Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2021

No heat warning for the first time in a few days. Still hot.

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2021

tee hee. Wearing a prosthetic in 90 degree heat gives a whole new meaning to “let me get something off my chest

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

So true! 🥵

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited August 2021

NotAsCalm -- right on!!! (oops - or off as the case may be)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Had a chat with a relative with lingering anosmia from COVID. He's fully vaccinated, but he did have sore throat and fatigue. He misses the taste of brownies. He ate more thinking that would help. Learned that just made him fat. 🤦🏻

I suggested he bite into a whole clove (not garlic) to see if he can taste it.

Husband: That won't help!

Me: Probably not, but I do it when I feel a mouth sore coming on. Strange sensation. Just wanted to see if he'd do it. 😏

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Most of my plants are where my husband works. He asked if I saw the monstera plants had new leaves coming out saying "They look so cool!". Of course I did! Then I pointed out the new spikes on 2 of 3 orchids. One hasn't bloomed since he first bought it. He might have regretted starting this conversation. 😁

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

To continue. I pointed out the new monstera leaves had no fenestrations so might need more light. He left to get another cup of coffee. I heard him say to the dog, "And what would we do without fenestrations?'

Good thing he cooks. 😒

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited August 2021

MY DH does the cooking! It saved our relationship in the dating years. “...but he cooks." 😆

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

In my case it saved everywhere we called home. I might have started some fires by accident.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Multiple fires. 😮

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited August 2021

😆 Hilarious!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Thin slice of joy - I'm so practiced I remain calm as I put out the fires.

Medicating

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Ok, they've only been tiny fires, so not huge feats.

This video made me tear up. I've posted her videos before, but now Nandi has performed in an arena with the Foo Fighters! The recording is by her dad who screamed himself hoarse.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2021

Here's a slice for all to enjoy - Sunset over Lake Erie (Saybrook, OH), taken during visit with friends a couple weeks ago.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Gorgeous!

I have a relative who can be so dramatic that we've learned to ignore it. I was more chatty earlier. She's the one in green. The four of us live in 3 different countries. I looked online for reports of an imminent asteroid strike.

• minustwo
    edited August 2021

CeliaC - that's beautiful Thanks for posting.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Out of the blue my younger daughter has decided to make cheese. Ricotta. I like ricotta. Never thought to make it from scratch. Can't wait to try. 😋

• minustwo
    edited August 2021

Serenity - waiting with bated breath for a review....

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

It's the first time. I have no idea how long it will take. She said if it works, she'll make a cannoli filling, but put into cream puffs. We don't have those cannoli forms.

Will let you know.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

It's lusciously good. 😋

But she only gave me a taste. Tomorrow we should have dessert. 👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

New Yo-Yo Ma Songs of Comfort. Never heard it before but definitely soothing.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

We started moving my older daughter out today. Her place is so cute and one metro stop away from my hospital. She doesn't have air conditioning, but it was comfortable. We have a window AC that she might use. With the windows open and deep cleaning, I'm all sneezy. Ate the obligatory pizza and ready for a nap.

Oh, we came home to the younger daughter making choux pastry. Smells so good.

Things are going well. 👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Profiteroles. 😋

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Can't stop sneezing. ☹️

Guess I shouldn't help move stuff tomorrow. 😁

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

No sneezing!

Stanley Tucci, a joy to watch and a joy to read about. May have to subscribe to the channel with his show.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/639873/stanley-tucci-actor-facts

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

We watched Captain Fantastic last night. It was really good. I think the movie title didn't help it. Viggo was great.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

Small joys in pandemic:

- extra time with my family especially the one moving out

- medical appointments extended or made virtual so I didn't have to go in so frequently

- learning plant care is self care

- learned how to manage sourdough starter

- music made in isolation but together

- the HCWs I know were able to get some vacation time before the current wave started

- seeing vaccines working based on hospital data and countries like Iceland and Denmark

- family will be leaving for work or school soon. They're vaccinated and wear masks. Should be ok. Maybe I can now learn to play the ukulele?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

My husband and daughter just left for another moving run. They're stopping at IKEA for a pickup order. This has been a great option during the pandemic. Not just to avoid crowds, but avoiding getting lost in IKEA. 👍 Hope it remains an option forever.

I get to stay home, but laundry duty doesn't save me from lifting stuff and stairs. ☹️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

I hate all the extra waste from masks. I've found the elastic from the procedural masks work well as plant ties and wicks for bottom watering. 👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021

My older daughter finally got the younger daughter to agree to hang out at the new place by promising donuts. 😁