'nuff said. Hahahaaa!

Movie, you're sounding way better, and I like your analogy of how difficult it is to shake off that smell, I mean cold!

It's so funny about the reminders of mammograms/tests etc. on our non-existent breasts. One would think these doc's offices would be sharper seeing that they are the ones who find the ca most of the time! One thing is sure. At this stage I cannot imagine getting a mammo of the DIEP breast ever again. To have that precious, expensive piece of flesh squished/abused flat like that? I don't think so!

• Cherrie
    edited January 2014

My BS office notified me about having a mammogram. I told them I did not have breasts, but they said there was still breast tissue and thought I should reconsider. Dr. Massey wrote and faxed a letter stating that I should never have another mammo again. I did need a baseline MRI though and that office did not return my call. My MO took care of everything and personally talked to my PS. 

I think doctors are still learning about these surgeries and we will have to help educate them. 

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

hahahaha....give it up liefie...there's no "emergency exit" for you!!!! Hope hubby let go of at least a few things. Mine drives me nuts....it's like a monumental effort to get him to go into a clothing store, much less try anything on. Literally, he will stand in the doorway of a men's store and actually say "naw, there's nothing in there that looks right"....SERIOUSLY???? But then, will he ever let go of anything....noooooo...he has shirts hanging in the closet he hasn't worn in years...even before we moved...refuses to toss them, even though they last fit him 10 years ago!!!! argh!!!

movie....OMG....what is going to get things better for you??? You are being followed by a doc, right??? Try to hang in there. Have you been using your essential oils????  They probably won't help the pneumo, but might just make you feel better?? Maybe????

cherrie...I'm doing much better, thanks, aside from being somewhat "plugged". Went for a long walk today, (about 8k), which ended up being about 3k too long, so I'm tuckered out, but other than that, no complaints here. 

Hubby and I are now trying to find a way to get down to Great Falls, MT to sort things out with Social Security. They agree that I never did pass away, but now they say they have no record of my name change when I married, so my "certificate of life" is only in my maiden name....and of course, all my other documents of "proof" are in my married name. There is NO WAY I am sending them things like my passport and marriage certificate through the mail, given how screwed up things are, so I now have to take those documents in person to the closest SSA office, sort out the SSA, then get them to re-issue my "certificate of life" in my married name...so I can then submit that to the IRS....SO I CAN PAY LAST YEARS TAXES!!!!!!! About a 6 hour drive, one way, at least an overnight, then another drive back....in winter.....such fun!!!!!!

• liefie
    edited January 2014

Nihahi, DH actually did part with a few things, but not close to what I threw out. Men really seem to have a hard time letting go of their old clothes. His closet is still stuffed - his problem, not mine. It sucks that you have to go through all that trouble just so you can pay taxes. Really? You did no screw this up . . . yeah, I know. Some things you just can't fight. But it is not fair.

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Oh, Nihahi, what a bummer. I'm glad you aren't dead, at least! Safe travels whenever you work it out. Does it have to happen before your AZ trip? AZ sure sounds good right now. I'm tired of the gray skies and damp cold and it's only January! I am thankful to have warm clothes, hot food and a comfortable home.

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

I have given up trying to find anything fair or reasonable about this whole mess.....I'm just grateful that Den is able to take time off from work to help me sort it out. I'm just keeping my focus on the fact that in two weeks, (unless they decide to stop me at the border!!!) we'll be relaxing and playing in Arizona.

When are you going to Seattle???

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2014

thanks gals about the reassurances that a mammogram is not needed.  In my case, the PS and BS are pretty much on the same page about no mammograms...I think I just tripped up the automatic mailer time period for the radiologist's office computer.  Silver lining to all of this is that I don't have to go through that squishy torture machine again! Smile

Movie-- I hope you feel better soon, ugh!

Nihahi-- I'm just catching up on the "passing away" story-- what a mess!  Hope it gets sorted out soon.  How much harder can the government make it to pay taxes? Loopy

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited January 2014

Liefie - 'One would think that these doc's offices would be sharper...' Yes! One Would!

I was a a bit starry eyed at the beginning of my treatment, and thought whatever these offices said, goes. But it was a necessary jolt of reality when I realized that that they weren't any sharper than my mechanic, or my dentist.   More educated, yes, and much more compassionate,  but I learned that is was still up to me to double check everything. F'rinstance, with his chart in hand, my PS's intern told me confidently that I had enough belly fat to make one perfect breast. ( I needed two!). And then my BS didn't show up for DIEP surgery due to a scheduling error (He was in Germany). And there were lots of other little things in between.....

But if I get a reminder of a mammo - I'm going to borrow from Cuetang. That made me laugh out loud.