Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited December 2021

Oh, lovely expresso cheese link! I thought you were making it up! I may just have to search some out!

Where or when, lovely too!

Well I had my last infusion today. Glad that part of treatment is over. Now just to get through the next two weeks of side effects and I will be truly done.

Love this thread, it cheers me up. Thank you.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited December 2021

Congrats on being done with infusions. We are here for you ❤️

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

This is my fav Michael Nesmith song.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited December 2021

oldladyblue - Please treat yourself to some espresso cheese! Hope you fully recover from treatment. Congrats!

Jazzy - “Me and Magdelena” was released in 2016. It’s such a beautiful song.

Watched this and confirmed that it’s good to be Sting. 😎

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited December 2021

Wow - thanks for posting Serenity. As someone who doesn't watch TV (not to mention that I'm usually in bed early), I do miss a lot of things that are enjoyable.

One song for the rest of your life...The Sound of Silence

What you should really throw out... Caution

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited December 2021

Saw Sting on Colbert yesterday as well. He clarified it was the not the famous song, but literally "silence". Found it very funny that his most feared animals are cats.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

I'm scared of cats, too! Especially the big ones. The small ones are just miniature big ones. :)

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Serenity - love it. "the small ones are just miniature big ones".

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

My younger daughter has wanted cats, but I’m very allergic. I do love big cats. They are fearsome and majestic. I just prefer them in their natural habitat like this snow leopard.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

I made fried rice tonight - so slicing onions, celery, rotisserie chicken, bell pepper, etc and out of my mouth comes Handel's Hallelujah Chorus at full voice. My BFF went to a Messiah sing along last weekend and had never been to such a thing before. She is not a singer so was surprised by the number of people with their full scores singing along. I've sung the whole thing enough times starting at age 14 that I don't usually have to look at the score. But I haven't been to a Messiah sing along since my SIL died in 2013. So where do these ear worms come from anyway?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Minus - I love my family too much to sing out my ear worms 😀. I've even had a dog stop me from singing 🙁.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Earworms-Why-do-Songs-Get-Stuck-in-Your-Head.aspx

Current ear worm:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

My plant care has improved so much over the past year that my family has noticed. They’ve never seen our plants look better. They didn’t know some of them bloomed in the winter. My older daughter referred to the plants she has at her apartment as my plants, not hers, because they haven’t grown much since she’s had them. I reminded her that it’s only in the past year that I’ve gotten better. If the plant dies, get another one. I think I’ve had more fun rehabbing a plant from near death. My neighbour’s little aloe pups are almost ready to go back.

Fast broken by eggs with fresh tarragon.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

It's taco Tuesday

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Looks delicious!

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Ah - Diana Krall... Thanks

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

A treat from my employer today

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Oh yum. Thanks for sharing - but still exempting me from the calories.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

The best treat!

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

MinusTwo- I know you needed to see this. A nice treat for sure, I got in to the box tonight. Just the right size to enjoy without too much worry.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Oh, oh, oh... Friday I'll be across town & plan to stop at the one See's Candy shop left in Houston - located inside an upscale market. I grew up with Sees for special occasions. I think the fact that I won't see my son AGAIN this year means I need a consolation prize. I plan to buy a pound of the Victoria Toffee, which is only available for a few weeks in December.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

MinusTwo- I got in to the box last night and they are really delish. Its been a long time since I had any, but I rarely eat anything with sugar.

I used to work in an executive job on the east coast and would take a lot of trips to CA with my job. I would get Sees candies to bring back east to my parents and others. We had no gourmet candy places in the area at that time.

Sorry to hear your son won't be able to spend the holidays with you. I don't have much family left, and none of them ever come to visit for the holidays nor do I go to them anymore, so I go to the hot springs for some restoration time. I hope you have a peaceful holiday however you spend it. Sending Xmas love this season!

Workign from home is my slice of joy today!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Minus - Sorry that you won't see your son this holiday. Enjoy the toffees!

Jazzy - We have some fine chocolatiers here, so I'm hoping to get some fancy candies under the tree. Hot springs sound great!

Any LOTR fans?

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2021

Serenity- I loved the books as a young person, I could not get in to the movies. I think my imagination about their world was more vivid than what I saw on the screen? Maybe the essential the book beats the movie?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Jazzy - I didn't read the books when young, but my husband and kids did. They are the writers in the family, and they all still enjoyed the movies. Stephen Colbert himself is a huge fan of the books and movies. But it's understandable that some people won't like both. The video does have Hugo Weaving rapping, and that's just fun to see.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

My Mother read the Hobbit to us in the 1950s, but I didn't read Lord of the Rings until college. I've re-read it twice and am probably due for another read. Because I have such vivid pictures of all the characters in my mind, I refused to see the movie to destroy my vision - so I'm in agreement with Jazzy. Same reason I wouldn't see the movie Mary Poppins. I just don't want to change the word pictures I have from all my reading.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Strange. My older daughter has a master’s in English literature and writes fiction/poetry. I don’t think she’s ever refused to watch a film adaptation of a book she loved unless reviews are overwhelmingly bad.

I didn’t mean to cause a stir. The video celebrates the LOTR films as the best trilogy made.

Without the films, we wouldn’t have this Annie Lennox performance:

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Oh no Serenity - I applaud you posting Colbert. I think it's vital to introduce kids AND grown-ups to the stories & these films are surely wonderful & well done from all I've read. If we're lucky, good films will likely induce many people to actually pick up a book. So yes, people should be celebrating the anniversary. It's just a personal quirk. I taught English Lit and LOVE these books - I'm just 'hidebound' I guess. (lost in the 50's??) That said, even before COVID I didn't go to one movie a year. I really don't ever even turn on my TV. When I get the chance to sit down I'd rather have a book in my hand, and I still subscribe to & read print news every day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

Minus - I do enjoy watching movies, but even before covid I preferred watching at home. The exception is a movie with a big following. There's added entertainment value when everyone is a fan. There is a movie coming out next year that may get me into the theatre. It's with Michelle Yeoh in the lead role. I love her and want to support her by watching it during its opening weekend. Audience may be full of female nerds like me.

This is a cool cover by Santana.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021

Serenity - thanks for the Santana. I hadn't thought about them in a long time.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2021

That’s way too long to go without!