Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited June 2021

Betrayal- OMG those baby budgies. I am so in love! So I know the gender is indicated by the color of the nose (blue for males and beige for females). Do they have to be a certain age before the color changes?

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited June 2021

Jazzy: Yes, they have to be a year old to have their gender assigned but even then I can tell you it is a challenge. Last year's baby will supposedly be gender assigned late in this July. It is much lighter in body feather color than the parents so it will be interesting to see how the coloration on these new ones turns out. Never thought I would retire to become first, an unpaid onsite superintendent for the house reconstruction (no, not done yet) and an official parakeet breeder. Funny how life has a way of making decisions that we were not prepared for nor necessarily thought would happen. However, they bring joy in the midst of other trials.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2021

Love the baby pix! I remember an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe was a chick sexer at a hatchery in Iowa. Mike learned how to sort the boys from the girls.

Yesterday's slice of joy was the purchase and use of a garden kneeler. OMG what a difference it makes while planting & weeding! My knees are SO grateful.

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited June 2021

I need to focus on the positive. So I’m looking at the bright side: I have tons of insect bites. Because I was able to spend hours outside yesterday, for work, for family, and didn’t need to take a nap!

• betrayal
    edited June 2021

badger: What does your garden kneeler look like? I have arthritis so bad in my left knee (will need knee replacement someday) that I have not been able to attack my garden beds this year. Kneeling and getting back up are a real challenge.Not sure of the state of your knees but am wondering if something like this would let me pursue my passion. I have a garden bench (gift to myself) so I was able to do the patio flowers. It is so hard to weed when you can't squat. Weeding was my therapy.

• badger
    edited June 2021

Betrayal, here's a link to the item. I purchased it at Menard's, which is a WI company. I'm sure you can find one elsewhere.

I am appreciating a really nice morning. It's the last warm day before it gets hot & humid.

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2021

Slice of Joy- I got a tax refund today! Whoot!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited June 2021

Betrayal - Great bird pics! Amazing that you can watch them grow. 👍

badger - Good to treat your knees well when gardening. I'm doing containers only. The landscapers take care of the rest.

NotAsCalm - Nice to get your energy back! I started this thread because I was just tired of being miserable all the time. Life's not perfect, but moments of joy are there.

Jazzy - $$!

I've neglected my sourdough starter in the fridge. It's still alive! Sluggish, but I'll give it extra care.

Sunny, sunny day

• betrayal
    edited June 2021

Badger: Thanks for the link. I think that would work and will look for one locally since bending my knees and getting up from a seat can be a challenge. Great price.

Jazzy: Great that you got a refund.

SerenityStat: this is a great forum because we all have so many different "thin slices of joy" and I enjoy reading of others joys. Provides some degree of normalcy in this sometimes chaotic world.

• betrayal
    edited June 2021

Here are today's pics. Enjoy. Mom still climbs in the bowl with them and it is getting tight. Each day is a new revelation in their development.

• badger
    edited June 2021

Betrayal, the kneeler doubles as a seat. Click the pix on the left and you'll see it in use as a seat and a kneeler. So helpful when kneeling down & getting back up.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited June 2021

Badger - thanks for the recommend. l too could use this garden seat.

Hard to find a slice of joy today so I'll forego posting today.

• badger
    edited June 2021

((Minus)) nothing much but love to give you.

I love this record "Real Time." Darrell and Tim recorded it in Darrell's living room.

• minustwo
    edited June 2021

Badger - thanks. I hadn't heard them before.

Sun's out this morning. Maybe it will last, but the last few weeks have been rain, rain & more rain. The good thing about this is the green lawns.

My joy today - I'm on the home stretch sorting ALL the closets and dressers. Carpet installation has been moved to Thursday - so I think I can just make it. Still have the kitchen to do, but that won't affect the carpet installation. I need to get back to the piles of papers for shredding after Salvation Army comes again Tuesday.

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2021

Slice of Joy - I love Yeti products. I bought a Yeti bucket today I have been eyeing for awhile

• badger
    edited June 2021

Finally took care of the remaining boxes from mom's storage unit. The items are put away or ready for donating to Goodwill. It's great to have the spare room back.

• betrayal
    edited June 2021

Here's some updated photos of the baby parakeets. They pulled the great escape from their bowl and then could not get back in. LOL.

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2021

Betrayal- thanks for sharing. They are growing up fast. I can't wait to see what colors they get as their feathers change in time. Such cuties.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

Betrayal - Adorable! Are they still stuck?

Made sourdough ciabatta!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

Heard a cover of "Come Rain or Come Shine" on one of the late night shows. Had to turn it off and listen to one by Joe Williams. He played at my first jazz festival.

• betrayal
    edited June 2021

SerenitySTAT: No, they still escape but have no idea how to get back in the bowl and mom has a fit when they are loose. It is fun to watch them preen themselves and flap their tiny little wings. So much fun to watch them. Today I was able to grab these shots. Their wing feathers are really coming in now.

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2021

Betrayal- they are so cute. Mom doesn't want them far from the nest. Will you keep them?

• betrayal
    edited June 2021

Jazzygirl: My DD has asked if she can have them when they are old enough to leave the nest and that works for me. I still have the baby from last year living with the parents and it will be a year old at the end of July 2021. It has adjusted well with the parents and I'd hate to separate it since it has never been alone. I had read the parents would reject it after a few months but that never happened. It is too young to reproduce so it is a safe fit for staying with the parents. So far it has ignored the new babies and doesn;t even seem to be fazed by their presence.

• minustwo
    edited June 2021

Serenity - thanks for the "Rain or Shine".

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited June 2021

today’s thin slice of joy is pretty thick: I paid off my car!

in context: Cancer, directly and indirectly, have me looking at early retirement - or a career change. I have would have to switch Health insurance to DH (same employer, same plan) at open enrollment this November. I also have to pay off debt - car and mortgage. So! Car done. House can be paid in next 6-18 months. (Depends on aggressiveness of payment and if any unexpected costs arise). One step closer

• minustwo
    edited June 2021

NotAsCalm - congrats. That's a great accomplishment. And good goal for the house.

• badger
    edited June 2021

NotAsCalm, that's great! My slice is very thin in comparison: our clematis finally bloomed. Beautiful "cardinal red" flowers.

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2021

Betrayal- that sounds like a good plan. Keeping older baby with parents sounds good. A house full of budgies, I love it!

Todays slice of joy is a elephant ear cactus that just started to bloom. First snapshot of all the goodies on the lower cactus pads. I have a blooming cholla (bright pink flowers) also blooming there too and will have two fully bloomed soon. The color in that corner will be amazing and will share that for a future slice of joy sometime in the next week. But for now, this....

• minustwo
    edited June 2021

Tentative slice of joy - they called to confirm carpet installation tomorrow. Third time's the charm - I hope!!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

Betrayal - They're so cute! Glad you'll keep them in the family.

NotAsCalm - Big slab of joy to pay off your car!

badger, Jazzy - I love seeing new growth on my plants since I've been trying not to kill them from neglect. Ok, some didn't make it. ☹️

Minus - Hope your carpet is in tomorrow!

I'm going through Epsom salt fast with all the baths. My husband brought home some scented with vanilla. Can't wait to try it.