Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thinning Hair -

Options

Comments

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    Options

lacelace,

I wish to know that too having been on Letrozole 7 years plus now and my hair is very thin too. its awful.

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    Options

I've been on Tamoxifen since late April. I didn't experience many if any side effects, but in the last 6 weeks, I've been shedding a crazy amount of hair. To lose hair in October and November is not unusual for me but this is a shit-ton more. I'm wondering how to stop it, or if it will level out on its own.

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    Options

Paco, that was me.  I was fine with Tamoxifen until about a year in, then suddenly my scalp was itching and hair was coming out in clumps.  The only solution that worked for me is the irestore.  Have you read all these pages?  You really should.  Answers are in these pages. 

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198
    Options

I agree with Lisey, only my hair problems started with chemo, for over 2 years I waited for it to grow back the way it was before. Tried EVERYTHING! Anastrazole made it even thinner. Look back over all the recent posts. The low level light therapy laser helmet really works. You will see our before and after pictures. It's medically proven. I was desperate, half bald, now I get compliments on my hair!

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    Options

Thanks Lisey and CaliKelly.

I just called the Breast Center at Roswell and the nurse said to stop Tamoxifen for a month to see if anything improves. I am surprised this was the advice. I think I'll try that. I'm just sick of all the hair in my hairbrush. :(

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    Options

Annievac--I used a cold cap. It worked as far as I never went bald but 70% of my hair ended up falling out within the year a started chemo so I could disguise it really well. I can send you pics privately if needed.

BTW, I just received my iRestore. Thank you again CaliKelly for giving us ladies the opportunity to be in control of yet another side effect of this not so awesome disease.

• CaliKelly
    Options

Pamela, take some before pics! Only way you'll know if it's working, I forgot how bad my hair looked, till I compared before and after!

• Utopria
    Utopria Member Posts: 182
    Options

hello Ladies - can you give me some feedback from those who recently bought the iRestore helmet in November December timeframe..it’s been a few weeks now..how is your hair doing?

I’m seriously considering it..so would like to know.

• CaliKelly
    Options

Yes, I'd love to know too! You all know my experience with the iRestore, saved me! Any sprouts yet, ladies? Took me about 6 weeks for "sprouts"

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    Options

Have been using the helmet since Nov 20th, with one week off because we were out of town, but no signs of sprouts yet =(

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    Options

I've been using the helmet for about 5 weeks, and I'm not sure yet that there is new growth. There hasn't been significant loss, though. I think they recommend using it for 16 weeks. Still optimistic, and using it has at least eased my anxiety about my hair.

• lisey
    Options

The itching was the first thing to die down after using it... it took 3ish weeks for that to help.  Then I noticed I didn't have as much hair fall and my hair was thickening back to it's courser curlier self after about 3 months.  

So rather than look for new growth, look to see if the hair fall is stopping... that is the first step.   Then look to see if each hair is getting thicker.  And of course it should help with itching.

• CaliKelly
    Options

Hi ladies, hope everyone is doing well and growing some hair! If anyone is having good experiences with iRestore, the people there would love if you'd give them a review, with your opinion. Btw ,I gave a review and got free shampoo 😉Keep using it regularly, that's the key. Don't forget before pictures. And remember, if it's not working by 6 months, you can get your $$ back.i don't wasn't anyone to be mad at me for costing them money, if it doesn't work for you😄💗Kelly

• miranda2060
    Options

Kelly, I would never be mad at you for helping us! Smile

I'm still not certain about how it's working, but as I've said before, I'm optimistic. I have a "before" and will take an "after" one the recommended time period is up.

• Lumpie
    Lumpie Member Posts: 1,553
    Options

I've been reading through the older posts. I am bummed because my hair has just not come back following my second round of chemo. It's been a year now and mine looks very similar to yours in the before picture, CaliKelly. I take Biotin and recently purchased some Rogaine to see if that will help. I was searching to see if anyone reported success with Rogaine. I am not finding much encouraging about Rogaine. Your reports on the iRestore sound much better. I just hate the wigs and don't want to wear them indefinitely. CaliKelly, I am going to PM you to see about getting that discount code. Thanks much!

• CaliKelly
    Options

I got you, girl! You give the laser helmet a try, nothing lost, 6 mon. $$ back guarantee. Rogaine only grew me little baby hairs i could barely see. I sent your info to the fellow in charge of the b.c. discounts. I take all the supplements also, but the helmet the only thing that worked for me.

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

After +3 years on letrozole my hair wasn't super thin, especially from a across a room, but my part was getting wider and wider and there was definite thinning.

I finally decided to take the plunge and have been using the iRestore device since the 2nd week of December. The shedding has definitely decreased and just in the past few days I'm seeing sprouts; the part is much less visible due to those sprouts.

My before photos aren't all that useful so I plan to check with my stylist when I see him in a couple of weeks. He has a much better view than I do! Overall, I'm optimistic about substantial results and feel that when compared to the ongoing costs of something like Rogaine the helmet comes out way ahead (so to speak), particularly since Rogaine did absolutely nothing for my hair and is an ongoing expense. The iRestore is a one and done purchase.

I thought that the time involved would be an issue, particularly since I don't watch t.v. I've found that it's really pleasant, however, to have those dedicated 25 minutes every other day. I use it for quiet, personal activities such as drawing, writing notes, thinking. The last 5 minutes I use for meditating - the quiet click of the unit turning off is a gentle way to signal 'time's up.'

I hope this helps anyone who's thinking of taking the plunge. Many thanks to CaliKelly, as well as Lisey, for encouragement and cheerleading. ThumbsUp

• miranda2060
    Options

Great to hear about your results, Hopeful! I am not sure about mine yet (started in late November), but I agree with you about enjoying the time spent under the helmet. There is something pleasant about the process, and I like the feeling that I am doing something positive for my hair.

Had my hair trimmed for the first time in a LONG time yesterday. While my part is still wider than it once was -- even before my diagnosis and treatment, according to husband -- I'm not seeing shedding, so I think there is some effect. I've also been letting my gray grow in, and that might make the scalp seem more obvious, aside from letrozole, anesthesia and radiation. I will have a better idea about overall progress in coming months.

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

Good luck with it, Miranda. I suspect that the slowing of shedding is the first sign so it's great that you're seeing it! My hair grows uber fast so don't base your expectations on my results.

Enjoy your 'me' time!

• lisey
    Options

I agree... The slowing / stopping of the shedding / itching for me was the 1st sign.  honestly, if all it did was stop the damn itching and shedding, I'd be happy.. but then I noticed a few months later that the texture was thicker.. courser.  So back to more 'me'.

I honestly think the helmet is the easiest and cleanest solution out there - I HATED rogaine and mess/oils.  

Happy you guys are seeing what I was seeing.  By the way, I actually found a (laser light therapy wand insert) so to speak to help women with vaginal atrophy.  I don't have that issue, so I'll not be testing it, but you just stick it in like a tampon and watch a show.  Hell, you could do both at the same time.  I think LLLT does do something to the circulation and help with these issues.

• CaliKelly
    Options

Hey Lisey, Hopefull and anyone else having positive results, even just less fallout, the company would love to hear about it. Maybe you could go to the website to give a review. They said a lot of their growth is word of mouth and reviews. Esp if you have pictures! I want them to keep extending this discount for b.c. ladies. Just give an honest review. I think that will keep the discount for anyone else who wants to try it. I feel it's worth trying, because of the 6 months money back guarantee. Consistency is the key ,use it every other day! Best to all💗💗💗

• lexica
    lexica Member Posts: 138
    Options

Had a little bit of a delay because of the lack of pay check from the government shutdown...but just purchased mine! Excited to get started (and to stop being woken up by all the hair on my pillow at night...seriously). Thanks, CaliKelly for the help!

• CaliKelly
    Options

Dang gov't !I notice the politicians get their pay. I sure do hope it helps you! Worst thing to see in the morning is all that hair on your pillow! The good news is the first thing that most of our fellow b.c. warriors see is less fallout, yay, then the sprouts, so exciting to see those sprouts! Good luck !😃💗

• GillG
    GillG Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi folk, where can I purchase the iRestore? Thanks!

• lisey
    Options

Hi GillG,

Go to: https://www.irestorelaser.com/  

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

It's official. It's working! I just got my hair cut. My hair stylist said she noticed right away that I had more hair. I've been using the helmet for 3 1/2 months, and I didn't tell her until today after she noticed the difference. "Amazing", she said. She saw new hairs just over an inch long. She last saw me about 2 months ago.

In the past month I added a hair serum from The Ordinary (~$18 CAD). At night I put the serum on my crown and my eyebrows. I've seen a difference in my eyebrows after a few weeks. I can even use a little bit in the morning, and it makes my hair feel thicker with no greasiness.

My hair stylist was so impressed she asked me to write down what I used.

During the holidays, I stopped using the helmet for a week. By the end of the week I had increased hair loss, so I guess I have to keep my helmet forever.

Now, I tried their shampoo, but I then had more itchiness. It may be due to the SLS. I've been using SLS-free shampoo for years.

So, the helmet works!

CaliKelly and Lisey - Thank you! Hug

• CaliKelly
    Options

Oh YAY!I'm so excited! Awesome news😃And I am going to try that serum also. Could you write a little review, just like what you put here? I want the company to continue giving the discount to the b.c. ladies, and I know they love to have the positive reviews 😉💗. I intend to always use the helmet too, I'm afraid to stop😂

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

Done! I sent them an email with my updated review and asked them to continue offering the discount.

• CaliKelly
    Options

Perfect😃 I hope everyone starts seeing results soon, it really is so exciting to see those "sprouts"

• lisey
    Options

Serenity, that's great news!  I can testify that if you return the helmet thinking you are 'cured' it will start falling out again.  Been there, done that.  I'm now a irestore lifer, but honestly, what an easy solution.  I view it like a toothbrush, you just do it every other day for maintenance and voila...