Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thinning Hair -

Options

Comments

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    Options

HI Everyone, checking in.  I"m so GLAD to see you guys are seeing results.  Honestly, it fixed so many issues for me, and is so easy to use.  I almost want to start a thread called iRestore just to help people see this and not have to go through pages and pages of despair first.  If I do would you all add your photos and results?  

• lisey
    Options

Here is the link... if you could post your feelings on the iRestore over there, it may help others see what a miracle device this thing is.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/871124?page=1#idx_1

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    Options

Hi All,

I am so jealous of the full heads of hair!!

Today will be 5 months (minus 1 week that I was away) of faithful I Restore use. I never noticed actual 'sprouts', but I do think that my hair is a little better, and my part is a bit less awful. However, it is still not enough for me to be comfortable without my hat or top piece on :(

So my question for all of the I Restore users here is if you think it will help to continue or if I should return it before the 6 months are up?

If I can figure out how to post photos, I will!

Thanks for your thoughts!

• lisey
    Options

I returned mine only to find my hair falling out again in huge clumps and itching like crazy  a month later....   I had to order another one under my neighbors name I was so embarrassed.  That's just my experience.  Now that I'm using it the last 6 months, may hair is not falling out anymore or itching. 

• Chemokaze
    Chemokaze Member Posts: 177
    Options

Thanks lisey for starting the new irestore thread. I just copied my post from yesterday with my “before” pictures.

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    Options

I bought iRestore at Christmas but didn't start until early Feb. I noticed this week that my hairline is actually worsening (only I would know so not severe, but I've been watching this area for a long time). Did it get worse before better for others?

• anothernycgirl
    Options

I am debating about returning the helmet. I didnt have itching or anything before, and I dont think I see a change in my hairline or quality of my hair. :(

On another note, I received a VERY spooky e mail , supposedly from I Restore! It knows my name and that I have the helmet and claimed to know that I opened the e mail and went on to say scary things , with a picture of some masked man underneath. I closed it quickly and didnt finish reading it. What should I do? =/

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198
    Options

omg! I think you should forward that email to iRestore company! Also if it's not working, get your money back. Others have said the return is simple and money refunded in full. That email cannot be from the company, but forward it to them so they can look into it! That's horrible! I'm sad it didn't help you😕,but at least get your money back!

• CaliKelly
    Options

Pamela, my hair did not get worse but I think they say sometimes that is the case before it gets better, so I'd give it a little more time. If it doesn't start to improve, get your $$ back within 6 months!🤞🤞🤞🤞

• CaliKelly
    Options

Pamela, my hair did not get worse but I think they say sometimes that is the case before it gets better, so I'd give it a little more time. If it doesn't start to improve, get your $ back within 6 months!🤞🤞🤞🤞

• anothernycgirl
    Options

Thanks. I'll keep you updated.

• anothernycgirl
    Options

I Restore promptly responded saying "Our management team is currently investigating the matter with the spam emails that have been using our domain name. As long as you do not reply or click any links in the email it should be fine. "

Also, that I can use the helmet for the full 6 months and still have a few days to return it if I opt to.

I am still hoping that I see more/better hair, and want to keep it!!

They are a very nice company to do business with!

Thank you, again, Cali, for your help!

• CaliKelly
    Options

Dear NYC, good news, I'm still hoping you will get some sprouts soon!!! I have noticed the company is very responsive and helpful. Finger crossed!, Keep trying till the last day🤞🤞💕💕

• beloussvetlan
    beloussvetlan Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello!

My name is Svetlana. One of my friend recommended me write you about getting an irestore helmet. I had 2 courses of chemo, the last was Taxotere, Perjetta, Herceptine. Now I am on Anastrozol for 5 years. I feel like I’m losing hairs which is the last thing I want. They are getting thinner. I’d love to buy a helmet but it’s expensive. My friend told me you could help with a discount. Could you? My email is svetab7400@yahoo.com. Thank you

• lisey
    Options

HI Svetlana, did CaliKelly get ahold of you? Let me know if she hasn't and I'll try to track her down.

• springdaisy
    springdaisy Member Posts: 72
    Options

I am starting femara/letrozole this week. I hope I don’t lose my hair but if I do, have you found that it’s just thinning or are there actual spots of hair that are missing? Thanks

• anothernycgirl
    Options

Springdaisy, - mine thinned while on femara, - no actual bald spots. It was very gradual. You may be just fine, and not even thin out!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

Just chiming in because this topic has been on my mind. I've been on anastrozole for almost 2.5 years now and hadn't really noticed any hair impacts but I think now it is thinner. However, I also recently stopped taking Biotin, which I'd taken for years. I doubt there's any direct correlation but I am going back on the Biotin.

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 755
    Options

I have this side affect and funny enough, it did not start until I was well into the 2nd year of taking anastrozole. I'd like to think it's leveling off, or at least I tell myself that. Makes it easier to take. I tried the Biotin supplement and didn't work (except my for nails), I am using Biotin in my shampoo and conditioner. Also try to keep it from getting to long, as fresher hair cuts make it look fuller. It I let my hair go (thanks to covid), it was horrid how long and strung out old mess of a hag I looked like. I just got a cut a few weeks ago, so that's my plan, try and keep going every 8-10 weeks.

• meow0369
    meow0369 Member Posts: 125
    Options

Hi ladies, I wanted to know if anyone has tried Bioidentical hormones to help with hair loss, I am triple negative and my onc has left it up to me to decide. A second opinion said it's recommended to do so if menopausal symptoms were difficult Needless to say I have been debating this since I had a hysterotomy three years ago. Now that my hair has become extremely thin I'm researching my options. I am looking into hair treatment devices for regrowth. Any suggestions would be great!

• VmTexas
    VmTexas Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am 72 and had my left breast lumpdectomy and two lymph nodes under my arm removed on December 27, 2018. I went thru 4 chemo treatments and 32 radiation treatments. Lost all my hair 2 weeks after the 2nd chemo. I went on tamoxifen just before starting radiation. My hair started growing back slowly after radiation and actually felt thicker than before. I was so happy. Fatigue was my only side effect on tamoxifen but it kept getting worse. So my oncologist put me on Anastrozole December 2019. She said it was better for post menopausal women to be on an AI. AIs cause your bones to thin and I already had osteoporosis. So I was really concerned. To make my bones stronger she started me on an infusion of Zometa which is done twice a year. Zometa had side effects too including thinning hair. I noticed after several months on the AI and 2 infusions, my hair felt a lot thinner and when I brushed it lots of hair was in my brush. Lost hair when I washed it in the shower. Just putting my fingers thru my hair I lost more hairs. I called my doctor and she suggested taking biotin and trying Nioxin. I tried the biotin. My nails did great but it didn’t affect my hair.

I’m hairdresser told me about It Works! Hair Skin and Nails supplement has lots of good natural ingredients plus biotin. I ordered it on the “It Works!” website. I do think it has helped.

I was on a crusade to save my hair. I decided to change my shampoo to Moroccan Oil shampoo along with their root lifter and their hair thickener. I use just a little of the thickener and the root lifter on the top area. I use Moroccan oil dry shampoo so I only wash my hair twice a week now. I also invested in a 100% pure wild boar soft bristle hair brush from Germany bought thru Amazon and a Blissy pillow case. The brush is so gentle on my fragile hair. It has now been almost 3 months with my new routine and I can actually see the new little hair growth on my head, my part is filling in. The shedding has slowed down a whole lot. It’s going to take a while to get thicker but in the meantime the hair products are helping to give me volume that actually lasts 2-3 days.

My doctor thinks my body has adjusted to the estrogen blocker meds and so hair loss has stabilized. I still deal with side effects of bone pain and fatigue. The fatigue is the worst.

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

I want to post my experience with the Hairmax laser band so far.

I went bald from taxol in 2017-18. I stopped chemo and went on Anastrozole in mid 2018 and continued on Herceptin and Perjeta.

My hair did begin growing back but the crown and front hairline grew very slowly and came in thin, and my hairline seemed further back than I remembered. My hair was also limp, no curl and very fly away. .I had it cut very short in early 2020 to try to give it a chance to even out and maybe come in thicker.

Well it grew quite a bit but still very thin and flyaway. August 2021 I started using the laser band. I got it for about 400 from the Hairmax company itself on EBay. Supposedly a “refurbished “ unit , it looked brand new to me. Could be they refurbish the returned units...not sure, but this one was pristine and looked new.

So, they say to give it four to six months but I feel like I'm seeing results already, I see a lot of new hair “baby hair" at the hairline, and the rest of my head has a lot more body. Not sure it's actually thicker or more plentiful beyond those baby hairs, but it's definitely less flyaway and looks more voluminous whether or not it actually is. And, easier to manage.

They say something about “waking up" the hair follicles in their ad and my hair does look a little more awake!

I bought their shampoo, conditioner and leave-in in travel size because ai really think it's too pricey. I used the conditioner and the leave-in only once and, they did leave my hair feeling nice and not too heavy and “overconditioned".

I don't take any extra B vitamins or any “hair supplements “ just doing the laser band and I do feel like I'm getting results.

• cm2020
    cm2020 Member Posts: 530
    Options

Olma61... It is awesome that you are already getting results!! I just bought the iRestore laser helmet and have been using it for just over a week. Like you, my hairline is receding and the hair around my face is thinning quite a bit. My hair texture is very different too and it sounds like the changes you have seen in your hair are what I am experiencing. Mine is fly away, frizzy, just overall a hot mess when it used to be super curly and manageable. I hope that I will see results soon with the laser I am using too.

• olma61
    Options

Wish you luck with the iRestore!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

I haven't been using my iRestore helmet in at least a year. Not because it wasn't working, but I just got tired of doing it. My crown and hairline did thin.

I've stumbled on to something else that's been working. Earlier this year I had a severe rash on my face that prompted a break in my meds. Along with prescription ointments I used aloe gel from the plant on my face. I barely had eyelashes before, but now they're back. My eyebrows are full, and I seriously need to find my tweezers. My hairline is filling in. It couldn't be the med break because my crown didn't change. So I've started applying an aloe solution on my crown. It helps with the itchiness, and my hair feels better. I've been back on my meds for a couple of months and haven't noticed more hair loss.

• cm2020
    cm2020 Member Posts: 530
    Options

SerenitySTAT....Do you have the specific info on the aloe gel you are using? If you are getting it directly from an aloe plant then I am out of luck! I am throwing any and everything at this hair loss problem.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

I use the plants. You can buy them from the grocery store. I don't know if it would work with the gel, but I did use store-bought aloe gel on my scalp when bald from chemo. Make sure the gel doesn't contain alcohol. If using the plant, let the yellow latex drain out and rinse the leaf.

• olma61
    Options

I'm sure gel direct from the plant is fresher / more potent but as for pure aloe gel that is packaged, I've been using “Fruit of the Earth Pure Aloe Gel" for moisturizer, sun burns, etc ever since I was a teen. It is low priced, huge bottle, and available at chain drugstores as well as some health food stores. I see it on Vitacost.com right now.

Had no idea aloe could help with hair growth, but worth a try. If it gives me back some length in my lashes, I will be forever grateful to Serenity for this tip! I have Fruit of the Earth in my cabinet and I'll try using it first.

ps I tried castor oil on my brows lashes and hair line. Got no results with that, plus bad smel. I like coconut oil for conditioning and protecting but I have to thoroughly wash it after or else my hair gets even more stringy. Doesn’t promote growth but helps protect and prevent breakage.

• olma61
    Options

now that I look at fruit of the earth again, I see it has a lot of preservatives added. That must be new...and it also says avoid contact with eyes.

Here’s a food grade aloe gel on Vitacost with better ingredients. But citric acid seems like a badthing for the eyes too.

.https://www.vitacost.com/real-aloe-inc-aloe-vera-gel

Maybe finding the leaves in the produce aisle is the best thing

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

The leaves that are sold in the produce aisle are ok, but I worry about keeping it fresh once at home.

I cut a small piece from a leaf on my plant. Drain and rinse it. Then I scoop out the gel and apply to my face. I have several plants now.

I hope it works for you. I was surprised when I noticed all the new growth in my lashes and eyebrows. Hope my aloe spray works on my scalp.