Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2021

Jazzy - Beautiful flowers! Did they come as buds? My friend's hubby used to send an arrangement from ProFlowers to her workplace for their anniversary; most were still buds and opened through the week. They lasted a long time. Not sure what he did last year with the pandemic and everyone working from home. Glad you recovered from dental surgery and extra glad you bought yourself a get well present.

Chet Baker inspired me to find some Chet Atkins. Sweet Dreams!

Here's a short clip from 1954:

Here's a longer clip from 1987 (Mr. Sandman and Imagine):

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2021

Minus - We don't have any vinyl records. I had a few records when I had a roommate with a turntable. Once we moved apart, I sold them. My first CD was by Joe Williams after seeing him at a jazz festival. I didn't know of Ferlinghetti, but I did go to the City Lights bookstore a few years ago. Lunch was at the House of Nan King. How's the poetry?

badger - Still too cold to open the windows here. Temp is hovering around freezing, and there's maybe 2 feet of accumulated snowcover. At least the roads are all clear. The sun has been doing its thing.

Jazzy - Gorgeous flowers! Hope your recovery is going well. I've always been an insomniac, but I need more sleep. Had a little nap earlier and felt better.

Sweet Dreams, you say?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited March 2021

Beaver - I expect you remember Patience & Prudence? It's been an earworm for me today. My BFF & I used to sing this all the time.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited March 2021

Yes they all came as buds. Watching them open daily has been a treat

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

I decided Perry Como looks creepy. When my grandparents came to visit, we had to give up any of our regular TV shows for Perry Como, and Lawrence Welk. Here's a selection from Ferlinghetti. Meant to be read aloud.

Oh I can NEVER figure out how to insert things. Off to the dr. I'll try again later

• badger
    edited March 2021

We watched Lawrence Welk every week but can't remember the Perry Como show. In that clip, he does read as creepy. Poor girls.

My earworm is the Geico commercial with Tag Team. Makes me smile every time I see it. My hubby shakes his head when I sing it.

There's a youtube video with Tag Team talking about the resurgence of their 1993 club song WHOOMP (There It Is) used in the commercial. They are happy that people are listening to the music again (nearly 30 years later!) and buying it on iTunes because they get royalty payments. I had to find the original song. By the 1990's I was a working stiff and not clubbing anymore.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

badger - I don't recall seeing the commercial, but good for them for more royalties!

Another beautiful day! At above freezing, it's Montreal warm. 😁

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

My slice of joy yesterday was picking up Beer Battered Cod fish & chips - featured at a local burger joint during Lent. It was REAL cod. Maybe not quite up to the standard of the 'Black Labrador' - (a British Pub now closed), but still a lovely treat.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Minus - Love fish and chips!

I know this feeling.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2021

Badger,

Ha ha! I thought I was the only one who got a kick out of that Geico commercial. My husband also thinks I'm crazy when I react to it. But I love it -- both the song re-do and the happy dancing. Makes me want to get out of my chair and join them.

Joy in an unexpected place!

• badger
    edited March 2021

BevJen, and the look the girl gives her parents when they start dancing LOLOL!

Serenity, there is no one as funky as Stevie! Superstition is one of the first songs he recorded after he turned 21 and renegotiated his contract with Motown to allow for more artistic freedom.

Minus, Friday Fish fry is a midwest tradition. Cod yum but catfish not so much. I love me some walleye or bluegills when I can get them.

Saw mom yesterday which is always a joy. Brought her some purple grapes, her Willow Tree angel collection (SO glad I didn't donate those yet - phew!) and got the last of the paperwork signed for the VA benefit that will help pay for assisted living. That is a relief. Government paperwork is a PITA. She gave me a pair of her jeans that have a hole in them and asked if I could iron on a patch using some of her sewing supplies. Ummmm, the sewing supplies were donated to the Goodwill along with the iron. Who irons any more? That is the first thing she's requested that I didn't intuit keeping. My hubby suggested asking his mom if she has an iron. Good thought! If so, I will look for an iron-on patch kit at the local big box store. If not, I will look for a new pair online.

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Badger - I think you can still get patch kits at a material/sewing store (like Cloth World). Or if your Mom is fanatically attached to those jeans you might consider a tailor. Probably not any more expensive than a new pair.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Taking notes for my vaccine dance when I can get it. 💃

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Good laughs Serenity!!!

Slice of Joy for today - Butter Crunch Cookies from Tate's Bake Shop in Southhampton, NY. Pricey but delicious.

• badger
    edited March 2021

Wow that was quite the entrance by Trevor Noah!

Minus, I live in Podunk so shopping options are limited. MIL has an iron and the Walmart has patch kits so I'm all set for the big fix. Hubby brought out a pair of jeans with a rip in the knee so we'll get two-for-one repairs with that iron.

Yesterday's slice was the free livestream concert by the Stoughton Opera House. The artist was Frogwater, an odd name for a self-described Celtic bluegrass band out of Milwaukee. I hope to see them live some day!

Today I am making Lemon Crinkle Cookies and enjoying a cool but sunny day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Cookies! ❤️ Both sound so delicious. I need to prepare sourdough for tomorrow. Might make some madeleines.

badger - Great music!

This is a water droplet on a dandelion seed!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

While waiting the 15 minutes after his vaccination, Yo-Yo Ma played his cello. ❤️🎶👍

Clips in link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMXrlh9nT0V/?igshid=1eai8lv8ihbgh

• badger
    edited March 2021

What a treat!

Yesterday's slice was a rear-window decal set. The one I saw was a person (in the window) and his arm (on the windshield wiper). He waves at you when the wiper deploys. LOL! I had never seen these before but apparently there are all kinds. There are cats & dogs that wave or whose tails wag, bunnies playing volleyball, and Christmas-themed ones with Santa or Buddy the Elf waving. The car was from Indiana so this trend hasn't made it here yet. I want one but my car doesn't have a wiper on the back window.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

badger - That's adorable! We live near a dog park. At the end of the work day (pre-covid), we would often see cars with dogs heading towards the park. I love when the windows are down and the dogs stick their heads out happy in anticipation.

Happy Pi Day! We have a round chocolate cake. 😋

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2021

Today's slice is some pussy willows I found at Trader Joe's yesterday

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Gorgeous Jazzy. TJs always has the most beautiful floral offerings.

My thin slice today was a recap of my weight since COVID. It's been a year this week since our first "stay at home" orders. So it's a year since I started walking. I was & am walking for bone health since I don't want to break a hip & get warehoused in a facility. But a nice benefit is that I've lost 15 pounds. Not strictly necessary, but I feel more like my 'younger' self. And I like my clothes looser.

Oh Pie Day. I think I have a slice of Edwards chocolate pie in the freezer.

• badger
    edited March 2021

Did anyone see Silk Sonic performing Leave the Door Open at the Grammys? They were wearing orange leisure suits. Really? The 70's ARE back. LOLOL

Serenity, I always wonder how dogs can breathe with their heads sticking out of the window of a moving vehicle. They do always look happy about it, though.

My hubby and I both bought lemons so we had a surplus. I turned this recipe for Lemon Refrigerator Bites into a deep-dish pie in honor of Pi Day. YUM!

Jazzy, love the pussy willows and Minus congrats on being down 15.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Jazzy - Beautiful! I love your little pots, too.

Minus - Lost 15 lbs. and grew out your hair? You may be one of the few who grew younger in the past year. 👍

badger - Those lemon bites look like mini cheesecakes. Yum! I didn't watch the Grammys, so I looked it up. Wow! The 70s are back, and Minus is ready.

Instead of the Grammys, we watched baking and murder shows. 😁

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited March 2021

Ooooo... baking and murder! Was it Mary Berry in the pantry with a rolling pin?

:D

I am watching Nadiya bakes while I do my non-group rowing. I just love Nadiya. She is so cheerful and makes one feel everything is going to be all right.

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2021

Badger - I have seen the video of them. Love the live version too. Totally doing the temptations mojo. Total 70s groove ❤️

• badger
    edited March 2021

Jazzy, I would not have known about Silk Sonic if not for your heads last week. My hubby was amazed (amused?) that I knew who they were. We don't listen to much pop music.

My dad had a hideous powder blue leisure suit and a polyester shirt with the wide lapels. Probably back in fashion again. Alas, mom consigned it to the donate pile when he passed.

Monday's slice of joy was the return of the robins, a sure sign of spring. We had a snowstorm so it was not the best day for them to arrive. Poor things were hopping around in the snow but there no worms or insects to be had. So, when I put the bird feeder back up yesterday (I take it down in inclement weather so the seeds don't get wet), I put the suet feeder on the ground. The suet cake is in a cage so the squirrels shouldn't be able to bogart it, and I looped the wire around the pole to prevent the raccoons from dragging it away. It's still there this morning. I hope it helps them stay alive until the thaw.

Happy St. Pat's Day! I will wear green when I visit mom today. Found some nice ripe pears at the market yesterday and am bringing her two, along with some sweet black seedless grapes.

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2021

Slice of joy - fruit trees starting to bloom finally

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

YeslamaDragon - It's suspicious that she's not on the show, is it not? 🤔

badger - That's very sweet to bring fresh fruit for your mom.

It was an extra long day yesterday with my MO morning appointment and then Xgeva shot at 6 pm. I needed extra sleep. Whenever I have a bad day, I like to eat ice cream. Thanks to a delivery from our local ice cream shop, we had Kahlua and Oreo mixed with Salted Caramel.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Jazzy - Beautiful view! It's still very much winter here, but the air is fresh and crisp.

Groovy...

• badger
    edited March 2021

Dragon LOL @ Clue ref.

Jazzy, no blooms here yet but there are tiny buds on the lilac bush.

Yesterday's slice was seeing mom, who was thrilled at the repair of her jeans, and picking up some of those black grapes for us on the way home. So sweet and good. Today's slices are many: sunny day but very windy causing someone's bright blue star-spangled beach ball to go rolling down the block. So incongruous with the cold weather it cheered me up; alas for the person whose summer toy went awry. DH is playing poker so the house is quiet. The only sound is the house sparrows vying for access to the dozen holes in the bird feeder. There's at least a score of the fractious little beasties. Good thing they don't mind pecking at what they spill on the ground. And last but not least was a Fluffernutter for lunch. Anyone remember those sandwiches from childhood? Marshmallow fluff and peanut butter on toasted bread yum.

Serenity, great groove! I have Kenny Rankin's version of Groovin' on my mind.