Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited May 2021

Beautiful!

My husband brought home a French tarragon plant. ❤️

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited May 2021

Oh yay - I love tarragon

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2021

Today's slice of joy is a trip to the greenhouse. Finally past the danger of frost and can plant annuals and tomatoes.

I love this pic of a praying mantis taking on a bird.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2021

Such a cool picture!

I'm not growing tomatoes this year. We're buying a weekly fruit and veggie basket from a local place instead. They have a bonus item each week. I'm eating more fresh fruit than normal, but they've been really good.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited May 2021

Slice of Joy - these beautiful hats from the indigenous people of Chiapas Mexico. I couldn't decide which one so I got both

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Gorgeous - what fun hats Jazzy. Wonder if you can wear them to work? Of just on your adventures.

I've been listening to the Telemann Trumpet Concertos - Volume One while I pay bills, balance bank statements, etc. So bright & uplifting & energizing. Much needed on this grey, rainy day. Artist: Otto Sauter - Kurpfälzisches Kammerochester Mannheim, with nicol Matt & Franz Wagnermeyer. Volume 1 is over 3 hours long and I'm about 1/2 way though. I'll have to remember where to pick up next time since I need to get some sleep shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zCUaaZMyHo

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2021

Perk of being back working from home as COVID case numbers surge? Getting my workout done at noon instead of 5 pm. 😊

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2021

Good blood results today! Usually low blood counts are normal. TMs down. I should take more time off Ibrance! 🎉

• pi-xi
    edited May 2021

Fantastic, SerenitySTAT!

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Great news Serenity. Congrats!!!

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited May 2021

Wonderful news, SerenitySTAT.

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Sorting records & CDs. Jazzy did you ever listen to Claude Bolling with Jean Pierre Rampal and the Suite for flute & Jazz Piano? It's a lovely thing. Here's one of the selections:

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2021

MinusTwo- yes very familiar with this. When I used to play in orchestras back in the day, we did a lot of Bolling peices. He is a fav composer of mine. I have not heard this one in years, thank you for sharing

• badger
    edited May 2021

Serenity, good news on blood work results!

Pretty hats, Jazzy. I own two hats: a baseball cap and a Henschel "Aussie Breezer" purchased years ago at an indie hat store on State Street in Madison.

Minus, I own that record (on vinyl and CD) by Bolling and Rampal. Love the music and it's a great album cover. ;-)

Went to MIL's house yesterday as DH worked Sat & Sun. Spent the afternoon digging in the dirt. Everything is in the ground, now hoping for rain.

Planted two types of tomatoes: Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter. The heirlooms do well in our clay soil. Picked up a new annual: a bracteantha aka strawflower.

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

who would have thought that three of us all "own" the same song. I haven't met 5 people in my whole life who know this music. Bolling just died 12/31/20 at age 90. I only have the album, but as I still have a phonograph that's OK. I'm keeping the "flute" and passing on two others to my nephew - Classic Guitar and the English Chamber orchestra.

It's KILLING me to get rid of all these albums & CDs. But I can listen on my desktop with the great speakers my son set up.

How about Nancy Wilson?

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Serenity - I really do have some more current albums. Next time!!! How about Meatloaf "Bat Out of Hell"?

But in addition to tons of classical albums and a great selection of jazz, I also have June Christy (the Misty Miss Christy), Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, the first Beatles album, Joan Baez in the late 50s, early Ella Fitzgerald, the first Kingston Trio album and the first Temptations, Gary B.B. Coleman, Bob Marley. Definitely eclectic tastes. Once Smokey Robinson kissed my cheek at a back stage reception after a concert. Imagine - he has blue eyes.

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Anybody else remember when Jefferson Starship was Jefferson Airplane and sang 'White Rabbit'? My son didn't believe there was a prior name until I pulled the album out. And I have the Procol Harum debut with "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - along with the full sized poster. OK - hard to stop but I'm off to bed.

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Parting for the night - MeatLoaf - I Would Do Anything for Love....But I won't do that...

• pi-xi
    edited May 2021

Fun choice, MinusTwo!

• betrayal
    edited May 2021

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/animals/scottish-t...

This should bring a smile to your face. Enjoy.

The hummingbird is back as is the Towhee so all is right with the bird world.

• badger
    edited May 2021

Minus, I have the Bat out of Hell record. Would you recognize the ref to the Rocky Horror Picture Show if I said, "Meatloaf Again?"

I have a fun memory of White Rabbit. Some friends and I were at the beach, someone had a guitar, he played and I sang White Rabbit. I'm no Grace Slick but did OK. Feed Your Head!

Between my DH's record collection and mine, we have a thousand albums. Hardly any dups which is amazing. I also inherited some excellent older jazz records from mom & dad.

Love this pic of a tree farm.

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2021

Slice of Joy - love the quail that visit my yard. This dude was up high today calling for his bevy

• betrayal
    edited May 2021

How cute. I have only seen them on the ground. Was this his version of a drone?

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2021

Betrayal- the are usually on the ground here, and think they may have a nest out front in my rosemary bushes (they did last year). They run along the concrete fences here calling to each other but then he flew up top there to my neighbors house to look down and find his quail peeps. I think they are so adorable. The babies are really cute and run super fast too.

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Badger - I started several years ago with around 800 vinyl albums. I've been working on this a LONG time. Remember how you're just supposed to yank out the loose tooth & not agonize? I'm still agonizing. The latest culling will take me down around 70. Maybe that's a good goal point - one album for every one of my 76 years. And I've pulled out 70+ CDs to go away too. My nephew & his wife are coming Saturday afternoon to take a look and haul off what they want. The rest will go to a lovely re-sale store called "The Vinyl Edge".

(Edited to add - on average that was only purchasing 10 albums per year. Not as bad as it sounds)

My car is loaded to the gills with 11 bags of documents to shred. 42 gallon contractor bags. Tomorrow is free shred from 2-5pm. One of the contractor crew got them down from the attic for me (where I was filling them) and into the car. I understand the people at the shredding place will unload. I sure hope so since I can't lift them.

• badger
    edited May 2021

Jazzy, do you get Road Runners in your neck of the woods?

For some reason, I have the Partridge Family on my mind now.

• minustwo
    edited May 2021

Oh oh Badger. Another 'earworm'.

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2021

Badger- we do have plenty of them here. I used to have one that would visit my back yard, and one time I was working from home and on a call and sitting on my bed with my computer and he was up on a table next to the window watching me. I was on my phone with a director and had to do everything to keep from cracking up! I could not move fast enough for a photo but dang that was memorable. They are real characters!

Okay, true confesssions, David Cassidy of the Partridge Family was my first crush (somewhere around the end of elementary school). That show and the Brady Bunch were some favs of that era (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.....)

• badger
    edited May 2021

Oh yes, David Cassidy. My first crush as well, in middle school. And Bobby Sherman. He was on a show called Here Come the Brides that aired from 1968-1970.

Do they still publish the Tiger Beat fan magazine? LOLOL.

Heat and humidity are here. Got out early for a walk. All the rain and now the heat will be good for my flowers. Zinnia seeds have germinated and will be plentiful. (I saved seed heads from last year's flowers and sprinkled them on the patch of earth behind the tomato plants.)

• betrayal
    edited May 2021

I have a bonded pair of parakeets who surprised me with a hatchling last July that they successfully raised. This year the female laid 6 eggs. One which she abandoned, then I noticed two more, she abandoned another (either infertile or something wrong with the egg) and then another three a tad later. This week she abandoned one of the 4 and continued to sit on the 3 remaining. About 15 minutes ago, she left the eggs and I saw a very pink, naked hatchling between the remaining 2 eggs. I used a plastic cat food dish to corral the hatchling last year, so I dug it out, cleaned the cage quickly (hard to do when she is brooding) and used paper towels to lift the hatchling into the dish. I had lined the dish with a small piece of paper towel which Mom quickly discarded. She is back to brooding so it will be interesting to see what happens next. Dad usually feeds her while she is brooding and then helps feed the hatchling. So I now am experiencing a parakeet population explosion. The "baby" from last July is still with the parents and cannot be gender determined until it is a year old. So that is my Thin Slice of Joy for today.