Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2014

As long as they taste good, I don't care what balls they are Loopy 

I can be the chef 's helper. Specially when she is making something really exotic...

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited February 2014

I would totally love to go.  I'm still in a place where I don't know which end is up half the time. I get a bit panicky when I think about making plans months away yet. It's almost like I'm a bit superstitious.  I know I need to learn how to relax and enjoy life instead of worrying about the "what ifs".  

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited February 2014

Hugs Blue...you've been through a hell of a lot....I predict we will do this again and you will come when you are ready. We can Skype you in for a bit too, if you want! Hugs!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited February 2014

Hi all...gotta get my hair dried before it sticks straight up, but just want to say that this house CAN hold up to 16......

XO

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2014

Hi blue, if you decide to come at the last minute, just hop on a plane. We will save a spot for you.Smile

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited February 2014

I lost you girls for awhile!   You know, I'm not feeling like I'm moving on.😢. Foob is good and waiting for nipple in April, but now I'm going thru these tests for my liver.  I'm so tired of this.  I need someone to understand how this cancer worry thing feels.  I know you guys understand. I just wish there was a real warm body around me that I could talk to.  I feel like I go thru my days in my own world that is always thinking about BC.  Blah!   

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited February 2014

mamalou- I hate that you are feeling alone right now! Hugs!!

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

mammalou, I understand. I totally feel like I've not moved on. I see how much further everyone else is along with their reconstruction and I'm just starting all over again. It sucks. 

Hang in there. I'm sorry you feel alone. You aren't!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited February 2014

Mammalou and Bluebird, I am here on this thread, thinking I was moving on, but then got slapped in the face several times with other stuff that sometimes really makes me feel stuck. I think trying to move on and wanting to move on are valid reasons to be here. If you are more comfortable on the DIEP 2013 thread, I will look for you there. I care about you both! Hugs.

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, I think we all have blocks in our path. It just seems at times so unfair. How much crap is a person expected to deal with over and over again? I have gotten pretty good at moving blocks out of the way or scrambling over. I'm just so damn tired. 

Reading about your finishing touches and your nipples made me realize that one day I too can have a parade in Seattle in honor of my nipples! 

lol... Ok maybe not Seattle. Too far.  It will be in Philly. It's a bigger city. More people will be there. Loopy

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Bluebird, you're funny. However, I had 700,000 + people show up for me at MY parade! My faith is pretty steady in my life, although it has really been challenged lately. It helps me like nothing else does.

I've just received some good? news. I am the cover girl for all the promotional materials this year for the bc  fly-fishing program. Me and the trout. I have no words.

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited February 2014

I will come to your parade!  Thanks for the encouragement.  It just seems like it is one thing after another.  It is hard to go around focusing on all the trival things in a job and at home and worry that I'm going to get some devastating news that I won't live to old age.   I do a pretty good job of staying upbeat and happy, but sometimes I just feel like I can't take the uncertainty.  I'm keeping busy at work and walking at least 6 miles a day, so I don't feel I'm over consumed with worry or fear.  I go for an ultrasound the first week of a March, so hopefully I'll get some answers.  

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2014

oh my. A lot has been happening. My grandson was born 4 weeks early. I left the condo I had paid for in Florida and zoomed to Virginia in 12 hours. Everything is fine. Carter came home today. Everyone of us is exhausted.

Movie, I will talk to hubby tomorrow and get your money mailed to you. Thanks so much for doing this. Jeannie, the train from Seattle would be great if we can all go together. I have not talked to my son yet, but it shouldn't be a problem. I am 97% there. I'll know more tomorrow. 

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, can't wait to see the cover girl!  I bet you look great in waders.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

haha, Zenful, sorry to disappoint. I didn't have to wear waders. We were in a little boat the whole time. The pic is a close-up of the fish and my face...I may have posted it here or somewhere before.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, post it again!  I want to see it. Bluebird and mammalou you have earned the right to feel the way you do.  We understand, but some of us to a lesser degree than others. I can tell when I talk to non-cancer friends that they really just can't relate to feelings we all have. They try. My tablet is not behaving well right now. Not sure how this is going to display.  Movie the check is in the mail.  Thanks for finding that beautiful house. If anyone hears of good flights from the Midwest, please PM me.  Can't wait to meet all of you face to face!  ...Julie

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2014

sbe......wonderful to hear you are "in"...you've always been a "ten" in my view!!!!

cherrie.....glad to hear everyone is home safe and sound. My daughter was 3 mths premmie....those little ones catch up fast! Congrats on the grandma news. You know, the train could be a much more relaxing transit from Seattle. We could pitch in together to rent a car from Portland...as needed, or maybe could get something like a van/limo transport from Portland to MtHood....we'll have to keep researching.

liefie....NO MOOSEBALLS!!!!!

"moving on" to me isn't meaning life is perfect and tra-la-la......it means "the big surgery" is getting farther behind....the reality of life is always smack dab in our face. Moving on with that, with friends who "get it" is what this thread means to me. Huggles to all.

jeannie....please tell me the photo caption will name your fish as "wilbur the trout" Nerdy.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2014

Jeannie, what a cool thing!  You and your trout will be immortalized.  Please share the photo again with us. 

Cruising through the website of the Salmon River place this morning, and I wish we were meeting up today.  What a beautiful place, and the chance to celebrate our lives together...well, this will be something very special.

I was babysitting Aubrey last night, and I put her in her low-to-the-ground infant swing, one that's shaped like a papa-san chair.  I knew she didn't really want to be there, but I wanted to see what she would do.  I stood by and watched her sit up and flip over onto her tummy, scootch down until her bottom was off the swing, then grab the edge of the swing to lower herself into a standing position and plop down into a sit.  She is six months old.  Somebody call Mensa...

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

Oh, sbe, not only is Aubrey the most beautiful, she is the most advanced!  I can't wait to have grandchildren.  As much as I love my grandogs, I'm certain it is not the same.  Lol. 

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2014

Nihahi, I'm afraid if I am to be the camp mother, you will have to eat what you get. I am quite strict . . . LOL. Love your suggestion to Jeannie re Wilbur the trout - so very appropriate!

Sbe, I love to hear about Aubrey's antics. She seems to be quite something special! Can't wait for my grandchild any more. DD is working her last day today. Her hands and feet are really swollen, she's tired, the nursery is ready, her hospital bag is packed. The world is waiting with bated breath to welcome that little one.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Wilbur and Me

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Beautiful photo, Jeannie! Will make a lovely cover, Wilbur included.

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

Love that photo! How appropriate that you will be a "Cover Girl"! 

I wish they had a program near me like that. I love to fish. Never learned how to fly fish though. 

Ok, I will have my parade in Seattle. I'd rather see people gathering in Seattle than gathering for an Eagles win, that's for sure! 

I hate the Eagles ever since they took on Vick.  Since my family is from Pittsburgh, I'm now a Steeler fan.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited February 2014

Okay Ladies........Salmon River Rendezvous is on the books(reserved)...September 19th-22nd.  Ten of us have signed up, so far.....we have room for more.......gotta dash!Loopy

XO  Jackie

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Thanks Movie! Something so wonderful to look forward to!

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Bluebird, the fishing program I attended was through my hospital but Casting For Recovery is nationwide. You have to apply. I think they get more applicants than spots so not everyone can go. They are doing it in New Jersey in September. I just googled it. I think it's in every state.  I am sorry to hear you are a Steelers fan! Seattleites think the Steelers stole the SuperBowl from us a few years ago. I still love you, though, and will throw you a parade any time, anywhere.

Aubrey is obviously training for the Olympics already.....does she have a mini mt. bike yet?

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2014

Love your smile, Jeannie!  Great picture of you and Wilbur. Hey, we definitely need t-shirts for the Mt. Hood rendezvous!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2014

I am now in 100%. I was waiting for my son to say that September would be ok to visit. Our original plan was August.  The money is in the mail tonight, but I can't find where it said how much. Jeannie could you text me the amount.

I am in for driving to Portland with Jeannie or the train. We could take food in a car. Also, it would be more cost efficient to split gas 4 ways. Also, less planning with getting to a station and renting a car. However, I am up for whatever. My 60th is in October, so I will be celebrating that is for sure. Can't wait.

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2014

Hi ladies

I've decded that I am ready to join this thread now that I have made it past the dreaded Stage 2 surgery last week.  Since this surgery was so easy compared to the 12 hour DIEP/TRAM I can now look forward to th others as minor inconveniences to get the perky boobs I always wanted. 

I spent most of 2013 fighting the disease, so I don't think that I can put it all behind me until I get past the constant bc reminders, namely the irritating port in my chest, the neuropathy in my feet, and the short grey hair.  I go to MO every 6 weeks to get port flushed.  MO does check up and takes blood at every other visit.  I understand why MOs like to leave expensive port in for at least 2 yrs but to me it feels like there is an underlying expectation of using it in the near future. I was also told that the port would be also be used for blood draws and IVs. No other nurse or doctor has used it. My share of the port bill was over $800 so I am not happy about what appears to be an unnecessary expenditure.  I am sorry to be so down. I had hoped to spend my free time this week making a plan for the rest of the year since  I really want to retire from my job within the next 12 months. Instead, I am organizing medical bills.

I hav not been able read the 68 preceding pages but I have scanned about half of them.  I am happy for those of you who will be getting together in Sep.  I'm sure it will be a blast. 

Nihahi - I am glad that the US govt knows you are still alive and et to pay you.

Bluebird - god luck with your new boobie

Jeanne - best wishes for you and hubbie

Movie - I will keep you and your family in your prayers.

To you new grannies, cherish these moments. Eventually they will grow up an then you will get phone calls similar to this "Hi Nana, I need a favor".  Translate favor to $$.

Hugs to all 

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Cherrie, nice to hear your plans for the getaway are all coming together. Train or car, Mt Hood, here we come! My big 60 is in July. Yes, we will celebrate!

Gwenny, welcome here on this thread! Sorry to hear about the port, and yes, it would be a constant reminder of what you just went through. As far as I know the port is normally removed a few months after treatment. I did not have one, so hopefully someone else here can chime in about this.