Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited September 2021

I stayed up late Thursday night prepping everything in the fridge that had shells or rinds or innards that needed to go out for the Friday morning trash pick up. So today I have a wealth of things in the fridge to choose from. I started with hard boiled eggs (tomorrow they'll be deviled eggs), fresh guacamole w/campari tomatoes and potato saladw/dill weed. Tomorrow I'll have leftover pizza that I I made w/Naan bread, Oh - and I bought a 'personal' watermelon that's cut into chunks and in a big bowl in the fridge. Watermelon was one of the few things that tasted good all during chemo - and I still love it, contrary to popular advice.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited September 2021

All sounds yummy! I love watermelon. I still eat the foods I ate during chemo. Jello, eggs, pho, and milkshakes. Not all at once.

My older daughter decided to buy Jif peanut butter at her apartment. She quickly learned why we don't buy it. Too sugary. So she made cookies. I may get some on Sunday if any remain.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

"On your left!"

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Made these yesterday. So much better than store bought.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited September 2021

Oooo Serenity, those look good and I don't even know what they are! Potato rolls?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Hamburger buns! Brioche like. They can be shaped as hot dog buns. Sometimes I don't have time to wait for sourdough. These were done in about 3 hours, but not much hands-on time. My husband didn't even realize I was making them. I like this recipe because I prefer to measure by weight.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Voted early. Took us less than an hour from home and back. Should be this easy for everyone.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited September 2021

Slice of joy new jewelry from the state fair

• minustwo
    edited September 2021

Neat Jazzy.

And Serenity - the rolls look delicious. I'd rather eat bread (and butter) than anything else in the entire world - so I rarely bake it of buy it. Otherwise I'd be 300 lbs.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Jazzy - They're so pretty!

Minus - Yes, I love bread and butter, too! 😋 Store-bought bread, pasta, and cereal are off the menu at home. We either make it from scratch or buy from a patisserie. That works to limit the volume.

Watching the first episode of Dr. Death. Yipes! Glad I never tried surgery. 😮

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Leftovers. 😋

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

I used to describe my younger daughter as "walking talking joy". Then she became a teenager and embraced the surliness. After high school she was less surly. She's at university now. Last night she came home and just noted how much she likes the walk home from public transit. She missed it during lockdown. The joy runs deep with her.

• minustwo
    edited September 2021

My brother emailed me to get a Costco pumpkin pie because they are even better than our Mother made. I live alone. What in the world would I do with a 15-20" pie?? Yes, they're good, but I'd just end up throwing most of it away. He said his wife eats two small pieces and he eats the rest himself. He's really skinny but - Oh my!!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

I love pumpkin pie. My older daughter makes it.

In the winter I make lemon curd. Instead of canning I put it in jars to freeze. Often I'm too lazy to make anything with it, so I take a spoonful as a snack.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Younger daughter made ricotta again. It's delicious! My husband uses the leftover whey in his smoothies. 👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Beautiful shot! I once sailed in this area. Still have the T-shirt.

• minustwo
    edited September 2021

Love the Bahama's photo. Andros Island is where I did my first open water dive. I asked the guy driving the little boat how deep the water was because I wasn't comfortable going down more than 30 ft. He said - "oh mon - neva deepa than 30 ft under tat cloud". It was so absolutely gin clear that I didn't even think about that logic. I hopped over the side and headed for the bottom. Amazing Like nothing else I've ever seen in my life - before or after. My DH had the gauges. He was running out of air and motioned me to go up. Turns out we were at 60+ feet & he had to slow me down on the ascent to prevent the bends.

Slice of joy for the day - the biopsy the derm doc did last week is NOT a basal cell cancer, only another AK pre cancerous lesion. Thank heavens because it's immediately adjacent to my top lip & MOHS surgery would not have had any pretty options.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Great news on the biopsy!

I have never been SCUBA diving. I sailed around the Bahamas with a friend and her parents for 6 weeks. We were free diving almost every day (had to catch food). By the end of the trip my lungs were strong enough to go about 20 ft deep. That whole time I caught only one fish with a spear gun. It was a hogfish.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

🤣

• minustwo
    edited September 2021

Boo Hiss!!!

Here's a worse one. I had an ear worm yesterday for the song "We Are Siamese If You Please". I'm not sure where it came from and I don't think I ever even saw "Lady & the Tramp". So I looked up the song thinking I might post here and found the song has been removed from the movie & other productions because of racist connotations.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

I've seen Lady and the Tramp. I never liked that song, but I didn't know it was removed. Think I still have an old DVD with the song. Maybe that's why I don't care for cats? 🤔 Or I'm just allergic to them.

Here's a good song:

• minustwo
    edited September 2021

Good way to start the morning. Thanks.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Had my MO appointment this morning. The first phlebotomist tried once before giving up. Whew! I saw one that I liked was free. She got it on the first try.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Only bots should write obits. 🤣🤣🤣

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited September 2021

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Good timing!

Beautiful day today.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2021

Hospital wall art.

• minustwo
    edited September 2021

Yup - beautiful day. I was able to get in a short walk before it hit 90 degrees - only 4 miles, but better than nothing. It was really fun for me to watch Earth, WInd & Fire- Thanks. OF course I know all their music, but I don't watch TV and have never been to one of their concerts - so I missed the full experience

I sure wish I felt safe going to concerts (I don't yet) because the Temptations are coming to Galveston in December. It's a bit more than an hour away, but for them I'd book a room and make a night of it. Even though tickets start at $150 which I would never consider - but it's the Temptations - and I haven't seen them in 20 years. Yup - I'm officially old. Sad to note that Otis Williams is the only living original member. I dare you to sit still through this 1972 recording.

And earlier - 1965

• minustwo
    edited September 2021

Oh oh - I'm off down the rabbit hole & not addressing my day. I'm so grateful that my son insisted on a spectacular speaker system for my desk top computer. Shall I resist The Animals - House of the Rising Sun? What about Procol Harum and A Whiter Shade of Pale? Rabbits for today.

• minustwo
    edited September 2021

Oh oh oh - can't get away. How about Meatloaf? Then I promise I'll quit.