Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2021

Vanilla-scented Epsom salts sounds delightful. I didn't know it came in anything other than the "original."

Got out early for my walk and enjoyed a really pretty sky. It's already humid but wasn't hot because the sun was just coming up.

I ♥ this thread. It's so nice to share these slices of joy. Tax refunds, baby birdies, paying off loans, flowers in bloom, home reno projects, and fresh bread. :-)

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited June 2021

badger - Thank you for sharing your slices! I love to see what others post as well.

I had to stop posting for awhile when my TMs rose and my MO went on a cancer hunt. I've accepted that I'll always be in cancer land, but I won't live in misery. My dad had his first heart attack when I was a teenager. I remember my mother giving him CPR in front of the fireplace. He's still alive, but he's been talking about dying for over 40 years. I won't have that long, but I don't want my kids to remember me that way. Instead my older daughter tells people that when we went to Rome, I literally stopped to smell all the flowers.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited June 2021

I’ve started doing night time meditations where I close my eyes and imagine something lovely as I drift off to sleep. Tonight I’m going to be sitting in Piazza Navona eating ice cream with you - one scoop of fragola and one scoopof limone - thanks Serenity!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

ScotBird - Sweet dreams! Tomorrow night let's get takeaway tiramisu near the Spanish Steps. We can sit by the fountain across from the Steps.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited June 2021

ScotBird - I will join you in Piazza Navona, and enjoy a Tartufo from Tre Scalini!

• badger
    edited June 2021

Picked up a quart of fresh-picked strawberries at a farm stand yesterday. This is the first of the summer crop. OMG such flavor!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

Vanilla-scented Epsom salt bath 👍

Salted caramel ice cream 👍

Beautiful day today 👍

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited June 2021

Thanks to everyone for the lovely slices - and Serenity for starting this thread - and for "Bring it on Home". Carpet is in. 7:45am to 6:30pm. Whew. Color is just what I expected. Too tired to enjoy yet.

• badger
    edited June 2021

Had a good walk this morning. The humidity is down and there was a nice fresh breeze. The early-morning people (and their dogs) are always cheerful.

Heard a wildlife program on public radio the other day. The guest said the best thing we can do for our bird friends is provide them with water during these hot days. Googled DIY bird baths and came up with a cheap & easy solution. Took a hanging planter and set an old terra cotta pot upside down in the middle. Set a terra cotta saucer on top of the terra cotta pot, hung, and filled with water. The website suggested filling in the edges of the hanging planter with soil and plants but I was out of potting soil and would have had to purchase more plants so left out that step and used a larger saucer than the poster suggested. Fun and free since I already had all the supplies. It's hanging next to their feeder but no one has used it yet. Too new? Not "natural" enough? IDK but if they don't start using it, I'll adapt and go with the suggestion with soil & plants. I don't need much of an excuse to visit the garden center. :-)

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2021

Today's thin slice was a thin needle with my second dose of Pfizer. On Friday I managed to move my appointment up by three and a half weeks. That was a thick slice!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

Minus - Glad your new carpet is in!

badger - Nice idea to have water for the birds.

Pi-Xi - Wonderful that you're got your 2nd dose! Hope to get mine this Saturday if my MO approves.

My skin is much better (aloe works!). I have gotten another insect bite that I'm trying to keep from turning into a rash. 🤬 I'm using the prescription steroid ointment on the new itchy areas before they get inflamed. So far it's working.

• badger
    edited June 2021

Went strawberry picking yesterday morning before the sun got too hot. Stopped at eight quarts as we have limited freezer space. Today I will clean and freeze six quarts. We had fresh berries for dessert last night with vanilla ice cream. Supper included baby 'bella mushroom risotto, sautéed snow pea pods from the garden, and salad with lettuce I picked 5 minutes before we ate. I am in produce heaven.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

I love risotto! But not as much as dark chocolate covered strawberries. In case you wanted ideas on what to do with some of the strawberries. 😋

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited June 2021

Slice of Joy- little Keb Mo pandemic song for you. I have never heard him perform but here he is great and he will be here in August in Santa Fe.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited June 2021

Here's more recent photos of the baby parakeets that are just about a month old now. They are quite vociferous at feeding times and snuggle together to sleep. It is so much fun to watch them grow.

• betrayal
    edited June 2021

I'll go for a Campari and orange (juice) and a very thin crust pizza margherita on the Piazza Navona. It is one of my favorite places to people watch and for the lovely Bernini fountains.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited June 2021

Jazzy - enjoyed The Medicine Man. Thanks for the introduction.

• scotbird
    edited June 2021

Betrayal those baby parakeets are adorable.

I have really enjoyed our pretend time in Rome, we had lots of fun, enjoyed some great food and beautiful weather, laughed a lot and hung out in some iconic locations. It was the perfect minibreak!

For tonight’s meditation, a place I have always wanted to visit is Marrakesh but I’venever made it to Morocco. Does anyone know any good places, or things to do there?

• betrayal
    edited June 2021

I have not been to Marrakesh but have been to Chechaouen, Morocco which is an unbelievably beautiful city of blue houses. You could wander the narrow, windy streets, visit the rug stores and visit the plaza restaurants. We spent several hours there and I wish we had had a few more to "just get lost".

Or a walking tour of the Temple of Karnak in Egypt. There has to be something on Youtube for this. The night light show was breathtaking; it was narrated and so much more intriguing than the day tour we had taken earlier.

Happy travels.

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2021

Slice of Joy- stumbled upon this on YouTube this week. For you children of the 1970s, do you know who this is (because I didn't). It's one of the lead singers of the 1970s band Kiss. Not like we knew what they ever looked like with their make up. I was not ever a fan of their music, but he did a whole new CD around old songs like this I love. I have to say I think he has a nice voice too!

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited June 2021

Jazzy - I knew immediately who Paul Stanley was. He is the Kiss member with white face and a black star over his right eye. Cool little video, and yes, he does have a pretty nice voice.

It enjoyed thinking about a visit to Rome and the PIazza Navona as well. So many places I would like to travel to again!

• badger
    edited June 2021

I know who Paul Stanley is but hadn't heard of his Soul Station project. They're trying to keep current some of my favorite music - R&B and soul. Good for them!

The only thing I know about Marrakesh is the Marrakesh Express from the song by CSN. I do own a striped djelleba I wear at home, a gift from a friend from Egypt.

We had an early-morning thunderstorm. So grateful for the rain. Strong storms forecast for tonight; hope we don't get the possible golf ball-sized hail or tornado.

• badger
    edited June 2021

Have to add another slice: My car started to overheat just as I hit town yesterday afternoon, back from visiting my mom. I pulled into the service station just as the gauge hit the red. Looks like the water pump died. So grateful to have gotten back to town and my car to the mechanic, about a mile from my house, and not have been stranded on the road. And I had my Henschel hat, an Aussie Breezer, in the car, which made the walk home in the hot sun a lot more comfortable.

• betrayal
    edited June 2021

Correct spelling of town in Morocco is Chefchaouen. Sorry.

• scotbird
    edited June 2021

Excellent thanks Betrayal I have never heard of Chefchaouen before, butI will be there tonight wandering the streets and looking for a nice carpet! X

• badger
    edited June 2021

We got at least an inch of rain overnight. No golf ball-size hail TG. Just spent a few hours weeding as it's finally moist enough to pull the little devils out by the roots.

Apparently, pansies are delicious. The neighborhood deer ate all the blossoms. They also like hostas, lilies, hollyhocks, and sunflowers. Marigolds, not so much.

They can't get at the asters this year without a poke in the nose. We saved the branches when we trimmed the rose bush, then used them to build a palisade around the asters. It seems to be working. Hopefully, we will see some blooms this year.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

Betrayal - Your birdies are so cute!

I loved our visit in Rome. I've never been to Morocco, but I would love to go there.

Had my MO appointment yesterday after a month off all cancer meds due to my rash. Good news is that my blood labs are good. CEA is now in normal range. The CA 15-3 went up a few points, but I was worried it would double. Seeing it as measurement error. Bad news is the rash isn't all gone. I don't know what made the rash around my eyes worse. My MO also said my palms look red which I never noticed. I don't have any itchiness so that's good.

I can restart Exemestane, but Ibrance and vaccine are on hold. Next appointment is in 3 weeks.

Gorgeous day today.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

Last September I ordered an aloe plant. In the pot were 2 String of Dolphins leaves. I had never heard of it before, but it looked so cute. I read that it wasn't the easiest to grow so I didn't want to spend another $40 on something not hard to kill. Instead I put the leaves in my pot with other succulent leaves. Propagation by leaf wasn't easy (some sites said impossible), but after many months, it worked!

The 2 original leaves are in the center of the pot. I'm still working on getting the right amount of watering to avoid flat leaves. Gardening success!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

Happy Father's Day to all dads except for those eating their own. 😧

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2021

Slice of Joy- my neighbor nicely surprised me by having his yard maintenance company clip my rosemary bushes. I did not get around to pruning of those earlier this year as I normally do, and came out yesterday morning to find they had just done it. I have a couple guy neighbors who help me with things and so grateful to them.

Serenity- good to hear you are doing well!