Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited January 2022

Polka! Only did it once at a wedding. It was so much fun. 💃

Snow day called! Enjoying a cup of tea while snow plows do their work.

Medicating

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited January 2022

My slice of joy today is working from home and listening to clips of Martin Luther King's speeches on NPR. I was 8 years old when he was assissinated and the news came on TV. I asked my mother who MLK was and she said "why?" I told her he had been shot and killed and she came down to our family room to sit and watch the news with me.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited January 2022

10" of very heavy wet snow, then the sun came out on a winter wonderland!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Jazzy - Thanks for sharing that memory.

Yeslama - I love when the sun comes out!

Broke my 36-hr fast with an omelette with last night's leftover taco filling. Yum! ETA - I mean the night before last!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited January 2022

Serenity - I think you are amazing. I can and often do go 12-18 hours w/o eating, but I can't imagine 36. I assume you drink water, but do you allow yourself any other liquids?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Minus - Once I could go 20-24 hours without food, going to 36 hours wasn't much of a leap. I drink water, black coffee, or tea. I may add a little lemon juice to the water. Rarely I eat fresh aloe (good enough for Gandhi). I like to do one 36-hr fast a week. The rest of the week I usually fast about 14-18 hours a night. I don't like to track calories or macros, but I can fast. Long ago I was frequently hungry and couldn't imagine not having 3 meals a day. Now I can't imagine eating that often.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Interesting Serenity. Thanks for sharing. It's been a long time since I've eaten more than one meal a day, but I do snack on nuts or a piece of fruit sometimes. My favorite right now is Pine Nuts.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Minus - I've only had pine nuts in pesto. Yum! You can probably fast for 36 hours. I have dinner, eat no food the next day, and eat a late breakfast the day after. At the end of the day with no food is the hardest part. That's when it's best to go to sleep. I usually don't feel hungry when I wake up. Often the 36 hours is really 40-44.

I've got an ear worm, but can't figure out the song. Aarghhh!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Got it! Could hear Sting.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

I approve this use of pink.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Still stuck on Sting. This is such a beautiful song and video.

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

Serenity- I approve that use of pink too!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

The vaccination thrill is gone. My younger daughter got her booster. Instead of fresh pastries my husband brought back half off Christmas chocolates. Still eating them. ;)

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Oh yes - BB King is always marvelous. Thanks.

RIP Meatloaf. I think I posted this before, but relevant again. Interesting discussion on the web about what are the exact things that he 'won't do'. THis link has the words. And how about "It's All Coming back to me Now"?? Or "Objects in the Rear View Mirror"?? Amazing talent - or maybe I was just 'in love' when "Bat Out Hell" was released? OMG - still tears me up....

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022
  • jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

I saw this yesterday. Loved his books 🙏❤️😔

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited January 2022

Love the Thich Nhat Hahn quote.

My slice of joy is that I got cleared to donate blood, and have an appointment for February 11!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Yeslama - Great that you're able to donate blood! My husband has great veins and is a regular donor. I tried when I was young, but I had to stop when the phlebotomist left the needle halfway in my arm to go get help. Now it still hurts, but I try to find the good phlebotomists.

Had a nice visit with my older daughter after her isolation. The pup was the most happy.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

On the pup - Twice we caught her just staring at my older daughter. Maybe we need to include the pup in our text exchanges. Nice to have the tech to stay in touch when apart.

My older daughter got her booster today. It's a relief that we're able to get boosted as the province makes policies that lead to more spread.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Sent older daughter a pup update as requested. I should tell pup.

Love Elvis Costello. He has some new music, but I like his old stuff. Not everyone does, but this cover is wonderful.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2022

Watched Elvis Costello on Steven Colbert last week and he performed one of the songs off his new album. The song She was featured in the film Notting Hill. Great song - thanks for the trip down memory lane.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Had a wonderful time with this last night. Really short clips of the top songs for every month in the 60s. Yes, it's 25 minutes but lots of fun. Watching the progression out of coats & ties for men, and the skirts get shorter & shorter, and everyone looks soooo young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDWPNgRNdHI

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Celia - Yes! I remember watching the movie, hearing the song, and thought I recognized the voice. It’s distinctive.

Minus - That was great though I hadn’t heard of some before!

How about some Neil Young?

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Oh yeah - Thanks for Young. Crosby, Stills & Nash AND Young - was a wonderful addition.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

MO appointment today. TMs stable. Getting med break.

Broke my 36-hr fast with Oreos. Happy

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

Serenity that's good news. Oreos yum 😋

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

We had Oreos because my younger daughter wanted to make a dessert with them. When we came home from the hospital, my daughter said there's leftover Oreos.

Him: “Thought there were leftover Oreos."

Me, wiping crumbs off face: “There were." 🤭

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

New leaf for the winter! Looks like it will have some good fenestrations. Orchids still in bloom.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Love the look of sunlight shining through the blinds today on a wintry day.

Here Comes the Sun - James Taylor and Yo-Yo Ma ❤️

• jazzygirl
    edited January 2022

Yummy facial tonight ❤️