Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited June 2021

Jazzy - my thoughts will be with you as you head to CA later this week for your SIL's memorial.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited June 2021

Minus Two- thanks so much. I finished the eulogy and found a poem to read too yesterday, and mostly packed and ready to go.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited June 2021

image This is a week old baby for point of comparison with the 25 day old troublesome twosome of this year. They have learned how to get on the lowest perche and now terrorize the adults with their shenanigans. One made it to the top of the cage causing chaos and then proceeded to just let go and drop to the floor of the cage. Scared me but it landed on its feet. Wings are still tiny but they can create a bit of wind scattering feathers all over. Their coloration is more like the parents than last year's baby who has a white head and paler blue chest. Still trying to determine gender for that one and time to look for a new cage for the dynamic duo. They can leave the nest in about 2-3 weeks or once they can self-feed. They do provide for lighter moments.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited June 2021

Jazzy - I'm sorry for the loss of your SIL.

Betrayal - Amazing how quickly they grow. They're beautiful.

Power was out most of the day for planned maintenance. Fortunately it wasn't too sunny out so the house wasn't that uncomfortable. The basement stays cool. Sparkling water is refreshing.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

The strawberries in our fruit/veggie basket were small but soooo sweet. 😋

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2021

((Jazzy)) safe travels. I wish peace for your SIL's family and friends.

Serenity, DH got some small sweet strawberries from a roadside farm stand on Monday. SO good.

Yesterday's slice was a man who stopped his car while I was out enjoying the fruits of my labors i.e., all the weeding I've done over the past week. He complimented me on how nice the garden looks. We chatted for a few minutes, even discussed garden kneelers, then he drove on. I had no idea who he was but apparently he's been paying attention to my yard work. It was kind of creepy but that's life in a small town: eyes everywhere.

Today's slice was a job offer - part time as I wanted, helping the state spend a boatload of federal stimulus money. I will work from home, no need to commute. I start next month and will work half-time for a year.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited June 2021

Loving the slices of joy. My garden is giving me amazing joy at the moment as everything is just bursting into flower.

Congratulations badger on the new job. Part time and short term sounds perfect.

Condolences Jazzy, hope everyone is bearing up.

Betrayal those babies are incredible, so adorable!

• minustwo
    edited June 2021

Badger - great news about the part time job.

Slice of joy for tomorrow - I'm finally meeting with my new attorney to get my will, POA, Med POA, etc updated. My existing paperwork lists my BFF as alternate executor and she died in 2005.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

badger - Congrats on the job!

Minus - Good to get that out of the way.

This gardening thing is cool. I have a tiny pot with a small cactus cutting from my Xgeva/port flush nurse. I watered it last night, and there's visible growth. Guess the roots have grown.

• badger
    edited June 2021

Did laundry yesterday and washed the bed linens. So nice to slide into a bed made with fresh clean sheets.

• minustwo
    edited June 2021

Badger - I agree. I remember when all sheets & pillow cases were ironed. That was really a treat. In fact I learned to iron starting with handkerchiefs, boxer shorts and pillow cases.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2021

MinueTwo: Me too! That's how I learned to iron. I miss the real Percale sheets. So smooth and cool to sleep on.

• badger
    edited June 2021

KID1919, you can still get percale sheets. Mine are from Lands End. https://www.landsend.com/shop/percale-sheets/S-xg5-xf5-yj7-xec They have a sale on today.

Does anyone iron anymore? LOL not me.

My slice for today is a successful folk remedy for keeping the wildlife away from our asters - Irish Spring soap. That fence of rose thorns kept the deer from munching but I looked outside the other day and saw a bunny nibbling. My neighbor and I were commiserating (the deer ate all of her lilies) and she mentioned the soap trick. The scent is supposed to repel critters. She bought a two-pack and gave me a bar. I put a few slivers on the walkway by the asters and whaddayaknow, it worked!

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited June 2021

one sided mammograms are twice as fast as bilateral ones

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2021

NotAsCalm - And half as painful!

badger - I've read tiger dung works also, but I'd stick with the soap. 😉

Freshly-washed sheets are great, but I never liked to iron. Love non-iron clothes.

It was warm and humid, but nowhere near as hot as out west. Glad we have AC. I picked some lemon balm for my water today. 👍

• badger
    edited July 2021

Serenity, last year we tried coyote urine granules. It kept the critters away but burned the plants. Live & learn.

Fireflies are my slices of joy every evening this week. They're one upside to a sultry summer. The other is tomato plants growing about an inch a day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2021

badger - I hadn't heard of coyote urine granules. I'll know to stay away. Fireflies are beautiful. Earlier in the thread I posted a link to some incredible photographs of them.

My slice of joy is seeing my aloes growing after I used many of their leaves for my rash. I picked clean the plant from my friend after I removed the pups. It's growing new pups again.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2021
  • badger
    edited July 2021

I grew up in Upstate NY where the climate is similar to WI. Moved out west to CO for a decade where it's too dry for fireflies. Didn't miss them until I moved here and was out for a walk on a summer's eve. There was a field with hundreds or even thousands of fireflies. I was in awe at the spectacle and in a childhood memory of catching fireflies in a jar.

Nice cool morning so got out and walked. Ever notice that most dogs wag their tails while they walk? Is it physiology or happiness? Doesn't really matter LOL. It's a beautiful day!

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2021

Hi ladies- back from my time away for the memorial service. Everything went well, it was beautifully done and very peaceful. Thank you for your all your kind words.

I have always loved the Beach Boys and stumbled across this video last night of a remake of Surfs Up. That album is my favorite, done a bit later in the 1970s and very different than their more popular tunes of the 1960s. If you look closely, you will see some of the original band mixed in with this band doing this song.

• minustwo
    edited July 2021

Nice Jazzy. I'd like to see the poem you read at you SILs memorial if you care to share.

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2021

MinusTwo- sure happy to share it. Everyone came up after and told me how much they loved it. I had never heard this poem before but it came up during a search for something appropriate. This is exactly what she would say if she could have.

https://drdtate.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Dea...

• badger
    edited July 2021

Fireworks were great on July 4th. Some neighbors and I walked there as only about 1/2 mile away and traffic was nuts so easier just to walk and bring lawn chairs.

Slept in on Monday due to late night and inconsiderate people shooting off fireworks until midnight. REALLY people? It's LATE. Lucky for them, I'm not so old as to begrudge them some fun.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited July 2021

Lovely poem and sentiment. Sorry for your loss.

• minustwo
    edited July 2021

Thanks Jazzy. The poem is perfect.

• badger
    edited July 2021

Yesterday, a neighbor dropped off a bag of iris rhizomes he'd thinned out. I needed to make room for them so spent a few hours today digging up lilies of the valley and planting irises. We took down a tree and that garden spot is too sunny for shade-loving plants. He got some lilies now and will get some hostas in a few weeks after they're done flowering. A good trade!

While I was outside, my next-door neighbor came back with a big box of peaches from a Georgia produce truck that came to town today. She gave me six beautiful peaches that were picked last week. Last week, I had given her some of the fresh raspberries we had just picked. Another good trade.

Good neighbors are definitely a slice of joy.

Jazzy, that is a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing.

• scotbird
    edited July 2021

Badger your neighbourhood sounds so nice. I live in a built up area and have 6 sets of close neighbours. I don’t know any of them well, 3 of them seem lovely when we do speak, 2 of them are OK but a little bit territorial and the other ones seem to really hate me - we have a shared wall and they don’t like me anywhere near it! Anyway my joy today is English soap. I love Bronnley Lemon and Neroli soap which reminds me of being about 12 when I used to ask for this as a birthday present and I still love it. It comes in the shape of a lemon and smells divine. Als adore Yardley English lavender soap which my grandmother used to keep in her underwear drawer to make her lingerie smell lovely when she put it on!

• scotbird
    edited July 2021

And another joy I’ve just remembered. I know a lot of them are a bit trite but I do love an inspirational quote - just saw this one and loved it: “The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls”. (Pablo Picasso). I’m full of joy today - Friday feeling!

• badger
    edited July 2021

ScotBird, yes I live in a great neighborhood. We have one another's cell phone numbers (in my contacts, their first names are all Neighbor) and keep an eye on things. For example, my across-the-street neighbor went out of town and left her garage door open. I texted her - want me to close it? - and she said oops yes please. I wasn't looking for a reward but we got lemon bars out of the deal.

We don't mind trite; these are thin slices of joy! You might like this quote I saw on a bumper sticker: "The Earth without Art is just Eh." - Demetri Martin

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2021

$8 discount bouquet