Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited March 2021

Slice of joy - spa afternoon

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2021

PhoenixRose - That's a lucky child you noticed!

Jazzy - Happy Birthday! Wish we were there!

badger - We were spoiled by several beautiful days in a row. Now regular Montreal spring is back. This time with less mud.

Minus - Some days are hard, aren't they? At times a cool glass of water is enough. I do tend to prefer old music, but it's probably because the old music available is the cream of the crop. I hear new music, and most of it doesn't appeal. But there are some good ones.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2021

Minus, I had a blah day on Sat as well. My thin slice of joy on Sat was a visit with my MIL. Brought her tuna noodle casserole, sweet seedless grapes, and peanut butter pie. She is so appreciative of the company and the food. Came home through rain and plopped on the couch to binge-watch The West Wing. It didn't stop raining until this morning. Did some errands today then got outside for a walk in the afternoon sun despite the cold & wind. Had an email from my health care company saying I'm eligible for a COVID vaccination and please sign up. It's in a month but I don't care. It's scheduled and I'm a happy badger.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited March 2021

Nice Leslie Odom. Sorry about the rain Badger but glad you got to see your MIL.

Well darn - I missed my virtual Bach Society concert this afternoon. Hope it will be available tomorrow. But I had a lovely hour LONG conversation with my niece. I haven't seen her since we went to CA together in 2019. She'll be 40 this year. She doesn't often have time to talk since she has two boys 4 & 6 and a property full of horses & sheep & chickens & goats & 4-6 dogs & fish & etc. Not to mention she has a full time job.

• badger
    edited March 2021

Minus, that is one busy person! Glad you found time to chat with your niece.

The sun is out and the grass is greening up. Taking a load of stuff to my mom this morning. She finally wants her CD player/radio and CDs. Wanting music is good!

There were some Girl Scouts at the store yesterday when I popped in for milk so I have the Thin Mints mom was craving. Oh, and a box for us, too LOL.

My SIL took this pic a few years ago when she and her daughter (my niece) were out selling GS cookies.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited March 2021

Badger, that sign totally rocks!

• badger
    edited March 2021

Yesterday's slices were a visit to my mom, where I helped her set up her CDs and boombox (she plans to blast classical music LOL), and a call from my doc's office. They have COVID vaccinations appt's here in town so am getting first jab locally this Friday instead of in Madison on 28 April. Second dose is in a month so I think I'm getting the Moderna vaccine.

• minustwo
    edited April 2021

Two slices of joy. Yesterday the complete re-piping of my house was finished. Everything is in a mess but it's done.

Tonight listening to a Mercury Baroque concert that includes some of the Bach Goldberg Variations, Grieg's Holberg Suite and Holst St. Paul's Suite. I don't remember ever hearing any Holst before except The Planets. Some of the Grieg I remember playing in piano lessons in Jr Hi & Hi School (Grieg arranged for beginners). What a lovely hour.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

I'm so glad to see your posts. I feel broken by some of the latest news. I've been potting up some propagations and scrubbing the oven grates. I took some martial arts classes while in college. I only got to a green belt, but I decided to practice some of the floor exercises. Feeling pleasantly sore and relieved some stress.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited April 2021

Aw Serenity I’m just catching up here and am so sorry to hear you were struggling to find the joys today. I have moved a few things around in my garden this afternoon (couple of small bushes were just in the wrong places, now they are in the right places) and also last week I bought some delphiniums and planted them at the back, and they seem to be doing really well which has given me the most enormous pleasure. Also my husband got his vaccination today, and my mother is having her second one on Tuesday, and summer is coming! When my daughter was little and the news came on the radio she always used to call it the bad news. Sometimes I don’t look at the news at allfor a few days, it’s quite a relief. Hope you feel a bit jollier tomorrow. I am sending loving kindness to you my friend. X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

ScotBird - Thank you so much! I'm better today. Thrilled your family is getting vaccinated. We're still waiting here. It snowed yesterday, but the new snow melted quickly. There are a few mounds of murky snow here and there.

I have good news on my pandemic plant care project: I'm no longer a plant killer.

My first orchid rebloom on an old spike:

My first new spike in bud! No idea what the blooms will look like.

I have a third orchid that is growing leaves and lots of roots.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited April 2021

SerenitySTAT: Easiest way to clean oven grates is to put them in large leaf bag (plastic) and then wearing a mask use Easy Off Oven cleaner. Spray liberally, seal bag and let sit for at least 24 hours or longer if you can. When you finally remove them from the bag, you should just have to rinse well and maybe use mininal elbow grease to remove a tougher deposit. Owe this ro a friend who shared it many moons ago and it is the only way I clean my oven racks.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

Betrayal - I've read about that method, but I'm super sensitive to strong cleansers. Instead I use baking soda in the rinse mode of my dishwasher (upper tray out) to help loosen the crud. Still needs some elbow grease, but the slightest whiff of oven cleaners hurts my airway.

• badger
    edited April 2021

Pretty orchids, Serenity. Glad your thumb is getting greener. Elbow grease is how our mothers and grandmothers cleaned house!

I'm having some issues with mom's insurance company so struggled a bit myself with finding joy this week. Several good things happened, though: my TV-addicted DH got a part-time job so will be out of the house three days a week. I get some solitude and a smaller dose of toxic news. Got my first COVID jab yesterday then walked in the sun. I had stocked up on queasiness supplies just in case but (knock wood) am feeling OK this morning. It's supposed to be very nice today, sunny and warm. There was a goldfinch at the bird feeder. I just love them. All that bright yellow is so cheerful.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

badger - I've had a black thumb forever. It's only this past year that I've gotten better. I have 3 surviving orchids, but based on the number of orchid pots, I've killed at least 4. Hope your insurance issues are fixed. I hear you on solitude. My whole family is home, but I do miss having the place to myself and my pup. She doesn't complain when I play music loudly. 😁 Yay to getting your first shot! Still waiting here.

I may need to search the area for the bunny assassin's eggs. For the dogs.

• minustwo
    edited April 2021

Thin slice for today - Chris Isaac "Wicked Game".

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited April 2021

MinusTwo - Oh, yes. I have a bookmarked YouTube of him performing this song live and it is outstanding!

Serenity - Loved the dog message! Bunny assassins - ha, ha, ha! Sounds like a good name for a band!

• badger
    edited April 2021

Bunny assassins! Who knew? Chocolate really is bad for dogs.

Felt OK on Saturday but was so fatigued on Sunday it felt like my legs wouldn't support me. So, I rested. Rain yesterday was beneficial for the daffodils that are blooming and the perennials that are just coming up. Looks to be a good year for lupines. They've been self-seeding and we have a dozen baby plants now. It's still too cold for annuals. We usually wait until Mother's Day, which is 9 May in the U.S. this year.

Today's slice is voting in the spring election. I have voted in every election I've been eligible for since I turned 18 so my streak is 40+ years. Will head out after breakfast.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

Minus - That guy is good!

Celia - Does sound like a band name. Punk, grunge, ?

badger - Hope you feel better soon. Good job voting!

My conversion from plant killer to plant whisperer continues to go well. I have kept a rosemary plant alive indoors over the winter, another first. After a few days outside, it looks so much happier. I moved an aloe arborescens outside today. Keeping its pups inside until repotting. The aloe vera has to wait a little longer. My little propagations from succulents that somehow had managed to survive are growing. 👍

• betrayal
    edited April 2021

Love Nina Simone and heard this tonight. Love it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oLjVmy8Fo

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

Betrayal - Were you watching New Amsterdam?. It's a beautiful song.

• minustwo
    edited April 2021

I love anything by Nina Simone.

• badger
    edited April 2021

It was a gorgeous morning for a walk to the polling place. Glad I went before it got hot & humid. There's a Little Free Library en route. It's taken down for the winter but is back up. Yay!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

In Quebec I'll be eligible for the covid vaccine starting Monday!

It has to be done by my doctor at the hospital. I wonder if the hospitals were told beforehand. I just emailed my MO about it, a new rash, and whether I should pause Ibrance for the vaccine or rash. Don't know when I'll actually get the shot, but knowing I'm eligible is still good.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,464
    edited April 2021

We love this thread! Thank you for providing your thin slices of joy over the years Medicating

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited April 2021

Me too, thanks Serenity this thread is the best. My joy this week is that a pair of blue tits are nesting in a tree right outside my window where I can watch the. They fly in and out with bits of bark and moss. It’s lovely to watch them. I can’t wait until they have fledglings.

• betrayal
    edited April 2021

SerenitySTAT: Yes, I was watching New Amsterdam. I love Nina Simone and only wish I had the opportunity to see her live.

Glad you can finally get the Covid vaccine. I am scheduled for my second Pfizer shot tomorrow.

My joy this week is that my dog who had glaucoma and resulting blindness in her left eye, survived surgery for removal of the eye that they felt had a potential for cancer due to recent changes in its appearance. She had an adverse reaction to anesthesia for a teeth cleaning several years ago and they were unable to perform the cleaning then. We were told at that time she should never have general anesthesia again. I explained this to the ophthalmology surgeon and they came up with an older anesthesia (not currently used) approach that worked. She has an Elizabethan collar, antibiotics and nice pain meds that are contributing to her softly snoring as I write this. She is scaring the bejesus out of the cats with the collar and they are staying clear of her. Nice thing is they are not stealing her beds as a result.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

Mods - Thank you for saying so! When there are stretches of posts only by me I wonder if it's time to stop.

ScotBird - Always a pleasure to see you. We started in the same chemo group, the Fab Febs of 2016. 😁 One of these days I should learn more about birds.

Betrayal - Aww, I hope your pup's recovery goes smoothly. Those collars make them so sad.

Well, I really appreciate my MO. I sent an email at noon today. He emailed me back an hour ago asking for a pic of my rash (that my pup photo-bombed). Benadryl cream ok. No need to pause Ibrance at all. Diplomatically, he said the government was "not explicit" about how I'm to get the vaccine. I suspected the hospitals weren't informed. No worries. I have a plan. If he doesn't get details, I'll weasel my way in next week to my hospital's vax site. I may have some experience getting into places in not the most straightforward of ways. 😇😈

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited April 2021

Slice of Joy for today- whenever i am having a hard day/week with work, I watch this. You will have a hard time picking your favorite but this is guarunteeed to make you smile!