Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited January 2022

👍

More Neil Young

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782
    edited January 2022

I thought I'd share this Sam Cooke song. It's so powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPr3yvkHYsE

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Cowgirl - Hi! Please feel free to post.

Blah day. Love this performance of Green Onions.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited January 2022

Yeah CowGirl. I expect you may have hit this thread by mistake - but we'd love to have you join in.

• cowgirl13
    edited January 2022

ok you guys, I'm going to try again to post. Yea, it did post! I have always loved Cat Stevens. Hadn't heard his music in many, many years. He wrote this song at age 21, when he was near death in hospital after being diagnosed with a collapsed lung and tuberculosis.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Cowgirl - YES!!! I too LOVE Cat Stevens. I haven't heard this particular cut in a long time. And I'd forgotten about his hospitalization & dire condition om 1969. Had to check WIKI for more details.

I'm still stuck with a Meatloaf earworm - "I would do anything.....". It's getting old going to sleep & waking up to this every single day. My brain is also tossing up a bunch of real oldies as I try to transition - many from my Mother's generation "Embrace Me My Sweet Embraceable you", "Daisy, Daisy Give Me Your Answer Do". "Autumn Leaves". Where's the OFF switch???

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Cowgirl - I didn't know about his hospitalization. I posted a videos he made last year including one with Playing for Change. He still sounds great!

Minus - I've been listening to 80s music lately.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2022

Fellow Yusuf/Cat Stevens fan here! He appeared on a 2020 episode of CBS Sunday Morning, discussing the making of Tea for the Tillerman 2, a re-imagining of his hit 1970 album Tea for the Tillerman. Very interesting discussion.

80s music was terrific!

• cowgirl13
    edited January 2022

Nice to hear there are other Cat Stevens fans. Would love to have seen the CBS Sunday Morning episode. I was lucky enough to have heard him when he played in Berkeley, CA in about 1972 or 73. (Minus, I think it was Zellerbach Hall or some venue near there--I know you will know.) Anyway it was wonderful and I'll never forget there was a short film/video animation that was playing when he sang Moon Shadow. The images were taken from his album and I've never forgotten it. So visual and with his song - just the best. Serenity, thanks for posting The The...This Is The Day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

The CBS Sunday Morning video is gone, but here are a few videos of older Yusuf/Cat Stevens available:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

And more 80s music! Talking Heads. Relevant as ever.

• cowgirl13
    edited January 2022

Serenity, thank you for posting these videos as I would never have heard/seen them. Playing for Change is just wonderful.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Cowgirl - 👍👍👍

New Order’s Bizarre Love Triangle reminds me of running to the dance floor when it played.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Yup Cowgirl, I remember Zellerbach. Even though I left CA in 1966, lots of good times & good music in SF & Berkeley & Carmel & Big Sur & ......

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Joni Mitchell!

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited January 2022

Oh thank you thank you thank you for putting up Cat Stevens!!!! I'm so happy I checked in here tonight.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

👍👍👍

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Lovely Joni Mitchel!!! GREAT song. I like the Judy Collins version too.

Serenity - Per your tag line quote - I need to pull Hesse off my book shelves. Time to re-read. One line I've always liked: "His task was to discover his own destiny - not an arbitrary one - and live it out wholly and resolutely within himself. Everything else was only a would-be existence....".

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited January 2022

A new jazz artist I have been hearing about lately, Samara Joy. She has a bit of Sara Vaughn and Billie Holiday going in her music. Enjoy!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Jazzy - Great find! Also love the jazz guitarist.

Today is the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday in Derry, Ireland. I’m not Irish, but Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 is the first song that made me aware of the power of music. I was a kid who only listened to crooner music my parents played before.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Jazzy - Samantha Joy is lovely. I'll look for more of her work. Stardust was my parents "song". And yes, the guitarist is amazing.

Serenity - love your comment about of "crooner music". Makes me think of Perry Como & Frank Sinatra. I hadn't thought about U2 in a long time.

Interesting snippet from Virginia Woolf's To A Lighthouse: "...the pulp has gone out of our friendship." I think back on one time friends I am no longer in contact with and yes - with the 'pulp gone' & the friendship watered down, the connection just seems to flow away.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Minus - Yes, the connections have flown away. I still love crooners, but I’m a child of the 80s. U2 is a top band for me.

An acoustic version of Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of.

• cowgirl13
    edited January 2022

I was just reading an article in the Guardian about Bloody Sunday. If you haven't seen it, do see Kenneth Branaugh's film Belfast which is about the Troubles and he has made a great film (my opinion) about this time. He shares how it affected him, his friends, neighbors, parents--his neighborhood. It's seen through his eyes as a you boy.

Please know I'm not posting this to be political, I just wanted to share my experience of of this film.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Cowgirl - I mentioned Bloody Sunday first, so don’t worry about it! All good! The movie is on our watchlist.

• seagoddess2021_
    seagoddess2021_ Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2022

Just discovered this thread and it brought a smile to my face!! Love The Talking Heads. Thank you for that.

• cowgirl13
    edited January 2022

Here's the link to the article that I mentioned above The director's cousin Martin Hamilton tells of family and the Troubles that went on to inspire an acclaimed memoir

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jan/30/be...

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Cowgirl - thanks for the link. l think all of Branaugh's work is worth 'attending'.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Cowgirl - Thanks for the link!

Seagoddess - Welcome! Got another - Road to Nowhere

• cowgirl13
    edited January 2022

Minus, I do too. Have you seen his Wallander series?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2022

Fact check: True!