Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited October 2021

ScotBird! I've missed you! This is a great article. I was guilty of some things she mentioned especially related to work. At the beginning of the pandemic my older daughter got her first adult job and worked from home because of the lockdown. I asked her to set boundaries so that she wasn't in work mode all the time. It's the quickest way to burnout.

"You deserve joy. Just as you are. You always have. And you always will." 👍

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited October 2021

Had the privilege of hearing her sing this when she opened for Train at The Tower theater in Upper Darby, PA nearly 14 years ago. She has a lovely range and is quite creative musicwise. Enjoy.

• betrayal
    edited October 2021

Just finished reading a biography of her and I still adore her. Wish I could have seen her live. Kris Kristofferson wrote this and he loved her interpretation.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited October 2021

Betrayal - thanks for Janis... I'd never heard Brandi Carlisle and was glad to learn about her. You're right - the range is amazing.

• betrayal
    edited October 2021

MinusTwo: She has other recordings on youtube and her latest song is outstanding. I took my DD to that concert and she has been an avid follower ever since. Her band is a set of twin brothers who have been with her since high school and one is married to her younger sister making them truly family.

• minustwo
    edited October 2021

Well - I posted Ben E King's Stand By Me this morning - but it didn't take. Actually I ran across that in the rabbit hole after I woke thinking of this song: Judy Collins & Leonard Cohen's version:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

Great songs!

My dorm roommate and I could listen to only R.E.M. because they were the only music we both liked. She hated Elvis Costello. She's not here. 😁

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

More Elvis Costello and source of the name for Tragically Hip.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

❤️❤️❤️

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited October 2021

Weird slice of joy, but, I’m excited my PT and SLP appointments are now showing up in mychart! Only one more provider to go so I can see all my medical appointments I’m one place

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited October 2021

Got some kudos at work this week & finishing up on a lovely patio in the remains of the day

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

NotAsCalm - That's not weird. I wish more of my appointments were listed in one spot.

Jazzy - Yay! Great way to end the day.

I'm cold! Younger daughter is cuddling with me. ❤️

• minustwo
    edited October 2021

How about some Cat Stevens?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

👍👍👍

I'm not even a morning person. 😴

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

Visiting my daughter. She's surrounded by cute shops and restaurants.

Will try this later.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

It's delicious 😋

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2021

Fall bouquet from Whole Foods

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

Gorgeous! I love your pumpkin. 👍

Gloomy, rainy day. But I just finished my first 36-hr fast since my rash event. What to eat...🤔

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

What a good read. I now want to find a local flour mill to make better bread.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/04/13/baki...

• minustwo
    edited October 2021

Oh yes Serenity. Thanks for posting this great article.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

It inspired me to make some bread, but my sourdough starter is sluggish right now. I did make garlic parmesan sourdough crackers. All gone now.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

Oh, their voices are incredible.

• minustwo
    edited October 2021

Oh WOW!!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

Minus - 👍

This is brilliant.

• minustwo
    edited October 2021

LOL Serenity!!

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2021

A pumpkin spice cream cheese muffin from Starbucks

• minustwo
    edited October 2021

Well we lost power again tonight. So since I had eaten a HUGE vegetarian meal at the Hare Krishna temple at noon - and I didn't want to open the fridge to reduce the captured cool, I had two shot glasses of my favorite after dinner liquor - Amarula. As always, thanks to my friend who used to live in Sequim, WA and now lives in Santa Fe for introducing me to this delightful libation.

THE AFRICAN LEGEND

Storytelling has always been central to African life. The Marula tree, as the source of several fascinating legends, has become a sacred and intricate part of ancient African culture. Locals have revered these trees for centuries and refer to them fondly by various names.

Because elephants travel for miles to feast on the wild fruit, locals call it 'The Elephant Tree'. African folklore also refers to it as 'The Marriage Tree'. Apart from making a beautifully natural wedding canopy, it's also said to have aphrodisiac properties and features in tribal fertility rites. The ripening of the Marula fruit in summer coincides with great celebrations in many parts of Southern Africa. In Swaziland, for example, the annual Marula Festival is celebrated at the king's royal residence, sustaining the belief that the Marula fruit is fit for kings and queens.

Like the elephants, the Marula trees are protected under South African law. They are a key part of African heritage and may not be farmed for commerce. The fruit however is sold in a variety of natural products, Amarula of course being one of them.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

Jazzy - Yummy! I had Pastel de nata, a Portuguese egg custard, but forgot to take a picture. 😁

Minus - Love the story behind the drink. When I was a student, the Hare Krishna would provide food once a week only asking for donations. They always had banana juice that I've never had since then. Hope your power outage doesn't last long.

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2021

There were people dressed up in costumes today, lots of candy around, and cupcakes. We brought cupcakes to one of our clinics

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2021

Jazzy - Cupcakes! 👍

Aaron Neville has such a great voice. Incredibly talented.