Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited February 2014

Jeannie - You may not have cried when you heard ' I will fix you', but I cried a bit when I read your post. That's the kind of step forward I think we all dream of - when we interpret something in the most positive way. I'm so happy for you. And I hope that hubby gets what he wants, and that whoever hires him will treat him like gold. Have a wonderful night. 

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited February 2014

Aww, thanks, sisters. Janet, I did cry when I told my DH about the song and I think he wiped a tear. His interview seemed to go very well and they said they want to see him next week. We've learned not to count chickens but hope is always a good thing!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2014

jeannie....hope IS always a good thing, and it is so, so wonderful to hear the new "life" in your voice. Fingers crossed for hubby, hope you have a great night out.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, I'm so thrilled your day is a hoppin' kind of day.  Before my lumpectomy, I randomly turned on the radio and heard Rascal Flatts singing "I Won't Let Go."  It's now MY song.  

My two favorite foods:  jicama and avocadoes.  Yummm.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited February 2014

It is perfectly okay to count your chickens. I do it everyday!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, so happy for you that you "feel fixed". Good for you.  I am saying prayers for you and your husband.  It's time for good things to happen for you. 

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, I'm so genuinely happy for you that things seem to be looking up, and you sound quite happy with the surgery too. Will be praying that DH gets that job!

Movie, DH is still struggling to secure a locum. They are hard to come by, and if he can't get one, there will be no trip to Europe. I really appreciate it that you girls are so accomodating, and will move heaven and earth to attend the getaway at Sunriver. Your snow photos are beautiful! Apparently there is 15 cm of snow on Van. Island too, which is also rare. When DH got home yesterday after the weekend, some good Samaritan had shoveled our driveway. We suspect it is one of our lovely neighbours who did this in our absence. They are all great people.

Heard such a very tragic story from my sister in Namibia today. She has a friend who has been going through breast cancer treatment these last few months, and she was still doing 5 weeks of radiation. On Saturday afternoon my sister and another friend visited her at home to see how she was doing, and she was in great spirits, joking, laughing, and happy to be wrapping up her ca treatment. They had just moved into this beautiful new house that they had built. On Sunday she fell down the stairs in her house, and was killed. It seems she was walking with wet feet on the tiled floor when she slipped and fell. It is almost too unbelievable to wrap one's mind around. I have no words.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

oh, Liefie, such tragic news. We just never know, do we? What is a locum?

Thanks, everybody, for the sweet thoughts. Cute chickens, Bluebird! Zenful, so good to hear you are feeling happy and well (from other thread). Sbel, I'm going to have to try jicama dipped in my guacamole! I LOVE avocados and can eat one plain. Don't mean to offend, but country music would never come randomly on any radio of mine! Not judging, just opining.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2014

Liefie that is terrible. A true tragedy.

Jeannie, my fingers are double crossed for you and DH. 

We are planning a trip to Seattle near the end of August. The 3 rd week in September works best as 4 weeks in WA and OR would be pushing it for our finances. I would need to find a way to "Movie's" from Seattle. If Jeannie goes I can ride with her. Is this for a long weekend or what? Factors need to work out for me to commit 100% but it just may work. Hee Hee! I am giddy.

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Cherrie, the 3rd weekend in September will be from 19 - 21 Sept. If that works for you, then maybe that could be our date. What say the other ladies? Do not worry about getting from Seattle to Movie's place. Not sure yet how I will get to Portland myself, but  have to go through Seattle, so we will work something out. There must be a bus or train service from Seattle to Portland. Maybe you, Jeannie and I can hop on that bus, and Movie can pick us up in Portland? Just a suggestion.  

Jeannie, a locum is a substitute physician. So agree with you guys about avocados, and I always buy a bag of them at Costco. In the past often used them to make avo and bacon pizzas, a family favorite - yes, I know, a real calorie explosion, but soooo good! These days I use them in salads, or just with some salt and black pepper. So yummy. Also good in an omelette combined with smoked salmon, sour cream or goat cheese, and some baby spinach.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited February 2014

I like September 19-21 very very much! I will go look at flights now (no chemistry homework in sight!!!)

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Liefie, it might be good for me to drive from here so Movie can pick up other ladies who fly in from afar and we'd have another car when we're in Sunriver.  Let's just plan on me going and driving, if you want to fly into Seattle. It is about a three hour drive from here to Portland.  I can't imagine missing out!!! There is a train from Seattle to Portland. I have taken it. I am willing to drive, though, and if you and Cherrie want to share driving that would be nice, too. So the 19th and 21st would be traveling time and we'd only have one full day, the 20th, together, or are we tacking traveling days to the 19-21st????

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, that sounds like a really good idea, and I'm so happy that you will be coming too! I've also been wondering about staying in Sunriver the Sunday night as well, and traveling back on the Monday, otherwise the weekend will be really short. Air travel is cheaper on weekdays too. Let's hear what the others think about this.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2014

I think coming back on Monday is a grand idea. Then we have 2.5 days together. I haven't even looked this resort up yet. Jeannie, I will be glad to help drive as we will not have a car out there. My hubby says he could drive us and stay with a friend in Portland if we need him to. 

If our trip is 3 hours how much longer to get to Sunriver??? Is it near Portland?? 

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Cherrie, I've never been to Sunriver but I know it's a long drive from here. Movie can tell us how far it is from Portland. My daughter drove there recently. I can ask her but I don't know if she went through Portland. We should go the shortest way, for sure! I don't see any reason to go through Portland if we don't have to except to pick up someone who is flying in if necessary. 

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited February 2014

Hi all....been a busy time around here....my mom is recovering from a staph infection on her left ankle, and has a sore in her mouth so she can't wear her "teeth"  (She had implants-rods that she sticks her dentures to....)so in addition to soaking her foot 3xdaily, and re-applying the special antibiotic.....I also get to grind up all of her food......I'm telling you, old age is scary, and not for the weak........Loopy

If people can make it in on Friday.......we can book Friday, Sat., and Sun. there.....and the 19th-ish" is fine with me.....Remember, the offer of another car/van/etc. is out there.......on my $....... and depending on how many can make it......will depend on what I can book.......if you haven't looked online at the resort yet, take a moment and go there....and know that here are about 5-6 different rental companies I can rent from.......I am somewhat familiar with it, because we used to ski Mt. Batchelor all the time in the winter.  I think 3 nights would be lovely......and would give us some time to explore...if we want to.Heck, I'd even stay until Tuesday, if we want another day......So far Zenful, Liefie, Cherrie, JBloom,Tammy, Bailey, Jeannie,myself......Sbe? Nihahi? and (am I missing ANYONE else who is interested???? (No insult intended..ALL are invited......)  Let's get this partay started........   Nerdy

XO Love to all!

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

Jeannie...you are about 2.5 -3 hours from PDX......

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

Sunriver, is, I mean.....Loopy

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Oh, Movie, sorry your mom --and you--are going through all that. Hope it all heals soon. Take care of yourself, too!  Is going to Sunriver through Portland the quickest way from here?

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

I really think so, as it's freeway all the way to Salem, then a left-turn and up over the Cascade range there (a BEAUTIFUL drive) into Sisters, then Bend, and then south 15 miles or so to Sunriver.....    Nerdy

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Wow, that's a long day of driving but doable.

• bailey6760
    edited February 2014

Ok I can fly the red eye out of Chicago there and back for $188.....do I WANT to???

Nope never mind...would leave PDX @ 12:20 am on the 22nd....so that would be Sunday "night".

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Bailey, yes, red eye always sucks a little, but saving money is always good - lol. Wonderful that you will be coming, red eye or not!

Cherrie, we may have to take your DH up on his generous offer to drive us to Portland. We can then drive ourselves to Sunriver. This is getting exciting now.

DD saw her dr today. She is 2 cm dilated, but not in labour yet. Hope baby waits till after the baby shower on Sunday, but I guess he/she will pick its own perfect time to come into this world, right? Wonderful times ahead.

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2014

which airport is the best to fly in, movie? 

My scar revision was yesterday. Surgery went well, but I had a rough time. I got sick once which I never did before. Last night I had to get up and empty my bladder every half an hour. I am much better today. Ps did the injection at the time of surgery, second one in 6 weeks. I hope it works.

• bailey6760
    edited February 2014

Hugs Tammy, so sorry you are having a rough go. I hope tonight goes better!

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

thinking of ou, Tammy.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited February 2014

Hope you feel better soon Tammy! It will be all worth it when done.

Had my second fill today. It's fun growing a baby breast. lol...  Looks so much better than before. 

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

Tammy...Portland (PDX) is the big airport......(I live in the area) and then there is Redmond.......about 30=35 miles north of Sunriver....they have commuter flights in and out...from PDX, Boise, and Salt Lake City, to name a few......  

I hope you are doing a bit better tonight......another "plot twist", right?...

XO

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2014

Feel better soon, Tammy.

Happy Birthday zenful.....celebrate all the good!!!!!!

I don't have much time for a couple weeks to read and post. Just wanted to do a quick check in. It'll be months before I have a glimmer of an idea what hubby's September/retirement plans are, so it is great to read how the gals that can are getting the ball rolling on the SunRiver gathering. Hope it happens!!!!

hugs to all.

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Bluebird, I had to chuckle when I read abut growing the baby breast. It is fun indeed! Still remember how I giggled uncontrollably in the PS' office with my first fill. Breast grew visibly bigger as she pushed in the saline. It pleased me no end, and gave me such  kicks. She and DH (yes, he insisted to be present!) were giggling with me - really funny.

Tammy, hope you are feeling fine today!

Zenful, happy, happy birthday to you!