Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited August 2021

Jazzy - yup, she was a year or two older than me, but that still makes me old. That was when Glenn Yarborough was still singing with the Limelighters.

Sylvia - Thank for the 60s memories. oh my goodness, I hadn't thought about Charles Aznavour for ages. I wonder if I still have my vinyl album? And of course when you google him, you get lots of Nat King Cole references, and Julio Iglesias. For those of you who don't know Aznavour, here's a sample. He just died in 2018 at age 94.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2021

Sylvia - I knew all those you named from when I was young except for Aznavour. I learned of him in the past few years because Elvis Costello sang a cover of She.

Here's a great song by Sara Bareilles and John Legend.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Almost a week after vaccine and have minimal side effects. The swelling at the injection site is smaller than the one from the first dose. I haven't needed any ointments or pain meds after day 3. I did read someone had a rash start on day 13. Saw no other details but I'll refrain from having any celebratory pastries for at least another week. 😓

Got my 2nd dose in time for increasing cases here. Quebec will be implementing a vaccine passport requirement. Hope that will be enough incentive for more people to get vaccinated. Apparently saving yourself from a severe outcome is not enough. 😒

Time for Sting

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Port flush today. Wasn't familiar with the nurse and had to tell her about my Moderna rashes. Then she told me her 32 yr old daughter had her first Moderna shot, but keeps postponing the second. She's afraid of having a rash though it didn't happen the first time. I told her I was afraid to get the second dose fearing another rash. The fear went away when I realized that I know how to fix it if it happens again. I can prepare for the side effects of the vaccine. They're easier to handle than a bad reaction to the virus. One week after vaccine and I'm still ok. 🎉 The nurse liked my reasoning. Hope her daughter keeps her appointment next week.

Blondie!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Had a little scare this morning. I felt an itchy spot on my chest. The spot felt rough. Thought it was a new rash. 🤬 Then I looked and saw it was the bandage from yesterday. Whew! Think I have rash PTSD. ☹️

My younger daughter took pity on me and started making meringue cookies. ❤️

It's a warm, sunny day. The Kinks.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Someone asked about the meringue cookies. I ate an embarrassing amount. 😁 Here's a pic of what remains.

• minustwo
    edited August 2021

Serenity - rash PTST - LOL. Thanks for the Kinks oldie.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Minus - Just adding to my all my sub-PTSDs. Cancer treatment has been especially cruel given my needle phobia. I still remember my mother piercing my ears herself with a giant needle when I was about 5 or 6.

Heat warning today. Went out early to water the container plants. Herbs smell great. Aloe leaves are chonky.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited August 2021

My mouth is watering! I want meringue cookies!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Oops! 😧

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited August 2021

On 60 Minutes tonight, just fantastic. Robotics has come a long way. Enjoy!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Jazzy - I saw the show yesterday. Very cute dancing.

But not as cute as these kids

• minustwo
    edited August 2021

Jazzy - due to the changing Covid landscape, DaCamera had changed their plans and they ARE going to offer livestream for their jazz series. The first one is Dianne Reeves on 8/20 for $10.00. Or you can get 3 concerts for $25.

https://www.dacamera.com/?event=dianne-reeves-livestream&event_date=2021-08-20

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Beautiful rendition! 👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Plant care: Monstera plants have grown well in the past month since purchase. I repotted the string of dolphins when growth slowed. Aloes are growing well now that my rash has calmed down. One orchid has an unexpected new spike. Snake plants are mostly good. Pothos plants have some yellowing leaves (they're my oldest plants). Jade and sedum plants are surprisingly good. I have an air plant and haworthia plants that are not bringing me any joy. They should be worried.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Run.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Hydraulic press interpretive dance. Yes. 🤪

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Sourdough starter is still alive! Might make bread this weekend. Slow food planning. 😋

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Fully vaxxed! 🎉

Happy Left-handers Day! 🎉 Me, my husband, 1 of 2 daughters, my mom, and my 2 brothers are all southpaws.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited August 2021

Happy lefthandedness day to you! My youngest brother is a southpaw and he was placed on my right at the dinner table which meant I could never get food in my mouth due to bumping elbows. In my house you only got seconds if you were the first finished so that left me out quite a bit when competing with the southpaw and 2 other brothers. My mother finally moved him to the outside on the other side of the table where his elbow was not an issue. So thanks for the laugh and memory. We once visited a store in Baltimore's Inner Harbor that sold items only for southpaws including kitchen items, etc. I can't remember what I bought him but he was pleased because it meant less struggles with trying to adapt a right handed item.

He would demonstrate how he wanted me to do something which was a laugh because I am right handed only and struggled as he had done for most of his life. He is of the age where the teachers tried to make him a convert to righhandedness and it took my dad going to the school to stop them. So being self-taught with holding a pen/pencil means it is awkward (he bends wrist towards forearm) and I don't think he ever mastered cursive writing.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

It can be a struggle to be lefty where everything is designed for righties. It's why lefties have more accidents. 👎

My own left-handed mother tried to force me to write with my right hand. I became so self-conscious that I learned to write better on the chalkboard with my right. On paper I can use either, but prefer my left.

As for stupid human tricks, I can write with my right foot. 😁

• minustwo
    edited August 2021

Serenity - your foot? Really?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Yep. On one of those long field trips for school, other kids were impressed that I could write with either hand. Next area of interest was to see if I could write with my feet. Turned out my right foot was pretty good.

I don't write much anymore, but I had excellent penmanship. I even did calligraphy where I had to change my writing grip to avoid smearing ink everywhere.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Smellavision would be good here. Went to the outdoor market by the river. After abstaining from wheat for so long, I wanted all the pastries.

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2021

I bought shampoo today for the first time in over a year

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Woohoo! Next milestone: bed head. 🎉

• yesiamadragon
    edited August 2021

WOOOHOO!

• yesiamadragon
    edited August 2021

Was looking for cards for a friend who is starting chemo soon and found this:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/779400488/cancer-m...

Hadn't heard about celery juice, but they missed the square of, "let me tell you about my friend/relative who died of what you have"

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

What is celery juice supposed to do???

I hated:

"Well, you LOOK good."

"Oh, that's the cancer to get if you have to."

"You kept your eyebrows." (No, I didn't.)

And the general, please don't stare at my chest.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

My next MO appointment is next Monday. I expect to restart Ibrance. I'm a little nervous because I've been off it for almost 3 months. My husband just told me that they're planning on making lime-based foods next weekend to lime me up before Ibrance. ❤️ Lime is one of the foods to avoid along with grapefruit and pomegranate. There are a few other foods, but lime is the only one I miss.