Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2014

Hi girls,

Interesting discussions going on here. Had an ultrasound of the DIEP breast this week - all clear. Also saw OB/GYN for routine check-up after endometrial ca - all clear. Now have to see him every 6 months till 2017, but I'm 2 years out, no recurrence, and he says prognosis is very good. As for breast check-ups, I have pretty much taken matters into my own hands, and I tell my GP when I need a mammogram or an ultrasound. Onc never said anything about check-ups when I was dismissed in August 2012, so I just have to be my own advocate. 

Lipstick - mixed feelings here. I have one or two Lancome lipsticks, but after the first cup of coffee it is gone, and you have to apply it again and again. There are cheaper lipsticks that have 'staying' power, and you wake up the next morning with still-red lips, which is also not ideal. These stay-on lipsticks tend to have an unpleasant dry-out effect. So no, I have not found the perfect lipstick yet. Prefer softer colours now that I have this white hair. Red does not go well with my wrinkles, I find. I do use lip balm several times every day. Without it my lips would be like the desert . . .lol.

I have three cooked chickens sitting on the counter. Having people over for dinner tonight, and chose to make a chicken pie. Now have to debone and cut up the chickens, but feeling sooooo lazy. Why do I make so much work for myself? On a Saturday?

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited February 2014

Liefie....oh my that does sound like much work :( on the bright side I LOVE  your new tagline. If that's the case I am the Angelina Jolie of sexy lol!!!!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited February 2014

Lipstick: I'm always on the quest for the perfect one. Right now I use Burt'sBees Red Dahlia around the house, Loreal Nature's Blush other times. Both are smooth and creamy. But not perfect!

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Liefie, yummy! I'm glad your check-ups went well. Mine, too. Nipples on the 7th, dermatologist on the 11th.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, what kind of nips are you getting?

Liefie, you're tiring me out just reading about your Saturday! And making me hungry.

I almost never wear lipstick. But I do like the Burts bees lip gloss sticks.

Does anyone see their radiation oncologist? Mine wants to see me every six months and I don't know why.

Bailey, you crack me up!

• liefie
    edited February 2014

So I have the Beatles on in the kitchen. Done with the chicken - nothing like 60's rock and roll and those timeless old songs to get me going. Next is the Rolling Stones . . . now you all know how old I am, right? Do I care? Not really - lol.

Bailey, you are Angelina Jolie, and we are your sisters.

Bluebird, my radiation oncologist said at our last appointment that she hoped that was the last time she ever saw me. Suits me.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Bluebird, I don't know, some kind of origami things. Not sure I want to know a lot of details since I'll be wide awake during the two hour procedure.....maybe I'll ask afterwards. My PS says we'll be talking the whole time. I think he will have to do most of the talking!! I will be concentrating on not freaking out.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited February 2014

Wish I could come and hold your hand, Jeannie! I am sure they will look BEAUTIFUL......

Sbe.....I rarely wear lipstick.....prefer Burt's bees pomegranate lip gloss.....but sometimes wear an Origins ...don't know the color...I say go for it!  You would rock it!  :)

Nihahi, are you leaving Arizona tomorrow?  I am sure you have had a FABULOUS time......lucky girl!

Liefie, it's a good thing I JUST got on here....if I had seen your post this MORNING.....I could have jumped in the car and been at your place in time for dinner! (And I know where you live........Nerdy)

Blue....I had a SKATE flap, which requires grafting around it (for the areola) which was taken from my dog ears......I think they look pretty good.....I'm happy.  The other one that is often done, is a CV flap.....which (I THINK) doesn't involve grafting......you can see examples of both on YouTube, if you aren't too squeamish.

Bailey....damn straight you're sexy.......you kicked cancer's ass!  

Love you ladies!

XO

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2014

Having a cup of coffee and checking in. Sounds like good news from most corners!

Liefie....I expect to see the recipe in my "inbox"....sounds YUMMY!

Had to breakdown yesterday and buy some warmer clothes. We did not pack for single digit temps for most of the morning and evenings, and I guess hubby got tired of seeing me shiver. YES, I know it's way better than what is waiting for us at home, but sheesh.......perpetual goosebumps are not what I'd hoped for, and you can only see so much from the hot tub!!!!

Anyway....Happy Groundhog Day, everyone.....come on Spring!!!!!

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, hopefully you won't feel a thing, but it is a little scary. I think I have to show my PS a photo of Movie's nipples . . .

Nihahi, drive safely if you are still on the road. Looking forward to next Monday!

Movie, here was enough food last night to feed 4 extra people, so it would not have fazed me if you arrived unexpectedly! Will be eating leftovers for the next two days. DH does not mind, luckily.

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, that will be an interesting conversation!  

I'm still undecided about nipples. I really like not having to wear a bra and not sure if I want headlights on all the time.But everyone says it's the icing on the cake! 

Okay, so I'm bored watching the Superbowl. I'm rooting for the Seahawks only because I'm a birder. I remember someone on here (Jeannie?) mentioned the Seattle Seahawk mascot being on a flight and I wanted to ask if it was an osprey. I just saw it on tv and it's not even a hawk! It's an augur buzzard. They live in Africa on the grassland.  An Osprey would have been a much better mascot!

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Bluebird, I always had headlights before bc so it won't be new for me. My bras hid them fine.

I am not bored watching the Superbowl!!!! Yahoo! We call Taima, the mascot, an auger hawk. I don't know why we don't have an osprey, or seahawk. There must be a reason. Taima is beautiful. There is a Russian eagle at our zoo which is just stunning.

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

Go Seahawks... Looking good!!!!! 

Sorry sbe....just not your year for football I guess..first the Michigan thing, now Denver...there's always next year.

Liefie...the warmer clothes are for the remainder of our time here. We don't leave Phoenix until Wednesday afternoon....and we're flying, not driving. I'm just hoping my poor little car will start when we get home...It's never spent a lot of time outside, not being driven, and it's been friggin cold in Calgary since we left.

Time on the driving range today, brunch with condo friends who are down here for the winter, and 36km bike ride...Time again for the hot tub!

Hugs to all.

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

Actually, an augur buzzard is the appropriate mascot for the seahawks. She is going to be eating bronco corpses all night!  lol...

She is beautiful!  Still think they should have an osprey or true sea hawk.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited February 2014

Bluebird - I feel the same way you do about nipples. Everyone says its the icing on the cake, but I feel a little indifferent.  What I  I wanted out of DIEP was to feel like myself, and be able to wear the clothes that I've always worn. Bras included. So I feel pretty good right now and I don't know if nipples are going to make an difference. 

Oh - this is weird! I'm in bed right now and my pajama top/shirt has a breast pocket and there's a tiny wad of kleenex in it. I just looked down and it looked like I had a left nipple! Hm. I'm kind of enjoying looking at it. What strange timing. 

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

It's a sign!  Ha..I definately want areolas but probably won't get nipples. The only good thing about nipples in my opinion is function(milk) and being erogenous. Lost both of those and can't bring them back. But I'm in the research phase and trying to figure out pros vs cons.

So far I've decided on Vinnie Myers 3D tats. The look without permanent highbeams. But that's only because I like being braless. (My autocorrect is trying to change braless to brainless.  Ha...another sign!)   :)

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

I was "indifferent" on the nipple thing for years and years when I was an implant recon. What I had just did not register physically or emotionally with me as a breast, and I just didn't have the emotional energy to try to make it look like one. But, being a uni, I definitely did not like the uni nipple look either. Now that I have a "breast" again, I know I want to at least try for the "final touches" of nipple recon and tattoo. Even if it doesn't come out a perfect match (which I accept, may happen), I am sure it will be better than being a uni going forward. Did that for over 20 years.....I want to get over that "awareness of bc", every time I look at myself.

There's no one right answer for all of us....and we each know ourselves "best"....I just encourage everyone to look to the future of 5/10/20 years, instead of the surgical/bc fatigue of "now". Thankfully, in my understanding, nips and tattoos can always be done down the road, if that is the choice anyone makes.

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

The superbowl was extremely boring for me.  Normally I at least enjoy the commercials if nothing else. But even the commercials didn't do much for me. I did love the Chevy commercial for World Cancer Day though. (tomorrow) 

Kudos to Chevy for acknowledging the cancer warriors and their caregivers. Especially during a game that promotes jiggly cheerleaders, Victoria Secret commercials, booze and babes.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhMpXMPvdU

• bailey6760
    edited February 2014

That Chevy commercial hit close to home.....we took a trip to Nashville with the kids a few weeks after I was done with rads....I wasn't ready for a trip but I couldn't stand being home.....I spent a lot of miles watching the white line in the car, trying to sleep.....and processing "cancer"....

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

The Three Musketeers......Movie......Jeannie......Liefie                               Seattle, January 26th, 2014

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

movie, we are upside down. I posted a pic that was sideways. What gives?

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2014

You look like real sisters! Was this before or after THE bathroom break?

Both pictures look fine on a computer. Are you looking at them on a iPad, jeannie?

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

What beautiful women and such great smiles! Oh, I wish I were there! Looks like a wonderful time.

I'm going to order that wallpaper pattern right away. Winking  

Ha ha...the funny thing is I come from a family of wallpaperers, and metallic and flocked wallpaper was all the rage in the 70`s. Makes me feel right at home.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Thanks, Tammy. I am on my iPhone. I hardly ever use my computer anymore thanks to smaller devices.

• bailey6760
    edited February 2014

What a GREAT PICTURE! So happy to see you together! 

Can't wait to meet everyone!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2014

You all look beautiful, so bright and happy.  Wish I could have been there.

Re: nipple(s).  Right now I have just the one, and it was manufactured in the "origami" style, no skin grafting.  At first I thought, "What the heck?  I have a huge pencil eraser sticking out of there."  But my PS reassured me it would shrink, and it did.  So much so that it looks like a petite, dainty little nipple, and because it's just sutured skin (and not erectile tissue, like a real nipple), I don't get the high beams look.  I'm actually more pleased than I thought I'd be, and I'm looking forward to adding her "sister" to the other side.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Sbel, that is reassuring. I am having origami style on Fri. My originals were exactly like pencil erasers! I hope I'm not disappointed to end up with something different. However, I'm tired of thinking about the whole thing.

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

Dainty sounds good! There's pretty much nothing dainty about me these days. 

Bailey, I think that commercial will hit home for a lot of people. The trips back and forth to doctors, hospitals, surgery and the dotted white lines will be forever etched in my mind too. We actually have a Chevy Avalanche and hubby holding my hand while the miles passed helped get me too and from those visits.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited February 2014

The Three Muskateers are GORGEOUS!

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

Janet......if you think WE'RE gorgeous, you should see the FOOBS!!!   .........     Nerdy