Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thinning Hair -

Options

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

Yes, Lisey! It’s just part of my every-othernight nighttime routine.

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    Options

Serenity--what serum are you using for your brows? I use a few of The Ordinary's face serums. Have you noticed a difference?

How is everyone with their brows and lashes? I've used Latisse for years but it darkened my eyelids and the skin around my eyes looked darker than the rest of my skin. I just switched to Revitalash. I'm seeing a thin dark line above my lashes. I was using Castor Oil when I was trying to grow my lashes & brows after chemo but stopped after they came in. But now I feel the are thinning again. Anyone have anything they use that they swear by?

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    Options

I just started using Rimmel lash and brow serum. I think my brows are a little thicker now.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

I started using Lilash before my dx. My sister actually said <unsolicited!> that she could see a difference. I've been using it again--my lashes have come back (twice now) but I don't feel they're as long as they used to be.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Pamela - I'm using the multi-peptide serum for hair density on my crown and brows, and it's working!

I was away for over a week without the helmet. I used the hair serum twice a day. This time I did not notice increased hair loss. I'm back to using the helmet every other day and the serum once a day. The serum comes in a 60 ml glass bottle. For travel, I put some serum into an old eye drop bottle. It's much easier to use this way, so I'll keep using the little bottle.

So, helmet + serum works for scalp and brows. Now looking to improve lashes, but haven't picked anything.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    Options

I've been using the IRestore “helmet “ for over three months now and I think my hair is getting thicker. However, it feels really dry, more than it used to. I'm also having a very itchy scalp recently. Anyone else have the itching?

Faith (in the future).

• InnaB2018
    Options

I’ve been using the iRestore helmet for 3 months now, and am happy to say that I see a definite improvement! Thank you so much, CaliKelly for organizing the discount!

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198
    Options

I'm so happy you're seeing result! Yay! Don't know what to say for itching, never had that reaction from the helmet, and my hair feels softer after the session, not dry🤔Maybe try the hair peptide serum that Serenity is using. I ordered some myself, as my hair resurgence seems to have stalled. I could use a little more hair, even with the good results I've gotten from my helmet. Got to a certain point and now ive not noticed any NEW hairs in awhile. But at least I have full coverage, just not the thick hair I had B.B.C😉

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    Options

I just started using the multi-peptide serum at Serenity's recommendation. I think I have seen improvement from the iRestore helmet, but it's a little hard to tell in a photo, because I'm terrible at selfies. and I'm letting my gray grow in (and the silver hair sometimes accentuates the scalp). My part is still wider than it used to be, but it was that way before my diagnosis and treatment. The hair generally feels fuller and thicker, though,and I love using the helmet.

Other things I am doing: shampooing less frequently, using the blow dryer on a lower setting and taking hair supplements.

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    Options

Hi all, I do think it dries out your scalp more.. which for me is a blessing.  I had SEVERE itching when my scalp had oils on it from a Tamoxifen allergy... (I'm of the opinion I"m sweating some type of Tamoxifen related oil on my scalp).   The itching goes away when I faithfully use the irestore, and it probably dries it out…   Also, my hair is naturally course and dry, so it feels more 'me' when it's dry....  

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    Options

Thank you all for your replies. I’ll look for the hair peptide serum. Maybe that will help.

Faith

• miranda2060
    Options
  • SerenitySTAT
    Options

Faith - I had more itchiness before the helmet. The serum does help when I feel any itchy spots.

• Nana8990
    Nana8990 Member Posts: 4
    Options

okay so I just finished TC a week ago and I cold capped so I have about 1/2 my hair. It’s really thinned out...

what shampoo/conditioner do you guys use?

When did you start coloring your gray roots? Mine are driving me crazy!! And what product did you use or your hairdresser use?

• Chemokaze
    Chemokaze Member Posts: 177
    Options

Ok, I ordered the irestore helmet today.....going to give it a try. Will post before pictures soon. I think I might document photos with damp hair and dry hair. It definitely seems to look thinner when wet. I’ve been through chemo twice in my life and my hair grew back just fine. I used to have very thick hair - it was the Anastrozole and then Faslodex that has caused the thinning and shedding for me. I think I remember seeing hair loss as a SE of Verzenio as well.

• Chemokaze
    Options

....and thanks again CalliKelly for getting the group discount for us

• CaliKelly
    Options

Aww shucks , weren't nothing, just some persuasive phone calls, and emails. Good luck! Cant wait to hear about results!

• notbrokenjustbent
    notbrokenjustbent Member Posts: 326
    Options

I likely posted here at one point but just a quick update. I am 5 1/2 years from chemo and still on AIs and will be for a total of 7 years. My hair grew back from chemo very thin and with a different texture. My wavy thick hair grew back thin and straight and very dry and unhealthy. This to me was worst that losing my breast. Being on AIs just amplified the problem. I was on Arimidex and the hair loss was soooo extreme I was switched to Femara and fended somewhat better and I was using generic Rogaine which worked well but as soon as I discontinued all new growth fell out.

Long story short, I am happy to report that the hair loss from Femara has completely stopped and am absolutely thrilled that my curls and beachy waves have returned. As for me the hair just needed time to settle and my body adjust. I am fortunate that I had such a full head to begin with, but it bothers me that my body hair grew back very scant. I wanted to be just like my pre BC self and the fact that it never grew back was a constant reminder of the permanency of the effects of chemo. If it effects my hair follicles what other damage did it do? Having said that at least I rarely have to shave and I am so grateful to have my wavy, shiny hair back. It is thinner but still pretty. I understand you worry but some things resolved on their own? Hang in.

• miranda2060
    Options

NotBroken, your story is very encouraging.

I also switched from anastrazole to letrozole, and hair thinning seems to be stabilizing. I'm also using the iRestore helmet.

Just wanted to say that my body hair has also become very scant, but aside from the non-growth in the right armpit due to radiation, it seems to be age-related (I'm 57). I did not have chemo. I don't have to shave legs very often at all.

• notbrokenjustbent
    Options

Hey Miranda. I will just add one more thing. I keep up with a couple women here via email and they have completed their hormone treatment regime. They have reported new hair growth and have had to change hair styles to accommodate the new thickness on top. That is a double edge sword though. I can't mention this to them because they are so very pleased to be done with treatment and the hair growth but I can't help but wonder and worry that those hormones are again circulating. Both were PR/ER+. There are no easy answers. Perhaps the reason my hair is back is because I am not longer responding to treatment? At least I have no new growth so I have to hope I am good.

This is why I don't come to the boards these days. I get to thinking too much.

• CaliKelly
    Options

So happy for you that your beautiful hair came back! I agree in a way losing the hair was worse than the breast, which is more easily disguised and the reconstruction is pretty good. My hair is still a work in progress, but using my iRestore laser helmet is keeping it from shedding and the color and texture is nice. Still don't have as much as pre- treatments, and I plan to stay on the AI for as long as my Dr. recommends. Glad to hear happy hair stories!

• notbrokenjustbent
    Options

Yes, my hair was my persona and I am happy to mostly have it back! My sweet elderly mom was visiting. We were going to lunch and I fixed my hair. When I was done and ready to go out she said, "Aren't u gonna comb your hair"? YES!!! I haven't heard her say that since pre chemo!!! Crazy hair is back!

I certainly empathize anyone struggling with hair issues and I am glad doctors are now more informed because I was not warned about the potential for permanent issues and was poo pooed when I asked or even inquired about cold caps. Anyone with permanent alopecia I hope they sue. Not one for lawsuits but there was DEFINATELY a cover up and in my mind severely affects one's QOL.

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    Options

Notbroken..

Their hair is back! I've been waiting so long to hear this. I am nearly 7 years out on Letrozole and really thinning on the top. I was supposed to swicth to Tamoxifen but decided to stay on Letrozole. I see what you mean by the double edged sword tho. I've decided to stay on for 10 years (if I'm allowed) and the review as more data and stats will be in by then. I know what you mean the thinking is really exhausting... but oh to have more hair!!

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

Just a thought - wouldn't it be interesting to see results of simultaneously cold capping and using the iRestore? I wonder if shedding and thinning would be markedly reduced of if other benefits would be noted? What about starting out with iRestore immediately on completion of cold capping? I need to write to iRestore (with a solid review) and might just throw a few ideas at them...

• CaliKelly
    Options

Good idea!I know they were interested to hear that my persistent hair loss after chemo started growing with the iRestore. It makes sense that it would help, since the low level light therapy lasers are supposed to "wakeup"the hair follicles that went dormant from the chemo. I mean that's how I understand it. They should fund some studies! I'm going to email the owner, Craig Nabat. Hows it going for you Hopeful?

• InnaB2018
    Options

Hello, ladies! I lost my hair during chemo and it was in no particular hurry to grow back. I’ve been using iRestore helmet since Dec. 10. And just wanted to post my before and after pictures.

This is me on Nov. 26 almost 3 months Pfc

This is me two days ago

My hair before chemo was thin, straight and weak. I’d say it’s a miracle

• CaliKelly
    Options

Wow InnaB!!I'd say it's fantastic!I'm so happy 😃😃😃I'm always worrying that I reccomend the iRestore and maybe it won't work for someone just because it did for me. Now another success story 🙂 So glad for you, it just looks FAB❤ If you share those pics with the company they will send you some free stuff😉👍

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

Hi, Kelly - Nice to see you! I am really pleased with the whole iRestore experience, and would never have tried it without the encouragement from you and Lisey. Loads of thanks to both of you for your efforts, including obtaining the discount.

By about 6-8 weeks my sprouts were jumping out at my stylist and he confirmed my impression that things were happening. At this point (4 months in, I think) I no longer look at my part and despair. It's definitely filled in as has my entire head. Before I'd lift up my hair and see lots of scalp. Not any more. I think the quality of my hair is better, too. (I'll see him next week and look forward to hearing his professional assessment.)

Using the system has had a very positive impact on my state of mind as well as my appearance and makes it just that little bit easier to face another 5.5 years of letrozole. Now if only there were a similarly effective way to replace the collagen my skin's losing AND regain control of my metabolism!

• miranda2060
    Options

InnaB, that's incredible!!! Fantastic growth.

I think the iRestore has been helping me, both with hair and state of mind (as Hopeful8201 mentioned). I've been using it faithfully for about five months.

• Chemokaze
    Options

Wow Inna! Great results! I just sat through FIRST irestore session. Fingers crossed! My hair grew back just fine after chemo, but my time first on Anastrazole, and now Faslodex and Verzenio are the hair robbers now. Question: for any of you with some hair loss in the very front hairline, did the irestore help with that? I did not realize that irestore did not “study" that - per the instructions that came in the box.