Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,024

that baby donkey is beautiful! Thanks for the smile. I’m thinking of you all and sending love!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,024

gailmary ~ in your pocket as you deal with this issue. I hope that the solution is easy. Something should be at done point for us all after all the difficulties we face daily.
    Goldens. You’re on my mind also. You go!!!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,386

Goldens, in your pocket as you heal up.

Mel, nice to see you as well looking out for everyone

Snowdrop, I would have had a meltdown at home if someone forgot to send results, in your pocket to get them soon.

Felt lazy so allowed myself a mcdouble and junior chicken, cheapest things on the menu and it has been more than a month since having anything delivered. Was super quick too which was nice.

• mara51506
    edited September 1

So I tried a large blanket in the washer, no motor used, at first used a wash wand but it was taking too long to do so just used my hands for each section. Letting it drip out for about an hour and moving it to the larger panda spinner, was not difficult to do. Feed each section hand wash for about a minute and drop it in the spin dryer and electric dryer after that. Should not damage the washer as I did not engage the motor with the big blanket. Letting it drip out did take most of the extra moisture out but the spinner is necessary..

Edit, this method does work and will be getting rid of the big blue fleece blanket due to the fact it is too big even for the panda spin dryer. I will put the first blanket in the dryer as I have spun it. I do swear that things are only made to last a couple of years as the panda is sounding like pieces are flowing around but it is still working, will save some money to get a new one if it dies. Best news, clean bedding with only one that needs so much attention given. No laundromat needed.

• mara51506
    edited September 1

Mel, hope things change as well, so hard when friends are going through a hard time and they are far away. Glad you are both in contact with each other so you both can lend support to each other as needed. Let me know if you need a bedtime story about my boring days to lull you to sleep.

I did not sleep much but it was just fine, today is blanket day for laundry, doing all blankets by hand , no regular washing on this stuff and not bothering to empty the tub, Found that giving them time to dry out and not be dripping is good, just drape them over the portable washer, thinking after an hour or so, spin in the panda until it dies. Once it does die, get one of those automatic washers and do laundry cycle by cycle in there, they are not much more expensive than the panda spinner which I have had 5 years, just could not run it automatically. Don't mind that part of things though and it would spin them but that would only happen if the panda dies. Like I say, the feeding in section by section into the wash and not washing it normally as that would definitely protect the motor. Clothes and cloths are the only things that go in and run on a normal wash cycle in the portable washer and little spin dryer. Got first blanket for today washing. Getting rid of of the big blue fleece blanket because it would not fit in the panda dryer, the other bedspread is thin and can squish down. They go in the dryer one by one.

Not sure what I want to have today, going to cook up some sausage I got from Walmart the other day, cooking all of it and then storing in fridge to go along with meals, it is the johnsonville sausage in the fridge. I did take some leftovers from the rice and veggies with chicken and fettucine alfredo, frozen variety of both. I am going to finish this today. Added two eggs after sausage was cooked up in frypan, added the leftovers, cheez whiz and taco seasoning with salt. It was really good and I enjoyed the little sausage patties as well. I will need to use it up within 3 to 4 days. That can happen, have one more meal to have with the leftovers of the rice and frozen pasta combo. The smoothie this afternoon will be milk, peanut butter powder and boost and chopped oreos, only 2 of them.

Other than that, hoping everyone has a very good day, in pockets for anyone who needs me as well.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,558

Oh Mel! I'm just so very sorry for both you and your dear friend. I don't really have any words. I think you said it all so well about just how horrible this disease really is, and how there is just no end to the devastation it brings to so many. I'm sure your friend is really valuing your love, care ,and concern right now, and that it means the world to her. I wish there was some kind of answer, but there just doesn't seem to be one. Wish I was in your real living room right now and that I could give you a real hug. Please accept the virtual love and hugs!

• mara51506

Well, managed to get all bedding that is staying washed, only one required the feeding and handwashing in the portable washer, rest were able to be folded down and washed regularly, bigger ones spun in the panda spin dryer. So great that I don't need to use the bathtub and great that I do not need to travel to a laundromat as well. I would use DB machine but his house has lots of stairs without railings and a big dog and am not going to depend on them as a laundry service. Part of why I stopped visiting their house. I am happy with the way it all works out for me. The pet hair that came out of the dryer lint filter was crazy too but at least not on the bed anymore.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 710

Irish - I’m in the same boat when it comes to keeping up with everyone. I think it just gets harder as we get older. Even Candy has stopped her post it note system. So glad the ophthalmologist had good news concerning cancer. What a big relief.

Mel - so heartbreaking about your dear friend. What a crappy disease🤬 this cancer is.

• mara51506

Intolight, so sorry to hear you are sick along with your DGD, hoping you both recover soon.

Mel, cancer is definitely crappy, hugs to you and your friend as well.

Goldens, I still use the sticky notes on the computer to type on here most of the time as my hand can it something that can delete an entire post at times.

Irish, I am happy to hear the good news from your opthamologist.

Nice day today. Not much on the agenda besides smaller laundry loads which is nice. Like being able to wash everything and that I thought of using my hands in the portable washer on each section of my bedspread. It will be recycling pick up tomorrow so getting my recyclables out in blue bags, not too much as of yet. I love tossing the bags straight down the stairs and picking up after. Use tiny recycle containers to hold boxes that were broken down.

I do hope all have a good Labour Day and in pockets for those who need me.

• threetree

Irish - I totally understand the not being able to keep track of all of this thing. I have troubles too. Then there are the days when I really want to post something to someone that I think might be supportive and helpful to them, and I just don't have the energy and/or I hurt too much all over to sit at the computer and type. I like to think that we all understand that about each other and cut ourselves some slack about this stuff. I just hate it though, that I can't be my usual self and stay on things like I used to.

I'm so, so glad to hear about no cancer in your eye and I totally understand the big time crying when you heard the good news! Congratulations.

Mara - Thanks for the nice Labor Day wishes to all us yanks. Is there any equivalent type of holiday in Canada? If so, I don't think I've ever heard of it. Usually, both countries have almost identical holidays, maybe just at different times of the year, etc.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 493

Getting older. My thoughts exactly. . Expect more grief as more people we know pass away. I'm 68 with most family and friends are 70+. Sucks big time and to know they may be suffering with cancer or such.

Maybe a bit of lack of estrogen or chemo brain is affecting us too. Seems I make less effort to remember stuff anymore. What's the point? OK maybe it's stress!

My annoying sister insists on coming to see me today after sharing my news. Besides her 2 kids, I'm the only family she has. Ugh.

• mara51506

I did decide to make some proper Kraft Dinner in the microwave, stirred every 3 mins, cooked for 9 mins total. Put in the cheese, milk and added lentils. Put in some ketchup and proceeded to eat 3/4 of the box. Put last little bit in the fridge, it was very good for such a cheap meal and the lentils just bumped up the nutrition of an otherwise not very nutritious meal.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026

I usually put a can of tuna and a can of green beans in my Kraft dinners and then season with dried hot pepper. Lentils sound like an interesting addition too.

Happy Labor Day-I will be working later but at least have gotten a 24 hour Sabbath break. In the past 10 days, I preached twice and worked 4 concerts: Pink, Luke Bryan and Pearl Jam (twice). But I did have some relaxing times too. I went to the Chicago Jazz Fest one night-it was great and yesterday attended a fantastic picnic with the pickleball community. Enjoying just lazying at home now until I go to work tonight. The Cubs have been on a nice winning streak so I hope that they can keep it going. At least I get time and a half today. Grateful for all the workers who came before me and fought for better conditions.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 493

Tuna peas onion and Mac + cheese!

• mara51506

Gthreetree, yes, it is Labour Day in Canada as well today.

Chicagoan, lentils are hardly noticable in a dish if you just season it the way you like. I did not really notice the lentils in the Kraft dinner this morning. At some points, I want to make crispy lentils to add a healthier crunch to things too.

Tonight, took a tortilla, added pizza sauce and cheez whiz, spread around on the tortilla, added a salad sort of thing, cabbage, kale, lettuce and I am not sure what else. Put shredded cheese over the top, cooking at 375 to start with on a greased baking pan and if in a hurry for it to finish, turn up to 425 for a few minutes.

Another thing that interests me for tomorrow is doing the rice and an egg in a pot but having more beans and lentils together with the cheez whiz. I am addicted to it, don't use crazy amounts but it will be a regular feature of meals for a while. Better than the queso.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166

Had to comment— Mac and cheese (shells and cheese kind), mix in a can of tuna when macaroni done, as you are stirring in the cheese. Serve with green beans. That is a meal I have a lot. Cheap. Easy. And, I guess, healthy.

• threetree

Mara - Thanks, and Happy Labour Day to you and all our other Canadian friends here!

• mara51506

Irish, that meal sounds delicious to me, glad you all had such a good meal with each other and able to satisfy more than one eating plan as well. Enjoy those leftovers.

Candy, the tuna and mac and cheese sounds very good to me as well. I do not have tuna but canned chicken that could fit the bill for sure. You've got me thinking of a mac and cheese vibe that is put with cheese and chips on top and baked to give a crispy top. In my case would make up the normal KD, spoon into a container once cool and just spray the baking pan and a little egg round, add the KD, some chicken and lentils and put the cheese and crushed potato chip on top, thank you for the idea.

I am not doing anything, wimped out of recycling yesterday but it will be here next week. Still got a couple of boxes to breakdown including my paper shredder though am skipping flyers, only chopping up old credit cards and mail that has too much identifying info, will take a while to amount to much and will not try cardboard which was how I killed the last one.

Doing the budget boosting stuff, tv playing music with ads I get paid for, playing mobile games for some money and that is about it. Also planning to take a walk sometime today, now that it is September, humidity has gone by the wayside, more comfortable weather right now. Also got laundry on the go including a throw blanket that was the victim of some of the tortilla pizza last night, at least it can be addressed now.

As far as food, feeling rice, beans, lentils and an egg, cooking the egg with the rice, chopping up the beans, lentils and cheese with croutons for the ground beef texture. Probably season with some garlic, sour cream and onion dry seasoning and salt, bind with a little bid of mayo. Small amounts of each, may also chop in the carrots I bought or some of the bagged kale, cabbage etc, also being chopped up. I will see.

Hoping all have a good day and in pockets for those who need me.

• mara51506

For some reason, was unable to edit the food portion of my post, this morning used up black beans, sausage, lentils chopped in with croutons, found some doritos nacho cheese so after I chopped the other stuff, just chopped up the chips. Cooked everything for 3 mins in microwave. Will be adding cheese sauce and sour cream as well. I did also put in a clove of garlic as well. Sour cream and the aforementioned cheese sauce will just stir it up and go to town on it. Put leftovers in a container and later, add chopped egg to it.