Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2021

I also love this thread. It is so needed with all the bad things we face like cancer, COVID, and politics.

Today's slice is soup stock. With apologies in advance to the vegetarians & vegans, we had roast chicken on Tues night, made enchiladas with the leftovers on Weds, and today I'm simmering a stock on the stove. I'll get a lot of meals out of that bird. House smells great and it's a good thing on a gray day.

The famed author Margaret Atwood was talking about the joys of birdwatching on public radio yesterday while I was driving to visit mom. Really enjoyable conversation. Here's a link to the segment: https://the1a.org/segments/margaret-atwood-jenny-odell-birdwatching/

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited April 2021

Oh oh - ear worm for the last couple of days. Nice ear worm, but still. Nina Simone - If You Go Away and in French no less. Trying to remember some of my HS French. I LONG time ago.

Thanks for the Atwood link Badger. And Serenity - always thanks for keeping this going.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited April 2021

Nina Simone is the best ear worm if you have to have one. This is a beautiful song and her rendition makes my heart sing. I don't speak French, Spanish was my HS language for 4 years, but I love to hear French spoken. Does anyone remember the films "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" or "A Man and a Woman" (a personal favorite)? I love this site even if I don't post often. TY SerenitySTAT for this site.

• minustwo
    edited April 2021

Oh yes Betrayal. We must be of an age. Glad to see you posting here.

What about Phaedra with Anthony Perkins and Melina Mecouri?

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited April 2021

Slice of Joy today- Phillip Bailey singing Reasons and serading a young woman from the audience. One of my fav videos and EWF is a fav group (if you want a good time, see them in concert if they come to your town-still great!)

• badger
    edited April 2021

Minus, to me, Anthony Perkins is forever Norman Bates. Not a romantic leading man.

Anyone with me on remembering Dominique by The Singing Nun from 1963 or Eres tΓΊ from 1973?

I have to call gentle soaking rain as my slice of joy for the weekend. It's so dry elsewhere but we've had two days of rain. There were enough breaks in the rain on Friday to sneak in a walk but it was steady on Sat. Still raining today but not hard enough to worry about flooding.

Jazzy, I love Earth, Wind & Fire!

• minustwo
    edited April 2021

ONG Badger. Even 50 years later I think about Norman Bates at least twice a week when I get in the shower. I didn't think of him as a leading man in Phaedra (although I suppose he was). I thought of him as a spoiled kid. Oh my goodness - the Singing Nun.

Love the gentle rain. Send some down here. Love EWF. Thanks Jazzy.

My slice of joy today - the color I picked to paint the main walls in my house is working - Sherwin Williams "Beach House".

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited April 2021

Loving all the posts! EWF is groovy. Nina Simone is awesome (though Billie Holiday is my first choice). Margaret Atwood is so good. We saw her here when she released her last book. She was full of great snark.

Nice weather here, but stricter curfew started due to covid. ☹️ Glad we don't live downtown.

Spinner dolphins are so joyful. We went on a wild dolphin tour once. They start their swim from deep in the ocean to surface and actually spin in the air.

• betrayal
    edited April 2021

While we were in South Africa we took a whale watch tour that used drones to track the Southern right whales and their calves. It projected the whale sightings on large screen monitors so we could see them very clearly and without the pushing and shoving one normally encounters on these tours. Also, none of the "hogging of good spots" we had previously encountered for photo ops. We got to see them breach as well. We had seen Northern right whales while on a whale watch tour in New England so this was a double treat to see the species from two hemispheres.

On our cruises we would usually have dolphins that would follow the ships and play in the wake. Fascinating creatures and comical as well.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

I would love to see whales! Our dolphin tour was on a small boat with fewer than 20 tourists. The tour guides were marine biologists who knew the dolphin hot spots. They took us to 3, and we got in the water with snorkeling gear. There were so many dolphins. You could see them swimming underneath you going to and from the shore. Then they disappeared. As you looked for them, they would appear from the depths of the ocean swimming straight up. They seemed to be competing on who could get the most airtime or make the biggest splash. They were all spectacular!

• jazzygirl
    edited April 2021

Slice of joy - neighbors lilacs that make my whole yard aromatic

• minustwo
    edited April 2021

Lovely Lilacs. My grandmother always had lilacs. They don't do well in Houston.

CrapeMyrtles are called "Lilac of the South", but they don't have the same lovely, haunting smell.

• badger
    edited April 2021

The lilacs are budding in the back yard. Love that scent all the more because the blooms are so fleeting. Here for a few weeks then gone for another year.

Speaking of fleeting, I heard an interview about the 17-year cicadas hatching this year as Brood X (i.e., ten) and there will be billions. We may be too far north but am expecting a lot of news coverage when they finally emerge and sing. https://earthsky.org/earth/17-year-cicadas-broodx-2021

Yes, I am a science nerd. :-)

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,464
    edited April 2021

Jazzygirl, so fun!

Keep them coming Winking

• minustwo
    edited April 2021

badger - OH NO. The cicada cycle!!! We'll be inundated. Unless we're lucky and the "big freeze" in Houston killed them in mid cycle.

• badger
    edited April 2021

Took mom to see the doc yesterday. Her doc is so nice, we both like her. On the way to mom's, I was driving on a divided 4-lane highway. I travel in the right lane but moved into the left lane to let someone merge in from an on-ramp. There was a car traveling in the left lane far behind me but I didn't realize how fast it was going. The driver came up fast, whipped around me, almost hit the merging vehicle, and zoomed away. I thought, if there's justice in the world today, there will be a speed trap ahead. (I go fast but not excessively so, and travel this road a lot so know 1) how fast I can go without getting pulled over and 2) where the cops like to lurk.) Imagine my delight when a few minutes later, I passed by a state trooper's car with lights flashing and the jerk pulled over on the side of the road. There was justice in the world.

• minustwo
    edited April 2021

Thanks for that piece of good news for the day. Justice!!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

badger - πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

I had a telemed appointment with my primary this morning. Good timing due to a rash and eye irritation I'm having. I think she may be a telepath and prognosticator. I had been thinking that I should make an appointment with her, then shortly received an email with an appointment that just happened when I've been having symptoms that may need meds. Coincidence? Of course it is.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

Weather had been great. Now going through typical cold, gray, rainy days. James Taylor and Yo-Yo Ma promise the return of the sun.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

After spending the week pestering my MO and my 2 pharmacies, I have a legit appointment tomorrow to get my covid vaccine!

• badger
    edited April 2021

Serenity, hurray for persistence and luck!

It's an absolutely gorgeous day. Sunny & warm with a clear blue sky. My friend from North Carolina would call it a Carolina blue sky. I would call it cerulean.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited April 2021

Although I do not post on this thread very often, it is one of my favorites as it is upbeat. Finally got caught up on previous posts - so many good ones! Here is my rather long reply post.

I remember listening to "Ne Me Quitte Pas" as sung by the songwriter, Jacques Brel. The clip of Nina Simone's version led me to YouTube for a listen & also to hear her divine version of "I Put A Spell On You" (great arrangement & backup band). "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and "A Man and a Woman" are in my memory banks as well. I have fond memories of dear daughter and I watching "Umbrellas of Cherbourg", when I found it at our local library.

"Eres Tu" was another favorite (had to give it a listen on YouTube, too). "Dominique" - Yes! Not sure why, but I can remember the whole first verse: Dominique, nique, nique / S'en allait tout simplement / Routier, pauvre et chantant / En tous chemins / En tous lieux / Il ne parle que du Bon Dieu / Il ne parle que du Bon Dieu.

"September" by Earth, Wind and Fire has always been a great "pick me up" tune.

Cicadas - Experienced these for the 1st time 17 yrs ago (in greater Cincinnati, OH area). As a joke, I purchased something called "The Cicadanator" (looks like a badminton racquet). Here is a photo of its cover. So, I am ready for the emergence!

Whales and dolphins - Lovely to hear of everyone's "tales". Have seen dolphins on numerous trips to SC & FL. Saw whales in Stellwagen Bay (near Boston) - two were "playing" and 1st one would broach, then the other - also were whacking their dorsal fins on the water - incredible! Saw killer whales and porpoises in Kenai, Alaska. Isn't wildlife remarkable?

Lilacs - sweet memories of my childhood home. Love them!

Such great memories, and thanks to all for bringing them to mind!

• badger
    edited April 2021

CeliaC, your recall of the lyrics to Dominique is much better than mine. I could only remember Dominique, nique, nique.

Good news for us but not the neighborhood woodpeckers: the tree service took down a giant dead ash tree in our yard yesterday. Unfortunately, the emerald ash borer is here. It's only a matter of time for all the ash trees in the city. This tree has been dropping branches and didn't bud out this year. The woodpeckers were stripping it of bark and it was a big mess. I would have kept it for the bird habitat but it was a danger to our house and the neighbor's. We were both apprehensive of another summer storm season with it lurking over our homes. It came very close to crashing down when we had the derecho wind storm last year. Now, our yard will get more sun, better for flowers. A friend plans to divide his bed of iris rhizomes so we will take as many as he gives us. We'll plant colorful annuals for the summer and tulip bulbs this fall.

• betrayal
    edited April 2021

When we were in Alaska for vacation we took a seaplane trip to a bear preserve (which we viewed from a boat). On the way out, the pilot spotted a pod of beluga whales and flew lower so we could see them. It was a rather large pod and just absolutely breathtaking to see them. I had seem them in aquariums but there is something so totally different about seeing them in their natural habitat. On the way back, the next pilot spotted a moose below us and flew down so we could see it run from above. We had previously seen them from a distance at ground level but not in motion. They can move!

A friend of ours husband had been stationed in Alaska and had off base housing. She befriended a moose who came every day for a "handout". When they were transferred to Hawaii, they forgot to tell the new homeowners that the house came with a moose. She always wondered how that first meeting went since it would stand on the deck and faceplant on the slider doors.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

badger - It's a glorious partly sunny day here. We had a few ash trees taken down last summer. Irises would be a nice replacement for you. They're so pretty.

Celia - I'll have to look up those movies. Never seen them.

Betrayal - Love the moose story. I've never seen bears or moose in person. The biggest creature I've seen in the wild is a black tip shark. I got out of the ocean as calmly and swiftly as I could. 😁

Got my first covid vaccine (Moderna) this morning at my oncology pharmacy. I had never been there because they always deliver my meds. The nurse was fantastic. She asked if I had surgery, asked which side, and noted the Xgeva injections. Then immediately offered to give the injection in my thigh. It's so nice not having to explain. πŸ‘

• jazzygirl
    edited April 2021

My slice of joy today is RAIN! The area I live in here in New Mexico has not had any a moisture for something like 75 days. Sometimes it just goes around us here in Albuquerque as we are "heat sink". But tonight, it is a cold and soaking rain and supposed to rain all night into tomorrow.

So grateful for moisture Heart

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

My thigh is sore! Must be proof the injection was in my muscle. Forgot to mention that at yesterday's vaccination, there were 3 people ahead of me. I arrived 10 minutes ahead of my appt, but the others were even more early. I was moved to the front of the line. 😁

I've been adding cinnamon to my coffee every day. It is especially good in my Sunday coffee. πŸ‘

• jazzygirl
    edited April 2021

Serenity- soreness at the site of the Covid injection is a pretty common thing. I had mine in my left arm both times and it was sore for a few days. Hopefully you won't have much of anything else from your vax.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

Thanks, Jazzy. It's pretty sore, but I don't think I have more side effects than I already have from current meds. Glad it's my leg to give my arm a break. I did take some Tylenol.

We had ice cream delivered from our local ice cream shop: Chocolate Hazelnut, Oreo, and Salted Caramel. πŸ˜‹