Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited February 2014

Me too, Blue....;) 

Nihahi, I am praying so hard that life works out so that you are in Sun River in September! If not we will catch you at the next one :)

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited February 2014

ok somehow this thread wasnt showing up on my favorite topics feed, just found you guys again.....yay!

Happy birthday zenful!

I am four weeks out and still pretty swollen in the belly but doing good.  Still waiting to see my surgeon, this weeks weather cancelled my appointment with him.  My weight went up again dangnabit!  Walked into the hospital at 192 and walked out the next day at 210, I am down to 200 now.  Makes no sense to me but whatever, I am alive and done so  whooooooppiiiieeeeee!

Happy Thursday!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2014

Bailey, I'm praying with you that our Nihahi can make it to Sunriver.

Sweetpickle, so good to hear you are doing well, and happy that you found us again! That weight swing is unbelievable - are you sure there's nothing wrong with the scale? I've read on one of the weight loss threads that fresh batteries really make a difference as to recording weight correctly? Just a thought. All the best to you!

• sweetpickle
    edited February 2014

Liefie- I wish it was the scale but it is what the hospital scales said. When the guy told me my weight thenext day I told him that it was impossible which he politely didnt argue with. All they had to do was look at my chart but no one seemed concerned but me.Its freaky to tell you the truth but what can you do right?

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Sweetpickle, I'm sure that hospital scale is way out. You cannot possibly put on 18 lbs in one day. No way. The guy did not argue because he knew his scale was wrong, but as you say, nobody is concerned about you but you. It is so frustrating. What on earth is the use of a scale there if it is so untrustworthy, and gives faulty readings? They really just don't care. That's the only explanation, sad as it is. This is not the first time you had issues with the hospital scale, right? Next time simply refuse to use that scale, tell them it is useless, and why. Maybe that will spur them into some action. It is a shame that you have to deal with this nonsense, really.

• sweetpickle
    edited February 2014

oh sorry Liefie, I should have said what kind of surgery I had which was bilateral Ooph where they fill you full of CO2. I thought i was impossible also but my doctor said it was all gas and fluids.  I dunno, as much flesh as these people havetaken off of me thelast year and yet I weigh more than when I started. lol      I was 164lbs when diagnosed in November 2012.

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Okay, that explains it, Sweetpickle! Women and weight - a constant struggle, eh? But we will fight on . . . lol.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2014

I hope to make it to Sunriver too, but, hubby will only retire once, and I am determined to make sure he gets his time in the "spotlight"....lord knows I've had my share of attention!

Currently doing some Red Cross work again, in the town that was devastated by floods last year. Today, I went out to visit a client in their partially rebuilt home...difficult to see how much they are still struggling even after all this time. You just can't see or hear all their stories of heartache and despair, without coming away being grateful for not being in their shoes! 

• sweetpickle
    edited February 2014

nihahi- That must be hard, we think of those folks when it first happens and then go on about life while they are still trying to rebuld.  Thank goodness for the redcross and volunteers like you who keep helping long afterward!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

yep sweet......like the saying goes...."you can always find someone who has bigger problems than you"!

Happy Valentines Day to all you wonderful ladies....there is a special kind of love going out from me to all of you.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2014

Happy Valentine's Day to all the flappers!

Nihahi, my first encounter with Red Cross volunteers was when I was helping fly patients out of Hurricane Ike.  The Red Cross had set up amazing kitchens and feeding centers, and they were all so kind and helpful. 

Sweetpickle, I was just thinking on my way home from work yesterday...when I get to heaven, I'll have a beautiful, scar-free body, complete with perfect breasts.  And no extra poundage.  But I can wait!

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2014

I would love to come to Sunriver.  I just need to see if I can get those dates off work.  I know everything's still loose, but here are my questions--

• What date would we fly in, and what date would we fly out?
    • What's the best airport for us?

I'll check my work schedule and the flights to and from.  This would be such a wonderful experience.  Katy

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2014

Happy Valentines!

• sweetpickle
    edited February 2014

sbe- so true, hadnt thought about that! :)

• sweetpickle
    edited February 2014

Let's talk gardens gals!  I will be taking my first plunge into gardening this spring. I plan to start out with containers and raised beds in the front of my house.  I know we have a master gardener here but cant remember who that was, SBE?

I would like to do some lemongrass on my deck to repel the mosquitos and some roses around a bench I have in my circular drive.  I am pinning like crazy on pinterest!  lol

• bailey6760
    edited February 2014

It's Jeannie, Sweet....Lymphedemanator/Master Gardner :)

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited February 2014

Sweet, good for you! I don't really know anything about veggies as my yard is pretty shaded and most veg require sun. As for roses, look for the disease-resistant ones and make sure they get six hours of sun. You need to know what growing zone you are in. Your local nursery can tell you and they would have plants for your growing conditions. Home Depot and Lowe's have cheap plants but the plants at nurseries are generally healthier. Have fun and plant what YOU  like.

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Happy Valentine's Day to all you lovely ladies - hope you get spoiled a little. My valentine is about 1300 km away, but we'll make up for it when I go home on Monday - LOL. 

Sbe, Movie can probably give you a better answer, but here's my take on it. Seems we are all in agreement to stay in Sunriver on Sept.19, 20 and 21, which includes the Sunday night. So it would probably be best to fly in on that Friday on a flight that allows us to pick up the travellers at Portland airport, and drive to Sunriver, a 3 hour drive. Then we will leave Sunriver early on the Monday (Sept. 22), and drop off those who have to fly back. Maybe book those flights for the afternoon to make sure we get you there in time. Movie, does that sound okay to you?

• sweetpickle
    edited February 2014

Thanks Jeannie, I am going to see how I do this year before tacking veggie gardening. I will do some herbs on my deck though. I would love to do some lavender too, I want lots of nice smells.

Hope you all have a great time at sunriver, I am saving up to go see my sister who just started treatment for tnbc. Hoping to see her this spring in Boston.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Oh, Sweet, we'll miss you but surely understand!

Liefie, my daughter here in Seattle just went to Sunriver last month and she says it takes 7-9 hours depending on traffic. Yikes!

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2014

Sweet, I had a good laugh over being conjectured as the master gardener.  My "garden" is a huge tomato plant that's been blooming and producing tomatos since last spring, and still is going strong.  I have a miniature compost system that I think is responsible for the tomato plant's enthusiasm.

Other than that...it's pretty pitiful.  I'm rather ride my bike in the dirt than dig around in it.

• sweetpickle
    edited February 2014

lol...... I dont have the best history with house plants, hoping I have better luck this time.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited February 2014

Sbe-LIefie nailed it...if you have questions before you book, call me, okay?

My heart is so heavy today.....last night we found out that DH's brother's granddaughter (4), was killed in an accident yesterday.  She was our nephew's only child......I am SO sad.........Sad

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Oh Movie, that is absolutely heart-wrenching! What can I say? That little girl has not even lived yet . . . my sincerest condolences to you and your family. Will certainly be remembering you all in my prayers. BIG HUGS to you, dear friend.

Jeannie, we'll have to start early that day . . .

• sbelizabeth
    edited February 2014

Movie, I'm so sorry.  This news just breaks my heart.  The loss of a little one...there are just no words.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Movie, so, so sorry. Prayers for you and the family.

• bailey6760
    edited February 2014

Movie, praying right now for the family.....no words...

• sweetpickle
    edited February 2014

movie- so sorry, prayers for your family!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

Movie....heavy hearts with that news. Sending prayers and hugs, for strength and healing for your entire family. Just don't know how to find the right words......

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

Movie, thinking of you and your family and keeping you all in my prayers.  I am so sorry for your loss.