Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited May 2021

Badger- I love that. I have to find a similar one of ants drinking from a drop of water. Equally as cool!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2021

It's raining again today but I can see blue sky on the horizon.

Here's a pic of a plant expelling excess water from its leaf pores. New word: it's called guttation. My philodendron houseplants sometimes do this from the tips of the last leaf on the stem after I water and they drink too deep.

• badger
    edited May 2021

It's a sunny day, a bit windy but nice & cool. Last week's 90s were too much, too early.

This is what the sun looks like when shot in Ultraviolet. Kinda groovy, eh?

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2021

Slice of Joy- we have been super dry here in NM, more so than normal in our high desert climate. Nice surprise thunderstorm this afternoon that brought rounds of rain to our parched city and around the state too. I cannot even begin to express how grateful I have learned to be for rain!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited May 2021

Beaver - we must be of the same generation. Groovy indeed. !!

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Oh my - I didn't realize the flip side of that song when first released was "I Am A Rock". Good memories.

• badger
    edited May 2021

Minus, I still have some 45s and one of those adapters to play them on a turnstile. It's interesting to see what's on the flip side of a single.

Hubby and I went out for supper last night - Friday fish fry, a Midwest tradition. First time in more than a year that we've eaten in a restaurant.

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Badger - I too have a box of maybe twenty-five 45 records. (even an original Elvis "Hound Dog" and an a couple of original Beatles 45s.)

There is a specialty store here called "The Vinyl Edge". l have sold LP records there before. I also bought 45 story records for my grand niece. I gave her a small portable "suitcase" record player a couple of years ago - since 3 & 4 was the age my son loved playing his own records. I also gave her all of his "story" records that I had saved (Three Little Pigs, Tubby the Tuba, Marlo Thomas "You & Me", etc and lots of Disney 45 records with story "books").. The store also sell the plastic converters for 45's just like your picture. It was interesting teaching a 4 year old how to insert them in the center of the 45s. And how to change the speed on the record player from 33-1/3 to 45.

• badger
    edited May 2021

Minus, I have my 45s in a hot pink carrying case that is "vintage 1960s" going for $45 on Ebay and $65 on Etsy. OMG Really?

• badger
    edited May 2021

Jazzy, I just finished reading The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah. It's centered on a family affected by the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. Really makes me appreciate rain!

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2021

Slice it joy -hanging out with a good friend today on her patio

• badger
    edited May 2021

Jazzy, what a nice patio!

I am glad the Chinese space junk crashed into the ocean "safely" and no one was hurt. There is way too much junk floating around in space. A few months ago, I witnessed a train of SpaceX Starlink satellites that had been recently launched and were orbiting in a line. It was so weird. Getting internet to everyone around the world is a laudable goal but at what cost? More space junk, interference with existing satellites, and harder to accurately observe the night sky.

Anyone remember Skylab? It fell to Earth in July of 1979. I was a college student working a summer job at a clothing store, and we had a Skylab sale. Our manager made us wear pith helmets wrapped in aluminum foil, as if that would help. The pieces fell into the southeastern Indian Ocean and across western Australia. A small Aussie town fined NASA $400 for littering. (The fine was paid in 2009 by a DJ in California who collected donations from his listeners.)

https://www.space.com/skylab-space-station-fall-40-years.html

• badger
    edited May 2021

That said, here is a pic of sunset from space.

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2021

Not much of a fan of new music, but this song struck a chord and it is very topical Cheekface with We Need a Bigger Dumpster.

https://youtu.be/cSrxBGmvYLU

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2021

Badger- I too was in college in 1979 and remember the SpaceLab thing! I was working in retail then too, a store called Shoe Town! Ah the memories.....

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited May 2021

jazzgirl that is a heck of a pretty patio!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited May 2021

Seeing all your posts while I've been handling my Moderna rash. ❤️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2021

I'm a child of the 80s. Heard bits of an old song used in a commercial, and it brought back memories of being out dancing with friends.

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2021

Slice of Joy- not sure if you know about Snarky Puppy, a group that formed from the North TX State music program that is one of the best in the country. All former students that got together and went big about 8 years ago internationally. Now based out of NYC.

They are the bomb!

• badger
    edited May 2021

Serenity, sorry to hear you got the rash. I got what they call "COVID arm" from my second Moderna jab. Itchy red lump at the injection site. It was gone in a week.

Here's one from my way back: a Long Island band called the Good Rats and a song from 1974 called Tasty. Their lead singer reminds me of Burton Cummings.

• badger
    edited May 2021

Continuing with the theme of cool and unusual pix, here's one of sunset above the clouds.

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Jazzy - absolutely can not sit still listening to Snarky Puppy. Wow Badger - nice shot. My son is a commercial pilot and occasionally sends me pix from 30,000 feet of clouds, mountains, lakes, glaciers, etc.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2021

badger - Yup, I got the covid thigh along with rashes on both lower legs, non-LE arm, neck, chest, forehead, and eye area. At least I've stopped leaking lymphatic fluid. It's been gross. Gone through lots of Benadryl, antibacterial ointment, aloe, and calendula cream. Sleep has been messed up.

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Oh goodness Serenity. You really did have a reaction. I guess I was thinking it was just your thigh. Sorry for what you're going through.

• badger
    edited May 2021

Yikes, Serenity, what a strong reaction. No wonder it's taking so long to recover.

How about a nice cool water pic? This is what it looks like under a breaking wave.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited May 2021

Oh no Serenity that sounds terrible, I’m sending healing thoughts your way. Rashes are horrible. It’s hard to notice joy when you’ve got that going on. Hope it’s calming down now.

i planted grass seed on my bare patches on the lawn a couple of weeks ago and it has all germinated today. Miraculous tiny blades or grass coming up everywhere. Lovely X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2021

Thanks, everyone. It's calming down, but still there and itchy. Badger, I want to dive into that picture!

Chocolate helps.

• badger
    edited May 2021

ScotBird, yay for tiny shoots of grass. We had an ash tree taken down recently. We would have left it up for wildlife habitat but it was unstable and endangered our house and the neighbor's garage. It almost came down last summer when we had a derecho wind storm. The tree removal company ground out the stump, put grass seed down, and covered it with straw. I've been watering daily since it's been so dry. Looking forward to tiny shoots in my yard, too.

Here's a song starring grass: "Bending Blades" one of my faves written by Tim O'Brien and performed by Hot Rize. (I own every one of their CDs and have seen them in concert at least a dozen times. Even traveled to North Carolina a few years ago to see them perform at a bluegrass music festival.)

Serenity, glad the itchy rash is calming down. Here's another cool pic of clover beneath Sequoia trees.

I started my Spring cleaning yesterday. Deep-cleaned the back part of the house: a bathroom, the laundry room, back porch, and basement stairs. Tackling the kitchen today. It's hard work but love the results.
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2021

I'm also thrilled with seeing new signs of plant growth. 😁 I've been propagating indoor plants. I'm surprised by the number of succulents I have that were barely alive that now look better. I don't even know what some of them are.

Love Sequoias. I remember being surprised it wasn't buggy walking amongst them. Hate mosquitoes.

Had my Xgeva and port flush early. The clinic asked if I would swap appointments with someone who wouldn't get their meds until this afternoon. Having a bowl of homemade soup now. Potato and leek. 😋

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2021

slice of joy - claret cup in bloom