Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• wised
    wised Member Posts: 184
    edited November 2018

Enerva Your crochet is amazing! Those are the types of things that make me smile. Actually, you have a lot of patience. It's actually harder and more time consuming to make small pieces!

Calikelly, just wow! So you cast AND paint your pieces?

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2018

I sculpt each piece out of clay, have it fired and hand paint it, I don't glaze them because I like the details and color I can get with paint. Then a I do a pouring resin over each ,so they have a thick glossy coat. Might experiment with air dry clay, I moved not long ago and can't find a local spot to have them fired. I'm going to represent Breast Cancer Babes with colors other than pink! Pink is ok, but lots of other colors in our lives!

• wised
    edited November 2018

Thank you for other color options! Pink is not my fave... Your earliest is amazing. How long does each piece take start to finish?

• CaliKelly
    edited November 2018

Depends on how big,how detailed etc. That one In the latest pic probably 5-6 weeks, only working on it part time. I'm starting a new one this week, i 'll see how long it takes, never really took note. Great to be back to it, I've done nothing since diagnosis. Didn't have a studio set up, but just banished my husband exercise room to the basement and now I have the whole spare room!

• vampeyes
    vampeyes Member Posts: 523
    edited November 2018

CalliKelly - You are quite talented, amazing how you sculpt each piece yourself - no two alike! Beautiful work.

Enerva - those critters are absolutely adorable! I wish I could crochet, tried it and couldn't get the hang of it.

I love this thread and seeing what everyone creates!

xxx

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,833
    edited November 2018

My crochet and bobbin-lace collection. I like to crochet lace, but arthur interferes. Since there is so much in antique shops, collecting good examples is a better use of time.

I make teddy bears. Widows find a sentimental use for their husbands' shirts.

I belong to a quilting club. We donate the amateur quilts to charities, and sell the professional-looking ones for materials to fund the donations. I am clearly in the amateur class.

My mother bought this trunk when I was a baby and painted it pink and groaned whenever she saw it thereafter. Naturally I inherited it and had to restore it to something resembling its original appearance.

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,502
    edited November 2018

MCBaker, I like your lace collection and the teddy bears are cute.

• wised
    edited November 2018

MCbaker you are very multi talented! I used to make bobbin lace, but it felt like I worked for hours to create an inch! Love the bears and your quilts are way better than amateur!

• CaliKelly
    edited November 2018

I agree! Those quilts are very intricate! The teddy bears out of t shirts are inspired! Fantastic!

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,833
    edited November 2018

Here is the most recent. I call it "medallions"

• wised
    edited November 2018

Mcbakee, I call it "gorgeous"!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited November 2018

I love quilts because they're so cheery. I have some from my family and have made a few simple ones. I love making them for babies and wash everything in hot water and dry it in a hot dryer so that it's preshrunk and the parent can toss it in the wash without worrying.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited November 2018

Wrenn, that is one of my pet peeves-people who put quilts you give them up and won't use them because they think somehow they are "special." I want them cuddled and usedand loved and washed to eventual shreds. They are really pretty tough.

• wren44
    edited November 2018

I told the parents that the highest compliment to the quilter was to use it as much as possible. One of mine had the honor of being the 'lovey' for 2 babies.

• vampeyes
    edited November 2018

McBaker it's gorgeous, you did a wonderful job on it!

Wren what a great idea on the hot wash and dry! I will have to try the with my next project.

• CaliKelly
    edited November 2018

mcbaker, love those colors! My mom makes quilts from favorite old t shirts, so soft and cozy

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    edited November 2018

A different sort of art. I am a Face and Body Artist and this is a painting I did on myself. My actual scar is under my breast.image

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    edited November 2018

Hi, I am a Face and Body Artist and recently painted myself as part of a 'pink' theme. This isn't my actual scar, it is much lower 💗

• CaliKelly
    edited November 2018

May I just say-Awesome! We are a multi talented bunch, I love the variety , so great to see other's ideas! Just love it😃

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited November 2018

so many lovely things on display you talented

Ones. I particularly loved the hedgehogs, tree of life, lace collection.. (stunning!) And DWisely's gorgeous work. So impressive you lot!

Oh wow..

Just saw the lovely quilt and the body art ..great going :)

• wised
    edited November 2018

Kyliet, that's lovely. I'm looking for a tattoo artist to do something like that to commemorate this journey. 💓

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited November 2018

Wow that looks so real Kyliet! Shocked You are very good at your artistry!

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited November 2018

I’ve been knitting for years but this past year has given me more time to do so (coping, waiting, healing, etc!).

Just finished this herringbone stitched cowl.

• wren44
    edited November 2018

That is really lovely. I can't even imagine how difficult the stitch must be.

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited November 2018

mountain mama, that is gorgeous!

• wised
    edited November 2018

Mountain mama that cowl is gorgeous. I love that yarn, too.

• Amica
    Amica Member Posts: 237
    edited November 2018

Mountainmama, that's truly lovely--- those sophisticated subtle colors give it a beautiful depth :)

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited November 2018

Thanks y'all :) I think it's one of my favorite things I've knit. The yarn is hand dyed, something I hope to someday tackle trying on my own. DWiseley, looking back I saw you spin/weave/knit ... have you tried dying yarn?

• vampeyes
    edited November 2018

Beautiful Mountainmama - you have an eye for colour!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051
    edited November 2018

I was asked to participate in a bra decorating contest for BC month. Any design you may want. It was fun. Took my mind off of cancer. imageimageimage.............it was nice. 12 other woman took their time to submit one. It was very therapeutic for me. I would so do it again!! The overall event wasn't really my but it was the point that matters ! Such lovely work ladies. Wow I'm impressed. !