Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited December 2021

Norah Jones has some new holiday music

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited December 2021

Cute Jazzy - I so like her voice.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited December 2021

She does have a great voice. Nice!

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

I may have posted this before, but keeps running through my head & keeping me awake. Leonard Cohen & Judy Collins...

Interesting to compare that with the Roberta Flack version - but I prefer her singing "The FIrst TIme Ever I Saw Your Face."

But oh my - she supposedly first learned of the song from the Joe & Eddie version on their 1963 album Coast to Coast. I have that vinyl. I just need to get a turn table hooked up again.

Edited to say - it's REALLY comforting that I do still have that vinyl record. When I did my major purge & took most of my records to the local 2nd hand record store, it was so hard to decide what to keep. Every single one was a certain place in time or certain people or memories of certain foods. I went from four overstuffed shelves to one. Thankfully I kept Joe & Eddie.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

These are great performances! Glad you kept the vinyl. ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

I had an appointment with my MO this morning. Blood draw was well done. I don't think the phlebotomist was used to being thanked so much. My next appointment was set by the clerk team leader. I wasn't used to anyone saying to call if I need to change an appointment. I told her that I've never been able to change it except too far into the future. She gave me her email address after I promised to keep it secret. She said she has access to the all calendars.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

Serenity - that is some good customer service

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

There's some issue with masking, but overall I like my team. It's weird that my rash brought us closer together. I'll take it!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Watched a show that had a cover of River. It paled in comparison to the original.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

wrenn - ThumbsUp

I finished a 36+ hour fast with a bit of aloe arborescens. It lasted longer than 36 hours because my aloe plant is in the room where my husband was on a video call. I've been out of the habit of consuming any aloe since early this year. My collection of 19 aloe vera pups is down to 3. I have some young aloe vera chinensis growing from the plant my friend gave me to help with my rash. My aloe use has been external due to my rash. Then I learned that it was helping my eyebrows and eyelashes grow. Bonus! Of course I'm now trying it on my scalp.

I know it's weird, but aloe arborescens is considered a vegetable in Japan. I've read of cases where aloe consumption was causing illness, but they were consuming a lot of aloe powder daily. Today is my first aloe in months.

Time for lunch! My husband is making it. He’s a much better cook than me.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Ah - Joni Mitchell has such a clear, lovely voice.

And Wrenn - I didn't even know Leonard Cohen had a son. Thanks for the link.

Sadly a large majority of my Aloe plants died in our "great freeze" last February. Many of my plants were 18-24" in diameter and 12-18" tall. A number have come back, but they truly are just pups.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Ah - Joni Mitchell has such a clear, lovely voice.

And Wrenn - I didn't even know Leonard Cohen had a son. Thanks for the link.

Sadly a large majority of my Aloe plants died in our "great freeze" last February. Many of my plants were 18-24" in diameter and 12-18" tall. A number have come back, but they truly are just pups.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Minus - I remember your freeze last year. We can grow aloes in containers only. It’s too cold for them here most of the year. I have one aloe vera that has 18” leaves. It’s about 3 years old. The smallest pups are my neighbour’s. I offered her one of mine, but she wanted to save them since they were from her mom’s plant. Apparently, her brother’s pups are doing well. I understand sibling rivalry, so they’re in my plant ICU. :)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Minus - If you have an area for a big aloe spread you could plant aloe arborescens. They’re more cold hardy than aloe vera. They have beautiful red blooms.

Young Carole King and James Taylor. ThumbsUp

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

This is fun. I love Earth Wind and Fire, seen them quite a few times. They are here next April but at an outside venue and not able to muster the desire to buy a ticket yet (they just went on sale). It can be very cold here in April, but think there is time....

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Oh my goodness, talk about YOUNG!!! Not sure i would have recognized Carole King, but once she started singing - of course. And James Taylor I would have known anywhere.

Earth, WInd & FIre would be fun but I agree about the possible cold temperatures. One thing - no one would be sitting quietly in their seats!!! Can't help but dance.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Buy the ticket! Dress in layers and bring a thermos of hot drinks. I’ve attended a protest march here in January. When I know I’ll be outside in the cold for some time I wear bike shorts under my pants. As long as my feet are dry, I’m ok.

• justg22
    justg22 Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2021

How cute. Tumbleweeds are so inspiring Happy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Espresso cheese. Medicating

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Tundra outside. Tropics inside. First rebloom for white orchid. Second for peach.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited December 2021

Gosh, I saw Earth Wind and Fire years ago, but the mind is playing tricks on me, I can't remember where or when....

Tumbleweed snowman still makes me smile.

What is expresso cheese?

Lovely orchids, none of mine are reblooming this year...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

I've never seen EWF in person. Seems like it would be fun.

Espresso cheese is just delicious. A few slices are a great snack.

https://www.sartoricheese.com/our-cheese/reserve-cheese/espresso-bellavitano.html

This year is the first time I've ever been able to get any orchid to rebloom. Last year I decided to rescue my remaining orchids from myself. Seems to have worked now that I'm 3 for 3. I have a third phal that bloomed earlier this year. One of the middle leaves turned yellow so I thought there might be a problem, but this morning I saw what looks like a new spike coming out just above the leaf. I'm still learning.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

LadyBLue - Oh - where or when..... I know I'm older than all of you, but here's to a memory of dances in the school gym with a round mirror ball flashing light. Although I think I remember the Dodie Stevens version just as well (she was most famous for "Pink Shoelaces"). Where or When is a great song, whether you choose Frank Sinatra or Michael Buble.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

Mike Nesmith from the Monkees made his transition today. For those of you who knew this band from the 1960s, share some favorite songs of theirs here ❤️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Does it count that I only saw them in reruns?

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

It counts 😎

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited December 2021

Davy Jones was my favorite and the song "Daydream Believer" my favorite song. Could not get the YouTube version to paste in here, sorry.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Here you go…

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

ThumbsUp

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

A bit of trivia I learned from the attached link to the Rolling Stone article: Nesmith wrote "A Different Drum" but GAVE it to Linda Ronstadt. And his Mother was the inventor of Liquid Paper. Included are a couple of songs.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/monk...

It has a clip from their final show on Nov 14th at the Greek Theater. It's 30 minutes but does include Daytime Believer.