Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CRAZY TOWN WAITING ROOM - TESTS coming up? All Stages Welcome.

Options

Comments

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837
    edited August 2015
    Options

Tomboy,

The magazine is Honest Cooking it's available both on line and in hold in your hands form. I also have a website The Colors Of Indian Cooking

there are tons of recipes there, many of them vegan or vegetarian. I have been cooking Indian food for 25 years now, I cooked for many visiting Indians in our home, and I cooked for friends too and events in various places . I used to cook for the Dalai Lamas monks when they visited LA, which is how we got a private audience with the Dalai Lama. I never charged, because it was my hobby so I'm thrilled when I get invited to do a magazine piece and they pay me! The interesting thing is all of this came out of my having cancer back in 1990. I didn't know what I should eat during chemo, I started doing macrobiotics and was getting weaker so my MO suggested ayurvedic cooking (Indian food) and I powered through CMF cooking and eating vegetarian Indian. Anyway that's the scoop. I'm too tired and sweaty form cooking all day to be paranoid or crazy right now and one of the people coming tonight is one of my nurses and her husband

• Jackbirdie
    Jackbirdie Member Posts: 1,617
    edited August 2015
    Options

Sula- I'm dyin' here. It ALL sounds so good. Savory tarts.... High quality bleu.....and the photo could be on the cover! Or maybe just save that for when you publish your cookbook!

On the advice of my MO, I supplement with Curcurin (Tumeric root). It does or is supposed to do so many great things I can't list them all. Particularly for the brain. Because Indian folks get it in their diet every day, often many times a day, there are certain maladies that are rampant in the West which are virtually unheard of in India. I guess you probably know all that, Sula, but thought maybe others would be interested.

• suladog
    edited August 2015
    Options

Jackibird,

Well, I don't know about the cover but definitely inside. I cook with turmeric almost every day, also red chilies which are filled with capsicum, plus lot of other Indian herbs and spices. Yes, it's great to include all those spices in ones diet. I've not taken supplements bacause we get plenty of the actual thing in our daily diet at my house. For whatever it's worth, eating vegetarian, I don't drink or smoke and stay in shape didn't seem to keep me from getting cancer either time, and by last year I'd moved up to eating vegan, so who knows....I can say that Indian food got me through CMF, Taxol not so much as everything tasted like dirt, now my tastebuds are back and so is my appetite

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited August 2015
    Options

Suladog, You are a woman of many talents! Before kids, my DH and I would visit Napa/Sonoma at least once a year. Fantastic food and wine!

• suladog
    edited August 2015
    Options

Poppy,

Yep Sonoma is great it's easier to work up here as it's quieter, but I miss LA when I'm not there. It's always a great switch up

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited August 2015
    Options

Oh man. I am so hungry right now. I think I need some mango chutney! Thanks Suladog! I had better learn to really cook! I like to cook, I just never gave it enough time to be as special as , really, I deserve! And my man! When we were just new together, I remember him asking if I could make him a rhubarb pie! My heart fell a little, because I just wasn't that ambitious. I never even cooked my first turkey until I was 40! But, I remember this lady i used to babysit her kids when I was a teen, and she had a great recipe for a pie crust, and I was off! my pie's aint pretty, they are pretty rustic, but I do get asked to make many pies during the holy days! yum! My mouth is watering, thank you!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited August 2015
    Options

since cooking is the topic and well we are in crazy town, Pa Dutch Funny Cake should be on the plan! Course Shoe Fly Pie is always on the list as well. Dang but the dutch do like to have funky names

maybe if it were not so hot here, baking would be good

• suladog
    edited August 2015
    Options

Proud,

oooh, I've always wanted to try a shoo fly pie!! and the PA Dutch sure do know their way around a dessert!!!

• Tomboy
    edited August 2015
    Options

I really do have this weird kind of bump on the back of my head, but I really don't want to tell the doctors about it again till I renew my drivers license this week, because I am sure that if there was even a suspicion of something awful,my one's nurse would contact the DMV, and have them yank my license. Because we just bought a new car, and I am really enjoying it! And well, I just don't want anything growing ANYWHERE NEAR MY HEAD! I love my brain! i have been worrying about this several times a day lately. my onc six weeks ago, told me to stop wearing earrings, but i didn't have the heart to tell him that i hardly ever do. When I told my Primary Care Doc, he felt it, and said my occipital nerve is inflamed. I am worrying about this incessantly, and also new thickening on my chest wall under my clavicle, and head aches. But I am sure they look at me as the girl who cried wolf so many times, the scoff at me, and anyway, i will tell them again after i get my dl renewed. With a new picture!

• suladog
    edited August 2015
    Options

Tomboy,

hoping that this is just a drive around the block in crazy town. I went to my MO once with a bump on the back of my head lower down by where my ears are. After an MRI I learned it's just the shape of my head and the lump was just nothing. That was 23 yrs ago, here's hoping that your bump's just a bump, but to rest assured make sure you get whatever test you may need to set your mind at ease.

• Jackbirdie
    edited August 2015
    Options

Sula- used to live in PA. Just mix up some brown sugar and corn syrup and you'll see what you've been missing. Ugh. Sounds to me with the healthy eating you do, one bite of shoo fly might cause a full intestinal revolt/assault

• Jackbirdie
    edited August 2015
    Options

Tomboy- hope it's nothing. It probably isn't anything. Take the next exit off the CT expressway in that nice new car of yours

• suladog
    edited August 2015
    Options

Jackbirdie,

Ha! Yeah. I like a sweet now and then but I can't take too much. A little bit goes a long way with me which is why I give many of the dishes I cook for magazine pieces away to non cooking or bachelor friends. I think if I make one of those I'll have to invite people over for a share!

• Tomboy
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks, Sula. I am hoping so too. It does seem to have changed from when i was hairless! I had been touching my head all the time. I had a mohawk when I was twenty, and I remember getting compliments on my pretty head shape. When I lost my hair? Not as pretty and smooth as I remember. But I will bring it up again soon. I really do need to get to a new treatment center. i had so many problems at mine, that I could really tell they began to dislike seeing me. For one, I got accused of asking too many questions. Yeah.

I don't think I want any shoo fly pie.

• Jackbirdie
    edited August 2015
    Options

when i first moved there it was definitely fun trying it all. But I really don't want to know what's in scrapple. Deeelish but no doubt nasty.

• proudtospin
    edited August 2015
    Options

yeap. PA dutch stuff can cause an overdose and you are right, mix up the brown sugar and molasses, you got the sweetest shoe fly!

not sure why but I will eat it if at a reunion or such but my teeth feel like they are rotting if I eat it now, used to each shoe fly for breakfast....best a tad stal~

• suladog
    edited August 2015
    Options

Too much of a good thing sends me to Big D town pronto...just down the road a click from Crazy Town. I spent a lot of time there during Taxol

• Tomboy
    edited August 2015
    Options

I can't believe how many of us have variations of the name Kathe! Thanks Katy. Actually, i am going to get in that car in a few minutes, and forget about everything but the pleasure of driving it! My spaceship. But, when I think of us, which is really a lot of the time, it puts a gentle smile on my face. (and then just now, my brain wondered what a vicious smile would look like). i am such a weirdo.

SlowDeep? Come out to play?

• suladog
    edited August 2015
    Options

Tom and SlowDeep, are you in LA proper??? Too bad I'm up here, I'd love to meet you guys.

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    edited August 2015
    Options

hubby hails from Central PA, heart of shoo-fly pie country, In fact, once when he was in Rome and had his passport stolen and had to go to the US Embassy for a replacement; that was one of the questions they used to verify if he was really who he said he was, as in 'there is a certain type of dessert that the area you are from is famous for: what is it?'. (this was years ago before computers, internet, and all the technology we have now. Hopefully they don't use desserts as a way to establish identify any more... :)). In any case, he *hates* shoo-fly pie and thinks it is much too sweet. Not sure you would like it, Sula, although since you do a lot of Indian cooking perhaps you are familiar with too-sweet desserts. (Just my opinion. My BIL hails from Gujarat and is a FABULOUS cook, and I love it all. Except the sweets.).

Tomboy, I hope this is just a quick detour through CT. Regardless, sounds like looking for a new treatment center that takes you seriously would be a good idea. Too many questions? Grrr...not ok.

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited August 2015
    Options

Gosh.!! So much has been happening here.. It warms my heart to come here and read what everyone is up to.!!

Tomboy .. Sorry you are worried 😔 it's awful the constant worry and anxiety.. The last time I went to my general doctor to show her a small rash on my chest she said " Ah.. I know what you're thinking, and no.. your wrong ! " So obviously she has me pegged.. But it does make me wonder if she thinks I'm crying wolf too !! Later in the day I remembered that the previous day I'd been to the markets and sprayed some cheap perfume on myself , and no doubt had a reaction to that.! I try to shower in a dim light now so can't notice "anything new " that's popped up , or spot a blob of melted chocolate on my chest like Slow did...HaHa :-)

Suladog.. Wow.. Now I've found that you are a good cook you are invited to my house any day.. I don't live far away.. honest :-)..HaHa.. I can just see that little Papillion, all dressed up to the nines, heading off to work..:-)

Slow.. I love your fur babies.!! So gorgeous.. and I love your lounge room as well.!! Your fire place looks amazing.! Yes, we do have lovely beaches in Australia.. and they are my greatest joy.. Going for a walk there helps me de-stress so much.. But alas , the stress comes straight back as soon as I leave. Maybe I need to pitch my tent in the sand, and just live there.!

PTS.. I'm going to have to go and google and see what a Course Shoe Fly Pie is. :-)

I have so enjoyed seeing photos of everyone's doggies. So gorgeous, and so comforting..

Take Care everyone !

Edited for terrible spelling!!

• proudtospin
    edited August 2015
    Options

Lucy, definitely google the shoe fly pie and also the funny cake! I think I learned to cook by making those two things.

dang but dutch cooking is simple and sweet! the PA Dutch are simple and kind really, my family was close to Amish and I have only in recent years learned to appreciate that fact and proud now to have that as my background. the TV show of Amish is so wrong

I do remember having to stay dressed up after church and not to go to my jeans!

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641
    edited August 2015
    Options

I have to weigh in (get it -weigh LOL) on the shoe fly pie - I love it! Anytime we go to Lancaster County PA , I have to have a piece... hubby doesn't care for it and that's probably a good thing since I'd never buy a whole pie...

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702
    edited August 2015
    Options

WOW.....Food, my favorite dish!!

What is all this talk about shoo-fly pie??? I never liked it as a kid, and never made it as an adult. When I was little, I used to think it was made out of flies. I think I have my grandmother's recipe somewhere in my cookbook. I have very fond memories of visiting them in PA. I remember they called lunch, dinner - and dinner was supper. That was very odd to me.

All of this talk of food is making me so hungry. Sula, your dessert looks scrumptious!! I guess you'll be making the dessert for our next get together!! haha

Lucy, I agree about the beach. I am an hour away now, and I miss it terribly. Hope the birthday party went well!

Tomboy, I think you should find another center where you're more comfortable. You've been unhappy with them for awhile now. Maybe someone else will take your head bump seriously. My place is the opposite. They want to scan and stick a needle in everything.

Sula, we were talking about a get together in September. I'm halfway between LA and San Diego.

PTS, I loved my grandma's cooking. She put cream and butter in everything. The weird things is, they all lived to be very old - late 80's and some into their 90's. My parents weren't as fortunate.

Katy, my dad used to eat scrapple. He ate the weirdest things.....pig's feet, pig knuckles....GROSS!! I wouldn't kiss him when he ate those things.

I am up at 5 am to pick my niece, and her boys from LAX tomorrow morning. Did I happen to mention how excited I am that my boys are coming for a visit??? hahahahahahahahahaha

Hope you all had a great, pain free weekend!!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited August 2015
    Options

I live in Pa. right outside of Philly.....my grandsons went to Franklin & Marshall College so we were in Pa Dutch/Amish counties every Saturday for their football games.

The Boardwalk in Wildwood is know for their funnel cake.......and some of the best restaurants....I own a home in Cape May Beach which is about to be sold...........so sad...........so I am very familiar with all the goodies you ladies are talking about.......and lets not forget Philly Cream Cheese, and yes we did originate Scrapple.........who cares what's in it......its delicious with a couple of Sunnyside eggs..........

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited August 2015
    Options

Forgot to mention The Soft Pretzel........the Hoagie, even though NY tries to claim it.....and nothing better then a Philly Cheese Steak.......wit or wit out...........haha......followed by an ice cold Italian Water Ice.........

• suladog
    edited August 2015
    Options

Tomboy,

Which center are you using in LA? I interviewed mos at a bunch of places. the guy I met with at USC Norris Cancer Center was totally negative on my prognosis, I had an appointment set at UCLA with the big guy there, but before that I went over to Cedars Sinai and really liked the MO I met who was very positive about what he could do for me. It's really important to find doctors that listen to you and that you can communicate with. If your guy doesn't take your bump seriously see someone who will.., better to look like a paranoid doofus as I did over my back of the head lump, but a happy relieved paranoid doofus when I got my MRI. You deserve to be listened to!

Ah Ducky, I spent most of the day at the Sonoma County Fairlast week trying to avoid the funnel cake. They're soooo good . Last time I had one was at the LA County fair.

Slow you guys are about 600 miles away from me!!

Ok, I can show you one dessert I did for a magazine shoot last year : buckwheat macarons with a dark chocolate ganache filling served with fresh organic raspberries

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702
    edited August 2015
    Options

JAN, I just saw on the news that the fire in NorCal has gotten worse. I hope you're ok up there. Thinking of you!!

Sula, oh man that looks good!! I don't think I would have any will power if I were you!!!

Ducky, I've found the food here on the west coast doesn't compare to the food back east. Especially the Chinese food. I can't wait to take a trip back east someday. I would eat my way across the US!!

• JAN69
    JAN69 Member Posts: 731
    edited August 2015
    Options

Slow, I'll join you as you eat across the nation. Please go slowly thru Pennsylvania, I like fat food the most. As for the fire, "my" fire, aka the Willow fire, is winding down. My evacuated friends will be allowed to return at 9 PM (weird time!). Most planes have been sent to other areas that are much worse off at the moment. Willow burned only 5,000 acres but the one at Clear Lake is something like triple that size. We still have 2,000 fire personnel in town. So very very sad to see our mountains burned to a crisp. And it's scarey too.

Sister-citizens of Crazy Town, wishing you all a good week with minimum scanxiety and lots of normal living. Jan

• suladog
    edited August 2015
    Options

Jan,

We were getting the smoke from the fire in Napa/Solano on Friday here in Sonoma. Glad things are winding down in Willows . It's really bad up in Clearlake and very dry and scarey everywhere both north and south. I'm glad you're safe hopefully they'll get a handle on Clearlake soon, I spent so many summers there as a kid