Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2014

heartbreaking, movie. So sorry for the family.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2014

BRING ME ANOTHER TOMATO WORM!  

Good morning from Aubrey.

• Morningsun1
    edited February 2014

ADORABLE!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited February 2014

Such a cutie!!!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

Sbel, she has the most beautiful eyes.  I'm sure she melts your heart regularly.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2014

movie... so sorry. how very painful. :(

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

For those planning on this September's get-together at Sunriver, OR:  Logistically, somewhere closer to Portland would be more convenient for travelers. Movie suggests Mt. Hood, about an hour and a half from Portland. There are fewer places to rent there so we have to move fast. Same dates: Sept. 19-21. Movie gave an example of a nice place with hot tub, gourmet kitchen, sleeping ten at $150 per person, on a river, I think. Hiking, no biking. If this sounds good to you, please commit (again) ASAP so we can get someplace rented. If you need more info we'll try to give it. It will be fun! I know some of you just can't come. There will have to be another one!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited February 2014

Movie - I am so very sorry about your loss. Nobody should ever have a child taken from them. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Janet

• Morningsun1
    edited February 2014

I am in. Anyone else play duplicate bridge? There is a Regional Tournament at Seaside OR from 9/22 to 9/28. After our meeting, I would love to head over there to play a couple of events before heading home. Movie, any of your friends play duplicate bridge? It's only 1.5 hours from Portland. Bridge players often drive for hours to go to a Regional tournament. I will be there with or without bridge.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2014

hey there!!!!! I might be coming to the rendezvous after all!!!! Hubby says go for it....now just have to get the details sorted out!!!!!!!

so......EXACTLY what dates are we talking????? I've been madly looking at flights this morning....best case scenario for me would be to fly into Portland....hook up with someone to ride to the "gathering". Then, if there is room in a car heading north, I could share costs/car to Seattle, to visit with sister if she's in town, and fly home from Seattle. SOOOOOOOOOOOO I need dates, available seat in a car and response from my sis....likely I'll get the info from you all, before I hear from sis. If she's not in town after our "date", I'd just fly home out of Portland. SO.....I'll take one of those beds!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!! Just a thought.....Is there any kind of bus service to the gathering spot out of Portland???? That might be a way for some of us travellers to get there without the higher costs of car rentals.

sorry tammy, not a bridge player.....but I can't wait to meet you!!!!!!! Seaside is lovely....been there.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2014

I'm 95% of the way in!  We had other plans that weekend, but I'm going to campaign with the hubs tonight and see if we can re-group.  This is something that should NOT be missed!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2014

Although I can not participate, the train fare between Seattle and Portland is rather inexpensive.  Might just be a consideration!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

ooohhhh, hadn't thought of the train....that could be a good alternative too! A bunch of us could turn it into "THE PLACE TO BE"!!!!! I'm all for the scenario that gives more time for visiting, with minimal stress/time of travelling. I've been on that drive from Portland to Seattle....NOT a relaxing commute!!!

Wish you could make it Marty.......you're a significant "link" in our chain! 

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

sbe......tell Jerry he'd get Aubrey time without having to share with Grandma!!! Oh, I SO hope you can come too!!!!!!! (just sneak Aubrey into your carry on!!! Winking).

Marty....I've looked at the train fares.....great price without the hassle of driving!!!! Good tip!!!! I might just try that instead of trying to wiggle into the trunk of someone's car!!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Nihahi, so glad you are coming! I posted details last night. Sept. 19-21, leaving the "lodge" on Monday Sept. 22.. Cherrie will be in Seattle visiting her son so we have talked about driving down together in my car. Liefie has been invited to come with us, too. There is room for you to come back with us if you like. We won't have to rent a car for us to get from Portland to Mt. Hood this way. I have taken the train from Seattle to Portland. It's nice. Movie would have to go to the airport as well as the train station to pick up ladies and those arrival times would have to coordinate somehow. I don't want to speak for her, however. I would prefer to drive straight through from here to Mt. Hood since it's already a long drive.

Marty, wish you were coming. We will miss you.

Yay, Sbel! And Tammy!

• Morningsun1
    edited February 2014

I looked at the flights, I can fly to PDX on the 19th, it's an over 9 hours trip, I would get there between 5:00 to 7:00 PM. For return, if I can get hooked up with a partner for bridge, I may spend another night at Seaside before coming home. I am also going to contact the tournament partnership desk for a partner. As soon as I find out about bridge, I will book my flight, so save one of the beds for me. Can't wait to meet you all!

• Morningsun1
    edited February 2014

Marty, if you come, maybe we can do some party bridge...

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited February 2014

I'm in.....I haven't found a flight I like yet but I will be there.....even if I have to sprout mine own wings!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

This is so exciting to plan!!! Haven't heard back from my sister (sigh), but I'm thinking if she is in Seattle at those times, maybe it would work better to fly into Seattle first. I'm sure she would get me to a "pickup" site, jeannie, then we could share gas $$ both down and back, as well as eliminate the pickup in Portland issues. I will let you know as soon as I hear from her. Is the location for sure now Mt Hood? That sounds more feasible for the driving time for the majority of us. Bailey.....does that still work for you??? 

Important question...........Will there be potato chips allowed in the backseat????? Nerdy. I'm a very tidy eater!!!!

fyi.....The funding for this adventure for me, is going to be courtesy of my newly instated Social Security benefits!!!  TAKE THAT YOU SILLY IRS.........bwahahaha!

VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO MOVIE......it sounds like you are booking the accommodations???? If so, or for whoever is doing that part of it, please let me know if $$ is needed upfront. No way am I letting anyone carrying my share of something for 7 mths!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

bailey....crossing posts.....HURRAY! What don't you like about your flight availability??? Where are you flying out of????

tammy.....airline costs are insane.....I was just checking things on Expedia....a round trip for me Calgary to Seattle, is $6.00 more than a roundtrip for you from Pittsburgh to Portland....INSANITY!!!!!!

• Morningsun1
    edited February 2014

That's because you are international and I am domestic, nihahi Loopy. Yes, if there is a upfront deposit for the lodging, please let me know, I will send a check to whoever is doing the booking.

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

hmmm......maybe I'll check to see what the price would be if I flew out of Great Falls????

• Morningsun1
    edited February 2014

Hope my theory works! One of these days, I want to come up your way to try snowshoeing, nihahi. It's on my "bucket list"

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

naw.....only about $70 cheaper....I'd pay that in gas money!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014
  • Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

I just brought up the change of location to Movie last night. I am sure she is busy dealing with family sadness right now. That's why it was me posting info. The dates are firm, the location is firm assuming we can get lodging. The tricky bit will be in picking up people from the airport. Movie has said she will do this. I sure hope the arrivals are somewhat close together! Nihahi, I can pick you up from the Seattle airport, your sister's, a meeting place or wherever! Best arrive on the 18th so we can devote the 19th to getting there. I offered my house to Liefie for that night---you are welcome, too, if your sister isn't available. So happy your IRS experience turned out to be a gift!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

I am in.  I will be flying from Detroit to Portland.  My DH and I are still working out the details of perhaps vacationing after that, visiting our son in Corvallis and then maybe meander through Napa Valley.  He could fly in on Monday and pick me up with the rental car.   I can't wait to meet you all!! 

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

yep, sending hugs to movie and family.

zenful......sooooo happy to hear you're coming too!!!!!!!!!!

By my count that makes "completely committed".....jeannie, cherrie, bailey, tammy, movie, zenful, and me (7) .........and "hopefuls".....liefie and sbe (2). Have we missed anyone????? 

I am NOT counting Wilbur.....he can sleep in the corner!

• Morningsun1
    edited February 2014

That's a great idea, zenful. I will see if I can talk dh into join me either Monday or Thursday (after bridge). We can fly back together Saturday!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

Tammy......are you arriving on the 18 or the 19th???? I think it's still a bit of a drive from Portland to the "spot", more so if it isn't Mt Hood. You'd be getting in well into the first evening of the gathering if you don't get into Portland until 7ish.