Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited March 2014

Sbe....I KNOW I love you now....I am an avid Outlander fan.........have been for years, and when I tell people about the books, they look at me like I've grown another head!  (Or heid, as Jamie would say!)     They are finally making it into a series....the first book-Outlander-has been divided into 16 episodes, and will start airing on Starz in August.......I have wondered for literally YEARS why no one has tried to do this......love love LOVE those books....and the EIGHTH book is being released in June......"Written In My Own Heart's Blood".......  Happy

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited March 2014

I need to check out that series, I have heard that it is good.

sbe- My brother posted a video of the rain on facebook today, you guys are getting drenched for sure!  Hope people stay safe from mudslides.

I need help ladies. My old employer called me today with an opportunity to telecommute. I would be responsible for all of the social networking initiatives, brand mamagement, lead qualification, etc. I have no idea what kind of salary to consider. I was drasticly underpaid as the office manager but needed the job. Now I dont need this job but it is what I enjoy doing so I would like to do it. Any advice? This would be a part time gig but I could see it going full time depending on if they expand.  Thanks!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2014

avid Diana Gabaldon fan here!!!! Read them all....been waiting for the next installment, I mean, come on.....she can't leave us hanging like she did with the ending of the last book!!!!

sweet.....my opinion is we go through all the bc crap, to "move on" with life....it sounds like you're excited about this, so why not try to nail down some details to make sure it is a good fit for you, then.....if it feels right.....go for it! Kuka certainly felt like her work opportunity was a true "new life" for her. If it doesn't work out, then, you haven't lost anything, and if you thrive in it......woohoo!!!!!

Absolutely stupid cold here....sick of winter. Truly, sick of it.

• sweetpickle
    edited March 2014

nihahi- so true, I plan to talk further with them monday, we shall see. I most likely will take it, just dont want to undervalue my skillset like I did before.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited March 2014

Sweet, DH says here in Seattle that full-time job would pay between $90-100,000. Just a tidbit of info for you! Sounds exciting!

• sweetpickle
    edited March 2014

jeannie- Tell him thank you, that was the range my research showed as well. This is a small firm though and I know that will not be in their ballpark. I was thinking $40-50k with a 15% bonus on all new business referred by me and they pay for all of my continuing ed and license fees (real estate). 

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

Sounds like you have it figured out, Sweetpickle!

• sweetpickle
    edited March 2014

Thanks Jeannie, guess I just needed to hear that I was on track. I will keep you guys psted on how it turns out. :)  How awesome to feel like life is really moving forward now!

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

sweet.... hope it also means an easier "managing" of a trip to support your sister. Of course, it may also mean coming to one of the "gatherings" is in the cards too!

• Moviemaniac
    edited March 2014

I say go for it, Sweet!   You can always quit, if it doesn't meet expectations.....Good luck!  Smile

Nihahi......HOW could we have spent an entire weekend together and  NOT talked about Diana Galbadon?!?!    I am currently listening to all 7 books again, on Audiobooks, in anticipation of the next book.    I think James Alexander Malcom Mackenzie Fraser in the only man on earth I would leave DH for......and he's fictional!Loopy

• sweetpickle
    edited March 2014

nihahi- exactly my thinking!  It also means a trip to disney for the family next year. Woohoo!  I really do miss working and this would be perfect since I can telecommute. 

movie- thanks!

You guys have me wanting to run out to the bookstore now.....oooooo la la........lol

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

back off movie.....Jamie is mine!!!! We just have to figure out how to move that dang wife of his out of the picture....maybe leave her stranded on one side of "time" without the stones she needs to follow us??? On another topic.....did that money order get to you yet??

hey sweet......I thought of something else. Since they "sought you out" any chance you could wrangle some health benefits from them, or "fitness benefits", if they won't do health care, maybe gym memberships or massages, stuff like that??? Hope it works out for you...keep us posted!

sbe....the news isn't great about SoCal and the rain...I"ll stop teasing you about it. Hope all is well with you and family.

bailey..anymore news from mom and dad???? Hoping things are well with them too.

Has anyone made their flight reservations yet for Sept????

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited March 2014

sweet, what a wonderful opportunity for you!  Hope everything works out just as you would like it to. 

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited March 2014

Nihahi, from what I'm hearing and reading, there were some mudslides and some homes were minimally damaged, but no one hurt.  Is there other news I just haven't heard yet?  It just rained at my place.  Occasionally it rained HARD but no flooding or damage.  

I'm waiting for Southwest Airlines to open up their flight schedules and reservations through September.  Right now they're just through August.  I'm planning on coming up on Thursday, and I believe the DH will be coming along and spending the weekend with his college roommate in Vancouver.  

Movie, do you own the audiobooks, or do you borrow them from your library?  I'm going to see if my library carries them--so far I've just done the old-fashioned thing and read the books!

Sweet, I'm with Nihahi--if they're seeking YOU out, you're in the driver's seat.  Negotiate!  And we're thrilled for you that this opportunity came along!  It's a perfect "Moving on, after the flap" thing to do!

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

hmmm.....I've read about "thousands on mandatory evac", because of concerns about mudslides??? Glad to hear YOU'RE safe and sound. 

I haven't made my flight reservations yet, but it's looking like in and out of Seattle. I'm going to tack on visiting with sister before and after. We love each other, but are NOTHING alike.....small doses always work better than extended visits. Does that sound awful????

• Moviemaniac
    edited March 2014

Nihahi....you know the saying...You can't pick your family, but you CAN pick your friends...(or something to that effect).  I know what you speak of, as my little sister and I love each other, and we get along...but we are SO different!    And speaking of JAMMF...YOU back off...I saw him first!  Claire...... I will just shove into a time-travel vortex.......I GUESS you and I will have to arm wrestle for him!

Sbe.....keep your raft at the ready....you may have to float down to Valley Glen and rescue my DD and SIL!  Shocked

• Moviemaniac
    edited March 2014

Whoops!  almost forgot....Yes, Nihahi...your check DID come.....now just waiting on Liefies........

• sbelizabeth
    edited March 2014

Everyone here makes fun of the TV news because they hype the weather so much.  There were some evacuations in anticipation of mudslides, but I think everyone's been allowed back in.  Movie, have your DD and SIL been rinsed down the California River?  

I love the descriptions of the 18th century Gabaldon writes; she adds enough reality to NOT make it sound all soppy romantic and effortless.  Still, I wonder how there were enough hours in a day to get everything done that needed doing on a wilderness farm.  I'm late to the Outlander party--in the middle of Drums of Autumn," since a friend told me about the books right before my DIEP and I don't have a lot of reading time--but I'm an ardent fan.  I hope the film does the book justice.  I was so disappointed in the Narnia films!  They took the stories of the books and completely missed the mark, IMHO.

Have a great Sunday and stay warm and dry!

• sbelizabeth
    edited March 2014

Hahaha...just had to share this...

• Moviemaniac
    edited March 2014

Sbe....that picture is TOO funny!    Happy

Re: The Outlander series on Stars.....the wife of the director is an ARDENT fan of the series....and DG seems to be quite involved....I think the two actors playing Claire (Catriona Balfe) and Jamie(Sam Heughan) had NO idea how their Star(s) would rise.....25 million fans and counting.....I am hopeful that the series will complement the book pretty well.  That is what they are aiming for......I believe it starts airing in the US in August (Book 8 is out in June)....and is going to be on Canadian TV as well.....I am not sure about the UK yet......but these books are beloved all over the world.....I have been hoping this would happen for YEARS!

• sweetpickle
    edited March 2014

Nihahi- I thought about asking for that too, not sure if it will fly but I can at least ask. This is a super small company with just fifteen agents and the bossman is el cheapo, however its made him pretty dang successful. I am one of the few people that kmows how much he actually makes due to my previous position. It will be interesting to see how well I do......lol  I have never been sought out like this so it is a new experience for sure!

• sweetpickle
    edited March 2014

sbe- hilarious!

• Moviemaniac
    edited March 2014

Nihahi...for you.......Loopy

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

omg movie....LOVE IT!!! Sadly, it's more true than many people think!!!! Good to hear the $$ got to you. I was starting to think bad thoughts, given my track record with gov't agencies. Hope DD is ok.

sbe...puddles......PUDDLES???? You're likely braver than the average SoCal'er, given your Colorado background, so I'm sure, THAT much rain is tough....... however.....as opposed to exposed flesh freezing in 10 minutes or less........please don't send the rain up here this spring...no one wants it this year.

re:Jamie....ok, who has the most Celt in them.....on my Dad's side....3/4 Scot,1/4 Welsh (true highland blood re: Scottish part)....we'll have to give the honours to the winner, (as long as it's me!). 

Sweet.....you have to be wise in how you ask for things, but, also you never know unless you ask! Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

• sbelizabeth
    edited March 2014

Great contest, Nihahi!  I know I have a bit of Irish in my blood, but at least 50% is German--my dad's father took the ocean ride from Germany in the early part of the 1900's, landed on New York with all the other immigrants, and then hitchhiked to Wisconsin.  My mom's side is mostly English with a dab of Cherokee tossed in.  Her family lived in the backwater of Arkansas and we have lots of hillbilly stories, but not a single romantic Highlander among them.  

We have a break in the rain.  Gotta go take the woofers for a walk.   

• Moviemaniac
    edited March 2014

Hmmmmmm.....Celt (Gaelic) blood, you say?   My great grandparents on me Da's side were 100% Cornish (with POSSIBLE Scots connection, not yet confirmed)......on me Mothair's side 'tis a wee bit less, ye ken....50% Welsh and 25% Oyerish....AND.....me last name has confirmed connection to the Cameron clan of Scotland.......Winking

So there..........

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

maiden name.....Darroch, of the MacDonald of the Highlands, Clan Ranald. Mom's Svenska family probably had something to do with Jamie's red hair/blue eyes.....HE'S MINE, MY PRECIOUS, MINE MINE MINE!!!!!!!!

• Moviemaniac
    edited March 2014

Weel...me oldest is a Ginger......     Be that as it may.........

• Moviemaniac
    edited March 2014

In case the  similarity isn't obvious........the cat-scratching post is Jamie...I am the cat....Loopy

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

My relatives arrived here in the Colonial days. We have their Bible. Not Scots but close! My little brother and granddaughter are gingers. That has to count for something! Of course, there is the Scandinavian connection for that, too, I think.....