Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited April 2021

Serenity - Your ice cream delivery sounds heavenly. Glad you were able to get your jab. For me, the 1st one was no pain, no side effects; but the 2nd one caused a sore arm, headache and feeling pretty puny for 24 hours. I did take Tylenol as well, but only for the 2nd one. It is such a relief to have some immunity!

I saw the following in one of my Facebook groups and thought I would post here for everyone's (hopefully) thin slice of joy/amusement.

May be an image of 6 people and text that says 'Be kind to yourself Be kind to others Be kind to animals Be kind to Earth Be kind of weird Read a book'

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited April 2021

Celia - Yes, the ice cream is so good. Just had another bowl. Love the meme. I want Burton to be the new Jeopardy host. After encouraging kids to read for so long, he's the obvious choice.

Vax shot no longer hurting, but my rash is taking its time healing. Glad I'm on my week off Ibrance. Ice cream helps.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2021

CeliaC, great meme! Amazingly, I can name all the men above: Bob Ross, Fred Rogers, John Denver, David Attenborough, Weird Al Yankovic, and LeVar Burton.

I haven't seen any of the guest hosts on Jeopardy but would give my vote to Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers quarterback. Gotta support the home team, eh?

• celiac
    edited April 2021

badger - Congrats on knowing all the men! Aaron Rodgers did a fantastic job (my favorite so far, and very easy on the eyes) and ratings spiked when he hosted. There was one question where the answer was "Who are the Green Bay Packers?" and none of the contestants knew the answer. He was so bummed!

Currently, the guest host is Anderson Cooper. Hubs and I watch Jeopardy every night, faithfully. We love to test our knowledge, especially with the Final question. Always surprised when one of knows the answer and the contestants do not.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited April 2021

Badger: The one you think is John Denver is actually Steve Irwin (the one with the crocodile): Be kind to animals one. Good on all the others.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

Betrayal is correct, though they do look similar. Steve Irwin was the "Crocodile Hunter".

It has to be LeVar Burton. After assigning all the reading, it's time for the test. Everything is on the test!

We have snow!

• betrayal
    edited April 2021

The blonde, shaggy hair does make them look similar. Loved John Denver and my favorite song was "Annie's Song". My DH took me to one of his concerts but unfortunately we had seats in the nosebleed section (only thing higher was some pigeons and the guy working the lights). Fortunately, they had a huge screen that projected him and some amazing backdrops geared to each song; otherwise he was ant size. Another one who died too young.

• badger
    edited April 2021

Crikey! It's Steve Irwin. LOL

• betrayal
    edited April 2021

Love the Aussie accent, Badger. Good on ya.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited April 2021

Betrayal - we took my son about age 10 and his friend to see John Denver. I agree about nosebleed seats, but the biggest problem was all the pot smoke. Back in the day, you could still smoke cigarettes inside everywhere - although grass was illegal. We were high before he started singing 'Rocky Mountain High'.

Serenity - SNOW??? Oh my goodness. Has your rash finally calmed down?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

Minus - Yes, it snowed all day the other day. It accumulated on the grass. There was a little bit of snow on the stoop when I checked the mail. The mailman was wearing shorts. 😁 Still have the rash. About to brine myself now.

Whatever else is happening, it's coming out orchids here! Blooms on new spike. Don't remember when I got this orchid, but first rebloom.

• badger
    edited April 2021

Beautiful orchid!

My slice for today is an invitation for a job interview on Monday. Some of you may know my mom had a stroke and is in assisted living. It's good care but very expensive and none of us is made of money. If I can help with the bills, I will un-retire.

• celiac
    edited April 2021

Serenity - Lovely orchid photo!

Well, it was 70 here on Tuesday afternoon and on Wednesday morning awoke to 2.3" of snow. Luckily, it dissolved in the afternoon. Wild spring weather here in the greater Cincinnati, OH area. We had a couple of very cold, freeze warning nights. However, by next Tuesday, the high will be 82!

Badger - More good luck wishes on the job interview (already wished you well on another thread). Assisted living is very costly, but glad you were able to find a good level of care for your Mom.

• betrayal
    edited April 2021

MinusTwo: When I went to see Jesus Christ Superstar (for the first time in concert) with my BFF (at that time) two guys were sitting in our seats and refused to move. She was a bit scrappy and asked politely but when they refused she grabbed the one guy by the front of his shirt and told him he would be singing soprano in the future if he did not haul ass. I was so taken aback all I could do was watch. The usher showed up, checked the tickets and told them to move or to leave. Seems they were not even in our row but thought the aisle seats were theirs by occupying them first. They moved and then all of a sudden "roaches" appeared from out of nowhere and we all left with a contact high by shows end. The next time I saw JCSS it did not have the same impact. LOL

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

badger - Good luck with your interview!

Celia - Wild weather here too. My husband just took the patio furniture out.

Betrayal - I love weird concert stories.

Sunny day today!

• minustwo
    edited April 2021

Wilson Pickett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my, which is my favorite? Maybe The Midnight Hour.

• betrayal
    edited April 2021

Okay, many moons ago my DD and her then BF decided to take the moms to a Moody Blues concert for a Mother's Day gift. I was a long time fan but wasn't sure about the other mom. On the drive there, the other mom mentioned that it had been a long time since she had been to a concert and when I asked which was her last concert, she nonchalantly mentioned it was the Monkees. I just about had a car accident and had to suppress laughter because they had not been in vogue for ages. Even the Moody Blues were not my DD's contemporaries. All enjoyed the concert and the other mom did mention she needed to get out more!

• betrayal
    edited April 2021
  • betrayal
    edited April 2021

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited April 2021

Thanks for this thread, SerenitySTAT! I've been following along since the start. Today's slice of joy was getting my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

Pi-Xi - Great to hear from you! Hope you have minimal side effects. I wish I got Pfizer. My existing rash just got worse after the Moderna shot. It's not as itchy, but still unpleasant. I need more ice cream!

Betrayal - While I like the Moody Blues, I'm partial to the Monkees due to watching them on TV while a kid. The Monkees released albums after the Moody Blues stopped. The latest Monkees release is a 2018 Christmas album. I loved this 2016 song the first moment I heard it.

My last concert was Hiromi, a jazz pianist. She's incredible. I prefer smaller venues. My last large venue concert was R.E.M. It wasn't as enjoyable as the first time I saw them in a standing room only auditorium. Afterwards, most of the band hung out to speak to fans. This was shortly before they were played on conventional radio stations. Good times!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited April 2021

My last concert was Harry Connick Junior in March 2020. Hubba hubba 🤠

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2021

😍

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited April 2021

Slice of joy literally - my fav pizza place is open again

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Yum - looks much better than the Naan pizza I made this week.

• badger
    edited May 2021

The violets are in bloom!

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

I have a new tall toilet installed & working.

• badger
    edited May 2021

Minus, we installed a tall toilet when we put in a 2nd bathroom. So nice I'd like to replace the shortie in the old bathroom but it still works so can't justify the expense.

Had my second COVID shot on Friday. No S/E until last night when I got a headache that hasn't gone away yet. It's worth it to be fully vaccinated.

• badger
    edited May 2021

We had rain on Mon & Tues - yay! Weeded the flower beds this morning. The lilacs are just starting to bloom.

A friend sent a link to a website with unusual pics. I really liked this one, of a snail drinking from a bubble.

Will post some more through the week.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited May 2021

Love the picture badger. I planted some grass seed last Friday as my lawn had lots of big bare patches, and it has been raining here too, which is fabulous as it means I haven’t needed to water. I have been lookingout of the window at least ten times a day to see if it’s growing yet.