Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited December 2021

I returned my neighbour’s tiny aloe pups with green leaves and new growth. They were in a pot that was too big with no drainage holes. I repotted into a smaller one in lighter soil.

Next challenge is to work on the neglected again pothos plants. They were doing so well after years of barely surviving.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited December 2021

Slice of joy - the holiday baking has begun featuring choc decadence biscotti

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Please link recipe! Those look yummy.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited December 2021

It's part of my plan to make both my Mother's Date Bread next week and a new recipe for almond cookies that won our local newspaper's prize this year. If I get a "round tuit", and they're any good - I'll send the recipe.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

Here you go. This comes from a 30 year old biscotti mini cook book I found on a business trip decades ago, but amazingly enough, found the same recipe on linehttp://www.desktopcookbook.com/cookbookprint.asp?ID=150087

I need more butter and plan to make more batches including caramel walnut, plus some cranberry orange.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Jazzy - Thanks for sharing! I have everything except the almonds. On the list now.

We are back to covered in snow after it was rained out. I hear the sidewalk getting cleared. I’m inside under my blanket with my loaded Sunday coffee. Little sneezy.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Saw this today - why the Beatles didn't make a LOTR movie. (looks weird - should be "an" before the letter "L", but I'm going to leave it this way, assuming we will all say Lord of the Rings, which would of course be "a".

https://screenrant.com/lord-rings-beatles-movie-ca...

I like the idea of loaded Sunday coffee. I'm thankful our power finally came back on yesterday evening since it was 46 degrees.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Minus - I often drink coffee black, but I love it loaded. Glad your outage didn't last long. Our power went out briefly (<30 minutes) when we had the windstorm. I love that we have a gas fireplace with a remote start. There has been at least one night when we all slept in the family room to keep warm during a long power outage. Not sure I'd like a musical LOTR. It's funny to watch Hugo Weaving rap in Elvish for a bit, but only a bit.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited December 2021

Re: Loaded Coffee - Since I retired, and just because I can, I add Irish Cream Liqueur to my very strong coffee mocha on a daily basis. Much better than plain cream!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

We need to meet for coffee!

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

Toscana biscotti with orange and cranberry

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Wow! Which do you like better?

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

I lIke the cranberry ones as they are a new kind I tried. One more double batch to go tonight after I buy more flour 😋

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Jazzy - Cranberry and orange work so well together. My husband makes his cranberry sauce with orange juice.

Third vaccine done! I’m 2/3 SpikeVax and 1/3 whatever name Pfizer chose.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

Serenity - hope no side effects 🙏

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Thank you! I’ve got my rash ointments readyat the first sign.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Serenity - ditto - hope you are able to avoid side effects.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

Last batch of biscotti - caramel walnut

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Minus - Thank you! So far I only have a kinda sore injection site that Tylenol helped. No rash like from dose 1, and no fever like from dose 2. Both Moderna shots caused more swelling at the injection site than Pfizer. Think I was more exhausted from standing in line in the frigid weather. It was brisk!

Jazzy - Those all look so good!

Sun is shining. Happy Solstice!

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

Solstice yoga

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Pretty!

I’m eating some Lindt chocolates. ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Jazzy - One of my kids made cranberry orange biscotti tonight. Thanks for the inspiration!

Saw Stevie Wonder on Kennedy Center Honors. There’s no video of it on YT, so this excellent version will have to do.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Andra Day performed at the KCH as well. She was amazing. I think this Someday at Christmas duet with Stevie Wonder was the first time I heard her.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited December 2021

Yummm, coffee with Irish Creme, that's an old favorite of mine! Thanks for the reminder CeliaC !! I will have to do that again once my tummy can handle coffee again.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

oldladyblue - Hope you recover soon. I remember missing coffee during chemo.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

Slice of joy is my new hairdo! I moved to "pandemic grey" last year which I was already planning to do when I turned 60 the March before last, but being home for months and in between work things made it easier. In June of 2020, I had a couple inches of grey in the roots, and cut it super short into a pixie and then let some of the residual blonde coloring grow out the following months. By December of last year, I had a really nice silver look going on and this year I have been growing it out to more of a length I like (mid neck length). I was also pleased to discover my grey is actual silver. My mother had very overprocessed white hair and did not want that, but was prepared to do a rinse if I needed to silver it up. But in the end, this is what I got and thanks to my dad's side of the family for this.

This year, I changed stylists to and relocated back to a salon I started at years ago and found a really nice gal who has been cutting my hair since April. Today was my first haircut since right after Labor Day and boy was I really needing a redo. It came out just like I wanted.

Although I did not do chemo and did not loose my hair, I did do five years on th aromatase inhibitors which really decreased the thickness of my hair (which has always been fine anyways), but have gotten more growth back. That being said, my hair is thicker around the sides than on top anymore, plus my left side is also thicker than the right. My hair is not quite the same as it used to be after the hormone treatments and also with being older now. So I am grateful to have a stylist who balances it all out. I know some of you may have the same challenges with your hair after treatment.

That is my Xmas hair story and I am sticking to it!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Jazzy - That’s beautiful!

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Jazzy - LOVE your hair. I'm getting ready to try a silver/grey/blond shampoo that my hair dresser recommended. I was always blond with red highlights until chemo, then my hair came dark brown (go figure). I don't mind the grey, but I hate the dirty brown.

Serenity - thanks for the Audra Day song. I hadn't heard her either.

Lady Blue - the drinking thread is doing the 12 days of Christmas cocktails. Day three was 1oz each - Baileys, Kahlua & Chamboard. I'm out of Baileys but have it on my list.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited December 2021

Oh Jazzy, I love your hair. Love it!

I can tell that my hair is probably going to come back in white as the little fluffies I have sticking up like lost souls on top of my head are white. I was brown haired with a few greys before October.

There is a powder "makeup" for scalps that helps hide the thinning of the hair on top. There are several brands and they come in many colors. You just shake some of the powder on the top of your scalp and voila your hair appears thicker up there. I used to use the brown kind, but I guess I will have to buy the grey kind when I get hair again next year. I loved using it.

Minus Twuo, since I am still not drinking (detoxing chemo drugs) feel free to post here your little slices of joy photos of drinks so I can partake visually!!

Merry Christmas eve all!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Jazzy - Nice hair story. I had very long hair before chemo. I keep it short now because the top grows slower than the rest, and it looks like a mullet. Still dark with some grey.

oldladyblue - Yay to hair!

Minus - I loved that Andra Day performed at the KCH for Berry Gordy. Gordy discovered Stevie Wonder who later discovered Andra Day (name from “Lady Day", my all time favourite singer).

This beautiful video was made last year. Unfortunately it's still relevant.