Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited April 2014

sbe...what an exciting trip!!! Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics. Yes, that is a beautiful photo of Aubrey and parents. It just RADIATES happiness!!!! Thank you again so much for sharing with us. Just remember....one of these days, your MO is going to cut the strings and set you free. You'd be soooo proud of me today. I dusted the winter grime off the bike, pumped up the tires and hit the road. Woohoo... took the "nip" out for a spin......fyi....no, that does not mean I rode topless either.

cherrie....that is a wonderful milestone!!!! I'm so glad to hear you and hubby are going to make a celebration out of it....well deserved!!!!!

mammalou....is Wilbur hanging out at your place??? Your post made me think of jeannie's original...Now that the "scare" is over for me, I'm not stressing about how big the final nip will be. I gave it a shot, if I end up with a "wee nib", at least it'll be something. I can tell mine is softening a bit, but still seems the same height....(yes.....I AM measuring the nip...I view it now as a bizarre experiment).

btw....mammalou....happy anniversary tomorrow...go celebrate!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited April 2014

Cherrie, awesome post! Gives hope to the rest of us.

Mammalou, happy anniversary! 

Nihahi, nip for a ride, indeed...Hey, how did your silicone strip experiment end up?

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

jeannie...honestly, I can't tell any difference now between the areas where I've been using the strips, and the areas I haven't. My scars are patchy now....some are fading very very nicely, some are still dark, but not as dark as earlier on. None of my scars are thick or raised, so I don't give them much "mind time" any more.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited April 2014

Oh my goodness, you girls are a crazy bunch - a laugh a minute! Will never say we are here because of you-know-what . . . and it is just perfect that we can look beyond, and live our lives. 

FBB, I had to laugh at the sitting up in the OR. Funny thing is that I've been wondering about that for some time, because that is the only way to make sure the girls are the same height, right? Mercifully we are fast asleep . . . lol.

Saw the wound nurse yesterday who told me to put polysporin on the new nipple where there are still some sutures visible. Did you have a reaction from that, Nihahi? Maybe I will just put on some coconut oil instead of polysporin. It looks perfectly fine to me, and I do not want any redness or irritation there. PS wants to see me again on May 8 for a final assessment. I am really happy with what she's done, and will always be grateful for this surgery.

Bosun, you will enjoy the yoga. It is so relaxing, and so good for you. I'm also starting back to yoga tomorrow after the surgery. Agree with Jeannie - God loves you regardless.

Jeannie, you seem busy, girl! Still hoping/praying for DH and that job . . . it has to happen.

Sbe, you children and grandbaby are adorable, and beautiful. Trip to Israel so exciting! Been there once before, and found the culture etc. absolutely fascinating, so different from ours.

Little Emily has me in the palm of her tiny little hand, and I am in love with that little baby. Was so sad to say good bye, because when I see her again, she will be bigger, and I am missing so much. Was a very good visit with all the kids. Good to see that they are settled and happy.

Cannot respond to all the posts, but I read them all every day. September will be here before we know it, and we can visit in person, and talk the hind leg off a donkey . . . LOL. Wishing everybody the very best!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited April 2014

I foresee several three legged donkeys wandering about Mt Hood.....

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2014

Off you go, donkeys, chatty flappers are coming in September!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2014

Katy - Bokker Tov!  That means good morning. you and Jerry are visiting one of my fav places. For all the war and unrest, I never felt safer. I have been twice so Pm me with any questions you may have. Spring will be beautiful there. 

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

WOOHOO!!!!!

Thanks to the techno mods, (because I sure couldn't get it done).....the countdown clock is now posted in the header of this thread. All you have to do is click on Countdown and it takes you to the "clock"!!!!

All hail the mighty mods Nerdy

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited April 2014

Awesome, Nihahi. I will check it often!

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Oh....just found out a "team member" from another site died of FBC. She had a DH, two little boys, she was 39. She was from another country and was so confused about why the cancer spread since she had the surgery and treatments. I hope she is at peace now. I pray for her family. Her story is her story, not OUR story. 

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2014

Good afternoon!   This is a picture taken in Wexford County, MI at an old logging camp.  Isn't it beautiful?  I hope this brightens everyone's day!

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

Nice pic, Kat. sbe, how is that sleep cream coming along? I send some of mine to my sister who suffers from chronic insomnia. I hope it works for her.

I already clicked on the countdown once today, it's got seconds and ticking away. Thank you, nihahi and mods.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, the countdown clock is amazing.  Sure makes it real!  Time to start cruising around for cheap airline tickets!

Jeannie...I'm so sorry.  Anytime I hear of another sister dying of this damn disease, it wraps my heart in sorrow.  May beautiful memories of her live on and on in her DH and little ones.  But you're right.  Her story is HER STORY. 

Kat-ski, what a beautiful photo.  I want a fly rod and Jeannie to show me how to use it well!

Morningsun, I use the sleep cream almost every night.  I think it's helpful, actually.  If nothing else, it's wonderfully moisturizing to my feet.  I hope it works well for your sister too.

And here's another photo to make you smile.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

What a sweetheart! Sbel, the best way to fly-fish is with a handsome guide in a little boat! I would do that again in a heartbeat.

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

In our neck of the woods (water, I should say) it cost $5000 per team of two to fly fish. It's listed on the website of our local women's hospital (where I had all my surgery). I have no idea how much more it would cost if comes with a handsome guide, jeannie. I will give the countdown another click instead. 

Beautiful baby smile, sbe. I am so glad the sleep cream seems to work for you. I too use mine every night and am sleeping better. My sister will be a real test...

• liefie
    edited April 2014

Okay, guys, I need help posting photos here. I have photos on Facebook that I posted there from my cellphone. Is it possible to post them here on BC.Org directly from FB? Or do I have to do something else? Remember that you are dealing with a real dumb techno idiot here . . . eagerly awaiting some answers.

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2014

Liefie, to upload pics here click on the picture icon at the top (box with landscape graphic). Then click Choose File, then click Choose Existing, & it will take you to your photos & you choose the one you want & it will upload here. 

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Bosom, FBC is F$cking breast cancer.

MorningSun and whoever wants to fly-fish, there is a national org. called Casting For Recovery for fbcers. It is nationwide, free and overnight. $5,000???? My local program through the hospital was free for us. The guide co. they used normally charges several hundred dollars.

Good luck, Liefie! Sharon gives good advice. That's what I do with my iPhone.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Liefie, did you feel the earthquake????

• liefie
    edited April 2014

One more question. You guys say I must click on the picture icon at the top (box with landscape graphic). At the the top of which page will I find this? Don't see it at the top of this page. I warned you that I'm challenged . . . lol.

No Jeannie, strangely enough we felt nothing at all. People felt it all over BC and in Vancouver, but here we felt nothing. It was the same in 2012 when there was a big earthquake in the Queen Charlotte islands north of Vancouver Island. It seems there is a hot spot there, because this quake was in the same general area just further south, but still in the ocean, fortunately. Apparently we are due for a real big quake. Last one was in the 1700's, and they happen every 500 to 600 years. Seems we still have 100 - 200 years to go - I'll take that.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2014

Ok guys, what is sleep cream? I must have been away for those posts. I will take any help I can get in the sleep area. 

Aubrey is a cutie!!! 

I want to fly fish. Would I have to bait the hook and take the fish off or will the cute guide do that? 

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited April 2014

Nihahi - Your spring photos are so beautiful. I'd love to be where you live, and see the world through your eyes for a couple of days. Your surroundings must nourish you all the time - no wonder you are so able to give. Also, I'm very flattered that you call me your wordie but I fear I must let you down. I have no idea what 'rabble rouser' means, or where it comes from. However, I will be googling it shortly.

Marty - Seriously?! We all sit up!? You must have some fabulous tales from your girlfriend! I don't want to know any more about my DIEP surgery until after I get my nipples. I'm looking forward to an afternoon of chatting with my lovely PS and I would prefer not to know about my previous lack of dignity. 

Bailey - I love the way you acknowledged your team. The cards, and strawberries, and donations are really great. Ridley and I share the same team and I'm going to sponsor their 'Ride for Cancer'. My most precious connection was with my BS's nurse, and I wrote her a letter her and bought her a Douglas Fir scented candle (recommended by Oprah) at Chirstmas. When I went to drop it off they told me she was in Florida, and that she was Jewish. Oh well, it still smells nice.

...speaking of Jewish. SBelizabeth, you are heading to a beautiful place. I had the privilege of working on a Kibbutz when I was in my 20's and it was one of the happiest times of my life. We also traveled around the country and I too felt protected - it's a very cool place. 

By the way, your family is really beautiful - and they radiate well-being. You must be a really great mother. Have you thought about renting them out for a Colgate commercial or a JCrew catalogue  - you could have Aubrey's College fund by the time she's two!

Bosom - How was the meditation - did I miss your update? I don't really believe in coincidence either - I think you just put yourself out there and were ready to receive. And to you and Mammalou - I understand what it's like to be overwhelmed. It's crummy. There another thread that I love called 'Why was I stronger during treatment than I was after' that is a really comforting place to allow yourself to fall apart and talk about putting yourself back together. Just a thought. It helped me immensely. 

Jeannie - You sure manage to get a lot done during the day! I loved the picture of your daughter. She's like a little Jeannie with dark hair, and the same lovelyJeannie smile. 

Zenful - I don't know if I've ever said this, but I love your avatar. I think I read that you took it post treatment when you were on your way somewhere? I know that your hair was short due to neccessity - but it's such a great look and a lot of people would pay a lot of money to look that way.

There are other ladies I want to talk to as well on this thread - but I'm terrified of scrolling through these this thread 'cus I always lose my post - so I'm going to quite while I'm ahead. Have a good night everybody - 

Janet

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2014

Jeannie - in Nihahi's message block towards the bottom of the block there is the word Countdown underlined. Click that!

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Liefie, they are saying we are OVERdue for the big one (earthquake) here. 

Cherrie, sweet thing is, there is no fresh bait in fly fishing! The guide puts on the "fly" which is made of feathers, etc., to look like the most popular bug of the moment. I wanted to touch my fish but it can harm it and it was a catch and release situation.  By the way, I only went fly fishing for a few hours last October! No expert...

Janet, you say the sweetest things to everyone! I want to give you a gigantic, warm hug. I agree, the Why Did I.... thread has been helpful.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Marty? Didn't have a problem with that, but thanks....

• Sharon1942
    edited April 2014

Liefie, the picture icon is at the top of the big Post a Reply box at the end of the posts. Where you always go to post comments. 

• liefie
    edited April 2014

Thanks, Sharon, I found it. Will try to post picture later. First have to finish tax papers which have to be handed in tomorrow - hate doing it. Thanks for your patience!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited April 2014

Thanks, Janet. It. Is no longer out of necessity, but I am keeping  my hair "boy" short. At least through the summer. There may come a time that I feel like growing my hair back, but right now, I am loving how easy it is. Towel dry and go. I don't need multiple hair products, don't worry about what the weather will do to my hair...I am finding it very liberating!!  If you knew just how much time I spent fixing and worrying about my hair, you would understand my joy.   And, wow, the money I am saving not paying for hair cuts or color. #8 attachment on the hair clippers every three weeks. Life is good...

• Sharon1942
    edited April 2014

Zenful, you certainly rock the short hair cut!  Looks adorable on you!  I have had so many people tell me that they liked my hair right after it was growing out from chemo - I would get it cut that short again, BUT stress & autoimmune reaction has given me a 50 cent sized bald spot again at my neckline, so I need to be able to cover it up.  Just another little incidentaloma I guess - ugh. Had this happen right before BC & had to have injections to get it to grow back. I have an appointment with the dermatologist soon to do that again. Always something.....

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

Is it just my eyes, or has Aubrey suddenly gone blond and lost her ginger hair??????

Liefie, so good to have you back....hoping for some pictures from you very soon.

I am pooped tonight (walked 17km today doing errands and enjoying the sunshine). So instead of many comments, I'll just say.....

Love you all, have good sleeps.....!