Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited February 2014

Gwenny, I got my port out a month or two after finishing chemo. It seems cruel to leave it in for so long. I appreciated having it but was happy to see it go. Thanks for the well-wishes, Gwenny, and welcome here.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

Gwenny, I didn't even ask my MO, I just had my docs remove my port with my bmx and Stage 1.  Just like you, I wanted to see it go!  When I saw my MO, he didn't seem bothered that it was gone.  Sorry you are having such a rough time, but happy to see you have joined the "moving on" group.  Hugs. 

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited February 2014

Ugh....doing taxes and laundry today.....Ugh....but happy thoughts of September rolling around in the back of my mind! 

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited February 2014

OMG....this is going to have to be a posting on the fly.....I planned to sit and catch up.....hubby is pulling out the piles of "tax stuff".......nooooooooooooooo.....Where can I hide??????????????

Thinking of you all, hugs and hugs.....Isn't it September YET??????

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited February 2014

Thanks Jeannie! I signed up and will go if they have a spot open! 

I know everyone hates the Steelers. I'm not much of a sports fan, I just hate the Eagles despite being a former Eagles fan. This pretty much sums up my sports watching experience:

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

Gwenny, I had my port out at my first revision. They forgot to take it out during reconstruction. It was just a nuisance to me. It really disturbed my sleep when I would try to lay on that side or when I reached for things. But some people like to keep them in as an insurance policy. I never did have anyone else use the port other than at the MO office.  I say ask for it to be out if it bothers you.

Taxes and laundry! That sounds like a terrible day!  ThumbsDown lol..

Does anyone use Turbo Tax or do most people use professionals? I'm trying t decide if it is worth it to have it professionally done with all the bc medical crap from last year. Though I doubt my out of pocket expenses add up to 7%. 

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

H & R Block is what we used and we couldn't deduct medical because we didn't spend enough out of pocket. I guess I'm thankful for good insurance.  

I have had doctors tell me, " You should have a port!" because of the lymphedema/blood draw/ IV issues. I just give them a dirty stare....what, a port for the rest of my life? 

Blue, yay for you! I hope you get in. I signed up for that one before I found my hospital one and they put me on a waiting list. I am hopeful for you! Funny cartoon! I don't understand a lot about football but I like watching certain teams for some reason. I'm lucky my husband isn't obsessed with watching sports on tv. He is not one to fall asleep with the remote in his hand.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited February 2014

Just found the perfect companion for the September Rendezvous...........Nerdy

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2014

Movie...hahahaha....it's my sincere hope that I don't come home from Mt. Hood LOOKING like Mt. Hood!  

Hey, we need a name for our get-together.  Somebody think of something fabulous.

I had my port for 1 1/2 years.  It didn't bother me in the least, and was very helpful for chemo and lab draws.  I even convinced my anesthesiologist to use it when I had my original mx, but I was ready to be un-ported when I had my DIEP.  They removed it from underneath so no new incisions.  In theory, a port should be removed when reasonably prudent.  It's still a foreign body and a possible focus of infection and clots.  And the cancer is gone...!  Out it comes!

Bluebird, we use TurboTax here and have for years.  And our taxes are not straight-forward.  It works great.

We spent yesterday with 650 volunteers from our church, assigned to 27 projects throughout the community.  Our group of 30 people was at an elementary school.  We washed windows, planted flowers and bushes, spread wood chips in playgrounds, scrubbed picnic tables, painted planters.  "Many hands make light work" is the truth--it was so much fun!  The principal and I had a brief chat about breast cancer.  She was diagnosed Stage IV a few months ago and is bravely and cheerfully getting on with her life as leader of her school between chemo treatments and other medical issues.  An amazing woman.

Happy Sunday, everyone!  Aubrey's coming over after church; I can't wait!

• jazlaumir
    jazlaumir Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014

Hello, I hope you all don't mind me joining this thread, definitely ready to move on with you all!

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited February 2014

I had my port removed in my breast surgeon's office right after I finished chemo, so it hadn't been that long & it took him forever to get it out because of scar tissue encompassing it already. So, beware of leaving it in too long because of scar tissue building up if you plan to have it removed in the office. It smarted!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

Hi Gwenny and Jaz....good to see you on the "other side".

sbe...sounds like you had a great time at the school, and I'm sure that principal will be grateful for the "connection". I can't imagine a better source of inspiration and hope. Aubrey.....what can I say....start babyproofing ASAP, hide the car keys, and might as well start going through college options....omg.....pulling herself to standing at 6 months!!!!! She is going to be keeping everyone on their toes!

movie...as you well know, I LOVE POTATO CHIPS, and those are DISGUSTING!!!!Sick

Hubby and I got up at 5am to watch the gold medal hockey game....YEAH CANADA.....but sheesh....not sure how I am going to last until bedtime.....what in the world were we thinking!

Got some more paperwork from the SSA on Friday, supposedly a followup to the "registration phone call".....hmmmm.....two of the "things I have to notify them about"

1. leaving the US for more than 30 days......uh....hello?????? I live in Canada....?????? 

2. not applying for Canadian pension.....ummm.....that pension is worth waaaaay more than the SSA amount????? This play money might not work out after all.SadDevil!

snowing lightly all day with a windchill of -25.....does ANYBODY have spring yet????

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2014

Feeling right springy here!  Sorry about your temp.  If you paid into the SSA system enough quarters to qualify and are a dual citizen, how can they control what you get from Canada if you qualify there as well?  

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Movie, those chips look interesting---salty and sweet works for me!

Nihahi, I agree with Marty. It seems like you should be able to get both if you paid into both. Sheesh!  We were supposed to get snow today but instead we're getting more rain. Lots of snow in the mts. We do need the rain but it is tiresome. At least Daylight Savings Time (2 weeks) will bring more LIGHT even if it's gray.

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

sigh.....planning on another phone call to "the authorities" tomorrow morning, to try and sort it out....I agree with you guys, but don't want to suddenly find out I've somehow cancelled my Canadian benefits. Then there is the "can't leave the USA for more than 30 days thing"...wth????

ohhh...I'd forgotten about the time change....Have to remember that one. 208 days to Mt Hood!

How is the house sale going, marty??? Hope you're planning on staying in the same area....where you live is so special.

• bailey6760
    edited February 2014

Drive by.....busy worrying over Mom and Dad in Germany. Dad goes in to the hospital for the second stage surgery tomorrow, surgery on Tuesday. Tomorrow they will xray his stumps to make sure they are healed and ready for stage 2. If they are they will attach the fittings to the titanium rods they placed last month. Then he will be on bed rest until Friday when they will stand him up and start taking measurements to align his prosthetic legs. If you have an extra prayer for them I would so appreciate it.....for strength and healing, but also for their hearts. They are very homesick and my heart is broken for them. And there's nothing I can do for them except pray.....which I do without ceasing. Thanks, friends. Love to all.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

You got it, Bailey. It is an honor to pray for such amazing parents.

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

Prayers and positive energy for strength and courage on their way to Germany!

• nihahi
    edited February 2014

bailey.....thank you for resetting my priorities......prayers, for strength and healing going out to your parents AND to you. Cannot imagine how difficult this is for all of you.

• jazlaumir
    jazlaumir Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014

My thoughts and Prayers are out to your parents Bailey!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2014

Bailey, your parents are amazing.  Traveling across the world to undergo state-of-the-art surgery, living in a foreign country, no one but each other for support while they're there.  Lots of prayers for them!

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

Bailey...I am doing a drive by myself....I will certainly keep ALL of you in my thoughts and prayers.....Please, keep us posted....

(((Huggles))) to you!

XO to ALL of you!  Jackie

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2014

Bailey, loving thoughts and prayers to you and your brave parents.

• bailey6760
    edited February 2014

Thanks everybody....no news yet.....

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014

I have news. I have the perfect shoes for both my my girlie side and my farmgirl side.

Don't be a jealous hater sbel.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2014

Bluebird, priceless - LOLOLOL!!!!

Bailey, you have amazing parents. Will keep them in my prayers. Can just imagine how lonely they must feel over there.

Jazlaumir, welcome here! You seem to be recovering really well from your recent surgery - way to go!

Movie, those chips are decadent, and I'm a sucker for sweet/salty treats . . . 

A good day to you all!

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Possible name for our get together: The Wilbur Convention. LOL

• Moviemaniac
    edited February 2014

Blue-LOVE the shoes.....why don't you wear them and come and visit out in Oregon in SEPTEMBER?Nerdy

Welcome, Jaz.......this is where the "really" cool flapper chicks hang out!   (Just kidding......we are actually lukewarm, at bestLoopy)

Liefie....happy to indulge your fantasy snack food whims.......snow shoeing in your future?

Love to all my flapper chicks.....

XO

• liefie
    edited February 2014

Movie, yes, I think I would like to try that. Once I get my sore back working again - lol.

• Jeannie57
    edited February 2014

Blue, love your tag line in relation to your shoes: "fall down seven times, get up eight!"

Liefie, Wilbur convention indeed! I hope your back feels better soon.