Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2021

badger - It's Green Day! Asylum works. 👍 I'm such a klutz my husband has threatened to put me in a padded room, but not an asylum yet. Glad you're able to visit your mom regularly. Love the video! I can't exercise too intensely (like I used to do). I seem to injure myself just thinking about it. ☹️

Minus - Glad you and your neighbors are recovering from the freeze. We have lots of snow here still, but it was so sunny today, our house was nice and toasty.

Had a telemed appointment with my RO. It's been a year since she saw me. She was very happy my TMs have dropped. Told her that I literally have a new pain in my neck (weird cording on right side). She said to watch for skin lesions in case of shingles (yikes!). So far it's only the pain. Range of motion and eating are fine. Thin slice - I still have drugs from recent sciatic pain that's subsided. I hate pain more than I hate taking drugs.

This inspiring performance was his first after his accident.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2021

Teddy is an inspiration indeed. Many people in the music industry abandoned him after his accident but his promoter Shep Gordon stuck with him. Shep knew there were millions of women mourning and the song was meant to speak to them. The album it was on (Love Language) went gold, a big FU to Teddy's former record company which dropped him. The video you posted with Ashford & Simpson at Live Aid was his first public performance after the accident and he was terrified. Kudos for being afraid and doing it anyway. Let there be songs to fill the air!

This is a Playing for Change version of a fave Grateful Dead song Ripple.

If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
    And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung
    Would you hear my voice come through the music?
    Would you hold it near as it were your own?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
    Perhaps they're better left unsung
    I don't know, don't really care
    Let there be songs to fill the air

Ripple in still water
    When there is no pebble tossed
    Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
    If your cup is full, may it be again
    Let it be known there is a fountain
    That was not made by the hands of men

There is a road, no simple highway
    Between the dawn and the dark of night
    And if you go, no one may follow
    That path is for your steps alone

Ripple in still water
    When there is no pebble tossed
    Nor wind to blow

You who choose to lead must follow
    But if you fall, you fall alone
    If you should stand, then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

badger - I love that video!

My neck pain is much improved. Just needed a little anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant plus stretching.

Made some sourdough crackers with Italian seasoning and extra garlic.

• badger
    edited February 2021

Serenity, glad your neck pain is improved! It's a new dawn, it's a new day. That Nina Simone tune is so much better here than co-opted by a TV commercial.

DH played poker yesterday so enjoyed the P&Q at home. Made Calico Bean Soup, read, napped, and did 30 mins treadmill with the stereo blasting an old Brasil '66 record. Had so much fun browsing the old albums I inherited from my parents. Brasil '66, Herb Alpert and the TJB, Al Hirt, and Henry Mancini. Now that I have a stereo system set-up, I should record a mix tapes with some of the good stuff. (It's all good stuff!)

I took my mom to see Herb Alpert & Lani Hall at the Stoughton Opera House back in 2016. SO GOOD! Mom was 86 at the time and Mr. Alpert was 81!! Here's a 2016 promo article from a Madison weekly titled Herb Alpert and Lani Hall just want you to be happy, and a 9-minute video from 2011 on CBS Sunday Morning. What exceptional human beings.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited February 2021

Serenity: Love the Nina Simone. And I too am glad to hear that your neck is improved. The crackers look delicious but I'm afraid I'd eat them all at one sitting.

Badger - Herb Alpert was such fun. How neat that you got to take your Mother to the concert.

Spent the morning scrubbing sinks, tubs & toilets and vacuuming. Now I'm off to do my next least favorite thing - pay bills!!!

• badger
    edited February 2021

The Herb Alpert interview was good for several reasons. One is footage of his early days (remember The Dating Game? His music was used for that game show) and two is what he's up to now (painting, sculpting, making music, and helping others). A great example of his philanthropy is support for the Harlem School of the Arts. In 2010, he saw they were in danger of closing and sent a check for $500K. The Herb Alpert Foundation has provided $7 million in support to HSA since then.

A great memory from the concert was the audience singing his hit song This Guy's In Love With You. He mentioned it and said his singing voice wasn't that great to begin with and wasn't up to it now. An audience member said, we'll sing it to you. He played the trumpet part and we sang it to him. He was touched. I had forgotten that until just now. ♥

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Thanks, badger and Minus! Neck is all better! No more cording. Woke up early with an emerging mouth sore. Put a dab of peppermint oil and fell back asleep. Mouth sore was gone by brunch time. 👍

badger - Thanks for all the Herb Alpert info! I love how the audience performed with him in support. ❤️

Minus - We still have some crackers! I remember reading that potato chip makers designed their chips so that it's difficult to eat just one. Maybe crackers are designed similarly? Think my kids found the secret formula for cookies. 😁

Some great isolation music 🎶.

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Serenity - was this an interior mouth sore like a canker sore? Or an exterior mouth sore like a cold sore? Either way, I'm interested to hear that peppermint oil is a possible solution. I have Eucalyptus oil & Tea Tree oil, but no peppermint.

Today my slice of joy was a picnic in the park with my nephew & his wife & 4 year old daughter. They drove up & brought a bucket of old fashioned, original, greasy KFC. Yes of course, with biscuits & coleslaw & mac & cheese. The kiddo brought her bike & loved riding the paths. She made lots of friends at the playground while we visited.

Looking forward to the Doobie Brothers.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Minus - I sometimes get interior mouth sores due to Ibrance. It was worse when I first started. Then I used a mild peroxide mouth wash a few times a day. Peppermint oil has so many uses, and it's one of the essential oils that can be used on your skin without a carrier oil. Your picnic sounds wonderful! We need to wait until May for the grass to dry. 🥶

• badger
    edited March 2021

Love that Doobie Bros video! They've still got it. Fun to see all the people singing the chorus at the end.

Glad to see that Patrick Simmons hasn't cut his hair. Here's another of their Live In Isolation videos.

So happy to hear Tom Johnston sing again. His voice is the sound of the Doobies for me. Did not like Michael McDonald as their lead vocalist.

Yesterday, I unpacked two more boxes of mom stuff, took another load to Goodwill, and finished my paperwork management project. All the loose stuff that was piled on flat surfaces is either filed or ready to be shredded. Next is going through the old records to see what can be destroyed. Also started going through closets to see what can be donated. We have stuff in boxes that were packed at least 20 years ago, judging by the dates on the newspapers that wrap some of the items.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

badger - Their isolation videos are some of the best I've seen. Good job decluttering! I need to do some of that, too.

Extra primo joy: our local ice cream shop that's open during the summer only in the Before Times has opened early with delivery! We got Coffee (new to menu) and Salted Caramel. Mixed together they taste like a frozen Caramel Macchiato. 😋❤️👍

• badger
    edited March 2021

MMMM sounds good. I don't shop at the Walmart much but it's the only place in town that carries Häagen-Dazs rum raisin. They're located near the Goodwill store so as I was driving home, I succumbed to temptation and popped in for a pint, which DH and I split after supper. 400 calories of bliss!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

badger - Life is too short to skimp on ice cream. Good choice! 😋

Slice 1: Anthony Hopkins dancing! https://twitter.com/AnthonyHopkins/status/13668306...

Slice 2: I opened a cabinet to get some dried plums (sounds better than prunes). Found my husband's stash of Lindt's hazelnut chocolate bar (the big kind). I may have taken a finder's fee. 😉

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Oh my - Ice cream Badger!! and Serenity - chocolate!!!

My slice of joy today was the hair dresser. I haven't had a hair cut in a YEAR. Started out 2020 with a sort of pixie I'd had since my hair grew back after chemo. I never had the patience to grow it out again, but COVID made that decision & it was a witchy looking & LONG. I had it trimmed back to shoulder length. Now it's bouncy - and looks like me again. The real pre-cancer me!!!

• badger
    edited March 2021

Minus, glad you are back to looking like yourself again. :-) I've been getting haircuts since my salon re-opened a few months ago. REALLY needed a trim that first time!

Serenity, you deserved that finder's fee. I have to be careful with chocolate since I am allergic to it. I can have a little but too much gives me croup-like symptoms. It's real but rare and gives medical people an unusual response when they ask if I have any allergies. White chocolate is OK since it's not really chocolate. So if I have chocolate, it must be worth it.

I adore Anthony Hopkins and will watch any movie he's in, even ones where he eats liver with chianti and fava beans. My faves are The World's Fastest Indian, about a determined motorcycle rider, and Meet Joe Black. He has a new one titled The Father and I want to see it but theaters are still closed here.

Yesterday's slice was discovering 2CELLOS. http://www.2cellos.com/ From the biography page: "Young Croatian cellists Luka Sulic and Stjepan Hauser, together known as 2CELLOS, continue to soar worldwide as music's most electric and dynamic instrumental duo, taking the cello to unimagined heights with their incredible talent and undeniable passion. Their playing style breaks down the boundaries between different genres of music, from classical and film music to pop and rock. 2CELLOS have no limits when it comes to performing live – equally as impressive playing Bach and Vivaldi as they are rocking out to AC/DC and Iron Maiden."

Mellow: Hallelujah

ROCK: Thunderstruck

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Minus - Looking like your pre-cancer self? Awesome! 🎉

badger - I love chocolate, but I also love white chocolate. Have you had white chocolate macadamia nut cookies? It's been some time since I made it, but one of our holiday dessert options is a white chocolate banana cream pie. There's white chocolate in the custard! I love Anthony Hopkins in anything. I love him in the Mask of Zorro. Thanks for the 2Cellos! They're fantastic!

Here's a cellist playing in an empty museum. It's so beautiful.

More on Camille Thomas:

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Thanks for Two Cellos. What a contrast !!!

Sorry - I'm allergic to macadamia nuts. But I'm sorry Badger is allergic to chocolate. That would be a major hardship for me.

Yes, Camille Thomas was hauntingly beautiful in the museums.

Free brass quintet concert on Saturday if anyone's interested. Have no idea what it will be like.

https://roco.org/live/

• badger
    edited March 2021

Serenity, I have had the white choc macadamia nut cookies from Pepperidge Farms but never made them myself. The banana cream pie sounds delish!

Minus, thanks for the free livestream concert link. My beloved Stoughton Opera House is starting livestream concerts on Thursday nights this spring. I saw the demo concert last week. It was great! There were more people watching online then the theater actually holds. I have tickets to see Rhonda Vincent and The Rage in April and Darrell Scott in May. They've been rescheduled twice and probably will be again. I miss live music!

Edit to add yesterday's slice: Got to see mom and am scheduled for a visit every Weds from now on. It's only 20 minutes but means so much to us both. I brought her a slice of apple pie last week and she raved about it to her buddies. They all wanted some. DH was an excellent son-in-law and made two apple pies for me to bring for her to share. The kitchen crew sliced them up and served as the dessert at lunch. Mom called later to say thanks and tell us how much everyone enjoyed the treat. Hope they don't get too used to this LOL.

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

That corn maze looks fun. Thanks for sharing. I love the story about your DH making pies for the whole bunchat your Mom's location.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Minus - Thanks for the concert link! I'm not allergic to any foods, but I just break out in fat when eating gluten. Why I fast.

badger - I love the Darrell Scott video. Think you'll have to bring more treats when visiting your mom. 😋

Yesterday we ran out of eggs before the weekly grocery run. My daughter made cake the night before using 3 eggs. Logically I needed to eat some chocolate cake for the eggs. A third of it. I restrained myself to a small slice. 😁

Here's the incredible Herbie Hancock version of Imagine:

• badger
    edited March 2021

The livestream concert last night was great! What a joy, for the audience and the performers. We ALL miss live music.

Love the HH video. Some great singers: P!nk, Seal, and India.Arie. I so wanted to see P!nk when her tour came through the Midwest but the closest she came was Chicago, which means an overnight hotel stay, plus the tickets were was crazy expensive. Friends who went said it was worth every penny. Here's her brand-new release, with her daughter!

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Just have to re-post this courtesy of Jazzy on the drinking thread. What a great early start to the weekend.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited March 2021

I love Anderson Paak!

• badger
    edited March 2021

Minus, Silk Sonic is very groovy. :-) Jazzy is on it; the single just came out on Friday!

Beautiful sunrise this morning, all soft pinks and blues.

Yesterday's slice was fun oldies on the radio while driving to visit MIL. This station plays stuff I haven't heard in years. The DJ played a 5th Dimension song Working on a Groovy Thing and it made me smile for several reasons. One it's a great song, two is discussion on this thread about the term groovy, and three is memories of buying my first LP record: The 5th Dimension's Greatest Hits.

ID7350a-The-Fifth-Dimension-Greatest-Hits-SCS-33900-vinyl-LP-us-m8s8

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited March 2021

Hi friends- MinusTwo told me about this thread and that she shared the Bruno/Anderson new release with you. This looks like a fun place to be. I have a newer FT job and not on BCO all that much (usually sometimes on the weekend), but added you to my favorites. The reason I am jazzygirl is I love and play jazz. Happy to join in on the fun here!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Jazzygirl - Welcome! Lately, it's been mostly music getting posted, but anything goes.

Thanks for the videos! I've had some trouble sleeping due to med changes. Made me a bit surly. Ok, more than a bit. 😉

It's late, but it's always Valentine's day.

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2021

Serenity- I hear you sister on the sleep thing. I have been up and down the past since some dental surgery and so I go on my phone to FB and find new music in the middle of the night. Hope you are sleeping better soon!

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Ah - Chet Baker and one of my very favorite songs. And all the fun dancing with the 5th Dimension. Welcome Jazzy!!

One of the first 45 records I bought was Elvis Presley 'Hound Dog". Purchased at Woolworths after I rode my bike to town. I really should get a stool and look at all the other 45s stashed in the top of my closet. I still have the LP (33-1/3) recording of "Brubeck at Storyville" that my brother & I bought for my Mom one Mother's Day. She would have preferred "Oklahoma", but we had just discovered jazz.

We had a record store across from my high school. With sound proofed listening rooms! Guess where I walked for lunch everyday?

Switching to poetry. Anybody else know Lawrence Ferlinghetti? I didn't realize he was still alive and just died at 101 this month. He was the proprietor of City Lights Booksellers & Publishers in the "beat" era. The store is still there on Columbus in San Francisco - and still wonderful to visit. While you're there, cross the alley to Vesuvio's Cafe (bar) and pull up a stool where Jack Kerouac drank with Ferlinghetti & Ginsberg. I had a HS English teacher who read us some of Ferlinghetti's poems. Our parents were shocked & scandalized. I just pulled a book of his poetry off my shelves and will see what I think 60 years down the road.

• badger
    edited March 2021

Welcome, Jazzy! I also love jazz. (Actually, I love all music except hard-core gangsta rap.)

Minus, the first 45 I bought was The Partridge Family I Woke Up In Love This Morning. When I asked for it, the guy behind the counter said congratulations. Didn't get his wit until I was older.

It's an absolutely gorgeous day! Not quite 60 but sunny and the warmest it's been in months. I feel like the girl in the Maxfield Parrish painting Ecstasy.

Took a walk then came home and opened the windows. Took down the outdoor Holiday decorations (fake greenery with little red glass balls). Now I'm dusting & vacuuming with the radio on. DH is playing poker today so no TV yay.

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2021

I bought myself some get well flowers recently for my dental surgery. They are now open 10 Days later