Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited January 2022

Minus - Love that song! I was raised eating Asian foods, but I don't have a deep preference for those foods. I like foods from all cultures. I think most cultures have their own version of dumplings. The caller was just being racist since it seems allowed these days.

My younger daughter made chocolate chip cookies this morning. Her chosen food culture is chocolate.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited January 2022

Serenity- I had a long talk today about racism in the workplace with an old friend today. I like the New Years goal of learning how to make the dumplings. We can be the change, we are the change we want to see in the world.

My slice of joy today is just embracing the fruits of this lovely long weekend I am coming through that included some phone calls and visits with friends near and far, a lovely yoga practice, and more. Tomorrow is back to work to my five day work weeks for awhile. Into 2022 we go.....

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited January 2022

We are making our New Year's Nepali-style dumplings a day late right now.

Yum.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited January 2022

Yeslama Dragon- I had to lookup Nepali style dumplings.

Momo is found in the cuisines of India, Nepal and Tibet. It is similar to baozi, jiaozi and mantou in Chinese cuisine, buuz in Mongolian cuisine, gyoza in Japanese cuisine, mandu in Korean cuisine and manti in Afghan cuisines.

I already knew I loved gyoza. Turns out there are 4 places close to me in Houston that feature Nepali dumplings. Something I'll try in the new year.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Jazzy - It's an important conversation these days. Glad your break was so nice.

Yeslama - I've never had Nepalese dumplings. The pictures look great.

Minus - The best dumplings I can remember are the gyoza from Momosan in NYC. Guess it helps that it's a restaurant from the Japanese Iron Chef.

So we're going to have a lot of attempts. ;)

• yesiamadragon
    edited January 2022

I like the tomato-sesame dipping sauce the best.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Do you make the dough wrapper from scratch? I looked at a few recipes. Not all included dough instructions.

I like the ginger scallion dip.

• yesiamadragon
    edited January 2022

yes, using the pasta attachment on the stand mixer, but one of our Nepali friends taught us to use wonton wrappers!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Hmm. We have a pasta roller that was last used to make crackers. Which do you prefer?

• yesiamadragon
    edited January 2022

Well, if you have many hands, the fresh wrappers are fantastic, but the wonton/dumpling wrappers are completely a game-changer in terms of just getting them to the table :)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

We do have many hands. We can try it. I just remember my husband making tortellini from scratch, and it tasted very similar to store bought. Though he did make pasta with fresh thyme rolled into it that was incredible.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022
    We're discussing which type of dumpling to make.

Do steamed buns count?

I’ve never thought this much on dumplings! :)
  • yesiamadragon
    edited January 2022

My other slice of joy from this weekend (we celebrated Christmas late) was that I made panettone from scratch. Took 3 days, 14 egg yolks... and is absolutely amazing! Nothing at all like the stuff in stores. Citrusy cloud. A lot of work! But so absolutely worth it. And I may use it as a bribe to keep the kids coming home for Christmas :D

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Citrusy cloud sounds amazing! I may like panettone homemade. I only like homemade marshmallow. My kids did most of the baking this time. I’ve taught them well.

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

Yeslama- that is amazing you made it from scratch. I like the bribery idea for getting the kids to come for Xmas, food as a lure does work!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Our pup works as a lure!

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

Slice of joy - my pasta creation this evening

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Looks fantastic! Love your pasta bowl.

I’m drooling. It’s my first 36-hr fast since the holiday break.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Yum Jazzy. Linguine, shrimp, artichoke hearts, what else? Do I spy a mushroom hiding in there? What was the 'sauce'?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Capers?

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Yup Serenity, I think so... OK Jazzy - I know this is not the dinner thread, but can you please share the recipe?:

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

Yes capers. In a bit of chicken broth.

No recipe as this was my own creation but here is what you do:

Saute shrimp in olive oil and minced garlic. Add about a cup of chicken broth and simmer with marinated artichokes. Make linguini or pasta of your choice and then put in a bowl. Toss together and add capers at the end so they remain plump and flavorful. Serve with Parm or asiago cheese.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Jazzy - My husband cooks without recipes, too. My younger daughter is beginning to cook that way, but for years she's been baking fast and loose. On average it's great. ;) But she doesn't keep track. She made incredible cupcakes with lavender tea leaves once and only once.

Broke my fast with eggs and fresh tarragon.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited January 2022

Hi all I don’t come here often these days but want to wish you joyful people a very happy New Year especially Serenity - how amazing that your thread is on its 109th page!!!! I really love all the recent food posts. Love how this thread meanders around from art to music to food to glorious plants and lovely things that people have done etc. A food related slice of joy that I’d like to share is the Netflix series “Parts Unknown” with Anthony Bourdain (RIP). It’s great because there are so many episodes and you can choose a place that you’d like to go to and find out all about the food and culture there. I love it and recommend.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Happy New Year, ScotBird! I love Bourdain and his shows. Netflix has a good number of food shows I watch.

I was too young to see Joe Cocker “Feelin' Alright" on the Ed Sullivan Show live. Love it!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

ThumbsUp

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited January 2022

Thanks Serenity, that was soooooo fun to watch! Had to watch it twice in a row (so far).

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

You might like this one, too!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

❤️ RIP

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

I got some new birks and putting them away for warmer weather