Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stupid comments ....

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited November 2017
    Options

Solfeo so glad you got a decent reponse from the doc. Yes, if she had just listened................

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You didn't ask her how to break the curse??? Darn, we could all be cured!!! Yes, you should be annoyed. I am, for your sake, that this person reacted this way.
  • sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Pink, glad you made her leave. The vanishing friends is a trouble. Then after DH died a few more vanished. I didn't have a big circle. Sucks. I have to find an old thread that may give you some laughs.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Pink, this thread "OMG They Found A Cure For Stupid" is still an active thread. But it's basically a social thread now.

In the first 100 pages it was a hoot. It rivaled Saturday night Live" from the 70's' After + 100 it changed to a different thread b/c the old timers were gone.

Around page 42 a gal posted that "We would all go to hell for making fun of breast cancer. That we were nothing, but a bunch of clacking hens". Well, then the fun got even better.

We wore tin hats. My son came home and said "Mom what's going on, is there anything I need to worry about?" Hahahaha no we are just having fun.

Then one of the gals saw our stuff appearing on social media. There was a flapping of wings and changes in names and avatars. It was very funny. Here's the thread link. I suggest afew pages at a time.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/102/topics/765586?page=1
  • Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited November 2017
    Options

Yup, we are not alone. I haven't told anyone and it's been almost two years. When I read the "Stupid Comments" thread, I am reminded why. Since I haven't told anyone, the stupid comments I get necessarily come from doctors. "Well! You're getting a free boob job." (plastic surgeon, said with a big smile - re the fact that Medicare pays most of it). Another told me my grown children will be really mad at me for not telling them - for not allowing them to offer their support. I'm afraid she's probably right but I'm afraid I will lose all control over my own life, like I will no longer be me- I'll be a marked person and a pall will be cast over our relationship. I have a not-too-close relative by marriage who is all over FaceBook with his cancer experience. I gave him a bigger hug than usual last Christmas but I have become a cancer patient who doesn't know what to say to people with cancer. If I commiserate, I'll blow my cover. 🤐

PS, I love the Games threads. Only rarely does anyone mention cancer (but that would be totally acceptable) yet that is how we met and the connection and understanding underlies everything.

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613
    edited November 2017
    Options

HoneyB - I think you're a saint if that comment only annoyed you! It would have made me blow a blood vein!

However, I ABSOLUTELY agree that all breast cancer is caused by demons. It's the truth! Take a pic of your boob and email it to her and ask if she can identify which demon in particular is causing you all that grief and maybe a little 'laying on of hands' might be helpful?

If demons and idiots are kissing cousins, suggest that your friend spritzes a little holy water on herself and see if her head spins around. If it does I hope it's on straight when it's done. Wow. That was ignorant, I don't care what your religious bleifs are. That was a cruel shot.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited November 2017
    Options

HoneyBadger---I keep telling people that breast cancer treatment broke my "give-a-shi**er" and I have NO plans to get it fixed! I'm totally ok with the fact that I now tend to tell people exactly what I think (as long as I don't think it'll hurt someone I love in the process). I used to be that person that always tried to please everyone all the time. Not anymore. I take care of myself first and have never felt stronger or happier. I'm a pretty optimistic person and always look for the silver lining in things. Well, I've found my BC silver lining.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Lala, I am there, too. It is funny to see the look on people's faces when they realize that I am a little more outspoken than I used to be. Sometimes I just want to say, "I have been through a cancer diagnosis. Don't mess with me."
  • HoneyBadger47
    HoneyBadger47 Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2017
    Options

Pink, what Sassy says is true. That thread is hilllarious. You have to have a bit of a dry and twisted sense of humor. It is a coping mechanism for a lot of us, after all. I'm grateful I still have a sense of humor. Maybe the page 42 poster doesn't have one. I started reading that thread while I was doing chemo and even as a newbie, I was amused and, in a weird way, it gave me emotional armor to prepare myself for some of the very weird comments people make. I do think most mean well. Some seem to be making a dig.

Sassy I had no idea that happened or I forgot. Maybe I didn't get that far. That makes more sense on the avatar and name changes. That would be great if you could see or get in touch with RaiderGirl again. She may have needed to take a break for a while, like you did. I would have paid money to see your son's face with the tin hats story.

Perigrin, thank you!

Jumpship, yeah, the implying you are "blessed" when you do not have cancer or do not have health issues is what made me boil.

Lala1, sounds like you have reached a good place with a healthy attitude. I would consider myself optimistic most times as, as well. I enjoy a pity party on occasion. This evening was one of them. I suppose, like you and Perigren have described, I have developed quite a bit of candor.

Solfeo, it is funny to think of the little things that got under my skin before. I was really good about not letting things bug me during treatment. Afterwards, I was a bit cranky and no one else may have noticed things bothering me (fat chance) but they were BOTHERING me! Now I know it was the demon attached to me. (sarcasm)

Runor, I know several people have already told you but, girl, you have a way with words! You need to write a book. I will give you a passive-aggressive tool I use to not pop a vein...when I respond with "interesting," I really mean "WTF??" It gives me time to take a breath and decide whether I want to verbally rip out a jugular or if I want to try to show some grace.

If I missed anyone, I'm sorry. I appreciate the comments. Nice to have a place where people get it.

• HoneyBadger47
    edited November 2017
    Options

Me, too! Runor comes up with some good ones!

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

LMAO Solfeo

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited November 2017
    Options

I find this thread very humorous (in a sad way), too. And don't we need to laugh about all this with people who, yes, get it!!!

I actually went back and read a bunch of older posts. Some zingers in there. One I recall: someone who said their mom said they got BC because they were a vegetarian! I mean, who says that???

• Meowmmy65
    Meowmmy65 Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2017
    Options

Skimming through these comments, and surprise but not surprised by how stupid people are.

Newly diagnosed and trying to wrap my head around it (I was already told I was a good candidate for a lumpectomy) and an idiot man at work jumped in with "Just get them both cut off - you don't need them!" I really wanted to say, let's just cut off your penis. You don't need that either... but I restrained myself.

So rude, insensitive - and uninformed!

• Meowmmy65
    Meowmmy65 Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2017
    Options

sas-schatzi - life is too short to take ourselves seriously. I will enjoy reading the craziness!

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Meowmmy, In defense of the man that said that, if you ever have an opportunity to explore why he said that, my guess is he had someone close die of BC and methinks it was horrible. It was a outrageous statement, but he may have been trying to be protective. Then again maybe an ass.

I was going for a prophy BMX when I was dx'd. The doc was on the phone scheduling and he yelled back in the room and said "Are you sure you want both?" I said " Yes, they are time bombs, off with them both" . I remember feeling like the Queen in Alice in Wonderland saying "Off with their heads".

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Here,here solfeo

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    edited November 2017
    Options

Honey Badger, I'm truly dumbstruck that someone thinks that would be helpful. Shocked

Lyn

• HoneyBadger47
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks, VLH. If I think about, it still ticks me off. I need to completely let it go

• bride
    bride Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2017
    Options

Yes, I'm back. God people are still as stupid as I remember. And I've got one to add. Whilst in chemo and having no immune system, I got a fungal infection in my big toe nail. A month ago I finally had the nail removed and killed. There was woman in the waiting room with her teenage son who also had a infected toenail. So “mom" says to me, “At least my boy has an excuse, he plays football. You just couldn't be bothered to keep clean." Her son had already been taken back and we were alone in the waiting room. So I flashed my non-breast at her and said “Yupe, I'm so dirty I had to have my breast cut off." The receptionist dove behind the desk LHAO and “mom" just stared at me. I l told her 1 in 3 woman get breast cancer so she better start scrubbing hers with a pumice. Later the receptionist called and apologized because she had wanted to applaud me but didn't dare.

I hope pumice (made by God) hurts like hell...

I missed you all,

bride

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

ROTFLOL, Bride what a way to make a comeback. This should be in the Hall of Fame for all the stupid comments ever made about anything. What a superbitch

• bride
    bride Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2017
    Options

sas-schatzi,

How are you? I know I’ve been gone a long time — I posted my saga in the IBC Lounge.

But I’ve missed your wit and everything else, so how about an update?

bride

• RaiderGirl
    RaiderGirl Member Posts: 235
    edited November 2017
    Options

HoneyBadger : I did not go away , I have been lurking from afar.

I can't believe how this thread has kept on going after all this time. Its proof that there is no cure for Stupid.

I nearly peed my panties when I read the one about DEMONS and generational sin. My god , we could have saved billions on research My new standard reply to every one of those off the wall stupid comments about how to beat cancer or what causes it. I tell them" There are two sides to the cancer issue. There is science and then there is bullshit. I know where you stand".

My travel agent recently commented that BC is the best cancer to get because it's 99% curable. I told her " That's magical math. 99% . The BEST cancer kills about 47,000 women annually .It would also mean that almost 4.7 million women are cured annually. Your numbers don't add up . I hate to think what your checkbook looks like."

If anyone is wondering what's up with RaiderGirl. I'm well and heavily involved in a local group Charlenes Dream Cancer Support Center. I'm Eliani in the team page.

I even made the newspaper last month without getting arrested first. HomeTown News

I never stopped reading this thread and have never stopped wishing that all of you are blessed with the best, snarky clever come backs.

• HoneyBadger47
    edited November 2017
    Options

Bride, LMAO. What an uninformed, crazy person that woman was. Who even says that to a stranger or anyone else?! Hope she learned by your response to shut her mouth in the future.

RaiderGirll, hi!!!! Thanks for checking in! Your responses above are spot on. I may steal them, with your permission.

I checked out the links above. Charlenen’s Dream look’s like a beautiful place. What a gift the donation of the building is! Might not want to tell the church about the demon connection to health issues. Haha

The mission statement and services seem unique, warm and welcoming. I hope you bring your fabulous sense of humor and wit to your role and support groups.

It says a lot about Charlene that she left such a beautiful legacy.

This thread is one that has certainly lived on. Sad that it has to! Glad it is here.

Glad you are well and still around.

• Herculesmulligan
    Herculesmulligan Member Posts: 61
    edited November 2017
    Options

bride, way to go with the comeback!! I wish I were quick on my feet like that. I'm always so dumbfounded that something like that was said that it takes me awhile to recover, then even longer to think up a retort, and by then the moment has passed. Could you hang out with me all the time and whisper good comebacks in my ear?

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Bride, I just wrote this newsy update and it went to the computer graveyard. Always the next post gets real short. No new cancers since the thyroid in 2014. Hell to pay with the RAI -131 for the treatment. It caused problems that till end of 2016. The problem will be permanent. But it's manageble now. Certainly better than it was.

Still with Donnie, 5 1/2 years. I don't know if you remember stories of me throwing his clothes over the fence. Haven't done that in a few years. But I did throw his clothes over the front drive a couple months ago. Other than that we do good together. Great nookie. @ 67, I'm no fool. That's hard to come by at any age. I'd be hard pressed to kick him to the curb.

Glad your back,

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Raidergirl, you dickens..........all this time you bugger, you've been lurking. Girl cream pie in your face. But love it that you dropped in. The thread went for awhile after you left, but then went pretty quiet. I knew you went back to work and figured you were out of here. Which happens. There are many I wonder about because they never said goodbye. Janet-in-Virginia was one. She was a corker, then gone, but well. But others too.

I took a break last year for a number of months till spring. Never (?) logged in.. Came back b/c there was a problem on my home social thread. That solved itself fairly quickly.

Breaks are totally understood, but going MIA here on BCO, leaves those that are posting with you even occasionally wondering. Lurkers too. Since we always will forever be having this stupid cancer in the foreground or the background. MIA is tough b/c we miss you (and Bride), but it brings up insecurities of our own sudden turn of events and demise.

Okay, off the soapbox

SOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo happy you both are good :):):)

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Great ya'll come back and I just do a lecture. Do I sound like your Mom or Grandma. Hahah..a

This link is to the forum that you are in. You can link to the forum that the thread is in by the link at the top of the the thread. Very top.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/96

The most active topics of any forum are at the top. You can see the posting count and the viewing count. Raider yyyyyou have a lot of lurkers. The top threads in any forum is the Mods thread. Then the next is by postings and viewings. So in the forum you are in, your thread has had 78,249 viewings. Compare that to postings. This is a very successful thread. A successful thread hit's a need or a nerve. Stupid comments hit a nerve. Generally, Mods threads never show well.

Breastcancer.org: IDC Section

1 Posts 1,996 Views

Created by: Moderators on Aug 12, 2011 02:04PM

Latest post: Aug 12, 2011 02:04PM by Moderators

Stupid comments ....

1,876 Posts 78,249 Views Created by: RaiderGirl on Feb 15, 2015 06:34PM Latest post: 3 minutes ago by sas-schatzi

Port or Not to Port

28 Posts 190 Views Created by: Mamatwoboys on Nov 13, 2017 09:17AM Latest post: 26 minutes ago by exbrnxgrl

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hmmmm I need to look at that Port or Not To Port thread.........

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited November 2017
    Options

Bride - I am just speechless at that ignorant woman’s comment to you and then your brilliant comeback! Thank you for sticking up for all of us!

MJ

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Missed you raider glad you re back :)