Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited July 2021

Nice contrast with Snarky Puppy!!!

Slice of joy - a delicious smoked salmon cream cheese spread that I created with some Wild caught Alaskan salmon. And even better - I had a pumpernickel bagel in the freezer!!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited July 2021

Jazzy - I remember that song, but never heard the lyrics. Thanks!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2021

The monstera deliciosa I bought recently has grown quickly. It's fun to see the new leaves unfurl. The pot had 3 plants that I separated tonight, but the roots were more developed than I thought. I'll need to pot up sooner than later.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2021

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited July 2021

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2021

Gorgeous! What flowers are they?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2021

We have too many ripe peaches. Husband just grilled them. Having with ice cream and homemade Bourbon sauce. 😋

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2021

MMM grilled peaches. We're awash in green beans, zucchini & cukes. The neighbors are going to start avoiding us LOL.

Last week was my first full week of new part-time job. I spent it getting access to the various systems and taking online training. Hoping my supervisor gets on the ball and provides me with parameters. So far, I've been guessing. I told him before I came aboard that I needed Weds mornings off to see my mom and he agreed. Lo and behold, there's a weekly team check-in every Weds from 11 to noon. <sigh> So I change my visiting time with mom to Weds afternoons so I can participate in this ongoing meeting. Just received an invite for another meeting this Weds from 1-2, which I declined. Check my Outlook calendar! My mom is more important than a meeting. If they want me there, they can reschedule. My slice of joy is being a rehired retiree who wants to do a good job but is no longer driven to succeed. I will work on my own terms, TYVM.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2021

badger - Fantastic that you're working on your terms. I did find it annoying when people didn't check my status that I always kept updated. Once I got a phone call when my status was Unavailable. "Well, Derrick, I'm away from my laptop because I'm in the ED for an infection."

I like a good political cartoon + clever Twitterers.

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2021

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2021

Jazzy - That's a good one!

After multiple delays, I got my 2nd shot of Moderna today! On rash alert and drinking fluids. Had the shot in my thigh. I'll put an ice pack on it later.

No line. Empty waiting area. No Yo-Yo Ma. ☹️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2021

Great nap while listening to Les Misérables. I had trouble sleeping last night due to chills. Then I felt warm this morning. Mild headache probably from not enough sleep. Swelling at the injection site started last night, but isn't too bad right now. So far no itchiness. I didn't just jinx it, did I?

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited July 2021

Les Miserables has to be my all time favorite musical. Saw it in London in a theatre and it was spectacular (third time I saw it; other 2 were in US). We were so close to the stage. Great voice. Hope you did not jinx yourself.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Wonderful! You're so lucky! I haven't seen it on stage. Hopefully someday.

Yep. Jinxed it. A couple of tiny spots on my wrist. I put a little cream on them. Not the heavy duty ointment. These next 2 weeks are going to be long. I'm ready. Better than risking severe illness with the delta variant or worse. Clearly my immune system is wonky.

Unless there's another lockdown my family will be commuting downtown in September increasing the risk of bringing home the virus.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2021

Les Mis was the second musical I ever saw. Watched in on Broadway sometime in the late 1980s

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Awesome! In the late 80s I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers for $5! Small venue. There was a cloth-covered steel barrier between audience and stage. People pulled up the cloth and climbed over the barrier. I jumped up on the stage and sat to the side to avoid getting crushed. A friend was in the paper the next day. He was photographed in mid-air as he stage dived. Best concert ever. 👍

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2021

Oldie but goodie. Who remembers this?

• betrayal
    edited August 2021

If you like Carol King then please see her musical "Beautiful". I saw it in NYC and it was phenomenal.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2021

Betrayal I saw it on Broadway in 2016. Just fantastic ♥️

• minustwo
    edited August 2021

I like Carole King and have not yet seen Beautiful. Hope maybe next year somewhere.

And an even older goodie = Joan Baez and Silver Dagger from a 1965 concert.

• minustwo
    edited August 2021

Or how about "The Rising Sun"

• betrayal
    edited August 2021

I have a bay window in the eat-in area of my kitchen which overlooks my Japanese maple and the hummingbird feeder. The hummingbird feeder is fiercely guarded from intruders by a ruby throated hummingbird. Right now he is roosting in the maple preening himself. Finished with the preening, he has been resting on a branch in the interior of the tree for at least the last ten minutes. Who knew they could stay still for so long? He seems so content. He sometimes hides in here to watch for intruders and then we have some Star Wars action as he chases off the competition.

We stopped filling the bird feeder to prevent spread of the disease that is currently spreading on the East coast so I do miss seeing the birds. Mama doe and her 2 fawns just appeared in the woods and I don't mind that they eat the greenery there but they have been foraging in my garden and the new Red Hot Poker plant I just installed is now missing all its flowers and the new perennial geranium suffered as well.

Beautiful day with a mild breeze and low humidity.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Betrayal - We're having nice weather here. Wish I could share it with all.

I'm not familiar with the latest songs posted except for the House of the Rising Sun. The version I first heard is by the Animals, but it's older than that.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2021

Supper was BLTs with romaine lettuce from our garden and the first of the ripe heirloom brandywine tomatoes. OMG so good! Big fat slice of summer joy.

To quote Guy Clark (one of the world's greatest songwriters): There's only two things that money can't buy and that's true love and home-grown tomatoes.

• minustwo
    edited August 2021

Badger - love me some home grown tomatoes.

Serenity - Joan Baez went to my high school so we heard her sing at assemblies before she was "somebody". This was in the days of pretty much pure folk music. My friends sat around and sang harmony on Kingston Trio songs while someone played the guitar - after we listened to the San Francisco Giants games on the radio (not on TV then). The Silver Dagger song is lovely but I know it's hard to hear in that 1965 clip. Thanks for posting the Animals version of House.... Check out the coats & ties no less. And the 30's version was fun.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2021

MinusTwo- you went to school with Joan Baez, how cool is that!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

badger - Love homegrown tomatoes but I'm still traumatized by my chipmunk-thief from last summer.

Minus - Very cool to hear Joan Baez before she became famous. House of the Rising Sun is 2 centuries old and resembles a 16th century folk song. Even Nina Simone sang a cover.

https://galaxymusicnotes.com/pages/about-the-house-of-the-rising-sun

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,940
    edited August 2021

Hello MinusTwo

I am just popping in to say how much I enjoyed listening to Joan Baez and Bob Dylan yesterday. They were so much a part of my life in the sixties. To hear the beautiful voice of Joan Baez cheered me up so much in these troubled times. I was so interested to know that you were at school with Joan Baez.

Best wishes.

Sylvia

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Sylvia - Welcome! Music has been a great way to feel some good. Music from our past seems to have more power.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,940
    edited August 2021

Hello SerenitySTAT,

Thank you for your welcome. I see that you are from Montreal. My husband and I spent four years in Montreal when we went to live in Canada in 1977.

It is true about music from the past. I love music by Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, not to mention some of the great French singers, such as Edith Piaf, Charles Aznavour. I also like the three tenors and of course Frank Sinatra, Perry Como and so on and so forth!

Best wishes.

Sylvia