Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited March 2021

Badger - Kenny Rankin is one of my all time fav vocalists. I saw him twice, once back in college in the early 1980s. I had all his music & played it in my car on 8 track tapes. Then he was here in New Mexico around 1999 & save him again and also got to meet him & get a signed CD. Sad that we lost him awhile back 🙏

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2021

Today's slice of joy is picking out some samples for new granite counter tops. This may be the final choice

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited March 2021

Jazzy -- I like your choice!

My Slice of Joy today was (on a grey rainy day) taking my car in for overdue inspection. Found out I needed new brake pads and rotors (not a complete surprise). On the way home realized I just pulled out my card and paid! So nice to know I had the money in the bank and I didn't have to stress about it!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2021

badger - I love that version!

Jazzy - That's a beautiful slab. Excellent choice.

YeslamaDragon - Good job getting your brakes fixed. Glad you didn't have to worry about paying.

I saw that Cynthia Erivo is playing Aretha Franklin in National Geographic's Genius series. I don't currently subscribe to that channel, but I may need to subscribe temporarily. I love her voice.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

❤️🌞🎶

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited March 2021

Love that duo from two of my (local) favs. Below is an article from the local paper on Yo-Yo that will make you smile.

https://www.mediaite.com/entertainment/watch-after...

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2021

Jazzy, I never saw Kenny Rankin live but love his voice. He's a talented guitarist as well. Ditto James Taylor. Great video of JT with Yo-Yo Ma.

I always liked JT's voice with Carly Simon's. This video has some of their family pix through the years.

Today's slice of joy was a walk in the sun to the library after a long day sitting with my mom at a medical appointment.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited March 2021

LOVE Yo Yo Ma and James Taylor. And oh Badger - wonderful pictures of Carley Simon & James Taylor.

My slice of joy tonight was a virtual jazz concert by award winning pianist Sullivan Fortner recorded on a 9ft piano in the Steinway Hall in NYC

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Kayak - Yo-Yo Ma is a treasure!

badger - Love the video of James Taylor and Carly Simon. Hope all is well with your mom.

Minus - Nice concert.

Beautiful sunny day with my Sunday coffee.

Indoor plant care update: We're having more days above freezing. Aloes can feel it and are growing faster so I'm giving them a little more water. My little rosemary topiary didn't survive indoors, but the main rosemary plant is ok. For the first time ever I was able to get an orchid to rebloom! I'm also working on propagating succulents that have endured my years of neglect.

More songs of comfort by Yo-Yo Ma.

• badger
    edited March 2021

Yesterday's slice was an email from mom's AL place that face-to-face visits will be allowed starting next week. Most of their residents and staff have been vaccinated against COVID, infection rates are down statewide, and the CDC/WI Dept. of Health now allow for more relaxed rules. Still have to be screened and masked, and maintain physical distance, but I can visit in her apartment instead of in the lobby separated by plexiglass.

Happy first day of spring! Took a walk outside to celebrate the vernal equinox. Lots of people out walking, with or without dogs, and a couple girls were rollerblading.

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited March 2021

Lovely Serenity. Can't wait for the Boston Symphony to reappear this summer, live at Tanglewood (their summer home here in the Berkshires of Western MA) after no season last year. Yo-Yo frequently performs here. That would be a HUGE slice of joy, to sit on the massive lawn with a picnic and just take in the music in a wonderful setting. It is just magical and one of reasons I chose to be here over 20 yrs ago. Depending on the covid situation this summer, however, one might have to catch their live performances on local public radio, if it is hard to get a ticket due to limited / distanced seating restrictions, both in the huge open air shed or on the lawn - (not to mention being a bit gun shy of the crowds, which I am). Oh well, either way, it will be a treat.

If one is lucky, one can catch a glimpse of Yo-Yo or James Taylor (both have homes in the area) or some of the other notables around our small towns. (Taylor's Fourth of July concerts have been a mainstay at Tanglewood for years. They usually sell out within minutes. As of now, he is still scheduled to perform this year again, though many performers that are part of the Popular Artists series, have chosen to reschedule for the following year). A recent article naming the area as one of the state's top places to live (or visit), should bring even more crowds to the area from Boston and New York. I don't mind sharing the beauty and culture of the area with visitors, but much to my dismay, many of the New Yorkers who have fled the city due to covid and moved here to the suburbs, act like they are in vacation mode and just have to squeeze by you in the supermarket or other places, within an inch of you. Sad how many people are putting themselves and everyone else in jeopardy, with the possibility of increasing the restrictions as the infection rate rises...... I didn't mean to end on a negative note. Just frustrated.

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Thin slice of Joy today - Sara Bareilles – Saint Honesty

Or Orpheus. (...if the bottom drops out...)

One of the bad things about growing older w/o younger people constantly around is how much "new" music you miss. Glad I found this one.

And this from the same Theresa Zimmerman "studio session" - one of a series of virtual performances from a local theater: "Growing up means your personality dust settles".

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

badger - Great to see your mom in private! It's definitely warmer here. Kids are playing street hockey. I love the sound of kids playing. Pup is happy with all the smells coming out from under the melting snow.

Kayak - I love musical festivals. We have the Montreal Jazz Festival here. It was cancelled last year. This year it's postponed until ???. They usually have indoor ticketed events and outdoor public events.

Minus - Sara Bareilles is an incredible singer/songwriter. I've posted a couple of videos with her before. She's been on Broadway. Here's her duet with Sir Elton. ❤️🎶👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Have you heard of Hiromi? I've been so fortunate to have seen her live twice (so far). She is joy. 🎶👍🥰

• badger
    edited March 2021

Hiromi - wow! I will definitely see her if given the chance.

Sara Bareilles is so talented. After Sir Elton's comment about how he was blown away by her cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, I had to hear it. Here's a link.

She came to my attention in 2016 with Seriously, which imagined what Pres. Obama may have been thinking about the 2016 election but couldn't say publicly.

Yesterday's slice was an in-person visit with my mom. She is doing OK but looking so frail. Her arm isn't fractured from a fall last week fall TG but it's swelling due to post-stroke non-use so they have her in a compression sleeve. Brought her some bird feeding supplies: pole, feeder & seed. She was happy for the gift and the thought and will get pleasure from watching the birdies. Also brought some seasonal (artificial) wreaths and hung the one with spring birds & blooms on her door. She introduced us to a half-dozen people; having family visit is a big deal around there. The best part is I got a hug!! Will stick to a regular weekly visit on Weds but this was a bonus.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

badger - Hope your mom recovers swiftly. There was a tribute show for Elton John years ago. There were two performances that clearly moved him. One was Sara Bareilles performing that song and the other is Sam Smith performing "Daniel".

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Thanks & thanks & thank. All were spot on.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

👍

Worth watching multiple times. I've lost count (or never counted).

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

🤣 First time seeing this one!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

Zooming pups 🥰

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

New one today. 👍

• badger
    edited March 2021

I love Olive & Mabel! I sent their "Zoom meeting" video to a workgroup I was on. LOL

If you want more, here's a link to their human's youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBbISPrZy7SWtiy8Ta8lnA

This is one of my of my favorite sayings:

• badger
    edited March 2021

We had to change cable TV providers as ours stopped service here in Podunk. Went with a streaming service through our phone line versus a satellite dish. Very happy we did because I can re-watch The West Wing. I figure it will take me a month, doing four episodes a night and a few more during the weekend. I forgot how much I liked these characters and remember how I wanted a "Jed Bartlet for President" bumper sticker for my car!

Note for history buffs: Josiah Bartlett was a delegate to the Continental Congress and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Martin Sheen played Josiah "Jed" Bartlet, the American President on the TV show, which ran from 1999 to 2006.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2021

badger - Olive and Mabel became Twitter famous last year when their owner, a golf broadcaster, having no golf to broadcast, tweeted about his dogs in his golf broadcaster voice. He acknowledged his new followers did not care about golf. Dogs are the best! I'd love to watch The West Wing series. I've only seen a few episodes.

Yesterday was the last of some glorious spring days. I made brioche buns. Today it's gray and raining. I lit a candle.

• Phoenixrose8
    Phoenixrose8 Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2021

While driving around one day, I saw a man dressed up as a ninja turtle (nothing fancy, but pretty impressive to me who was obsessed with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a kid) and his wife (wearing a fake mustache, a beanie, and I think a scarf) walking with their stroller and child. I have no idea what the story is behind why they did this, but I thought, “You know what, if I had a child who asked me to dress up as something that makes them happy, I would do the exact same thing."

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2021

Today is my 61st birthday. My slice of joy is my birthday get away to some hot springs in Southern New Mexico

• badger
    edited March 2021

Happy Birthday, Jazzy! Last night's free "almost live" concert at the Stoughton Opera House was jazz: the Jon Hoel Trio. Very good!

Here's a link to their YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPQCE4Qz3m46E9-b5UIbMIQ

It was gray most of the day but the sun peeked out for a few minutes during my afternoon walk, which was glorious.

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Nice Badger.

Jazzy - Happy B-Day. Have a great trip. Is that Truth or Consequences? The contrasting water colors are amazing.

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2021

Minus Two - yes! Riverbend Hot Springs on the Rio Grande

• minustwo
    edited March 2021

Looking hard for a 'thin slice' today. Just been that kind of day. So I read this interesting snippet between Joe Picket and his teen age daughter Sheridan in the C.J.Box book Below Zero. Definitely food for thought.

(Sheridan says) "Do you think that the day you stop listening to new music is the day you decide you're on the path to old age? Like you've given up on the new stuff and you resign yourself to music you've already heard? Like you're through discovering and all you want to do is rummage through your old things?"