Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

don't worry annoyingboob, that's why I said I'll just wave! You got all you need and the place to yourself as needed but we'll be a friendly face cheering you on from the horizon and then the bar for a drink sounds just amazing! You just gave us such a great visualization of the place and now I want to be there's too! Will have you and the other Jan 5ths in my thoughts tomorrow.

Jinmo, I too wish you luck at tomorrow's appt!

Elem, I am very fortunate as I will be put to sleep before wire loc and dye injection.

I can't believe tomorrow is my last day at work for 10 days. So much to do and didn't get near what I wanted to accomplish today as I spent the last night drinking some wine and hanging out with the hubby. I know tomorrow my nerves will be going stronger so I'm glad we could make the most of this evening and I will be glad to stay busy tomorrow.

All the best to you ladies tomorrow

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Elem, so glad to read that you are doing so well! My surgery will be alot like yours. Arrive early for "the wire" then on to the hospital for the lumpectomy. Take it easy with the housework!

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

Hi Vargadoll,

These people are amazing and I have found this site and community a great resource. Breast cancer is so scary when you receive the diagnosis and it can be so overwhelming. You want information , but yet you fear the information at the same time. But within the community you find a sense of camaraderie and the scared isolation begins to leave you . I just signed up overcthecweekend. Best thing I did since being diagnosed on Dec13,2016. In regard to the terminology, the site has great articles and insightful discussions on a number of topics . I think you will like exploring those as well . Glad you are here.

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    Options

Annoyingboob, I will meet you at the virtual beach cafe in a few hours. It will be the image I keep in my mind once I'm in the OR with all the lights and medical personnel around, in the minutes just before they knock me out.

And,that island bungalow and lovely blue water, I am actually gonna go there for real after this whole ordeal finishes and before I start job hunting. Haven't decided on the exact island yet, but after everything I've been through in the last year, I am going no matter how much it costs.

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

maya15, looking at your history and what you have been through recently, you certainly deserve a relaxing break on an island somewhere!! Best of luck for the diep- it's a big surgery and recovery, but the pics I've seen postop are amazing!!! Best wishes for a smooth surgery and recovery. Use our island getaway whenever you need a relaxing visualization. I'll be saving your seat at the bar, so take your time. xx

Maybe we could lobby health insurance plans to cover post op visits t Tahiti!!!!

• 3bears
    3bears Member Posts: 161
    Options

mommy4ever, maya15 and annoyingboob-- all my thoughts and prayers are with you today. Please let us know how you do after. January 6 girls, thinking about about praying for you too! Keep us posted.

Elem- thanks for letting us know how you're doing. I'm glad to hear it went smoothly and you're able to do housework.

Maya 15 I'd especially be interested in hearing how you do after. I spent a lot of time considering diep flap. I would have had to drive 1 1/2 hrs to get it though. It's still a future consideration if the implants become trouble. I'm expecting only the best of the implants though.

There seems to be a strength rising up in me that I didn't know I had or rather had forgotten that I had. I'm a survivor of breast cancer since I was 7 years old when I had to go on without a mother. Disco music gave me strength and I find that when I listen to that , I remember that I can live through anything. We all can. We are women after all. We will get through to the other side and we are going to be strong.

• 3bears
    Options

maya15--I see that you had already had previous diep flap and other surgeries. My apologies. You've been down a rough road for sure. This time will be your charm! I like your positive attitude. Keep it up girl! I'll be in the cabana after my surgery and I'll meet you girls for some swimming ! 💕

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Good Morning Ladies! I hope all goes swimmingly for the 3 of you scheduled today, and also that yesterday's 4 are recovering well.

I am packed and basically ready to go for my BMX in the morning. Still a bit nervous, but I have a great team (including my hubby the anesthesiologist). He's been planning for this I think since the moment I was diagnosed. I'm getting a thoracic epidural which will stay in place at least 24 hours after the surgery in order to minimize pain and the need for narcotics. He's had me on an exercise program (which sadly I have not really adhered to) and special nutrition drinks to bolster my immune system. While he himself will not be my anesthesiologist, he's hand-picked one of his partners to be in the OR with me. I'm blessed to be in such good hands.

Also, my kids will be able to be here to see me off to surgery but will be driving back to school on Sunday (one is at FSU in Tallahassee, the other at the University of Alabama - Roll Tide!). Sunday evening my mother-in-law and sister-in-law fly in from Atlanta and my beautiful sister from Santo Domingo arrive to help take care of me (read pamper and cook, lol). Just writing all this down makes me feel better about losing my breasts, but I have to remember, they tried to kill me so they must go!

Good Luck to Fightingirl, All, Marimucho, Dlh17, and BeachBabyK my January 6 friends!

• vargadoll
    Options

Good morning ladies! Thinking of you all! Prayers for all going to surgery today. I'm working on learning all the abbreviations and surgery procedures. I never in my darkest dreams thought I would fine myself here but damn it here I am! I plan on getting my pathology report today. Hopefully it will help me understand more. ~~~~good vibes~~~~~ or soft waves for your beach front villas on the crystal blue ocean!

• Elem
    Options

Good luck Annoyingboob , Momy4ever and Maya15

Thinking of you all today and sending positive and healing vibes .

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

Good morning ladies! I'm checking in from my hospital room. My surgery went well. Dr just stopped by and said my nodes looked good and ones tested during surgery were negative!!! Yay!!! They saved my nipples and reconstructed. PS will be in to change my dressings sometime today. They say I will go home today but that sure doesn't sound good. I am still very nauseated and it hurts like hell to move.

I am sending positive thoughts and prayers to all the ladies going in today and tomorrow. You've got this!

Xoxox

• Elem
    Options

thank you for checking in ,great news Leftcoastie . So glad it went well including such a positive prognosis and diagnosis.

Sorry about your pain though . The neausea sucks! Maybe they can give you an anti emetic to help it along .

Get some rest . You Rocked it today!

• Bevmomduck
    Bevmomduck Member Posts: 91
    Options

Hello, all. My DSCI has just reoccurred about a year after treatment, so I am looking at a bilateral mastectomy within the next few weeks. A noticeable, touchy lump appeared this time when it was just a teeny 2mm dot the first time discovered by mammogram, and now this one has grown right before my eyes in a short time! Not a good feeling. Just saw surgeon yesterday and am still in shock 😳. Glad I found this group

• vargadoll
    Options

Great news, Leftcoastie! Hope the pain is under control ASAP! WOO HOO FOR NIPPLES! I never knew I was so attached to mine until I was told I could keep it!

Thanks for letting us know how you are!

• vargadoll
    Options

Bevmomduck,

Sorry you find yourself here! I'm new to the group due to a IDC diagnosis December 23rd. The ladies are amazing! Wish I had found this group before my surgeon's appio

• Elem
    Options

wow Bevmomduck ,Sorry to hear that you have to revisit this again so soon . Luckily you are on top of it . But it is never good news. I just had surgery ( lumpectomy) for DCIS yesterday . Do not know what my tx. Options are yet , but your story will definitely help me decide based of stats of recurrence rates etc. It seems some surgeons prefer multiple surgeries so you don't have to lose anything prophylactically based on possible recurrence and others put the decision on the patient. Anyway, knowing this is treatable makes me so happy I am here among all of you courageous and optimistic people. Great resource with beautiful people !😍💪🏻💋Wishing you all the best !

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

thank you for all the love! Hope yesterday's girls are resting in their bungalow. My surgery isn't until this afternoon, so I will update tomorrow. Sending all my best thoughts to everyone in thin hospital gowns and threaded socks like me - I'm off to do the wire locs! X

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396
    Options

bevmomduck- dang that's not what any of us want to hear ESP you! So sorry you're joining us but we will help each other through.

I'm sitting at the hosp getting all my registration done then off to my drs office to have her look at this arm! Loved the island! Great visual- put a smile on my face!! I haven't had a glass of wine in months! Need one lo

• Fightingirl
    Options

LeftCoastie, I'm so ecstatic to hear from you and the good news with the nodes. Sorry for the pain but hopefully that is already getting better for you.

Bevmomduck, like all have said, we are so sorry you have to go through this again but hope you'll find some comfort in our January group.

Good luck annoyingboobs with wire loc!

DocMama, - Alli - Marimucho- dlh17 - BeachbabyK You will be in my thoughts tomorrow as we head off to those beautiful bungalows and then the fruity drink after! Praying it goes well for all. MUCH LOVE LADIES!

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396
    Options

Leftcoastie so good to hear from you with positive results! I had my pre-registration at the hosp today, she told me I'd be getting that mapping done for the nodes, would go in with a lidocaine patch?!! Curious how painful this needle into the nipple is going to be.

Saw my Dr on my arm issues....she switched up all the meds- i have another ultrasound on my veins, she's thinking this is mostly clot issue. Crazy!

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    Options

I'm home with my tissue expanders! Only had to stay in the hospital one night. Will post full disclosure tomorrow bc I'm so exhausted right now..but not too much pain! Bring ear plugs to the hospital - you won't sleep much anyway! I thought of all of you yesterday in pre-op....thx for your love, prayers & support. Trust me, the anticipation is so much worse than the surgery...it will feel great when you know the cancer in your breast is gone! Even the drains aren't as disgusting as I thought they'd be...will write more after I rest up a bit...they checked 2 sentinel nodes & 1 axillary node. All clear, thank God!

Leftcoastie, thrilled to hear your good news

• Elem
    Options

Glad to hear from you Pugsmama . Thanks for the update. Please relax and rest . Glad you did well . May your recovery be smooth sailing ❤

• Bevmomduck
    Bevmomduck Member Posts: 91
    Options

PugsMama - Congrats on getting that over with! and very encouraging that the drains aren't as bad as we all imagine - hearing that esp helped my husband, the medical procedure-phobe 💉😰 cause we've already had that discussion and he turned green....

• Elem
    Options

you are an inspiration. So happy that your kids can see you off and that you'll have so much support . It is great that your husband knows what will be best to avoid narcotics for pain . We are all here wishing you good luck through it all , and yes none of us need killer breasts!

Good Luck

😍❤

• vargadoll
    Options

Pugsmama, good to hear you are home! Get your rest and update us when you can!

• Fightingirl
    Options

Pugsmama! So glad to hear your home and resting. Take good care and we'll hope to hear from you when you're able. xxoo

• BeachBabyK
    BeachBabyK Member Posts: 148
    Options

Pre-surgery appointment done and ready for tomorrow (just wish I didn't have to drive in traffic to get there), but happy to be scheduled early in the day! I am horrible at waiting around! A little anxious about the "wire" deal and dye injection, but if you can get through the rest of the package that comes with our diagnosis, that will be no big deal, right?

Glad to hear those of you that have had surgery are checking in and doing well! PugsMama, the drains are inconvenient more than anything else and they help with healing. So glad to hear that you guys are having to wait for results either! My BS had me make an appt to see him next week when I'll get mine - figures as my biggest pet peeve with the medical community is having to wait for results that the Dr already has but hasn't bothered to share with you! Irony is a funny thing!

Can't wait to have the cancer gone!!! Quick healing Everyone!

• Fightingirl
    Options

BeachBabyK, can you see if you can be put out for wire loc? I did not request that but my BS does this so I was very glad to hear that bit of new. The wire and dyes all happen once I go under. Either way, you'll do just great and we'll be looking forward to the January 6's to check in as they are able.

2 days of the months surgeries down and so far everyone is faring pretty well...we can do this!

• 3bears
    Options

PugsMama! It's so good to hear from you! ----Isn't it girls? Haha, it's like you made it back from the front line!! I'm so glad to hear it's not as bad as the anticipation. I'm happy you thought of us and felt supported during pre op. Wonderful to hear your lymph nodes are clear! You too Leftcoastie! Good job getting through and having clear nodes. I hope your pain and nausea are better soon. Love to you girls!!

We are so blessed to have this group!

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

Hi ladies - yay PugsMama. I have 2 drain tubes. They are keeping my nausea at bay. I will be staying another night in hospital. Mostly because we live an hour and half away and the drive doesn't sound good to me at all.

Ladies the die injection was not bad for me at all. Just a sting like any kind of shot. Like Liz myanxiety is gone!

Please know I am here for all of you! I am at the point of the yummy cocktail on the white sandy beach. You too will all be here soon.

I wish you all peace! Remember this too shall pass!

Lisa