Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited January 2014

Hey, Nihahi, Liefie has beautiful white hair! No "flashing" pressure. I would probably be more comfortable in some kind of "private," though when I think of the multitudes of doctors, nurses, techs, etc. who have seen my new girls.....I hope you enjoy your relaxing day tomorrow.

Liefie, I hope both of our appts. are uneventful.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited January 2014

Jeannie and Liefie.....I will be in BOTH your pockets tomorrow.....with fingers crossed for good outcomes.....XO

Janet....love your new avatar....you are MUCH prettier than your egg, as cute as it is.  Better bring it along for the show-and-tell in case we don't recognize you.....but, you're IN, girl!Winking   What I worry about (okay, not really) is what other people in the bathroom are thinking......I am sure that last Sunday we freaked SOMEONE out!

Nihahi.....go to the fitness center early, do 10,000 steps on the elliptical, and RELAX the rest of the day! And stop with the "grey hair" schnazz.....only the wisest among us is allowed to have it!Nerdy

Love you ladies!  XO

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited January 2014

Nihahi, only our hair stylists know!  Only a few have pretty enough grey hair to go for it.  Mousy brown and grey do not make for nice color.

Nice pic, Janet!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited January 2014

I had to see if I could find something more recent.  Still need a newer one.  I'm just waiting for a good hair day!  Jeannie, the weather is still not so good, but this weekend looks fabulous.  It is still so much better than so many others are experiencing.  Time to take the girls out to go potty before bed!  Nite, all!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited January 2014

Hi ladies - I have a question. What does everyone do for BC follow up? My diagnosis was July 2011, followed by treatment, then DIEP in 2013. For the first year I was having check-ups every 3-6 months, but now I'm seeing my BS and ONC once a year. I'm seeing my PS fairly regularly, and my BS said I'm basically a Plastic Surgeon's patient at this point,  while he'll continue to see me on a yearly basis. He also said I can always call/email with any concerns. I'm feeling pretty content to concentrate on moving ahead, living a healthy life, and getting some nipples. 

Jim, on the other hand, is astonished I'm not being looked at more regularly and fears I'm falling through the cracks. Am I being too lackadaisical about my follow-up? How often does everyone see their doctors?

Thanks,

Janet (formerly the egg)

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Julie, nice!

Janet, I haven't seen my BS since six months after bmx. I just saw my rad onc and don't really need to see her anymore but it was recommended to get an annual CT of my lungs. Not excited for that, it's such a hassle with LE. I see my Onc. every three months but we'll be moving that to every six. Their general rule is every three months for the first year then every six months for two years, I think. It's been two years since diagnosis but one year since chemo ended. I think they go from there, I don't know. My cancer center doesn't do routine imaging at these appts. and they think blood markers are unreliable, so it's more a skin exam, node exam and questions. I know other women have those other things. Of course, I see the PS a lot with all the recon. And my PCP. And my eye doctors. Gyno today. Dermatologist next week....Holy Crap!  I, too, want to move on but my body really isn't cooperating except for cancer-wise. I did have an uneventful gyn. appt. today, thank God! 

• Janet_M
    edited January 2014

Jeannie - Thanks. Your appointment book sounds jam packed.  Must be pretty frustrating for you to be tied to so many doc visits, but I'm glad to hear that today's was uneventful. Uneventful is good!

I know other women who have had other forms of cancer who go for routine blood exams. My initial tumour could have been detected a lot earlier, had I bee more vigilant so I don't want to get too comfortable. Yesterday I had a bone scan as recommended by my physiatrist. I have pain in my shoulder/arm and he wanted to rule out anything out of the ordinary before we start a rehab program. I thought it would just be a scan of my arm, but it was the whole body due to 'my history of cancer'. When I looked at that giant machine my stomach just sunk, and I remembered when I first saw it two years ago. I sometimes think that my whole BC thing wasn't awful - but then I relive certain moments - and yuck. There were some bad days. However, after I got over my initial anxiety, I fell asleep on the table. How's that for progress? 

Also, is the node exam as simple as just feeling them - or is it more involved.  

Happy Friday Everyone

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Janet, as usual, your thoughts are so relatable! My treatment wasn't horrible (except for when my skin fell off after rads) but it was long. Certain things can bring me right back there, though, like going to the cancer center lab, an article of clothing that I wore to infusions and should just give away, etc. It has been a year today since I finished chemo. I can still smell the smells of the infusion room. I was glad to be done back then but I felt so sick and tired. Turns out I had pneumonia. I am thankful for time passing. I can count on that. As for the lymph node exam, it's just by touch. I would probably find something before the doctors would since I feel lymph areas through manual lymph drainage massage that I do every day because I have the evil LE.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited January 2014

I see my surgical oncologist (so she's my MO and my BS in one) every six months at this point. They also don't believe in imaging without symptoms. They do the blood work but I never registered on any of the tests despite big ol' tumors growing quickly inside me, so those are useless to me, at least historically. I have not seen my rad onc since my last treatment. 

Janet, can you try to alternate your bs and mo appointments every six months so that you are being seen by someone every six months? That way you're not going too long between having somebody "squeeze the Charmin".

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2014

hi Ladies!  Just hopping on to wish everyone a happy Chinese New Year!  Happy

JanetM--  my check ups are right now every 6 months with the breast surgeon, and 6 months with the oncologist.  I do visit the oncologist's office every month for a lupron shot and they always ask about any symptoms.  Like Bailey suggests, I'm trying to have the oncologist and breast surgeon at different times just to get felt up at regular intervals.  My plastic surgeon now has me seeing him in a year.  And...Btw I love the pix!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2014

Exploring and hiking today in the Superstition Mountains, east of Phoenix.....Not as warm here now as we expected it to be, but I bet it's a whole lot warmer than what most of you are having!!!

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

Nihahi....did you locate the Lost Dutchman Mine?????Nerdy

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

nada.....movie.....too busy taking photos and keeping my hat on...it was cool and windy today! Did see some eagles though!!!!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

Dang it!!!!   We were counting on you to finance our party......Bawling

On another note.....you saw eagles....see any.............*legless reptiles*?(Sorry!  Couldn't help myself......Shocked)

PS......LOVE the pics!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

NOOOOO!!!!! Hopefully that is the good part of the cooler weather Nerdy! However, I am still not merrily stomping around without taking a good look first, especially if meandering a wee bit off the path for a better photo angle. Did have a slight atrial fib episode that turned out to be a small lizard (I think....didn't look too closely). Had to be the hero for hubby tonight....yucky looking spider was camped out at our front door when we got home...I can handle ANYTHING, except.....you....know....whats!!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Yay for eagles! My friend is an Alaska Airlines flight attendant. She posted a picture of the Seahawks mascot, a hawk, sitting in its kennel in the jumpseat behind the pilot. That bird was on its way to the Superbowl in classy fashion!

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Lol! I can remember having food poisoning (NOT a lol moment) at our Arizona resort and spending the night on the bathroom floor. I can't tell you how many spiders I saw crawl through the floor drain, making an unpleasant experience worse. At least I had something to look at besides the porcelain throne.

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

I have NO idea who the other team is on Sunday, but, I'm cheering for Seattle!!!!

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

I will apologize ahead of time to any Bronco's fans......but....GO HAWKS!!!!!Nerdy

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2014

Ladies, in China it's the year of the HORSE...GO, BRONCOS!  We'll be at our son's house cheering for Denver on Sunday.

I'm in San Diego--the next step of the metformin trial begins tomorrow.  Everyone pray I get randomized into the active drug arm!

Nihahi, your photos look a lot more like where I live than where you live.  I'm so glad you got a chance to warm up.  Don't you love the magnificent cacti down there?

Today I went to a meeting here in San Diego.  It was held in a hospital that occasionally hosts these quarterly meetings, and it was here on September 30, 2011.  The day I was showering before driving to San Diego for my meeting and found a weird red spot of skin on my breast.  In fact, I went to the bathroom today in the same bathroom where, two years ago, I pulled down my bra to see if the red spot was still there.  Yes, there are triggers that take me back to the beginning of this rodeo, and they make me grateful to be on this side of it.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Wow, Sbel, I get that. Not the Broncos thing but the triggers thing. Not the Lone Ranger's Trigger....oh, well.

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2014

Jeannie...hahahaha....

I have a very important question for you, my sistas.  I'm jonesing for a ridiculously expensive lipstick and just can't bring myself to indulge.  It's "Lipstick Queen," Velvet Rope formula, in Black Tie.  Guess how much $$$.  Just guess.  I'll wait for my birthday and ask the hubs and both kids to donate!

So here's my question--what's your favorite lippie?  Do you like dramatic or nude?  Sparkly or matte?  Chapstick or Chanel?

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

nude.......matte........chapstick with spf!

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2014

Oh, yeah, I forgot...on a night ride last week we found a teeny, tiny legless reptile.  Not the buzzy kind.  He was dark brown, with an orange ring around his neck, and an orange underside.  When he zigzagged away he held his adorable little tail up so we could see his orange lining.  Beautiful.  

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

aaaarrrggghhhhh!

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2014

Nihahi, what's the matter with chapstick with SPF?  I actually thought you probably used ski wax.  

On longish bike rides, I've used my chapstick on chapped places other than my mouth.

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

hahaha.....techno glitch...accidentally clicked the delete button, then clicked the wrong button again when the "do you want to" choice popped up....too much hot tub...I should be heading to bed! hmmm....never thought of skiwax...you might be on to something!!!! Tomorrow, we're back on the bikes....hoping NOT to spot anything "legless". 

fingers crossed for the met trial......! 

G'nite from the desert.

• Janet_M
    edited February 2014

Good Morning,

Thanks for the feedback about doctor's appointments everyone.  I like the idea of staggering them between my BS & Onc so that I see someone every six months. My initial diagnosis was summer 2011, but it seems like seeing someone once a year isn't enough. But from what I understand - the absence of blood tests is normal?  And we don't have any imaging without symptoms?  

sbelizabeth - I'm fascinated by your lipstick. I've never heard of make-up so expensive that the whole family has to pitch in! My advise is to go get it. (And I'm saying that, because I just followed my own advise and bought a wildly expensive pair of boots that I've always wanted. They are magnificent) Surely there must be an occasion that will justify a lipstick purchase. Chinese New Year? Aubrey's six month birthday? Oprah's 60th?

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited February 2014

Favorite lippie is aquaphor!!! They do make it in a lip tube so I don't have to dip into the the big ol jar o' lard for my lips lol!

Other than that I like nude, matte. But will do REDREDRED  if the mood strikes me. I looked up the one you are longing for, sbel. It is an indulgence.....but I see why you are in love....it's beautiful and would be perfect on you, I think!