Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited November 2021

Thanks Serenity for your good wishes. Just out of the hospital on Sat. Doing OK.

There's a crazy little Cardinal in my my backyard hopping in front of the mirror on my plant stand looking at himself. Very cute. Wish I could take a photo, but he's too quick. Made me smile though.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited November 2021

Anybody besides me like Smokey? Here's a link with Smokey at age 81 talking why he wrote several of his best songs. You can watch the groups/people he wrote them for singing.

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/music/info-2021...

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited November 2021
    I saw Smokey in concert here in 2015. He puts on a great show ❤️
  • minustwo
    edited November 2021

I've seen him several times. At one performance in the 1990s we went back stage where there was a 'reception line'. He actually kissed my cheek. I didn't wash my face for a week!!!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited November 2021

Minus - Thanks! I only got a sore injection area from the flu shot. Whew! I did get the shot on my last day of my Ibrance cycle. Not sure if it contributed to the extra fatigue.

oldladyblue - Sorry that you were in the hospital. Hope the rest of your treatment goes more smoothly.

On Smokey - Love him! But have never seen him in person.

I've heard this cover of Hurt by Johnny Cash before, but the video is incredible. Best cover of all covers!

• minustwo
    edited November 2021

OMG - I had never hear this. Not by Johnny Cash or Nine Inch Nails. Really powerful song.

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

Slice of joy - I am on vacation 😎

• oldladyblue
    edited November 2021

Oh vacation Jazzygirl, that sounds so nice! What are your plans? Thanks for the Johnny Cash, SerenitySTAT, his songs have always touched me. And what a wonderful link to explore Smokey's song history, MinusTwo.

This thread is a blessing, I am going to go backwards and go through it all a bit at a time, it's good for my emotional state and my soul.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2021

Minus - 😎

Jazzy - Enjoy your vacation!

oldladyblue - I started this thread to recover. Hope it helps you as it did for me.

The moon was so bright last night. The sun is out now. But what’s going on with the birds? I keep hearing them run into my windows.

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

Hi friends- nothing big going on, just taking a week to be home, do a few day trips, and have procedure to get done this week too. I decided to do that while I have the space of a week off and don't have the pressure to get right back to work. Yesterday I went to Santa Fe for the day and had a fun day doing some Xmas shopping (one for them, two for me, lol).

Having space is my slice of joy right now!

• minustwo
    edited November 2021

Jazzy - so glad you are having a week off. Hope the procedure is easy & no uncomfortable recovery period.

One of my best friends moved back to Santa Fe this year - so I hope to make a NM trip next year. Another good friend is back in NM (Bernallilo) from the west coast, but his wife just died so I'm not sure how long he'll stay put.

I was raised in CA so joy for me is Sees Candy. There are no stores in Houston anymore, but they opened a "pop up" shop for the holidays down by the university. Um, um, um.... I didn't even pretend to buy for anyone else - all for me. One night I ate 1/2 a box of peanut brittle. Another I dipped into my bag of Toffettes (bite sized English toffee w/almonds). Also bought a small bag of my most favorite chocolates - Butterscotch Squares. In fact I had one this morning for breakfast.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2021

Jazzy - I love time alone. Hope your procedure is quick and boring.

Minus - I went into Sees Candy when I was in SF a few years ago. Hardly any candy made it home. 😀

I picked my newest orchid because I wanted something fragrant. It delivers! The chocolate scent fills the room during the day. No calories!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2021

ThumbsUp

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

Such an interesting combo ❤️

• oldladyblue
    edited November 2021

Made me smile to watch them sing. Reminds me of all of the little tiny shows I saw in bars in times past. Miss those days. Now I'm old and go to bed too early.... so it's great to see clips like this.

• minustwo
    edited November 2021

olBLUE - I'll raise a glass to all those tiny shows in bars when we were "younger". I sure heard some great, unknown music. Edited to say - since it's not even noon here yet, I guess I'll hold my toast for a little later. Another thing as we age - a 'brunch' drink forces me to take a nap.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2021

I loved seeing all those little shows.

We went to a midnight one-act play a few years ago with a friend. She fell asleep. We were in the front row of 3 rows. I had to nudge her awake. The actor was only a few feet away.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2021

Got me thinking of some shows I’ve seen. One of the best will always be the one by bluesman AC Reed. It was a small venue. Not many showed because of the torrential rains. I remember being soaked. But the band played on. We had seats, but we pushed them aside to dance. Because of the small turnout, they decided to refund our money.

• minustwo
    edited November 2021

The grown daughter of one of my dear, long time friends died 11/3. No way to comfort someone who's child dies first... This song keeps running in my head.

• minustwo
    edited November 2021

Oh yes Serenity - AC Reed!!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2021

Minus - I'm so sorry for your friend. This is a song I think of.

• minustwo
    edited November 2021

Thank you for sharing that Serenity.

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

Minus two, that is very hard for your friend. Sending much love Heart

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

Found this song recently. I am not a fan of country western, which is where Kelly mostly these days, but I like her and find her to be very authentic. This is from some of her earlier music.

Happy Thanksgiving and thankful for all of you and this place to share nice things!

• minustwo
    edited November 2021

Made me smile Jazzy. I needed that today.

BTW - How's your sister doing?

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

Minus Two - she's doing okay. In Vegas with friends this week celebrating the holiday. Thanks for asking.

I have these great new neighbors who wanted to bring me a plate as they knew I would be resting today after my procedure yesterday. What a feast. So kind of them and I so grateful

• oldladyblue
    edited November 2021

Yes, Minus2 I'll raise the glass to good memories and the days I could drink without going to sleep afterwards. I feel for your friend, the heartache of losing her daughter, oh, it's not fair that her daughter died before her. I still remember my grandma saying that to me when my mom passed, and then my aunt.

Nice meal Jazzygirl, how kind of your neighbors. Glad your procedure went well.

Serenity, yes, those little shows, how great they were for my soul. I'd probably be like your friend though, falling asleep in the front row...

My tenant, a chef and a waiter at a fine restaurant, made Thanksgiving dinner for 3 of his friends and included my family tonight. It was soooooo delicious. We sat outside in the nice Florida weather. Very nice night.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2021

Jazzy - In general I'm not a fan of country music, but there are numerous country artists I love. She's got a great voice. I'm glad your procedure went well and that you've had a wonderful feast. How was the pie? Good to hear your sister is having fun.

oldladyblue - My friend is an Energizer bunny during the day! I'm a night owl. She wouldn't want to miss the show. You have a very nice tenant/chef to share a holiday dinner with you!

Minus - I hope your day improved. Heart

It was a regular day here. I did enjoy the dog show. Hope those celebrating Thanksgiving had a good one. I know it must have been hard for some.

How about some Lyle Lovett?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2021

Snow! Big, fat flakes. Got my rosemary inside. Last winter was the first time I’ve managed to keep a rosemary plant alive. Will try again this winter. Frequent misting is the secret that eluded me all these years. Smells so good. Orchid still scenting the air like a chocolate shop.

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

Beautiful afternoon in Albuquerque Old Town