Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stupid comments ....

Options

Comments

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    edited November 2017
    Options

Bride, first and foremost, I was flabbergasted to read of the ignorant, unsolicited comment that woman made. Your feisty response cracked me up!

Second, I, too, am apparently a dirty, dirty gal since I developed an opportunistic fungal infection on my big toe nail during chemo. Did you find a solution that worked? I have some healthy growth at the base of the nail so perhaps it will resolve on its own, but I've been dismayed to read about how ineffective most treatments are, including the expensive prescription pills. At least sandal season is over.

Lyn

• bride
    bride Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2017
    Options

My dirty friend VLH, if you have healthy growth at the base you might want to consider having the majority of the nail removed. Topical antibiotics did the trick for me when oral antibiotics did nothing. There's another reason to get rid of the toe nail — infected toe nails, especially those involving the big toe, put you at a much higher risk of developing a hammer toe or even causing you to over-pronate which means cookies and all that fun stuff. Wish I had known that earlier...

Yours in the sisterhood of dirt,

bride

• vlh
    edited November 2017
    Options

The hammertoe ship sailed and sunk long ago due to a nasty encounter with a dog crate during a late night visit to the loo. I finally went to the doctor when the stupid toe still hurt six weeks later. Turns out it was broken and had already healed in a gnarled position. I appreciate the suggestions though and am glad the antibiotics helped your cruddy toe.

Lyn

• shellsatthebeach
    shellsatthebeach Member Posts: 50
    edited November 2017
    Options

Yes, I've gained plenty after treatments. I was asked today at the grocery store, "When is your due date". Um, first of all I'm no longer a spring chicken in my 50s and post menopausal. Certainty don't look young enough to be pregnant. The woman who asked it was heavier than me. Why would you ask such a question!

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited November 2017
    Options

It’s bad enough when a man makes this mistake but a woman! Hope your comeback was something like, I imagine it’s after yours!

MJ

• shellsatthebeach
    shellsatthebeach Member Posts: 50
    edited November 2017
    Options

Tappermom, Lol- That would have been a great comeback:-)

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited November 2017
    Options

VLH-I second having most if not all of the nail removed. I fought with a toenail fungus through a regular round of oral anti-fungal meds, and 2-30 day rounds (which I had to beg and plead with my doc to get). I changed everything that was listed as possible contamination sources so I really think it was just a tough one to get rid of the whole time. Finally had toenail removed and the podiatrist gave me an antifungal cream to rub on the exposed skin daily. No problems since. Good luck!

• Lula73
    edited November 2017
    Options

🦃🦃 Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! 🦃🦃

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    edited November 2017
    Options

I have lost quite a bit of weight due to chemo. Today at Thanksgiving dinner someone said “I wish I had cancer". Sigh.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited November 2017
    Options

That takes the cake for stupid. Did you screw up your face and lookat her like she was crazy

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    edited November 2017
    Options

She was drunk at least. We took her keys away from her. :-).

• vlh
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks, Lula. I have 13 medical appointments squished in before year end so doubt I'll be able to see a podiatrist, too. The nail is ugly though.

:-p

Lyn

• molliefish
    molliefish Member Posts: 650
    edited November 2017
    Options

Did you punch her too. She wouldn't remember. Happy

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613
    edited November 2017
    Options

Punch her! Good one! Ba ha ha!

• vlh
    edited November 2017
    Options

I don't want to detract from the main topic, but, Lula, what contamination sources were suggested? I already change my socks daily or wear none at all, I threw out my slippers and washed my New Balance clogs since I sometimes slip those on to take out the garbage and quick tasks like that. The product used to clean the shower contains bleach. What am I missing?

Lyn aka Toe Cootie Gal

• Lula73
    edited November 2017
    Options

VLH-nail files, nail clippers, cuticle snippers, and nail polish. If you get pedicures, bring your own supplies with you for the technician to use.

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi, I have had toenail fungus for a long time but docs wouldn't treat it. First was due to previous med I was on and now due to current stage iv diagnosis. They said only thing for sure that helps is an oral pill but very hard on liver. I have tried many home remedies and can't get rid of it. I just learned of a laquer to put on( need prescription) that works 50 percent of time. No doctor ever mentioned taking the nail off. I may look into that.

• Icietla
    Icietla Member Posts: 321
    edited November 2017
    Options

Singlemom1 and VLH, you might check into Laser treatment, Jublia topical drops, and toenail removal. Be aware that the fungus can live in and on shoes for two weeks, and it is in and on soil all over the outdoors.

Very doubtful that many Doctors would do permanent toenail removal to treat nail fungus.

I had it in two toenails for about nine years. Two easy, painless sessions of Laser treatment cured mine. The cure was confirmed by biopsy/Lab Culture much later (my toenails grow only slowly), when all of the nail growth appeared undiseased. in each of the two sessions, each of my eight toenails was treated by Laser, and my sandals were sterilized while my toenails were being treated. I was directed to use Terbinafine cream on all my toenails between and following the treatments for a time, to help prevent re-infection.

My biggest toenails were removed and their nail beds destroyed long before for being chronically badly ingrown. That is a rough treatment. It was two weeks with hard pain medicine, staying down with feet always kept up, except to hobble on my heels (heels only) to the nearest bathroom -- otherwise, no walking whatsoever. Even after those first two weeks of recovery were done and the stitches then removed, lymph leaked from the surgery sites from just a little walking.

• Lula73
    edited November 2017
    Options

VLH & Singlemom- Just to be clear when I say toe nail removal, I do NOT mean permanent toe nail removal. Just removal of the portion you can see. The podiatrist gave me an anti-fungal cream to apply to the nail bed while the nail was growing back in. The nail bed was sensitive for a few days but a stretchy band-aid took care of any friction sensitivity. Yes, the orl medication (Lamisil) can be hard on the liver. Important for liver enzymes to be tested/monitored while on it. Good luck!

• leftduetostupidmods
    leftduetostupidmods Member Posts: 346
    edited November 2017
    Options

Ladies, if you don't mind me chiming in, an old wives remedy from the old world was to smear the respective nail/toe with sticky pine sap then keep it wrapped until it was cured. Checked on from time to time and more sticky sap applied if needed. I've known this since I was a child

When I grew up I realized why it worked. Fungus needs oxygen to survive. That is why toenail fungus doesn't go systemic, because it needs access to open air - that is why it breaks down the nail to get access to air. If you find a way to completely seal off that area, you should have it gone after a while. My mother had that and - for lack of pine sap lol - she just kept putting thick layers of nail polish, going over the nail and on the skin as well. Took it about a month of that but she got rid of it.

• Lula73
    edited November 2017
    Options

Vick’s chest rub, soaking in Listerine and duct tape are all additional home remedies.

Kerasal makes a toe nail fungus ointment that worked for my dad (he couldn’t do the oral meds) -you get it in the pharmacy by the foot care/Dr Scholl’s stuff.

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited November 2017
    Options

I have tried the vinegar, Listerine and the Vicks. Nothing has worked. Did you use it for a very long time?

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited November 2017
    Options

Yes! I was diagnosed last week and was telling m’y neighbour on the weekend. I love on my own and won’t be able to after my surgery, so I was letting her know my house will be empty for a bit. Her first comment to me was about how her cousin passed away from breast cancer. I must have given her an awful look because she got all uncomfortable. I think some people need lessons in common sense.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited November 2017
    Options

Seems like everyone knows someone that has died or had a horrific experience from cancer and feel the need to share it. I just don't get it, I'm not sure if those comments are the worst or if the ones down playing the diagnosis are.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited November 2017
    Options

Okay, Solfeo, you got me going on Cider vinegar. I studied it one time. It goes back 5000 years. It has antibacterial and antifungal effects. I have used white vinegar in a pinch b/c I had no cider vinegar available.

I'm an old nurse. Never did the pedi/mani thing no time, no money. Plus, to support my thought they weren't sanitary, a study came out in a nursing journal in 98-99 That was very well done. I was very happy b/c I alwys thought bacteria. The results measured bacteria of normal nails above and under. Scratched broken lines of the top. The worst were the artificial nails. Underneath gawd awful bacteria and fungi

The results were seriously bad, I took the article into the bosses. I figured they would ban artificial nails and nail polish.

Didn't happen for many years. JACHO accreditation, finally did the ban. But it was almost a decade.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

My story, think it was 2011, I had my first pedi/ mani. The mani was the shellac? It was the second one that caused the problem. They abraided my skin in the removal. The abraided skin was red for a few days. Then the trouble started.

It was dx'd as by a dermatologist as dishydrotic excema. Absolute textbook picture. Except the treatment of steroids didn't work. A friend Chevy said in a post about sticking her thumb in Cider vinegar. It was a major Yahoo memory moment.

I stuck the hand in a cider vinegar thing for soaks twice a day for the next many months. It was a process. It was amazing. After time I was able to drop off to once a day. Then as needed. But it was MONTHS.

I used the same container of cider vinegar with a lid for 9 months. Clean hands going in and cider is a natural bacteriocidal and antifungal. In a hospital situation , they wouldn't do that, but I was at home.

The advancement of the disease that I watched, was unexplainably by anything on the net. It fixed my problem. The problem never has returned. I wished I had pictures as validation.

Frankly, I think it was a mycoplasma bug. They take forever to heal.

But---would a doc have been able to connect abraided skin in a nail shop that didn't go straight to an all out infection and figure to soak in cider. DUH.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Raider, are you going to check in again?

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Yes, I was and l and most BIATch in the post I deleted. It probably shocked you. Sorry. But also not sorry. I've lived here for years. I've lived people going MIA. It hurts. I apologize for the preaching that I deleted.

Girl you are such a great snark. We need you here. Even occasionally.

Bride you too.

• leftduetostupidmods
    leftduetostupidmods Member Posts: 346
    edited November 2017
    Options

Well yes, the treatment is fairly long, and all this time you must make sure that you got that area completely covered so no oxygen can get to the fungus. But it works.

• lrwells50
    lrwells50 Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2017
    Options

I have to say the girl who does my pedicures is more anal about cleanliness than I am, but I understand that’s not the case 99% of the time. She uses an autoclave to sterilize her tools, and has different files, etc. for each client. They’ve gotten very strict about the rules in Texas, they just don’t have enough people to police it.

I’ve been very lucky and had no stupid comments that were bad enough that I remember them. In the last 10 years, 3 of the women in our 15 person office (3 are men) have had breast cancer. My radiologist, who is also a close friend, said it’s a very high percentage. I did reply, that two of us were overweight for years and were on HRT, my mother had two instances of BC (but died at 84 of COPD) and the other had Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma as a teenager, although I don’t know if that predisposed her to get BC or not. It’s amazing once the word is out in a small town that you have BC, how many people you find out have had it as well. I remember with Mother’s first bout, this was in 1974, her attitude was that she’d been given a death sentence. Her GP had his wife, who was a BC survivor, talk to her, and her attitude changed dramatically. (Ah the days before HIPPA.). The second BC in 1982 she took in stride. I really wish, strictly from it just being interesting, that I knew what type of BC she had. Both her and my MXs done at Baylor, but pre-computer no way to get her info.

Once I had seen the BS and he had given me my options, I sat everyone down, except the two 20-something guys who would have been horrified to have been included, and told them everything. The woman with the most recent case had had a LX, but said she wondered why she’d bothered, since she now had one normal breast, and one that looked like red leather.

I probably didn’t have any problem with my family because of my mother’s history, added to the fact that my 35 year old niece had been diagnosed as triple positive and had neo-adjuvant chemo, then a BMX a few months prior. We both had gene testing done, and don’t have the same gene abnormalities. Daddy’s family has a history of prostate cancer, and my brother recently found out he has it as well. Her gene abnormalities include one that predisposes you for prostate, uterine, breast and melanoma. The docs think hers came from her mother’s side.

Now my girls, 35 and 41, will need genetic counseling and testing. The older is overweight like me, works long, stressful hours, and doesn’t get enough exercise. The younger one has done an Ironman, although not recently, and works out a lot, with a much less stressful job