Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited January 2022

Oh Lovely. I've been wearing my old, ratty pair around the house with heavy socks.

Live stream Haydn's cello concert tonight with Mercury (Baroque). I'll report tomorrow.

For nearly 200 years, it was thought to be lost - sparkling and stunning Haydn's Cello Concerto in C major!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited January 2022

MinusTwo- I had a pair I got back in 2014 on trip to Aspen and wore them out. I saw these on line last summer but they never had them in my size but saw they were available again and decided to get them now and have them ready for spring. My feet are hot mess and they feel great.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited January 2022

Both of those were lovely Serenity! To Sir With Love made me cry. I remember how much I enjoyed that movie every time I saw it, from the first time, long long ago.

• mommamonaster
    mommamonaster Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2022

My slice of joy today is rediscovering this song by Eva Cassidy -who we lost to breast cancer at a very young age.

https://youtu.be/2rd8VktT8xY

• mommamonaster
    mommamonaster Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2022

Rediscovering this song, performed by an amazing talent taken by breast cancer is my slice of joy today.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited January 2022

mommamonaster - That was beautiful! I never heard of her before. Thank you for sharing.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Beautiful cover of Everybody’s Talkin’.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited January 2022

Heard this song yesterday and had a flashback to this poetic moment. The music doesn't seem complete without their artistry.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

From watching the Leonard Cohen documentary:

"There is a crack in everything.

That's how the light gets in."

- Leonard Cohen

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

Stephen Bishop is an artist I always liked back in the 1970s and rediscovered some of his music again in the past year or so. The writer of this song passed recently, so I thought I would share. And oldie but goodie from Tootsie in he 1980s from those of you who remember.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Just thrilled to see this pharmacist offer this service.
    ThumbsUp

For immunocompromised Montrealers needing a safe vaccination space for 3rd/4th doses! See link for more details to contact this kind pharmacist.

https://twitter.com/balloonian/status/1480976773118574596?s=21

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

Wow you guys are on your fourth dose already. This is brilliant. People here in the US are having a hard time finding the booster (3rd shot). I got mine last October when the hospital where I work opened it up to employees and I went right away. I was vaxed very early (last Jan) and knew the protection was waning. As of next Monday, if you don't have a booster, it is grounds for termination. EEK!

I expect I will be lining up for a fourth by sometime this spring.......

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2022

My cat is sitting on my lap, gently tapping me with her paw for my attention.

My daughter is on her way back from the nearest large city (3 hours away) with food from one of our favorite restaurants.

Life is good.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Jazzy - I'm glad your hospital has a vaccine mandate. Wish we had it here. Except for select groups, under 30 aren't eligible for 3rd doses yet. We have <25% of the population with 3 doses. The 4th dose is only for dialysis and immunocompromised. My husband and I have recent boosters. Hoping to get my kids boosted as soon as they're eligible.

NotAsCalm - That does sound good! Enjoy your meal. Does it come with dessert? My older daughter brings pastries.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

❤️

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2022

SerenitySTAT: no dessert, this time. But it’s fine. Living in a rural community means embracing all the restaurants when we go to the city. With The pandemic I’m not traveling… so I depend on the kindness of others

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

If you haven't heard Davone TInes yet, he has an amazing voice. I too remember Paul Roberson and this is fabulous. Tears in my eyes.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022
    NotAsCalm - That meal must have still been a treat!

Minus - Nice!

My older daughter nursed herself back to good health on her own. She’s still isolating, so my husband will drop off some stuff at her place. She wants dry white wine, but doesn’t want to order it to avoid having to open the door to show her ID. She also wants chicken broth. Maybe risotto in the making?
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022
    Time for some blues 🎶

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Ah yes, John Lee Hooker!!! Thanks

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

George Duke was a fav smooth jazz artist (he passed a few years back). This is my favorite song of his that is a remake of an old Donny Hathaway tune. Oh and now I am ready for a tropical vacaion too!

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Very nice Jazzy - so peaceful. Hadn't heard this before. I remember the Nat King Cole & Dinah Washington & Nina Simone covers.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

That video was peaceful. I’m ready for a tropical vacation as well.

Got a box of 5 rapid tests delivered with my Ibrance today. I haven’t ever gotten tested. Hope I won’t need it, but my older daughter did (-). Younger daughter may be going to campus starting next week, and my husband may have to travel next month. We’re going to need a bigger box of tests. Ok, no joy there. Deep breath.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

RIP Ronnie Spector 1/12/22

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2022

What a wonderful, distinctive voice Ronnie Spector had. FYI - The actress/singer Zendaya will be portraying Ronnie Spector in an upcoming movie.

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

I love Zendaya. Thanks for the heads up Celia C

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Great voice!

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

I was surprised to find that when I forwarded my original Ronette's link to some friends of my generation, they knew the song but could never had identified the group. Maybe because I was the oldest in my family & saved money to buy 45 records? While many of my friends were the youngest sibling and they just listened to the records their older brothers purchased.

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

Here is someone new I discovered this week, Teddy Swims. I have listened to a couple of his covers. YouTube him for some other things, he's awesome.

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited January 2022

Thick slice: Getting all dressed up for the virtual Ukrainian New Year celebration, Malanka, and polka-ing around the living room all night with my DH! Still hoping to do it in person again one day…

https://youtu.be/vqUvyatzWDU